Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 472327 times)

Offline boffin

• Supporter
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #3450 on: February 24, 2019, 06:09:56 am »

I've posted it here on a couple of occasions, but here we go again; VW eGolf vs VW Golf (Canadian spec).

eGolf: 17.4kWh/100km (this matches up pretty well with my real-world from the socket numbers https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/21363)
Golf: 8.5l/100km (automatic combined city/highway per NRC CAN reports https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/21002)
5) You picked a gas guzziling version of the car. -- I picked the equivalent.  Diesel versions are not available in North America

6) You're not comparing apples to apples -- Don't know how much closer you can get comparing a gasoline vs the electric version of basically the same car.

Yeah well sorry but  while this may be a one off instance, I would say it's not applicable to a lot of people around the world for a number of reasons.

1. You picked a car which is unusually economical on power and rather thirsty for it's size in the petrol Version.
If I look at the list of cars on the ling you provided, 25-30 Kwh / 100 Km would be far more indicative of the great majority of vehicles on that list.

See, I predicted this, you just don't believe published facts, do you.
Perhaps you have amazing mileage figures that you're pulling out of midair, but I'm using the government published combined city/highway numbers.
As for my claim I cherry picked, let's have a look at the other two cars that have directly available gasoline v electric that are available here in Canada (2018 models) using my 0.0975kWh & 1.379/l for 2018 models we get...

Ford Focus Electric 19.6kWh/100km vs Ford Focus
Cost of Electricity: $1.91
Cost of Gasoline:  $9.65 (best I3 1.0 M6 - 7.0l/100)
Cost of Gasoline: $11.72 (worst I4 2.0 A6 - 8.5l/100)
5-6x cheaper on electricity

Kia Soul Electric 19.3kWh vs Kia Soul 8.5l/100km
Cost of Electricity: $1.88
Cost of Gasoline: $11.72 (1.6 I4)
6.2x cheaper on electricity

Apples to Apples

Secondly, the petrol version is thirsty. We have full size 6 Cyl family cars that get better mileage than that. Look at the jap offerings like camrys that are sold the world over and are a much bigger car and they leave that consumption behind.

Different measuring system.  The European NEDC consumption numbers are typically 20-30% lower than the North American measuring system.   If you're so insistent of using the NEDC petrol (or diesel) consumption numbers, we'll just re-run the numbers using NEDC for everything.  The eGolf's NEDC number is 12.7kWh/100km.  Note NEDC is so far off the mark that they've discontinued it as of late last year.

NEDC numbers:
eGolf: $1.24/100km
Golf: $6.90/100km (your 5.0l/100km number, which you've provided no reference for)
5½-6x cheaper on electricity (using your/EU numbers)

Apples to Apples.

3. What does an e golf and a gas golf cost where you are? From what I can see, the petrol golf is $21 K and the E golf is 31K.
based on your numbers, that means the first 7400L of fuel are relatively free in the petrol version over the savings over the electric. Multiply that by the said 8.5L 100 and that translates to 63,000 KM paid for.

Of course then you have to take into account interest paid or lost on the $10K difference and what I would guarantee will be a Huge hit on resale value of the electric once all these newer, cheaper electrics come out over the next 4-5 Years when one might be looking to replace the EV.  Come the 7-10 Yr mark and you will have to as battery capacity on the EV will be round the block if there is not some " Protection" built into the thing that will let it run at all. 10 years out of a modern Ice car is nothing.
eGolf is about C$36k, Petrol version similarly equipped about $25k
You get $5k from the government for buying electric which makes the difference about $6k, which as you've already pointed out, means that I've have paid the difference off quite quickly (4-5 yrs)

You also don't take into account that a 100k/10yr old petrol engine isn't as efficient as a new one, but then you were never about comparing the same things, were you.

Oh and that interest (@3%) on the 6000 difference?  That's more than paid for by two oil changes (which I'm skipping as an electric owner)

Q: When will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
A: They already have
(much to the annoyance of some people)

The following users thanked this post: gildasd

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3451 on: February 24, 2019, 07:14:02 am »
See, I predicted this, you just don't believe published facts, do you.

NO, try reading again, slowly and spell the words out carefully so you understand and Comprehend what they mean.

No one said they didn't believe the numbers, they just said they wouldn't apply to very many people around the world. 
See the difference between what was said and what you tried to spin doctor it to then argue with yourself about?

Q: When will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?

Whenever the Unicorn and fairy dust believers imagine they have.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3452 on: February 24, 2019, 10:01:00 am »
Get IN a modern IC and you can't feel OR hear the engine. Yes the EV -may- be quieter on the outside but there is no difference on the inside. The EV evangelists would have you believe IC's are like driving down the road in a tracked Dozer.  Modern IC engines are smooth, balanced and have had  tens of Millions spent on them to reduce NVH to levels only machines can measure.

The FAR greatest NVH now does not come from the engine at all, it comes from the ROAD. And electrics are no more smoother than any other car when driving on the same road and anyone that says different is full of ship!
I have to agree with this. Over a decade ago I drove a Renault Megane diesel a few times and I couldn't hear the engine at all. I had to look at the RPM gauge to see if the engine was running. If you want a quiet car you can also spend the extra money on a more luxureous and thus quieter one.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #3453 on: February 24, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
Electric cars are already cheaper to own and run than petrol or diesel alternatives in five European countries analysed in new research.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/12/electric-cars-already-cheaper-own-run-study

The following users thanked this post: boffin

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3454 on: February 24, 2019, 10:35:47 am »
If you want a quiet car you can also spend the extra money on a more luxureous and thus quieter one.

Exactly.

Other car I occasionally Pilot when I have to is a '17 Mercedes GLA 250.
Would challenge anyone to get in that and the EV of their choice blindfolded, go for a drive down the same roads and then tell me which one they were in.
I'd also like to see the readouts of a NVH meter in both cars recording the same journey and compare results.  I'll bet my backside the merc would give a better, quieter and more comfortable ride, especially over poorer roads , than any EV of the same value which will all be entry level things like leafs and the like.

The engineering and ride quality in something all the money went into batteries in is not ( and does not)  give the same ride quality as something that did have the money focused in the areas as ride comfort. 
The merc sticks to the road like shit to a blanket, accelerates like no tomorrow and again would leave any comparable priced EV behind and has brakes and  features in the safety and comfort department a glorified mobility scooter couldn't come near. I'd like to see any EV of comparable value keep up with me in the merc round a tight set of corners, Pull up faster or over take as quickly.  Not even sure they will be a match in 5 years time because even then, at a similar price the majority of the $$ will be going into the batteries and everything else will be a compromise to fit into the price point they want to sell the things at.

And this is a lower end merc. I can only imagine what a mid let alone high end one does or any other comparable models. I think the Merc is overly complicated for a vehicle but it's not my car and I only  drive it on occasion.  Wife loves it though.

I can only imagine the complication and pain in the arse something like a big brother supervised Tesla would be like Navigating through the controls and and features of that thing.
The Merc  can change the colour of the Interior lighting. I thought that was an over the top useless feature.
The Tesla can pulse the lights and flap the doors to the beat of the music it is playing.  :o

YA!

:palm: :palm: :palm:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3455 on: February 24, 2019, 10:37:32 am »
Electric cars are already cheaper to own and run than petrol or diesel alternatives in five European countries analysed in new research.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/12/electric-cars-already-cheaper-own-run-study
But the article doesn't show the actual numbers and 4 years is a very short period to own a car. This graph is based on cherry picked numbers. The fact that a diesel car is shown as most expensive is a dead giveaway. Diesel cars are generally bought by people who drive long distances and get a lower TCO due to cheaper fuel. A car with a diesel engine usually costs more to buy and the owner must pay more for road taxes. If you only drive short distances then a diesel car will be more expensive to own versus gas/petrol.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:40:43 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3456 on: February 24, 2019, 10:54:11 am »

Well, guess we know what all the tight arse scrooges in those countries will be driving now.   ::)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3457 on: February 24, 2019, 12:46:55 pm »
Their numbers say that the most expensive option to own in all five countries is the diesel version of the car. I'd really like to see how they derive numbers that put diesel costs above petrol. I assume they are using a usage model that consists entirely of short journeys, with a low total annual mileage. The reality is that the relative costs of cars with different drive trains varies considerably with usage patterns, so showing just one set of costs is not analysis. Its pushing an agenda.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, george80

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3458 on: February 24, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »
BTW has anyone noticed Toyota has been awfully quiet about electric cars? After some Googling it seems Toyota wants better batteries before they are going to produce any serious amount of electrics cars and China will be their primary market for electric cars. Toyota seems to be fully focussed on hybrid and hydrogen for the rest of the world.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3459 on: February 24, 2019, 04:32:43 pm »
BTW has anyone noticed Toyota has been awfully quiet about electric cars? After some Googling it seems Toyota wants better batteries before they are going to produce any serious amount of electrics cars and China will be their primary market for electric cars. Toyota seems to be fully focussed on hybrid and hydrogen for the rest of the world.
You need to follow the news more. In the last year or so there were big, but inaccurate, news reports about solid state batteries coming from Toyota real soon now. There were less reported corrections that Toyota is talking about 10 years to have these batteries in volume production, and their announcement was only about interesting research results. There were announcements about Toyota taking EVs with current generation batteries much more seriously for near term EV releases, especially since the China market is demanding EVs. The other Japanese car makers are also getting serious about EVs for the same China market requirements. Toyota also made some announcements backing off from hydrogen powered cars being viable as a mass market product.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3460 on: February 24, 2019, 05:19:39 pm »
If you want a quiet car you can also spend the extra money on a more luxureous and thus quieter one.

Exactly.

Other car I occasionally Pilot when I have to is a '17 Mercedes GLA 250.
Would challenge anyone to get in that and the EV of their choice blindfolded, go for a drive down the same roads and then tell me which one they were in.
I'd also like to see the readouts of a NVH meter in both cars recording the same journey and compare results.  I'll bet my backside the merc would give a better, quieter and more comfortable ride, especially over poorer roads , than any EV of the same value which will all be entry level things like leafs and the like.

Funny you should say that.  I traded in my Merc for my eGolf.  No contest on how much smoother the eGolf is.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3461 on: February 24, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »
VW Golfs are known for their stiff ride (I've driven a few models) so I can't imagine how the ride can be better compared to a Mercedes (unless you had a sporty or very cheap Mercedes with a stiff suspension).

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3462 on: February 24, 2019, 06:51:40 pm »
Interesting videos on the Tesloop video channel.
They run Teslas's from California to Las Vegas non stop, up to 17 000 miles a month.

It is short, but it shows that a bit of battery management goes a long way, that there are some rare dud batteries, etc.
Tesloop has 8 of the 10 highest mileage Teslas, supercharge up to 4 times a day and run them as fast as possible... So they can be considered the unofficial accelerated ageing testing program of Tesla.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3463 on: February 24, 2019, 06:54:38 pm »
They run Teslas's from California to Las Vegas non stop, up to 17 000 miles a month.

It is short, but it shows that a bit of battery management goes a long way, that there are some rare dud batteries, etc.
Tesloop has 8 of the 10 highest mileage Teslas, supercharge up to 4 times a day and run them as fast as possible... So they can be considered the unofficial accelerated ageing testing program of Tesla.
Those guys seem to have gone through a large number of replacement motors, due to bearing failure.

Offline GopherT

• Contributor
« Reply #3464 on: February 24, 2019, 07:06:49 pm »
VW Golfs are known for their stiff ride (I've driven a few models) so I can't imagine how the ride can be better compared to a Mercedes (unless you had a sporty or very cheap Mercedes with a stiff suspension).

Noise from the engine at highway speeds is quite high in the cabin of IC vehicles.  Also, wind turbulence below the hood adds additional noise on the other side of the firewall. No grille for cooling air on most EVs. 

Manufacturers of electric cars know that tire noise is the loudest contributor to NVH in their vehicles. Therefore tires are carefully selected and certain compromises are made in performance, durability and price to meet noise targets that OEMs are setting for EVs. For example, the Tesla's were shipping with Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245/45R19, all-season Grand Touring category, with sound reduction foam.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3465 on: February 24, 2019, 07:20:26 pm »

Those guys seem to have gone through a large number of replacement motors, due to bearing failure.
Wasn't that a recall item on early model S's?
Here is an «easy» thread about the issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/99ojac/rich_rebuilds_first_generation_tesla_motor/
And a white paper for deeper info (not specific to Tesla, but I had the same issue with a transformer on board, so a good read): https://www.est-aegis.com/TechPaper.pdf

Here is a Tesloop 350 000 miles Model X with 13% battery degradation. It had 18 000$ of repairs after 215 000 miles (so no electric magic here).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:22:22 pm by gildasd »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3466 on: February 24, 2019, 07:26:05 pm »
Noise from the engine at highway speeds is quite high in the cabin of IC vehicles.  Also, wind turbulence below the hood adds additional noise on the other side of the firewall. No grille for cooling air on most EVs. 
Sorry but you can't make such brush statements. It depends entirely on the ICE vehicle. The more luxureous ones have extra dampening between the drive train mounts / axles mounts and a double wall between the engine compartment and the interiour of the car. The problem I see is that most people who seem to think an EV is quieter compared to an ICE car have never driven a luxureous ICE car.

Tyre noise shouldn't be underestimated. I have had a car with a loud diesel engine on which the tyre noise (Michelin tyres BTW) suppressed the engine noise at speeds over 70km/h. When I got more quieter tyres I could hear the engine again. But then again this is a bout a car from the early 90's.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3467 on: February 24, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »

There was a recall on early model S cars, where the motors failed at 40k miles or so, due to eddy currents in the bearings. If you look through the videos from Tesloop it seems they continue to get failures with the revised motors.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3468 on: February 24, 2019, 07:36:32 pm »

There was a recall on early model S cars, where the motors failed at 40k miles or so, due to eddy currents in the bearings. If you look through the videos from Tesloop it seems they continue to get failures with the revised motors.
Thanks, will do. I want to see their failure mode.

Edit: can you point me to that video, I've been going through their vids for 30min and have found nothing...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:01:19 pm by gildasd »

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3469 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:14 pm »

Funny you should say that.  I traded in my Merc for my eGolf.  No contest on how much smoother the eGolf is.

Really?
Did the E golf come with new, smoother roads for you to drive on too?   ::)

Funny you purposefully omitted telling us which Model and year Merc you traded.
If it was a w123, i'd believe you but anything  5 or less years old.... lets just say i'd put that down to typical green agenda pushing.

Unless you are driving on new roads, the smoothness thing is illogical and does not make any sense from a Physics POV unless you one is again spin doctoring the meaning or application of the term smoothness.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3470 on: February 24, 2019, 09:19:49 pm »

Noise from the engine at highway speeds is quite high in the cabin of IC vehicles.

Again, I don't know what you are driving or what Vintage but even cars going back 10 years I have driven have not been able to hear the engine at highway speeds. Only way you can tell the engine is running is the things are moving forward and the tacho sitting at 2500 RPM tells you so.
I can't even hear the engine in my 15 Yo ute at 110 nor can I feel it's running due to the vibrations from the road at that speed.

Also, wind turbulence below the hood adds additional noise on the other side of the firewall.
That may be true but I can't hear what is 6 ft in front of me in any relatively modern car through the sound deadening.  Where my father lives, if the wind is blowing right you can hear the cars on the distant highway. You never hear engines or wind noise, it's always the sound of the tyres on the road.  If it's raining, you can always hear the sound of the tyres on the wet road much louder.

No grille for cooling air on most EVs. 

Have you seen how small  the grilles are on modern cars and how the main ducting is down low close to the road?
When they build cars, any cars, they put them in wind tunnels and test for this kind of thing. You don't really believe they are going to let cars into production with howling grilles do you?

Ev's in fact have a look of cooling going on for batteries and other things. They may not have a grille at the front but they defiantly have Heat exchangers and fans for cooling.

It's like IC's are made out that these things are not a consideration and they are all made rough as guts where suddenly when the manufacturers build an EV, they suddenly became concerned about NVH.  They put what they had learned about NVH into electrics, they didn't just discover it and how to suppress it over night!

Manufacturers of electric cars know that tire noise is the loudest contributor to NVH in their vehicles. Therefore tires are carefully selected and certain compromises are made in performance, durability and price to meet noise targets that OEMs are setting for EVs. For example, the Tesla's were shipping with Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245/45R19, all-season Grand Touring category, with sound reduction foam.

So one could extrapolate from this that if the same Tyres were used, an IC would get quieter or an EV would get louder because it's  more to do with the tyres than the Vehicle?  THIS sounds logical.

Tyres make such a huge difference to a vehicle. I have 2 sets for my ute, a set of low profile, wide as can fit low profile's with soft rubber and a set of conventional width/ Height for load carrying and towing.  The difference in the way the car handles and performs with nothing else changed bar the tyres is astonishing.  I have noticed the skinny( er) tyers are more noisy which was unexpected  over the low profiles but it is what it is.
The wide tyres are also much better in the wet which is not the way it is supposed to be but again is the reality.
Be understandable if the regular tyres were Cheap rubbish but they were the most expensive and best rated for that size.

I remember the Tyres my wifes new ford came with many years ago, Goodyears.  In my younger days I had put retreads on cars and they were better than these things! Drove the car a few times in the wet and the goodyears were shocking and not so flash in the dry either.  After she spun it a couple of times carefully going round roundabout fully aware of how bad the things were, we took it to a tyre shop and had them replaced with under 10K km on the car.  I said to the guy, bet you don't get many people changing tyres this new.  He said normally not unless people want mags and Bigger tyres but when it comes to these things, we get them all the time! I was surprised and asked why, he looked at me and said the same reason you want to get rid of them, they are complete shit that should never be put on any car! He told me he had bought his wife a new car which had these thing on it and she complained and refused to drive it after a month when she figured out it wasn't the car but the tyres it was sitting on.

I heard many accounts of these same tires later on that were fitted to many new cars and all the stories were the same of how they scared the shit out of people in the wet and dry. Put Yokohama's on to replace these round bits of garbage and it was a different car and could be driven the same in the wet or dry with no concerns at all. I don't say all Goodyears are bad but these things were just dangerous.

I have never heard of foam Filled Tyres. Is this a type of tyre or something that can be pumped into any tyre?

Perhaps what the EV crowd are seeing is not the cars are more smooth and quiet then the IC's at all, They just got a set of better tyres with THE ev than what they had put on the IC?

Can't say I noticed ANY difference in the electric I drove with noise and Vibration either in the city or the country highways I drove it on but I'd guarantee it had the tyres replaced and highly likely if they came with anything special from the factory, they weren't even available to be replaced with the same.... Or would have been paid for by the owner either.

Brings up another aspect of EV ownership though... How much are these special tires over decent conventional rubber?

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3471 on: February 24, 2019, 09:57:53 pm »

BWAHAHAHA!!

Oh dear, the EV evangelists have been shown up again for their endless agenda pushing with the " Smooth and quiet" bullshit.

While looking for more info on the Foam filled tyres, I came across something about sound proffing a Tesla. Went to a tesla fan bio site and with  minimal looking I found a whole heap of posts about people complaining about the noise in their tesla's and pulling the interiors out to sound proof them!   :-DD

Couldn't be more ironic and show up the " Quiet" BS any more convincingly.

Heres just one thread but there are loads more if one does a serch of that site.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/soundproofing-the-p85.23471/#post-485746

If EV's are so bloody quiet, why are all these guys going to so much trouble to put sound proofing in the most hero worshipped EV of all time?   :wtf:

Sorry EV fan bois but your argument of EV's being so much quieter just got shot down in flames by your very own disciples of the religion.
There are clear and repeated statements of people complaining about the noise in the vehicles, particularly road noise so that part of the argument for EV's becomes a truly laughable load of complete and utter crap.   :palm:

I have NEVER heard of anyone ripping out the interior of a $100K IC car to put in more sound deadening! The fact there is a clear interest in doing it to an EV after all the hype and crap I have read about them being quiet as such a huge advantage over IC's shows what bunk it was as I knew soon as I drove one and have said since. 

Too funny, just too funny. You couldn't make that up or shoot the " Quieter" load of bollocks down any better if you tried.

Just goes to show how over hyped and Full of BS the EV evangelists really are. Wouldn't trust a damn thing they or the greenwashed ever said without first hand proof.  :bullshit:

Spose next thing the EV koolaide drinkers will be trying to tell us is they are cheaper to run!
Oh, wait,  hmm, never mind.  |O

The following users thanked this post: DougSpindler

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3472 on: February 24, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »
Yeah. Sound proofing is something you typically find on the higher end cars. On a BMW I've worked on there was (IIRC) at least 5cm of sound proofing materials under the floor mats. That gave me the idea to sound proof my own car (fun project taking all of the interior out including the door lining and adding thick sound proofing rubber wherever I could).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:21:54 pm by nctnico »

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3473 on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:40 pm »

Yes, I have put it in my own vehicles many years ago as well.

The idea of putting it into a car worth $100K and a hell of a lot more here that the fan bois tell you is so much quieter than an IC, is laughable beyond imagination.  I'd not expect to want to put it in ANY new vehicle and the new $25K Kia I went for a trip in the other week certainly didn't have the thought of extra sound proofing ever enter my mind.

By the same token, the desire to add soundproofing is entirely UNsurprising and probably predictable given the endless BS that comes out of the EV and particularly, the Tesla fanbois  whom seriously must be THE most Gullible and brainwashed group of consumers on the whole damn planet.

Seriously, You couldn't give me a Tesla unless I was allowed to drive it for a day then sell it and use the money to buy something else.... and it wouldn't be electric, that I can say for certain!

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3474 on: February 24, 2019, 11:07:48 pm »
Engine noise is audible on many ICE cars.  In fact a lot of effort is spent to get that noise right for the market they are attacking.  I agree that engine noise is not a big deal on many cars and on some it may be truly inaudible.  On my particular older SUVs the engine noise does not stand out when cruising at constant highway speed, but is very noticeable when accelerating to pass or climbing hills.  With the tires I drive tire noise is definitely there, but about the same as other noise components (wind and engine).  I pass and am passed by some for whom tire noise is clearly many dB above other sounds, even the noise of the diesel engine which on large vehicles here in the US is quite loud.

All of this is very subjective and usually well filtered by the brain in both ICE and EV cases.  I am sure owners are not fibbing when they report that their vehicles are relatively quiet.  A more objective metric is how much the radio has to be turned up to listen while on the road.  On my ancient (mid 70s) pickup which never had very good sound control and has had all mostly fail over the years the radio must be operated at ear damage levels.  With more modern cars little additional volume is required.  Of course some vehicles cheat by controlling volume from the speedometer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf