Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 498589 times)

rsjsouza, Kim Christensen and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2375 on: November 02, 2022, 07:14:53 pm »
The "really high end" units got separate Treble and Bass. Those were the days.
Wood-veneer Panasonic RE-7860, with the cassette player on the otherwise empty top side; black front, with Volume, Balance, Bass, and Treble knobs, two analog VU meters, red LED on the tuner to indicate stereo transmissions, and analog radio signal quality meter.  Oh, the memories...

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2376 on: November 02, 2022, 07:32:06 pm »
To this day I still prefer analog VU meters. Probably my version of "tube sound"... not real but a "feel" thing. It just doesn't feel like a real mixing console without VU meters swinging their needles.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2377 on: November 02, 2022, 09:03:15 pm »
The term “first harmonic” aka fundamental.
A harmonic implies a multiple of the fundamental frequency.
Wikipedia contradicts itself here IMHO:
A harmonic is a wave with a frequency that is a positive integer multiple of the fundamental frequency, the frequency of the original periodic signal, such as a sinusoidal wave. The original signal is also called the 1st harmonic,

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2378 on: November 02, 2022, 09:50:40 pm »
The term “first harmonic” aka fundamental.
A harmonic implies a multiple of the fundamental frequency.
Wikipedia contradicts itself here IMHO:
A harmonic is a wave with a frequency that is a positive integer multiple of the fundamental frequency, the frequency of the original periodic signal, such as a sinusoidal wave. The original signal is also called the 1st harmonic,
From a physics terminology perspective it is correct, because 1st multiple of the fundamental frequency is the fundamental frequency itself, as 'multiple' here is a noun, not an adjective (and only the adjective has the "more than one" sense).  Thus, "harmonic" does not actually exclude the fundamental itself.  Compare to e.g. harmonic oscillator.

Similarly, in mathematics, the smallest positive multiple of two is two.

Now, I do not know about the definitions and usage in say radio and radio-frequency electronics, as these terms are completely arbitrarily defined by us humans, and the definitions do vary between fields.  I am only pointing out that the usage of first harmonic being the fundamental frequency is completely in line with how physicists and mathematicians use the terms "harmonic" and "multiple".  So please don't bite my head off, if your experience in some other field says otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: November 02, 2022, 09:52:23 pm »
I don't see a contradiction. One (1) is a "positive integer", and if you multiply the fundamental by this positive integer you get the original frequency. Calling the fundamental the "1st harmonic" is consistent with this.

I do love calling out linguistic errors, but I'm afraid I don't see a problem here.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2380 on: November 02, 2022, 10:10:34 pm »
I only found out recently for sure which the first is as I also confused first harmonic with the 2x, linguistically if a harmonic is a multiple then you would assume 2 but yes mathematically 1 makes sense.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: November 02, 2022, 11:32:32 pm »
In music the fist harmonic is "an overtone accompanying a fundamental tone at a fixed interval", and I suspect most non-mathematicians might think that way. But it is hardly unique: programmers tend to count from 0 whereas everyone else counts from 1, and a UK 1st floor is the floor above the ground floor, whereas a US 1st floor is the floor level with the ground.

There should be standards for this kind of thing  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2382 on: November 02, 2022, 11:57:37 pm »
Plain:

It is even worse. Some buildings in the US have a Ground Floor and then a First Floor. Like in the UK and elsewhere.

Then there are the other buildings that have the First Floor on the ground level.

I think this is the Architect's creativity coming out.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: November 03, 2022, 12:06:06 am »
'multiple' here is a noun, not an adjective (and only the adjective has the "more than one" sense). 
I'm a native English speaker and yet you know more about it than I do. LOL   :D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2384 on: November 03, 2022, 12:24:41 am »
Plain:

It is even worse. Some buildings in the US have a Ground Floor and then a First Floor. Like in the UK and elsewhere.

Then there are the other buildings that have the First Floor on the ground level.

I think this is the Architect's creativity coming out.

The ones that bother me are tall buildings that don't have a 13th floor. It should be obvious that they do in fact have a 13th floor, and calling it 14 doesn't change that. The fact that it's 2022 and people in a developed nation still believe in the concept of an unlucky number just does not compute to me.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2385 on: November 03, 2022, 12:52:33 am »
'multiple' here is a noun, not an adjective (and only the adjective has the "more than one" sense). 
I'm a native English speaker and yet you know more about it than I do. LOL   :D
You express yourself natively in it, whereas I have to do real work to try and express myself in it.  I don't actually "know" more, I just have to rely on the rules others have discovered about the language; the stuff that is written in dictionaries.  So, you're the fluent one, whereas I just point out stuff others have said, because I rely on them myself to be able to communicate.

Think of it more like someone walking with crutches telling a jogger to beware of rotating their ankle on slippery leaves on the road.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2386 on: November 03, 2022, 12:53:12 am »
People are weird beasts.  I know folks that would speak dismissively about skipping assignment of the number thirteen to a floor, but go on to talk about the importance of feng shui in a house. 

When you are designing a commercial building you are really unlikely to find someone who won't rent because the number 13 is missing from the floor set, but there is a very real possibility that someone won't rent on a floor numbered 13, and even some chance they will shun the building.  The decision to not include the 13 in the floor numbers is a sound business decision.   Just like the decision to include an astrology column in a newspaper.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2387 on: November 03, 2022, 12:57:31 am »
I never have a version 13 of anything. Software or hardware  8)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2388 on: November 03, 2022, 01:07:24 am »
People are weird beasts.  I know folks that would speak dismissively about skipping assignment of the number thirteen to a floor, but go on to talk about the importance of feng shui in a house. 

When you are designing a commercial building you are really unlikely to find someone who won't rent because the number 13 is missing from the floor set, but there is a very real possibility that someone won't rent on a floor numbered 13, and even some chance they will shun the building.  The decision to not include the 13 in the floor numbers is a sound business decision.   Just like the decision to include an astrology column in a newspaper.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: November 03, 2022, 01:09:42 am »
Let's see if there will be a Windows 13.  >:D That's not too far away.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2390 on: November 03, 2022, 01:14:31 am »
   Actually, FENG SHUI is an established science, although I know only bits and pieces about it.  Some of it makes good sense, geometrically.  Like principals that say things like:
    'Keeping doorways clear of clutter, and leaving ample space, so door can open completely', (in my interpretation),  allows 'luck' and 'health' generally to flow and circulate.  Sounds comic book fiction, sure, but Feng Shui has some pleasingly APPROPRIATE fit, I've seen.
   My consultant used partial intuitive reading, and talked about a couple things (in my business office location) that were private / confidential, although she had no direct knowledge.  That's just a bit of mystery.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2391 on: November 03, 2022, 01:18:05 am »
   Actually, FENG SHUI is an established science, although I know only bits and pieces about it.  Some of it makes good sense, geometrically.  Like principals that say things like:
    'Keeping doorways clear of clutter, and leaving ample space, so door can open completely', (in my interpretation),  allows 'luck' and 'health' generally to flow and circulate.  Sounds comic book fiction, sure, but Feng Shui has some pleasingly APPROPRIATE fit, I've seen.
   My consultant used partial intuitive reading, and talked about a couple things (in my business office location) that were private / confidential, although she had no direct knowledge.  That's just a bit of mystery.

Utter nonsense.

Your "consultant" conned you.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: November 03, 2022, 01:21:57 am »
Let's see if there will be a Windows 13.  >:D That's not too far away.
:o :scared: :popcorn:

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: November 03, 2022, 02:36:26 am »

Lemmings are not actually suicidal; they're migratory, and can swim.  Some do drown if the patch of water is wide enough, so maybe that's the origin of the misconception.

The stories about lemmings exploding is probably from predatory birds happening on a migratory group and getting into a feeding frenzy.  (Least weasels, stoats, and foxes tend to eat them whole; birds of prey tend to rip them apart while dining.)

(Only reason I responded to this is because I happened to grow up where they live.)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, PlainName

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2394 on: November 03, 2022, 02:46:51 am »

Lemmings are not actually suicidal; they're migratory, and can swim.  Some do drown if the patch of water is wide enough, so maybe that's the origin of the misconception.

The stories about lemmings exploding is probably from predatory birds happening on a migratory group and getting into a feeding frenzy.  (Least weasels, stoats, and foxes tend to eat them whole; birds of prey tend to rip them apart while dining.)

(Only reason I responded to this is because I happened to grow up where they live.)

In a twist of irony, it’s probably lemmings like me who propagated the myth 😁

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:35 am »

Feng shui is bullshit too of course, it's said to be a science, but talk to 5 different feng shui consultants and you'll get 5 different answers on how to organize the furniture in your bedroom. While I'm not going to personally avoid a building that lacks a 13th floor, I shake my head at the utter absurdity of it all. It should be obvious that there is in fact a 13th floor, even if it's called something else. Then again, there is a large number of people who think that changing the name of something will somehow change what it is, witness the euphemism treadmill.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2396 on: November 03, 2022, 03:53:52 am »
In music the fist harmonic is "an overtone accompanying a fundamental tone at a fixed interval", and I suspect most non-mathematicians might think that way. But it is hardly unique: programmers tend to count from 0 whereas everyone else counts from 1, and a UK 1st floor is the floor above the ground floor, whereas a US 1st floor is the floor level with the ground.

There should be standards for this kind of thing  >:D

In music, an "overtone" is not necessarily a "harmonic".
In physics, for a perfect one-dimensional resonator, such as a vibrating string or organ pipe, the overtones (mis-translation of German "Oberton", Helmholtz' contraction of "Oberpartialton") are harmonics (integer multiples of the fundamental frequency), but for other systems (such as kettle drums and non-perfect one-dimensional systems), the overtones are not harmonic multiples of the fundamental.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2397 on: November 03, 2022, 04:28:37 am »
Crystal resonators overtones are not multiples of the fundamental.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: November 03, 2022, 05:11:03 am »

Feng shui is bullshit too of course, it's said to be a science, but talk to 5 different feng shui consultants and you'll get 5 different answers on how to organize the furniture in your bedroom. While I'm not going to personally avoid a building that lacks a 13th floor, I shake my head at the utter absurdity of it all. It should be obvious that there is in fact a 13th floor, even if it's called something else. Then again, there is a large number of people who think that changing the name of something will somehow change what it is, witness the euphemism treadmill.

So you have validated the business decision.  Skipping a floor named 13 did not lose any business due to an irrational belief.  While you are stipulating that there is a significant (your term was large) number of people who would avoid a floor labeled 13.  So it is an easy decision.  One choice leads to no loss of business.  The other does.  That the reason for the business drop is irrational is irrelevant.  Reality overwhelms theory every time. 

Feng Shui is in an even stronger position.  As prior posters have pointed out, some part of it is actually good design.  The ensemble, BS and rational parts together sells houses and business designs.  So it is rational to operate a feng shui business.  And while there is some part of the rational community that will throw up their hands in disgust and walk away when feng shui is mentioned, the majority of people will just ignore it and buy the property or accept the design anyway.  And it is rational for agents to not waste time showing properties with "bad" feng shui" to clients known to be proponents of the discipline.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2399 on: November 03, 2022, 05:28:38 am »
Skipping a floor named 13 did not lose any business due to an irrational belief.  While you are stipulating that there is a significant (your term was large) number of people who would avoid a floor labeled 13.  So it is an easy decision.  One choice leads to no loss of business.  The other does.  That the reason for the business drop is irrational is irrelevant.  Reality overwhelms theory every time. 

Remember that fellow that wanted to bungee jump of the side of a building? So, off he went. Whump! He made a hole in the dirt at deep as he was wide. When they did the investigation, the guy counted 15 floors or something and so many feet per floor. Didn't know that there was no floor 13. Bungee cord was exactly 1 floor too long.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb, CatalinaWOW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf