Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1120931 times)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #2375 on: September 30, 2019, 01:39:15 am »
You can remove the front glass - it is held in place with double sided tape around the edges on the LCD's I have seen.
I have used fishing line or dental floss between the glass and tape to remove it. You can then clean it and put the glass back in place.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: B0B45

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
Hey Steve,
thanks for the tipp, the screen is now nice and clean.

But I noticed after the assembly my channel 4 is now high senitive to shocks on the surface of the scope. I added a screenshot of a singleshot.
Does somebody have an idee what causes this?
edit: It's fine on 50 Ohms or terminal resistor.

Best regards
B0B

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
I'd think a cold solder joint or cracked component.
VE7FM

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
A relay contact bouncing?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
Hey,

guess i found the error. It's the BNC connector.
I used a 1:1 probe on channel 1 on the solder spot on BNC and got the same result.
As soon as i touch the white isolator of the BNC the effect is gone.

Edit: I fixed it. It was the (too tight) screw next to the solder spot.   

-B0B
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:57:40 pm by B0B45 »

Offline swineone

• Contributor
Hello everyone!

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I just got a used DSOX2004A and I'm interested in enabling some of the options, in particular the wave generator.

After reading back a few pages starting from the end, I found this extremely helpful post:

Thank You!
Worked perfectly :-+

For others wanting to do this, the Scopes for Dummies version as follows:

Download Phillyflier's patched firmware from post #2167 on page 87
Download Luminax's license patch from post #1529 on page 62
Extract license patch, open cmd window (if using MS Windows), navigate to license patch folder and rename infiniivision.lnk to .txt
Edit infiniivision.txt and replace text in the file with Odessa's modification from post#2197 on page 88
80#infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l DIS -l MSO --perf -l BW20 -l SCPIPS -l CABLE -l VID
Save and rename file back to .lnk
Copy firmware file (rename from .ksx to .cab if current scope fireware is older than v2.41) to FAT32 formatted USB drive
Copy licence files (2x .cab files and .lnk file) to same USB drive

Now go to your scope, turn on and plug in USB drive to front USB port
Press [Utility] > File Explorer, select the firmware file (3000XSeries.02.50.2019022736_patched.cab); then, press Load File, wait for scope to load and reboot.
Check firmware has updated to v2.5, if successful continue
Press [Utility] > File Explorer, select v241_link_install.cab file; then, press Load File, wait for scope to load and reboot.
Check licenses have all been added and if so... :clap: :phew:

Thank you to all those that made this possible  8)

I did a dry run (download files, edit .lnk file, etc.) but I'm a little bit afraid of actually going ahead with this and bricking my shiny new toy (used, actually, but whatever...) Hence I came to check with you guys, since a few of you have done this so often I imagine it's second nature by now.

First of all, has anyone ever heard of this process bricking any scopes? I know there's no such thing as 0% probability in this case, but if it hasn't happened yet, I'll feel better about trying it.

My scope, like I said, is a DSOX2004A, and is currently at FW version 02.41.2015102200. I understand I can still use the patched images even though they refer to 3000X since, according to another poster here:

Hi,
The 2000 and 3000 are the same firmware. I used the 2.5 firmware posted by phillyflyers to upgrade to 2.5.

Then I created the lnk file using the code I posted and replaced the one in the hack posted by Luminax.

After the scope rebooted I ran the install.cab in Luminax's hack and that's it.

I also unlocked my 2004A using the above and it works perfectly, no nag messages, fully unlocked.

Edit: To answer your question about which firmware I started with, I used official 2.41 but I've flashed modded 2.43 and modded 2.5 whilst trying different things. The scope accepted them all without a problem.

Is that correct? Can I use the instructions above by scribble in my DSOX2004A with 02.41 FW?

Finally, although it appears to be implied, I just wanted to make extra sure no hardware hacks are required, no LAN/VGA modules, etc. Can I do the process above on a bare scope that's never been tinkered with?

If anyone helps me I'd be immensely grateful -- and should you ever stop by Brazil I promise to cook you a marvelous dinner and make some strong caipirinhas!

EDIT: one last question: from the instructions, I shouldn't have to rename the .ksx file to .cab since I'm on FW 02.41 -- if anyone could confirm this is the case I'd also be grateful.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:18:42 pm by swineone »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
You should be fine. As far as I'm aware anyone who ran into trouble neglected to follow instructions carefully. The upgrade works on 2000X models too.

The following users thanked this post: swineone

Offline swineone

• Contributor
You should be fine. As far as I'm aware anyone who ran into trouble neglected to follow instructions carefully. The upgrade works on 2000X models too.

It worked! I can't thank you enough! I owe you this!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
It worked! I can't thank you enough! I owe you this!
I'm just a parrot. Thank the people who made this all possible. Enjoy your scope!  :)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Just for the record, I include a list of the Options as seen in the FW of the 3000/4000.

BTW, I have looked at FERCSA hack for the 1002X series and I would be very surprised if his hack couldn't be applied to the 3000 and 4000 series.

Seems a simple and clean solution.

Edit: an updated list is here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:15:51 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, MarkL, 2N3055, ImABeginner

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Jitter mode is available only in 6000.. Enabling jitter on 3000T would be epic ..

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
I tried FERCSA's hack on my 1000X and it enables a lot of options, but most of them do not work.  The options are in the firmware probably because they share codebase with other models, but the hardware is not the same.  But definitely was a 1000X on steroids after the hack

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
I tried FERCSA's hack on my 1000X and it enables a lot of options, but most of them do not work.  The options are in the firmware probably because they share codebase with other models, but the hardware is not the same.  But definitely was a 1000X on steroids after the hack

The hack enables all the options present in the FW (it's easier to do like that). The same would happen in the 3000/4000, as you say, because they all share the codebase. Of course, if the HW doesn't support them, no need to try those options.

Online analogRF

• Frequent Contributor

sorry, I am late to this party and I am still reading the thread from the start, but I cannot figure out what FERCSA hack is. I did a search in the thread but FERCSA doesn't show up. Could you please explain which hack you are referring to?
thanks

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

sorry, I am late to this party and I am still reading the thread from the start, but I cannot figure out what FERCSA hack is. I did a search in the thread but FERCSA doesn't show up. Could you please explain which hack you are referring to?
thanks
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-978-keysight-1000x-hacking/msg2062735/#msg2062735

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
It should be easy to transpose the hack to 3000/4000.

In the meantime, i'll try a different approach.

If anybody could provide me of an example of an official license, that would be awesome.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
It should be easy to transpose the hack to 3000/4000.

In the meantime, i'll try a different approach.

If anybody could provide me of an example of an official license, that would be awesome.
PM sent

The following users thanked this post: tv84

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: November 16, 2019, 01:09:32 am »
Perhaps a silly question but I've hacked my DSO-X 2002A and it's now running v2.50, but the serial LED doesn't illuminate when you enter the serial decode menu like they do for the digital, math and ref menus. Is that an issue with the hacked firmware or does this LED mean something else?

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: November 16, 2019, 01:39:50 am »
If I remember correctly, the LED will light when the two knobs are in alternate mode for DIGITAL, MATH and REF where they are scale factor (top knob) and position (lower knob).

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2394 on: November 16, 2019, 02:28:27 am »
Just had another play with it.

The LEDs for digital, math and ref seem to light when that waveform is displayed, not when in the menu as I first thought. The knobs don't seem to affect them including the fine mode. (Unless you meant something else by alternate mode? Fine is the only mode I know about) The knobs in digital mode allow you to re-order or combine each individual signal, but the UI for it is horrible as you have to switch between the knobs to select the signal and press "enter".

No-matter what I tried, I couldn't get the serial LED to light.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: November 16, 2019, 04:24:54 pm »
What I meant was that when a light is on, the upper knob adjust scale and the lower knob adjusts position, both for the selected function.

On my 4000A, which has the same keys in that area, I cannot find any way to turn on the serial LED.  I don't believe it is used.

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: November 16, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
Oh I see, so the LED signifies the function of the knobs rather than the on/off status of the function - That makes a lot of sense and certainly matches the behaviour of my scope. I guess they just didn't find reasonable functionality that the knobs could perform for the serial decoder.

Thank you for your help, you've cleared up that mystery.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #2397 on: November 16, 2019, 06:34:06 pm »
In a discussion with Agilent support several years ago:
Me: The green arrow LED next to the Serial button does not come on when a serial decode is being displayed.

Support person:  It's not supposed to.  The arrow indicates what those extra controls are operating on: digital channels, math, or reference.  They never apply to the serial stuff, so the light never comes on.

FYI.

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: November 16, 2019, 10:17:46 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation, I wonder why they added the LED in the first place? Maybe they had a plan for those controls in the serial decoder and dropped them towards the end of the development?

Ah well, as long as the scope isn't broken that's the main thing.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2399 on: November 20, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »
Thanks,
I learn something new about my 2014 every time I read this thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf