Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3082588 times)

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #7575 on: December 26, 2016, 09:37:31 pm »
Let the batteroo get hot in some innocuous application, and effectively do a 'Note 7'... :-BROKE

If that really happens, it won't be long until batteroos are prohibited on airplanes.

That is, of course, if batteroo really sells enough to be noticed by IATA, NTSB and other civil aviation and air transportation associations.

On a side note, I wonder how bateroo behave on non-rechargeable lithium batteries, like the Energizer Lithium Ultimate.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7576 on: December 26, 2016, 10:10:21 pm »
Or could that be that the batteries just got shorted with the metal sleeve? As Dave pointed out that this is a potential cause of trouble. To create a thin and durable insulation could be tricky. Mainly I'm a bit worried at the corners. Can someone with a Batterizer have a closer look how well it is manufactured? Maybe even measure the conductivity with a connective foam or other soft conductive material. Just to prevent claims that the used probe damaged the insulation.

Depending how sharp the corner is I could imagine that the corner of the sleeve can also probably cut through the insulation of the battery. Especially if you have to squeeze it into the battery compartment.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7577 on: December 26, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »
It's been 5 days since I got the shipping notification, but still USPS tracking doe not recognise the number.
But maybe because it's xmas?

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #7578 on: December 26, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
It's been 5 days since I got the shipping notification, but still USPS tracking doe not recognise the number.

No, it's because they generated a label but the package hasn't been scanned in yet by USPS. Even international packages are scanned in, so you should see something if it'd actually been shipped.

(That said, USPS tracking is notoriously flakey, though it's been much better over the last year or so. At the very least tracking would always show the initial pickup/drop off, even if it didn't update again until after I had received the item.)

This is a not uncommon scam to pull when you need to buy time to ship the actual product. (That is sending tracking numbers that don't work to customers.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7579 on: December 26, 2016, 11:59:50 pm »

No, it's because they generated a label but the package hasn't been scanned in yet by USPS. Even international packages are scanned in, so you should see something if it'd actually been shipped.

It could also be because of the holidays. The US Post Office takes every holiday in the calendar as a non-working day, so I imagine Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday were all dead days.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7580 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:24 am »
The AAA Batterisers are still marked "Arrived at Delivery Facility in SYDNEY", so won't be out today by the looks of it.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7581 on: December 27, 2016, 12:54:37 am »

The irony is they already do. It's called a DC-DC converter.

Did Santa not bring you a sarcasm detector Dave? :)

He already has one, but the batteries won't work, yet still have 80% of their energy unused.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7582 on: December 27, 2016, 03:58:22 am »

If you look at razvanme's tracking number which actually arrived. The tracking number format "RE*****SE" means it's sent from Sweden (SE) as a "Rekommenderat Brev" (RE, insured letter). My tracking number from batteroo is the same format and I don't live in Europe.

It tracks on PostNord (Sweden) as simply going through DirectLink http://www.postnord.se/en/tools/track/Pages/track-and-trace.aspx?search=RE516481241SE

You can also track it with DirectLink https://tracking.directlink.com/multipletrack-client2.php?postal_ref_mode=1

It tracks on Post Romania with all the steps it went through romania https://www.posta-romana.ro/track-trace.html

The USPS has never heard of it https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

I don't think Bob even knows what shipping company they're using...

(this post was edited after I noticed I typoed the tracking number once and made the wrong conclusions)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:06:03 am by kalleboo »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7583 on: December 27, 2016, 04:28:22 am »
If you look at razvanme's tracking number which actually arrived. The tracking number format "RE*****SE" means it's sent from Sweden (SE) as a "Rekommenderat Brev" (RE, insured letter). My tracking number from batteroo is the same format and I don't live in Europe.

Mine is LBxxxxxSE
No joy on either of those links.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7584 on: December 27, 2016, 05:10:09 am »
Yes but that person is talking about led candles. Normal led candles work ages on batteries.
Something is wrong there.

Yes it would take a short to make a battery too hot to touch. I was surprised they even made an AAA version because there is so little space around the battery +ve 'pip' to fit components. The shape and size of the 'pip' doesn't seem to be tightly defined.

Looking at this I could see the inductor shorting on the top of the battery which could bypass it. The switcher might still try to work with a shorted inductor, probably at several MHz with a few % efficiency.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7585 on: December 27, 2016, 06:38:10 am »
The AAA Batterisers are still marked "Arrived at Delivery Facility in SYDNEY", so won't be out today by the looks of it.

Not sure what's going on there. One they hit Australia, is most likely Australia Post has the contract to deliver them, in which case they generate their own tracking details (sometimes you can track "international tracking numbers"). AusPost are pretty good, they generally update their tracking details within 15 minutes of passing under one of their scanners, even at rural facilities that use those handheld PDA devices.

Try punching in your tracking number on AusPost's website. Sometimes they recognise tracking details from other carriers. If it was sent a "letter" good luck. Those aren't usually trackable (I had the same issue with a Kogan delivery, it had an "article number" not a "tracking number" and nothing recognised it after it had been lodged, even in Australia Post's own internal system).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:43:37 am by Halcyon »

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #7586 on: December 27, 2016, 07:25:33 am »
Yes but that person is talking about led candles. Normal led candles work ages on batteries.
Something is wrong there.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZTE A2017G met Tapatalk
Good catch, I read before it said not to use them with LED flashlights, I missed the candle part.  I saw another person mention it said flashlights, so o guess I jumped to flashlight.
Im not sure it specifically says LED candles, maybe I need to watch tha unboxing video again since they don't lost this on the website. What a pain, buy them first then find out it won't work for what you bought it for until you'd read the  pamphlet inside the package.
The web site doesn't even mention this in the FAQ, now we will see if they are reading this thread and they fix it.
You would think if something is known to be not compatible and would get the battery to hot to touch it should be mentioned up front on the website selling them.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7587 on: December 27, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
Rebellion in the ranks over at IGG...
YU CHAN CHO

U R LIAR
I want to cancel my order

https://youtu.be/pj6GyGVWwto

Looking forward to Bob's response....

:popcorn:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7588 on: December 27, 2016, 11:57:31 am »
Rebellion in the ranks over at IGG...

LOL

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7589 on: December 27, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »

Same procedure as every year James: deleting the comment. Or posting their train video, where you can see a 2 minute video of a different train, and the argument that at least it runs faster with the sleeve. Original quote from their facebook posting (it is on Wayne's page, but I guess he got the text with the video from Batteroo) : "At what point would the average person decide that train 1 was too slow and change the battery? (Probably when little Johnny started throwing a tantrum because it wasn’t going fast enough!)."  :blah:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7590 on: December 27, 2016, 02:38:02 pm »
(Probably when little Johnny started throwing a tantrum because it wasn’t going fast enough!)."  :blah:

What sort of brats do these people own?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7591 on: December 27, 2016, 06:40:14 pm »
(Probably when little Johnny started throwing a tantrum because it wasn’t going fast enough!)."  :blah:

What sort of brats do these people own?

The whiny entitled Millennial kind, who want instant gratification, and have never been told "NO" in their lives, and who have the helicopter parents who will wrap them in fluffy stuff, so their delicate sensibilities are never offended, and pander to every whim.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7592 on: December 27, 2016, 07:30:22 pm »

Same procedure as every year James: deleting the comment. Or posting their train video, where you can see a 2 minute video of a different train, and the argument that at least it runs faster with the sleeve. Original quote from their facebook posting (it is on Wayne's page, but I guess he got the text with the video from Batteroo) : "At what point would the average person decide that train 1 was too slow and change the battery? (Probably when little Johnny started throwing a tantrum because it wasn’t going fast enough!)."  :blah:

You were correct, Bob's back, and the offending comment has disappeared.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #7593 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:22 pm »

Not sure what's going on there. One they hit Australia, is most likely Australia Post has the contract to deliver them, in which case they generate their own tracking details (sometimes you can track "international tracking numbers"). AusPost are pretty good, they generally update their tracking details within 15 minutes of passing under one of their scanners, even at rural facilities that use those handheld PDA devices.

Try punching in your tracking number on AusPost's website. Sometimes they recognise tracking details from other carriers. If it was sent a "letter" good luck. Those aren't usually trackable (I had the same issue with a Kogan delivery, it had an "article number" not a "tracking number" and nothing recognised it after it had been lodged, even in Australia Post's own internal system).

Actually they frequently go through a company called DAI Post first to clear customs etc then auspost delivers then.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7594 on: December 27, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »
Every backer of the Indiegogo campaign got burnt - just some more literally than others.

The U R LIAR post got deleted while the earlier too hot to touch candle post survived without comment.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:53:00 pm by Hensingler »

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7595 on: December 27, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »
Every backer of the Indiegogo campaign got burnt - just some more literally than others.

The U R LIAR post got deleted while the earlier too hot to touch candle post survived without comment.
This must be what Bob meant when he claimed they'd made history.....  Batteroo will be remembered as the dumbest invention supported by the most dishonest campaigner.
In the future, children will sing songs about it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 09:28:11 pm by Blocco »

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7596 on: December 27, 2016, 09:17:15 pm »
For those playing along at home... Looks like Dave's first Batteroo's are "With Delivery Courier"/"Out for delivery" as of time of this post...

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7597 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:59 pm »
I wonder how long before the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission issue a recall for these devices due to them being unsafe, a fire risk and risk of battery leakage?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7598 on: December 28, 2016, 01:15:43 am »
For those playing along at home... Looks like Dave's first Batteroo's are "With Delivery Courier"/"Out for delivery" as of time of this post...

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #7599 on: December 28, 2016, 01:18:57 am »

Delivered - Signed for by : RACHEAL W
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf