Author Topic: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators  (Read 87200 times)

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
Re: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2022, 11:00:58 pm »
It is easy to correct the phase on the 1062x.  I just added about 6" of 50ohm cable.  Scope was in high impedance though.  I got it close.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2022, 11:16:00 pm »
Some kind of default case. If use BodePlot so that only one generator channel is in use and signal is splitted for Ref and DUT, there need care that signal pathways travel times are equal (it need calibrate by adjusting cable lengths without DUT). Still some small phase shift depending frequency.

Just wondering: Does the Bode Plot feature of the scope not support response normalization, in order that the effect of anything in the signal path which is not part of the DUT (cables, adapters, fixtures, probes) can be compensated? (For a network analyzer, such a feature would be taken for granted.)

No, it does not. It is not a VNA, just frequency response analyzer. Just gain and phase. Like all FRA on pretty much all the scopes.

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2022, 10:51:54 am »
I think I know the answer but there isn't such software that can remotely control the SDG1000X from a PC, right?

Offline Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2022, 04:22:09 pm »
I think I know the answer but there isn't such software that can remotely control the SDG1000X from a PC, right?

Take a look at HKJ's Test Controller. It will handle the SDG1000X. You can get it from the link at the bottom of its home page: http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html

There is a long discussion on the forum at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

The following users thanked this post: pope

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2022, 05:51:28 pm »
Actually several.

EasyWaveX
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/waveform-generators/#sdg1000x-series

Requires NIVISA Runtime for instrument connectivity drivers. < Essential this is installed first. RTFM.

SCPI programming:
LXI Tools
https://siglentna.com/application-note/lxi-tools/

And Test Controller.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ybcobob

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2022, 08:38:37 pm »
I'm interested in improving a SDG1032X. So I tried to download some files from here (Reply #74):

https://app.box.com/s/srj3uev2s9wy78qj8d4jzi0j5ocgkmr9

But I only got the message: "This shared file or folder link has been removed or is unavailable to you."

My question: Is there maybe another place or way to get such files? I tried to contact "rf-loop", but
my PM was blocked.

Many thanks for any helpful info!

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2022, 12:12:27 am »
See if through this link, provided by rf-loop in Reply #74, you find what you're looking for:

https://app.box.com/s/zt2mwyylqpjuv8x2xn2yterunizhgznv
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 12:14:15 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: ybcobob

Offline ybcobob

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2022, 12:28:32 am »
@Mortymore: thank you very much!!!

Yes, this link works! The original link in #74 is still correct, but apparently not in subsequent threads (which I tried).

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2022, 09:34:14 am »
Apart from increasing the bandwidth, does it offer any other "improvement"?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2022, 02:56:51 pm »
Does someone know if there's any Siglent Generator with something like the Output Advanced Waveform function of the Rigol DG800 / DG900?

I found that interesting. The functions generates RS232 trafic, Pseudo-Random Binary Sequences...

https://rigol.eu/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/files/ftp/DG/%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/DG800/EN/DG800_UserGuide_EN.pdf (PDF pag.60, numbered as 2-30)

Thanks in advance

@pope
I don't think that apart from the sinusoidal and square wave bandwidth, there's a difference between SGD1032 and SDG1062.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2022, 03:12:24 pm »
Does someone know if there's any Siglent Generator with something like the Output Advanced Waveform function of the Rigol DG800 / DG900?

SDG6000X has PRBS and I/Q modulation. I don't have 1000X/2000X, I don't think they do. Best is to consult datasheets...

I don't think that apart from the sinusoidal and square wave bandwidth, there's a difference between SGD1032 and SDG1062.
You are correct.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2022, 05:43:25 pm »
As far as I could find, the SDG7000 has PRBS also.
This sort of function is not present in the cheapest Siglent AWGs.

Not being an expert, seems that this sort of feature could be implemented via software (firmware), in the current SGD1000/2000 series. Couldn't it?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2022, 05:57:01 pm »
As far as I could find, the SDG7000 has PRBS also.
This sort of function is not present in the cheapest Siglent AWGs.

Not being an expert, seems that this sort of feature could be implemented via software (firmware), in the current SGD1000/2000 series. Couldn't it?
Yes depending on spare internal memory available.
I've just asked for a range of protocols to be added into all SDG models predominantly for scope Decode training and sanity checks.
Why it hasn't been done already IDK.  :-//

Even if we had access to an online waveform library............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2022, 06:05:39 pm »
Apart from increasing the bandwidth, does it offer any other "improvement"?

There is some possibilities to do some improvements to some limits - but careful there... if you go there inside system (example, do not change voltage limits if do not really know what are doing... for some special purpose when user himself also care how it can then use and how not )
But some other limits can adjust without risk to damage hardware, example max sweep time, some other freq limits, some small amount of pulse risetime and some others others, but then user need understand that all may have also some adverse effect and it then do not meet factory specs.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2022, 11:33:50 pm »
New firmware for SDG1000X 1.01.01.33R3 (Release Date 21/04/2022 )

https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/waveform-generators/#sdg1000x-series

Revision History
Fixed a bug. Resolved occasional startup failure

Nothing about RS232 traffic, Pseudo-Random Binary Sequences and such  :--

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2022, 12:15:10 pm »
Hi,

my SDG 1032X, which thinks, it is a 1062X has an issue with syncing to external 10MHz.

FW is the current 1.01.01.33R3.

The 10 MHz signal is at abt. 10dBm sine from my GPSDO.

All is well up to 31MHz gen output.
Above 31MHz, the output frequency is no more accurate and the internal osc of the SDG gives a more accurate output.

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2022, 04:52:22 pm »
Hi,

my SDG 1032X, which thinks, it is a 1062X has an issue with syncing to external 10MHz.

Above 31MHz, the output frequency is no more accurate and the internal osc of the SDG gives a more accurate output.

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

I have FW1.01.01.33R1   (and least I do not update to more new until there is some real reason. (but new ones from factory come with this more new because it need support some component changes)

Tested using HP53131A. 

SDG external reference come from HP reference (in this case HP internal HS Owen option what have low jitter, far better than typical GPSDO's  what walks here and there depending its disciplining quality and OCXO/DOCXO quality etc.) (of course GPSDO's long time average is very good). Absolute freq accuracy is here not important at all. Only some stability - if even it.
Ref.Signal level mesured from SDS reference clock input BNC: 1.97Vp-p  (used external 50ohm load)
SDG 10MHz reference input specified minimum level is 1.4Vpp.

Sidenote, if I understand right your signal power level can not be 10dBm. Until you have terminated SDG reference input with 50ohm, other ways its impedance is 5kohm  and 10dBm mean then 20Vpp sinew. signal. (was just "forced" to say   :D :D )

In this test setup SDG signal output to HP signal input. Sinewave 0dBm (50ohm input).

Can not find this kind of error.

What ever freq I take out from SDG, HP tell perfectly same frequency
In this system, displayed error is somewhere around <= 10 - 20 ppt ! (of course also HP 53131A is only what it is - but well enough for this)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:11:10 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2022, 08:29:16 pm »
Hi,

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

I have FW1.01.01.33R1   (and least I do not update to more new until there is some real reason. (but new ones from factory come with this more new because it need support some component changes)

Tested using HP53131A. 

SDG external reference come from HP reference (in this case HP internal HS Owen option what have low jitter, far better than typical GPSDO's  what walks here and there depending its disciplining quality and OCXO/DOCXO quality etc.) (of course GPSDO's long time average is very good). Absolute freq accuracy is here not important at all. Only some stability - if even it.
Ref.Signal level mesured from SDS reference clock input BNC: 1.97Vp-p  (used external 50ohm load)

Sidenote, if I understand right your signal power level can not be 10dBm. Until you have terminated SDG reference input with 50ohm, other ways its impedance is 5kohm  and 10dBm mean then 20Vpp sinew. signal. (was just "forced" to say   :D :D )

In this test setup SDG signal output to HP signal input. Sinewave 0dBm (50ohm input).

In this system, displayed error is somewhere around <= 10 - 20 ppt ! (of course also HP 53131A is only what it is - but well enough for this)

Hi rf-loop,

thank you for checking this out so quick!

I now have flashed the former fw 1.01.01.33R1B6 and this problem went away.
The SDG 1032X/1062X now syncs just fine to the external 10MHz clock up to its 60MHz signal output.

Looks like we have identified a newly introduced bug in the new fw 1.01.01.33R3

That is the dark side of fw updates. You will  newer know, when they break something, that has been working before.

You are correct regarding the dBm issue. I plea guilty for not having checked the impedance of the ext clock input, but just wrongly assumed it to be 50 ohms.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 08:33:01 pm by Ringmodulator »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Wrenches of Death

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2022, 03:27:31 am »
Hi,

Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Tested using HP53131A. 

Hi rf-loop,

thank you for checking this out so quick!

I now have flashed the former fw 1.01.01.33R1B6 and this problem went away.
The SDG 1032X/1062X now syncs just fine to the external 10MHz clock up to its 60MHz signal output.

Looks like we have identified a newly introduced bug in the new fw 1.01.01.33R3

That is the dark side of fw updates. You will  newer know, when they break something, that has been working before.

You are correct regarding the dBm issue. I plea guilty for not having checked the impedance of the ext clock input, but just wrongly assumed it to be 50 ohms.

Yes.
As we can see there is also change in HW and latest FW need work now with older and new hardwares. But these latest HW versions 03-xx-xx-xx-xx  are not compatible at all with older than 1.01.01.33R1B10.

Due to some reasons I do not want update at all (until some real big changes or fixes in new FW) I can not test how this said error behave.
Did you note some facts about amount of frequency error and other details with it. (how it is even possible... except if the software structures and modularity are like one cup of spaghetti and when you touch one point you don't know what everything is moving )

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2022, 06:30:27 pm »
Did you note some facts about amount of frequency error and other details with it. (how it is even possible... except if the software structures and modularity are like one cup of spaghetti and when you touch one point you don't know what everything is moving )

I did not investigate further about the nature of the frequency error. The generator frequency was definetely too low and looked a bit jumpy when the external ref was used. Of course, I switched the SDG to external clock.

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2022, 01:54:35 pm »
@tautech

Hi Tautech,

it looks like Siglent has an open ear for your input.

Please forward the info about the bug in FW 1.01.01.33R3 regarding the syncing to external 10MHz for signal output above 31MHz.

Thanks
Chris

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2022, 02:40:59 pm »
To check on this SDG1K as we have on SDG2K & SDG6K, while SDG1K may different while square wave done by own converter driver

Setup:

•   Square wave 10Mhz
•   FM modulation 500Hz
•   Low FM deviation value 1Hz or lower, may also on 2Hz

Issue:

•   Modulation fades out after a while, use SSA3K to validate

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2022, 09:16:27 am »
Can someone please tell me how the heck I can save beeper:Off and Screensaver:ON ?

Every time I restart the unit, it goes back to the initial settings (beeper:On and Screensaver:Off)

Also, is there a way to overwrite a saved file?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2022, 09:34:43 am »
Can someone please tell me how the heck I can save beeper:Off and Screensaver:ON ?

Every time I restart the unit, it goes back to the initial settings (beeper:On and Screensaver:Off)
Utility>System>Power On = Last ?
RTFM P78
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/user/SDG1000X/SDG1000X_UserManual_UM0201X-E01D.pdf
2.12.1 Storage System
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2022, 09:50:05 am »

Utility>System>Power On = Last ?
RTFM P78
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/user/SDG1000X/SDG1000X_UserManual_UM0201X-E01D.pdf
2.12.1 Storage System

1. Can I somehow set the beeper and the scrnsaver to the settings I want for good and all. I have something like 20 saved files. Do I have to go through all of them to change the beeper and scrsaver settings? Also, I don't want to load the last setting when poering on. I want to load the initial settings with the beeper OFF nd the scrsaver OFF.

2. Unless I'm blind there's no mention about overwriting a file in the FM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf