Poll

So, what you (UK) guys think? Exit or not to exit?

YES, please get me out of there (I'm UK) [go]
41 (19.5%)
Hell no, we are one big (happy) family! (I'm UK) [stay]
42 (20%)
OMG, let them Go! [go]
63 (30%)
I love the UK, they are family! [stay]
64 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 am

Author Topic: UK forum members, BREXIT?  (Read 516166 times)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: UK forum members, BREXIT?
« Reply #1500 on: July 01, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
And I think that a lot of politicians in the UK that blamed the EU the last years for everything that did not went well in the country have to find a new excuse  :popcorn:

The new excuse will be. . . . . .

"It's all because we LEFT the EU (Brexit), NOT our faults at all, even slightly. Now can I have my triple pay rise, thank you (suckers)".

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1501 on: July 01, 2016, 04:39:48 pm »
Consequence of the Brexit.

"Easyjet is preparing to move from Luton after Brexit"
http://www.elconfidencial.com/mundo/2016-07-01/easyjet-dejara-aeropuerto-luton-aena_1226809/

"
The government will try to bring to Spain the banks of London City

Create a working group to promote the candidacy of Spain to host the European institutions that are currently in London"

http://www.larazon.es/economia/el-gobierno-intentara-traer-a-espana-los-bancos-de-la-city-londinense-CH13057621#.Ttt17t3RYVnxIRw

"The Government bid to bring Vodafone Spain

He has started negotiations with the headquarters in London. It is one of the countries with more options to host the headquarters: Its main rival is Germany"

http://www.elconfidencialdigital.com/dinero/Gobierno-puja-traerse-Vodafone-Espana_0_2738126178.html

British an advise, with the thing of eating doesn't play.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1502 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:03 pm »
I believe EDF have said they are going to continue with Hinkley Point power station, mind you there are some serious engineering issues to overcome. Siemens have said they are not going to export wind tubines from Hull, which doesn't look good. Not sure what is going to happen with the Swansea tidal barrarge it's been delayed by a year because Tidal Lagoon Power are unsure about the level of government funding, probably bugger all if we leave the EU. Not sure what Airbus are thinking, they might just move wing manufacturing somewhere else, financial institutions talking about move staff.. this list goes on.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:30:50 pm by chris_leyson »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »
I'm going to stop contributing to this thread (if I can help myself).  EEVBlog is a sanctuary from the referendum.
Thanks man, you're right we're better doing the stuff we do best and that is electronics or applications of electronics, teaching newcomers the subject and even history of electronics. Oscilloscope flame wars are a waste of time and bandwidth but shit happens, it's a forum, hmmm.. maybe bandwidth wasn't the right word  :-DD I think we should stick to electronics and it's applications and teach newcomers to the subject. The late Tim Williams and Bob Pease would probably agree  :)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:25 pm »
The late Tim Williams and Bob Pease would probably agree  :)
This is sacrilege! You can't even blame it on a typo. Thankfully I am an atheist and can forgive, but others would want your head for that blasphemy!  ;)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: July 02, 2016, 07:41:31 pm »
Earlier in the thread, I talked about the return of right-leaning political parties in Europe.

as if to accentuate that, here is a piece from the Austrian election: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/austria-court-rule-rerun-presidential-elections-40271393

The decision was made on the basis of irregularities, this election and in prior elections as well.

Looks like the USA is the only country where voter fraud is NOT an issue.

:)
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #1506 on: July 02, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »
There is also debate about a possible EU exit referendum in Austria.  :popcorn:

Offline digik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1507 on: July 03, 2016, 09:12:03 am »
To be banned from eu is a privilege, not a bad thing! I wish my country will do the same, but courage is not an italian quality  :(

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: July 03, 2016, 09:56:20 am »
They not got banned from the EU. They've decided to leave  :palm:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:57:52 am by Augustus »
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #1509 on: July 03, 2016, 10:00:19 am »
6 days to go (thread deadline) and i got nuthin to type about , but! now i'm here out here was a big vote and it seems there might be a hung parliment whatever that is (i assume it's not literally) and all the news has been about that on the TV , hardly heard a peep on Brexit .
Soon

Offline digik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: July 03, 2016, 10:54:49 am »
They not got banned from the EU. They've decided to leave
I know, but EU didn't make nothing to stop that, and now they put hurry to UK to leave EU as soon as possible.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1511 on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:52 am »
Applications for Swedish citizenship by British who live here went up by more than 600% after the referendum.

"Sweden’s Migration Agency said 129 Brits filed for citizenship, compared to a weekly average of around 20"

Hardly a stampede...
Probably more for the convenience of having a Euro passport.

The rest of us are morbidly watching Sweden's social experiment in forced diversity with abject horror.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:47:23 am by bitslice »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: July 03, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »
This is sacrilege! You can't even blame it on a typo. Thankfully I am an atheist and can forgive, but others would want your head for that blasphemy!  ;) Sorry Macbeth, what I meant was they would probably agree about teaching newcomers to electronics all about the subject and that is what this forum is really good at. I like Daves "take it apart" approach to see what makes things tick. From an analogue point of view I love TheSignalPath as well, Shahriar makes some excellent videos. Hey, maybe it was the oscilloscope flamewars thing that you didn't like about my post, well, it does go on a bit sometimes but yes I agree it's good to teach newcomers the differences and perhaps more importantly the pitfalls of each measurement approach. But as NivagSwerdna said "EEVblog is a sanctuary from the referrendum" :-+ I didn't mean to be disrespectful to late and great Tim Williams and Bob Pease.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: July 03, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »
In addition if there's no agreement then it's WTO rules.
I wonder if the EU Canada agreement includes free movement of people.  :D
Lol. I can't see that happening. The EU just wants to link free trade with free movement for the UK and any other European state who is thinking about leaving.

A common misunderstanding in the UK.   Like "Cameron should have negotiated harder on immigration".   The point is, like it or not (and you obviously don't),  free movement is a fundamental part of the nature of the EU.   It is not just a business arrangement, it is an attempt to bring the people of Europe together, and to equalise opportunities.   So refusing to sacrifice freedom of movement is not a choice, it is an existential necessity for the EU.
That's the point !!
When I voted to join what was then the EEC I never voted for Political union.

The following users thanked this post: Alex Nikitin

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1514 on: July 03, 2016, 12:29:21 pm »
1) You didn't vote to join in 1973, you voted on continued membership in 1975.
2) And yes, you voted for political union, you just didn't know it.
3) Neither were the voters in my country told about that when they went to the polling stations in October 1972.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:34:49 pm by Tepe »

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: July 03, 2016, 01:17:49 pm »
Applications for Swedish citizenship by British who live here went up by more than 600% after the referendum.

"Sweden’s Migration Agency said 129 Brits filed for citizenship, compared to a weekly average of around 20"

Hardly a stampede...

The rest of us are morbidly watching Sweden's social experiment in forced diversity with abject horror.

They went out the fire for falling to embers. How many  time will they last on Malmö?

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #1516 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:56 pm »

Hardly a stampede...
The point is that the UK government should respect the referendum and invoke article 50 quickly. Not doing so is very disrespectful to both the people of the UK who voted to leave, as well as the other EU-member states. We are all living in limbo now, wondering what will happen.

Researchers in UK now don't know if their scientific and medical research projects/collaborations will receive continued funding. I read half of all farmers in the UK are dependent on EU subsidising. The number of Brits filing for citizenship is a significant change for a tiny country like Sweden. It proves that British people living in Europe are now living in uncertainty: are they going to be able to keep their jobs or will they have to move back to the UK? The same is true for Europeans living in Britain.

So the UK government should hurry up and leave if that is what they intend to do, not keep everyone in the dark, it's not good for anyone. The sooner that uncertainty can be dispelled the better.

If the UK wants to pick up the ball and leave they should do so, not just stand around and glare.

Not sure what you mean by that but perhaps you are referring to Sweden helping many refugees from the middle east who are fleeing to Europe because of the illegal war the UK and the US started there? Thanks a lot. The problem is that some other EU-countries are not taking their share of refugees (like the UK). Only a handful countries that are helping sadly.

The following users thanked this post: Augustus

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #1517 on: July 03, 2016, 02:07:50 pm »
1) You didn't vote to join in 1973, you voted on continued membership in 1975.
2) And yes, you voted for political union, you just didn't know it.
3) Neither were the voters in my country told about that when they went to the polling stations in October 1972.
The UK wanted to join the EEC already in 1961 but were not allowed to because the French (Charles de Gaulle) felt they were too un-european and would only cause trouble. The UK weren't allowed to join until 1973. Now they want to leave, and who knows, in 10-20 years maybe they will join again. The next time there won't be any rebate or special treatment though.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1518 on: July 03, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »
Still I wonder whether anyone can argue leaving the EU is somehow good for the economy of the UK? I don't see it. Companies have already started packing their stuff en masse which means loss of jobs. Ofcourse you can go on ranting about souvereinity, voting for your own politicians, etc but that doesn't put food on the table.

I asked before to name one thing the UK is good at. So far the only significant item on the list seems that London is Europe's financial centre. Isn't that alone something worth keeping? Several cities are already angling to become Europe's new financial centre.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: July 03, 2016, 02:24:02 pm »
Quote from: bitslice on Yesterday at 09:43:52 PM
Not sure what you mean by that but perhaps you are referring to Sweden helping many refugees from the middle east who are fleeing to Europe because of the illegal war the UK and the US started there? Thanks a lot. The problem is that some other EU-countries are not taking their share of refugees (like the UK). Only a handful countries that are helping sadly.

I believe that he refers to that: The  hell multicultural of Malmö(I)

http://www.alertadigital.com/2012/09/02/el-infierno-multicultural-de-malmo-i/

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: July 03, 2016, 02:32:28 pm »
Ofcourse you can go on ranting about souvereinity, voting for your own politicians, etc but that doesn't put food on the table.

It's a values and cultural different so may be difficult to understand. Some nations value independence over short term economic gain.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1521 on: July 03, 2016, 02:37:52 pm »
So the UK government should hurry up and leave if that is what they intend to do, not keep everyone in the dark, it's not good for anyone. The sooner that uncertainty can be dispelled the better.
It's not a trivial task to work on, meanwhile we are hindered by an abdicating Prime minister and a weak student Marxist pretending to lead an opposition party.

Not helped by Junckers throwing all his toys out of his pram and making veiled threats and pulling faces. Anyone would think this was his personal empire...

We were already doing more than the rest of Europe by funding refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan, which is the only sensible way of dealing with a temporary displacement of people during war. It is really cost efficient and safe, and when the war finishes they can all go home without disrupting anyone else and we'll help fund their rebuilding. Everyone wins.

The insane solution  :scared: is to suggest they swim across the Mediterranean and perhaps drown, then walk right across Europe, only to end up in some squalid ghetto in Sweden or Germany where they'll probably get raped by some other follower of the religion of peace, and create massive social friction for the resident population for decades to come.  :palm:

The predictable consequence of Sweden's and Germany's naive actions in this situation has directly led to Brexit.
So thanks for that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:41:34 pm by bitslice »

The following users thanked this post: G7PSK, daqq, Macbeth, nugglix

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: July 03, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
I didn't mean to be disrespectful to late and great Tim Williams and Bob Pease.
Argh! You did it again! Repent you blasphemous heathen!  Gentleman Jim was no tiny Tim :-DD  ;)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: July 03, 2016, 06:55:16 pm »
The "free trade" deal between Canada, the U.S and Mexico doesn't even have a provision for the free movement of people so I doubt ours with the EU will. Mind you with the dipshit Priminister we have now anything is possible.
Theresa May is likely to be the next conservative PM and she is a Remain. Cameron is stepping down because it would be untenable for a Remain to oversee the brexit. Perhaps the tory MPs will come to their senses and vote Andrea Leadsom for the job.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:30 pm »
Still I wonder whether anyone can argue leaving the EU is somehow good for the economy of the UK? I don't see it. Companies have already started packing their stuff en masse which means loss of jobs. Ofcourse you can go on ranting about souvereinity, voting for your own politicians, etc but that doesn't put food on the table.

I asked before to name one thing the UK is good at. So far the only significant item on the list seems that London is Europe's financial centre. Isn't that alone something worth keeping? Several cities are already angling to become Europe's new financial centre.

I already gave you a few things in a previous posting.
Selective blindness ?

Lets see who wins out on being THE financial centre of europe.

|O

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf