Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 622216 times)

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2050 on: September 29, 2021, 06:28:00 am »
anything new with the buggy firmware?

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2051 on: September 29, 2021, 11:56:14 am »
Is there going to be a fix for Ch2 colors in the future? perhaps i should get purple plastic rings instead. :D

Edit: On 6.1.35R2 when all 4 channels are active the trigger channel source soft button randomly time-wise dont show the new selected source.
        If then pressing slope soft button it "some times" updates the display to the correctly selected trigger channel.

Will the statistics mode in a upgrade be fully programmable? so one can select exactly what one want to see and nothing else?
That would provide 7 independent measurements per CH on user terms and not the automatic additions as per 6.1.35R2, assume its the same for 6.1.37R2
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:01:54 am by MT »

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2052 on: September 30, 2021, 10:14:20 pm »
After firmware update wifi doesn't work, only it recognize the wifi adapter but, I can't configure because is not show menu items for wifi.

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2053 on: September 30, 2021, 10:37:02 pm »
Where I can get the new beta version?

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2054 on: September 30, 2021, 10:45:40 pm »
Where I can get the new beta version?
Probably not available outside beta testers and it may introduce new bugs of its own, after all it's still a beta...  :)

You can downgrade the firmware to 6.1.35R2 for now - it's still available on the firmware download page. I've tested WiFi on 6.1.35R2 and it's working if you need WiFi more than the new features added in 6.1.37R2.

As long as you run a calibration after a firmware change it seems to be possible to freely downgrade and upgrade the firmware on this scope without any issues. (None that I've seen anyway)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 10:49:03 pm by DBMandrake »

The following users thanked this post: rauldm

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2055 on: September 30, 2021, 11:32:53 pm »
Ok, good point, I think must wait for new error free release, new characteristics are very interesants, I like the clock function but I think would be better a real time clock, without internet no clock.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2056 on: October 04, 2021, 06:32:14 pm »
Is anyone using the new counter function?  It appears not to work the way I would expect--it gives you the option of selecting any active channel--and changes the color of the 'Frequency' annunciation to match, but won't actually indicate anything unless the trigger source is that channel.  I'm not sure how that is a helpful feature...
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2057 on: October 05, 2021, 04:03:52 pm »
To re-assure some of those needing the WiFi functionality, a fix is on the way (though I don't have a timescale)

I was recently given a beta version of 37R5 to test the WiFi menu fix, and it worked ok. Th only problem was it reset the NTP auto settings to off, but once toggled back on, they work as expected.

My personal issue, was that the special character $ was not working within the WiFi password (PSK), but I'd had that issue since first buying a WiFi dongle for the unit a long time ago.

It turns out that the $ can be used at the end of an SSID or PSK, but not at the beginning or in the middle.

I was told that all issues around special characters were resolved, so embarked on a test to see which other characters work. My results are below, based on a British keyboard mapping.

Green - It Works.
Red - It Fails.

(Please do not ask for a copy of 37R5, I can't release it, and there may be a further update anyway).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:07:10 pm by tubularnut »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2058 on: October 07, 2021, 03:29:12 pm »
Just because we seems to have an early Firmware-Christmas time with the new features, I would like to post my wishes to Siglent Jesus before all the issues gets ironed out:

Could we just get back the mysteriously blinking stanby LED?

I know that there were some people like Bitluni on youtube who did not like it, but actually apart from the fact that I like that kind of blinking it was very useful:
Without it there is almost no way of knowing  just by the looks that, whether the scope is plugged in when turned off, or that the outlet into which it is plugged in actually getting power. It still consumes 4W so in the energy bill,  the LED would not make any difference, and because the lack of a HW switch one always has to check whether it is plugged in or not, or check if the outlet is switched in or not.
And not just  the high standby consumption which makes it a bad idea to leave plugged in, but also the more stress on the components.
So we lost a useful function because some people were annoyed by the aesthetics, however, it is strange that people get annoyed in a lab full of diplays and lights, by the one single slowly and quiet discretely pulsating single LED.
Even if there are folks who sleep in one room with the scope, the pulling of the plug or turning off the outlet is good general practice, especially because of its pretty high standby consumption.

If this topic would divide people much, and there is no option to set this parameter in the options menu in the scope, only in the FW, it would take only 3 min. for Siglent to have a blinking and a non blinking FW version with no difference in other parameters.

Offline DBMandrake

• Contributor
« Reply #2059 on: October 07, 2021, 03:40:22 pm »
Could we just get back the mysteriously blinking stanby LED?

I know that there were some people like Bitluni on youtube who did not like it, but actually apart from the fact that I like that kind of blinking it was very useful:
Without it there is almost no way of knowing  just by the looks that, whether the scope is plugged in when turned off, or that the outlet into which it is plugged in actually getting power. It still consumes 4W so in the energy bill,  the LED would not make any difference, and because the lack of a HW switch one always has to check whether it is plugged in or not, or check if the outlet is switched in or not.
Oh please god no...  :--

I can't think of a worse feature than having a flashing power light when the scope is turned off. That would be reason enough for me to never update the firmware. If they were to ever add something like this it would need to be a configuration option in the preferences.

My house is full of enough flashing lights (AV cabinet, ethernet switches etc) as it is, and it's located on a shelf in a room that doubles as a spare bedroom.

By the way standby power on mine measures 1.5 - 2 watts not 4 watts.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2060 on: October 07, 2021, 04:13:45 pm »
It was slowly blinking, not like a modem. Like a newer Hotpoint washers "start" LED.
But that is why I mentioned the possible second FW version, if this is a low level stuff. We do not know how many people like it or hate it when pulsating.
Checked again the consumption of mine: 4 Watt. HW version 01-05.
Some people like it like this, some like that, would be almost no extra work to have everyone pleased.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2061 on: October 07, 2021, 04:38:02 pm »
I can't think of a worse feature than having a flashing power light when the scope is turned off. That would be reason enough for me to never update the firmware.

Then you lack imagination!  https://www.hackster.io/news/even-xzibit-would-appreciate-this-pimped-out-liquid-cooled-18k-oscilloscope-1536722378b5

I think the flashing soft-power button is a good idea because it reminds me to shut off the hard power switch on the back....that I can't seem to find.  Oh wait.  :--
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2062 on: October 07, 2021, 07:49:26 pm »

Please  please NO blinking powerbutton when switched off!

:--

Offline rauldm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2063 on: October 09, 2021, 05:02:31 am »
I have a very old tektronix tds3000b and agilent dsox2002, this scopes has very good cursors, you can change units, from time to phase, I have also math mode with equation editor I think can be nice feature, math mode in this scope is very basic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2064 on: October 09, 2021, 08:34:04 am »
I have a very old tektronix tds3000b and agilent dsox2002, this scopes has very good cursors, you can change units, from time to phase, I have also math mode with equation editor I think can be nice feature, math mode in this scope is very basic.
It is but how much can you do with just the Multifunction control in a $500 DSO ?
Do your scopes have 1Mpt FFT ?

If we step up into a similar class to what you have it's a totally different story, 2Mpt FFT, a substantial amount of Math types and a Math Formula editor. The touch and mouse control allows for substantially more complexity.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2065 on: October 09, 2021, 01:52:54 pm »
So did anyone else  measured the standby currend?
DBMandrake: What is your HW version?

Other issue which I would like to doublecheck with others:
Did you notice that if mem depth above 700k is selected, the system seems to be bogged down a littlebit?
So the display update will slow down and have small glitches. Not sure if it's my scope or just the processor is getting to its limit. Best way to test it it, to not to have triggered on anything, just let the noise magnified a bit. Up until about 700k thedisplay update is almost like an analog scope. Without glitches.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2066 on: October 09, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »
It was slowly blinking, not like a modem. Like a newer Hotpoint washers "start" LED.
But that is why I mentioned the possible second FW version, if this is a low level stuff. We do not know how many people like it or hate it when pulsating.
Checked again the consumption of mine: 4 Watt. HW version 01-05.
Some people like it like this, some like that, would be almost no extra work to have everyone pleased.

God grief 4W! Btw the entire panel should blink, like a disco, not just a single led!

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2067 on: October 09, 2021, 04:17:36 pm »
FYI I have the SDS1104X-E ("upgraded" to SDS1204X-E), HW version 01-04, firmware version 6.1.37R2.
I have measured a standby power consumption of 4.3W drawn from the 230V AC wall outlet, with only the power button blinking. This power was measured with an "Voltcraft EKM 265" AC mains power meter. I find this 4.3W quite a lot, considering that the same power meter measures 2.0W for my desktop PC in sleep mode, and 1.0W for the same desktop PC when shut down.

This 4.3W is in line with the 4W that you have measured, taking into account that AC mains power meters may not be very accurate when measuring low power levels.
This also makes me wonder if the 1.5 - 2W power consumption that DBMandrake has measured is correct.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2068 on: October 09, 2021, 05:27:41 pm »
Mine measures 4W in standby as well. Hardware version 01-04.

My vote goes to no blinking power button as well. It's just awful.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2069 on: October 10, 2021, 11:32:53 am »
FYI I have the SDS1104X-E ("upgraded" to SDS1204X-E), HW version 01-04, firmware version 6.1.37R2.
I have measured a standby power consumption of 4.3W drawn from the 230V AC wall outlet, with only the power button blinking. This power was measured with an "Voltcraft EKM 265" AC mains power meter. I find this 4.3W quite a lot, considering that the same power meter measures 2.0W for my desktop PC in sleep mode, and 1.0W for the same desktop PC when shut down.

This 4.3W is in line with the 4W that you have measured, taking into account that AC mains power meters may not be very accurate when measuring low power levels.
This also makes me wonder if the 1.5 - 2W power consumption that DBMandrake has measured is correct.

Thanks for the measurement for both of you! Either Mandrake remembers wrong, or has an even newer HW version.

So you have the newest FW but your power button still blinking?
And yes its a lot, but I don't mind it actually, because sometimes the low staby current is reached with very dubious measures, which can lead to an early failing of the powersupply. I just whant to have a warning to know  that it is not plugged in when turned off.

Anyone else about the scope getting a bit sluggish with higher mem depth? When i turn out all the measurements, it improves by the way, but still not perfect.

Oh one more wish: In persistance mode, some less than one second values, It might be easy to implement.

I can't think of a worse feature than having a flashing power light when the scope is turned off. That would be reason enough for me to never update the firmware.

Then you lack imagination!  https://www.hackster.io/news/even-xzibit-would-appreciate-this-pimped-out-liquid-cooled-18k-oscilloscope-1536722378b5

I think the flashing soft-power button is a good idea because it reminds me to shut off the hard power switch on the back....that I can't seem to find.  Oh wait.  :--
So do you at least suport a hardware switch in the new FW?

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2070 on: October 10, 2021, 02:28:15 pm »
So you have the newest FW but your power button still blinking?
Yes, that is correct. So far I have used three different firmware versions, and all three showed the blinking power button in standby mode.  And since this scope does not have a hard AC mains switch, a blinking power button in standby mode is fine with me. I think you and me agree on this. I would be OK though with a software option for disabling the blinking power button.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2071 on: October 10, 2021, 04:06:29 pm »
Huh, I am not completely alone!  ^-^
I tought that actually the blinking was gone recently because of the new FW people installed, but than it's might be programmed in somwhere else...

Offline DEV001

• Contributor
« Reply #2072 on: October 10, 2021, 04:56:13 pm »
I personally am not a fan of flashing LEDs on powered off devices but I would imagine Siglent could implement the power   LED state option via the settings menu. This is assuming that you can override it via settings files or flash variables.

Hypothetical example settings:

Power Button LED Standby Indicator

Enable: ON / OFF [Default OFF]

If (Enabled)

Pulse LED Delay:       x to (max limit) seconds 
Pulse LED Intensity:   x to 100 %

The values are just placeholders and could be anything supported by the scope.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2073 on: October 11, 2021, 06:42:27 pm »
Yes, it would be indeed really nice like that!

Offline acha666

« Reply #2074 on: October 13, 2021, 01:02:26 pm »
Hi everyone. I have just buoght a SDS1104X-C(almost equals to SDS1104X-E). Does anyone have the wavegen hardware(SAG1021I) or logic probe hardware(SLA1016)? I wonder if they can be made by ourselves.

TIA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf