Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 4854223 times)

0 Members and 314 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SiliconWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17799
  • Country: fr
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14600 on: September 11, 2026, 05:12:46 pm »
Personally not a huge fan.

What Metcal you used and how?

That was the MX-PS5200. The heating performance was fine but it's mostly the available tips that I liked less than other brands, and I didn't think the price difference was justified.
 

Offline jonpaul

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3976
  • Country: fr
  • Analog, magnetics, Pwr high voltage, Audio, Cinema
    • IEEE Spectrum
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14601 on: September 12, 2026, 07:28:23 am »
German WWII "Mause" morse code key for clandestine spy transmitters, VERY rare.

Perfect condition, made in 1941.



Searched at Ham fleas in EU for years, finaaly , at a good price....

Have a great day,


Jon
The Internet Dinosaur..
passionate about analog electronics since 1950s
 
The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14602 on: September 14, 2026, 11:11:51 am »
..just arrived, super quickly, from FedEx / Probe Master:
 
.10:1 fixed probe (4905-1) 250MHz, 1.0 m, gold plated

..and to make up the order,

.lead forming tools (801, 802, 901 - 3 piece kit)

Also, the other day AI inspired purchase for banana jacks to barrel plug lead - for upcoming AlienTek HP20 hot plate - to be run off the Sorensen XHR 33-33 , hopefully.
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2798
  • Country: de
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14603 on: September 14, 2026, 03:10:04 pm »
German WWII "Mause" morse code key for clandestine spy transmitters, VERY rare.

Perfect condition, made in 1941.



Searched at Ham fleas in EU for years, finaaly , at a good price....

Have a great day,


Jon

-. .. -.-. . / ..-. .. -. -.. / -.-.--  :P

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.
 

Offline Obin

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 132
  • Country: be
  • Hi
    • nacho.works
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14604 on: September 14, 2026, 06:14:19 pm »
I got my hands on the Shannon ST-42 tweezers to repair a PSU I was asked to repair. I hope it will help me in avoiding to desolder every cap to check if it's still good :)

Online Sorama

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: be
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14605 on: September 14, 2026, 06:26:37 pm »
I got my hands on the Shannon ST-42 tweezers to repair a PSU I was asked to repair. I hope it will help me in avoiding to desolder every cap to check if it's still good :)

For my understanding:why would the use of tweezers be any different in measuring components on a pcb?

I have those tweezers and often I need to insolider in order to measure correctly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2026, 06:28:17 pm by Sorama »
 

Online Sorama

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: be
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14606 on: September 14, 2026, 06:36:23 pm »
I bought this last Friday:

A logic analyzer from Fnirsi (my first Fnirsi):
https://www.fnirsi.com/products/dla-32?variant=48343625007322

 

Offline iet

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 495
  • Country: cz
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14607 on: September 14, 2026, 08:28:37 pm »
I got my hands on the Shannon ST-42 tweezers to repair a PSU I was asked to repair. I hope it will help me in avoiding to desolder every cap to check if it's still good :)
As a rule, in automatic mode (F=1 kHz), you can check the capacitance and ESR of the capacitors you wish to test directly on the circuit board—naturally, after discharging them first.
 

Offline jonpaul

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3976
  • Country: fr
  • Analog, magnetics, Pwr high voltage, Audio, Cinema
    • IEEE Spectrum
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14608 on: September 15, 2026, 04:36:04 am »
I am not a software/computer expert....

Found Dumped  with huge  pile of parts on main shopping street in Paris, 6eme

What are these? Any idea the value?

Enjoy,

The Internet Dinosaur..
passionate about analog electronics since 1950s
 

Offline abeyer

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 947
  • Country: us
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14609 on: September 15, 2026, 04:51:15 am »
What are these? Any idea the value?

That MSC board looks like an SMARC compute module... can't read most of the chips, but the processor is an iMX8. Looks like they're ~$50-$200 USD for new ones, probably mostly driven by how much ram and flash it has on board.
 
The following users thanked this post: jonpaul

Offline jonpaul

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3976
  • Country: fr
  • Analog, magnetics, Pwr high voltage, Audio, Cinema
    • IEEE Spectrum
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14610 on: September 15, 2026, 06:10:33 am »
Abeyer, many thanks, I found these links...

https://www.tria-technologies.com/product/tria-sm2s-imx8/
https://www.microchip.com/content/dam/mchp/documents/UNG/ProductDocuments/UserGuides/EVB-LAN7430-Evaluation-Board-User-Guide-50002841B.pdf

Amazingly they were NIB with static sealed bags, the gray rectangle in upper left is one of 16 HS silicone transfer pads.

Are these old version or current?

Have a great day,


Jon


The Internet Dinosaur..
passionate about analog electronics since 1950s
 

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14611 on: September 15, 2026, 11:47:48 am »
..retrieved from the blue (paper) bin yesterday - thanks Evri  ???

Tested this morning, de-stressed - my first hot plate - AlienTek HP20.

Ran well on the Sorensen SMPS

Tested out on a mouse switch - Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

dislodging an 0201 resistor? too

[edited. to add Evri's delivery picture]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2026, 12:06:39 pm by armandine2 »
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9820
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14612 on: September 16, 2026, 09:33:47 pm »
I bought a set of banana to wire connectors with Wago-style levers.

If you are lucky all of them are crimped correctly internally and the jack wont wiggle around. I think I had one or two with loose internal crimp so not good for high current or low resistance measurements.
You can open up the case and solder the connection if needed.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2026, 09:37:05 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline GilbouFR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 40
  • Country: fr
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14613 on: September 17, 2026, 07:35:15 pm »
Karel, I have one esp32 that came with my Elegoo Kit and two more "chinese clones" of the Esp32 I use together to study various communication protocols.

Would that nucleo be a good card as an "upgrade" vs an Esp32 to build projects ?
 

Offline d-el

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 258
  • Country: ua
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14614 on: September 20, 2026, 01:03:32 am »
A successful auction — a complete Anritsu S818 kit in like-new condition. Even the battery still works and holds a charge for about an hour. The highlight of the lot is the 28N50-2 and 22N50 calibration kit.
The instrument turned out to be fully functional. A day later, I measured the calibration standard again, and it showed an absolute SWR of 1, unlike VNA for DIY.

Offline basinstreetdesign

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 470
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14615 on: September 20, 2026, 03:51:42 am »
Couple weeks ago, I dropped into the London (Ontario) Amateur Radio Hamfest.  I was debating with myself whether or not to go all the way there.  Stumbled across a TEK2715 Spect An. (9kHz - 1.8 GHz) on sale for CDN$350.  I bought it assuming it would need fixing.  When I got it home it powered up, went through all its checks and worked just fine in all modes with all controls.  I thought I did pretty well considering that in very good shape, these go for about US$1000 on ebay.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2026, 03:55:05 am by basinstreetdesign »
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!
 

Online paulca

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6437
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14616 on: September 20, 2026, 06:49:54 am »
For the second time in a row...   a clatter of SOIC 74 series gates for a project.  Only for them to just be "too many" and for them all to be replaced with an FPGA.  While I collect a right old collections of SMD 74series in unopened bags.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  68000 Self Build computer + OS.
 

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14617 on: September 26, 2026, 01:53:59 pm »
...a better Evri experience  :clap: today to the door.

The "new" must have TE perhaps - AlienTek DM40C  :-DMM

..went for the better probes and a screen saver protector - which I've put on rather offset right, but it works for me (could've been much worse).

The meter does have a nice display.

[edited to add display of joule thief's last gasps]

« Last Edit: October 04, 2026, 12:37:17 pm by armandine2 »
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 

Offline Salient666

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 232
  • Country: nl
  • Ohm Sweet Ohm
    • Wavetable.nl
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14618 on: September 26, 2026, 03:44:44 pm »
Not really Test Equipment but this is something I wanted to have for a while and now just went for it.
Buying 6-1/2 digit bench multimeters just to check if a regular nine-volt battery is still alive.
 
The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14619 on: September 26, 2026, 05:58:30 pm »
.. haha, just been programming my HP-71B, in between assembly of the just arrived crystal tester / frequency counter.

..a bit of a pain to put together - I went for two smd 47pf (C0G) caps either side of the crystal, not a good picture. Seems to have worked.

[edited to add counter measure frequency => 2.5 Vpp (50-ohm) and 5.0 Vpp (Hiz)]



« Last Edit: October 04, 2026, 12:33:13 pm by armandine2 »
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 

Offline gamalot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14620 on: October 05, 2026, 07:29:00 am »
Bambu Lab X2D Combo 3D printer.
I'm a poet, I didn't even know it. |  https://youtube.com/@gamalot | https://github.com/gamalot
 

Offline Renate

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1748
  • Country: de
    • Renate's Android Page
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14621 on: October 05, 2026, 10:16:24 am »
Bambu Lab X2D Combo 3D printer.
According to that photo the build plate is mounted on five casters. >:D
 
The following users thanked this post: Kilrah, gamalot, Roehrenonkel

Offline gamalot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14622 on: October 05, 2026, 12:05:33 pm »
Bambu Lab X2D Combo 3D printer.
According to that photo the build plate is mounted on five casters. >:D

Very insightful observation!  :-+
I'm a poet, I didn't even know it. |  https://youtube.com/@gamalot | https://github.com/gamalot
 

Offline abeyer

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 947
  • Country: us
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14623 on: October 05, 2026, 11:49:52 pm »
According to that photo the build plate is mounted on five casters. >:D

I want to read (or maybe I don't!) the motion control logic for driving around with five stepper motor driven swivel casters.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->