Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803972 times)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6125 on: December 17, 2014, 08:22:31 am »
As for asking flir about the hack yes I sure did as I was interested to hear his explanation of price difference due to a file or software differences . Hat off to him he was direct and upfront.

Wow, you spoke to mister Flir himself?

for resolution I don't mind paying

Oh thats easy one mate, you sell E4, and buy E8.

Did you find someone to hack it if so I am local to you and would like mine doing

How do you spell entrapment in Leeds?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6126 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:16 am »
Behave ya,self I'm genuine . I need it hacked so come on please help . Money waiting would be worth ya while . Check me out I'm genuine guy www.roofingisus.co.UK . I just want this hacked please cash waiting

Offline saycomp

« Reply #6127 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:55 am »
Hi!

You forget to say that the camera.cmd-file also had to be changed with two add commands.
For the centerspot-file and the no measurement-file. Otherwise this files are not added to the camera.

I unpacked *.fif file and now all is clear.  :D
Manual temperature scale is working now! Thank you for really great job!!!

Janekivi, I want ask you, why you don't add these two lines directly to the "preset_centerspot.rsc" file inside "2.3.0_Menu_Upgrade.fif"?
In *.cmd two lines are missing too.
It's technical reason or this option is only for advanced users?   ;)

Thank you again!

simon

Offline GH05TMS

• Contributor
« Reply #6128 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »
yes cash waiting here too if anyone can hack mine for me. e4 running 2.3.0

I live in Barnsley, south Yorkshire, UK. I have no issue with travelling to you and cash is in my hand waiting! if anyone can help that would be brilliant.

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6129 on: December 17, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »
In the older firmware (and apparently in mine) there is a functional hidden USB menu you can go to from the onscreen menu.  Select settings, Device Settings, Camera Information, then when you are on the menu item for Model (on mine this reads E4 1.2L), hold down on the right direction pad for about 10-15 seconds it will take you into a set of hidden menus, one is USB mode, others are export information, Version Information, and Latest Calibration date.  If you hold down on the button too long it will take you into the Version information menu, if that happens just go up a directory level to see USB mode.  In some later firmware versions it appears that this menu is still available, but that the selector button simply does not change any of the settings.  One of these settings allows the use of RNDIS mode without having to do the Set_RNDIS hack
cool Thx a lot!!

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6130 on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »
There is a Zoro.com 25% off coupon code that still works, but it expires TONIGHT. The discount code is TRAIN -- I just tested it with an e4 in the cart and it works. Again, it expires tonight, so it appears that you lucked out.

Indeed. It worked for me. Thanks so much! Now, we'll see if I'm another lucky old-stock lottery winner... :)

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #6131 on: December 17, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
Makes 2 of us.... Mine is still pending shipment. Thanks again @tsmith35

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6132 on: December 17, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »
2.3.0 Menu hack:
if you download 2.3.0_Menu_4.zip
and install it with FLIRInstallNet to camera, then you have new preset_centerspot.rsc
add there line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
after or before - .ui.userSettings.hideGraphics bool false
then you can set scale to "lock" and after changing "measurement" from "no" to "center spot"
up down left right moving temperatures
thanks! I also can not quit understand that part "add there line - .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true
after or before - .ui.userSettings.hideGraphics bool false"
Dose that means I need download the “preset_centerspot.rsc” in RNDIS mode and modify it by adding “- .ui.userSettings.scaleInteractive bool true” then upload it?

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6133 on: December 17, 2014, 04:42:29 pm »
Need someone's help! There is always a notice of connection timeout  in using FLIRInstallNet after hacking……what‘s wrong?I wang to use menu hacking :-// |O someone……help?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6134 on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »
Yes, download from camera and edit and put back.
I had presets in camera.cmd but some dwarfs stole it from here, in restore they still in place...

2.3.0_Menu_5.zip

And that CRC - when we have stock E4 2.3.0, then we have with reso crack hacked dll and then we don't
need no CRC or signature. For example you can erase from conf.cfc data from ID nr at 1928 to file end
markings 19BF and have shorter conf. All still working. When I played with older software files I hacked same
crc procedure in dll and then was too no need for crc in plain text conf files. Then I used some files from 1.18.7.
With them I didn't got menu, only was simple to test other parameters. That crypted conf is tricky to edit...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:21:21 pm by janekivi »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6135 on: December 17, 2014, 04:50:26 pm »
Need someone's help! There is always a notice of connection timeout  in using FLIRInstallNet after hacking……what‘s wrong?I wang to use menu hacking :-// |O someone……help?

I can too use FLIRInstallNet only one time with one file then I must close it and open again
and then I can run other fif. (Win 7 32bit). Not big problem for me.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6136 on: December 17, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »

You can do everything using a ftp program. User: flir , pass: 3vlig
Unpack the fif file and see what commands are sent in the cmd file. Then just manipulate the files in ftp mode. This is assuming you set the camera to RNDIS mode first - either from the camera hidden menu (for pre- 2.3.0 native firmware) or via flirinstallnet. I have set mine to permanent RNDIS so i can reboot and go straight to ftp again, until i settle the configuration. The downside of this is Cannot import images into Flir Tools (but still can download/view them via ftp as generic  jpg files)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6137 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »
So just to double check with my resolution hacked E4 using the python script on an original E4 1.2L upgraded to 2.3.13 

I should be able to download Janekivi's latest Menu5 zip file
unzip it, then unzip the Menu Upgrade fif file and then manually copy the files to their respective subdirectories using ftp in RNDIS mode, making appropriate ftp backups of the files being changed?

No need to use flirtools or FlirInstallNET?

Being originally 1.2L I also don't need to worry about generating a new CRC value?

Thanks, just looking for clarification to minimize the chance to bricking

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6138 on: December 17, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »
So just to double check with my resolution hacked E4 using the python script on an original E4 1.2L upgraded to 2.3.13 

I should be able to download Janekivi's latest Menu5 zip file
unzip it, then unzip the Menu Upgrade fif file and then manually copy the files to their respective subdirectories using ftp in RNDIS mode, making appropriate ftp backups of the files being changed?

No need to use flirtools or FlirInstallNET?

Being originally 1.2L I also don't need to worry about generating a new CRC value?

Thanks, just looking for clarification to minimize the chance to bricking
We don't know what this update is. I have stock E4 1.2L 2.3.0 and zip name is 2.3.0 ...
Try them with ftp but make before backup for all files what you can read with ftp. I made fif
because for others this is simplier to use and working when camera not booting. But then you can
use user: anonymous psw: NcFTP@ and restore original files.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6139 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:14 pm »
Janekivi, can you give me the time stamp dates for the original files that get switched out by your Menu 5  for 2.3.0 so I can see if any of those have changed with 2.3.13

thanks
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:12:34 pm by Isaac-1 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6140 on: December 17, 2014, 08:17:22 pm »

Backup the files by transferring them to your PC. People previously reported problems if you just rename the file and leave it on the camera.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6141 on: December 17, 2014, 09:03:39 pm »
Janekivi, can you give me the time stamp dates for the original files that get switched out by your Menu 5  for 2.3.0 so I can see if any of those have changed with 2.3.13
All my files in camera have one 2014 midsummer time +/1 minute diference...
You must compare your files and look what time they all have and what is newer, what updated lately.
Compare contents and there may be always something new what disabling to toutch some files.
I think as long as you do not toutch windows you can use ftp to restore.
My menu is working in my 2.3.0 E4 and made for it. This is your playground, give a try
or not : )
And yes, with multiple files may be problems.
There is not much free disk space in camera and it loads files if they are renamed, for example conf.cfc
He is loading files what in that place where he must load something whatever the name is. And menu is
defined by default design_ui*.xml facet_*.rcc - that is another point what you must notice.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6142 on: December 17, 2014, 09:16:13 pm »
I will likely not have enough free time to try it until the weekend, but I will post back and let everyone know how it goes with 2.3.13

Offline newguy

« Reply #6143 on: December 18, 2014, 04:08:22 am »
I recently purchased an E4 , 1.2L 2.3.0 firmware and applied the v.03 resolution hack.  The resolution seemed to have been complete but I lost the MSX capability and the image is actually worse (albeit with less noise) than the original.  Any ideas on how to get the MSX function back?  I have the backup files and have already restored the unit to original and the MSX returns and then I did the hack again and same result, no MSX.  Any ideas??

I also notice that the center spot function was deleted as well.

Will the menu hacks restore these?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:16:29 am by newguy »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6144 on: December 18, 2014, 04:34:52 am »
Was that the right package? I used v0.4 from message #5633

Offline newguy

« Reply #6145 on: December 18, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »
Was that the right package? I used v0.4 from message #5633
I recently purchased an E4 , 1.2L 2.3.0 firmware and applied the v.03 resolution hack.  The resolution seemed to have been complete but I lost the MSX capability and the image is actually worse (albeit with less noise) than the original.  Any ideas on how to get the MSX function back?  I have the backup files and have already restored the unit to original and the MSX returns and then I did the hack again and same result, no MSX.  Any ideas??

I also notice that the center spot function was deleted as well.

Will the menu hacks restore these?

Thanks in advance!

Update:  The menu hacks did not work at all.  In fact all the menues disappeared as well as the temperature scale, only the thermal image remained.  I used the menu restore .fif and got the menues back then overwrote the config and common.dll.dll files with the original backup files so now the camera is back to the stock configuration.  I then tried the v.04.zip hack and again gained the 320 x 240 resolution with reduced noise but lost the MSX feature.  Thanks for the idea.  Any other words of advice?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6146 on: December 18, 2014, 01:45:56 pm »
In menu if yoy select "No Measure" the screen is clear.
About conf. Camera loads any file from directory where
conf must be and this version looking for crypted one. He discards plain text files. If this is not plain text, it trying
to deccrypt it. If there is not readable # ID 63636363CRLF row it disables reso, noise, MSX, spot. Conf.cfc part
from 191A to 1927 in E4 2.3.0 (6608) file must stay unchanged. If you delete conf, reso is 80x60 and noise gone.
Not figured out yet where this MSX stuff is. Something like this it is what I tested. But you have resolution...
I think something is wrong what hack doing with your version conf.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6147 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »
@newguy
Did you remove the backup copies of the files from the camera.
May be you could capture the output of the python script to a file and post here.
After you run the python script login with ftp and check the files indeed were replaced.
The other suggestion is check back messages from janekivi with attachments, extract the facet file and try replacing your facet.rcc with that one (make a backup copy of the original). Unless janekivi can post just the facet file for you.

I have 2.3.0 1.2L and the usual procedure worked for it.

Offline newguy

« Reply #6148 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Bud and Janekivi.  You were right.  I reset the camera using the reset function to factory defaults then ran the v.03 hack again and this time it took!  I then ran the 2.3.0 menu upgrade and that was successful as well.  Now the camera is operating as expected with the enhanced features.

Happy Day!

Again, thanks to all who have worked on this thread / project.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6149 on: December 18, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »
Hello I am considering buying an e4 spoke with flir and they claimed they have stopped the hack ...
Thank you! ...
Now the camera is operating as expected with the enhanced features.
So they not stopped the hack yet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf