Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 630416 times)

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1325 on: November 18, 2020, 07:59:55 pm »
Did someone had already a look into the SSA3032X-R?
Would be interesting if the -R is only some additional parts / modules or only other Software??

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1326 on: November 18, 2020, 09:43:58 pm »
Would be interesting if the -R is only some additional parts / modules or only other Software??

This is likely, if you watch Dave's teardown you can see the PCB areas that might be populated for the -R version. I would think that a higher speed (maybe resolution) ADC than the 12 Bit 40MSPS ADC would need be employed, and the additional components would be for a high performance anti-aliasing LPF.

Maybe someone with the -R version could do a teardown  ::)

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1327 on: November 18, 2020, 10:10:45 pm »
Dave didn't reviewed the plus Version or?
Only the older so there will be differences..

Offline Kibabalu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1328 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:15 pm »
Does somebody know if its save tu upgrade the firmware of a "promode" SSA3021X Plus -> SVA1032X with the newest firmware?
SVA1032X Firmware - V3.2.2.3.2 (Release Date 09.18.20 ) ?

Would be nice because :
Functionality:
•Adduser definedVNAcalibration kits
•Add VNA 0 span calibration

Would be nice to use a not official calkit..?

I did it, no issues at all. It's save.

The following users thanked this post: Relaxe

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1329 on: December 05, 2020, 04:59:11 pm »
more pics

Thanks for posting those images (so long ago now ::)) since they should help those looking to replace a "missing link" to complete their SSA to SVA upgrade (possibly including myself - I haven't checked).

I'd ordered an SSA3021XPlus from Telonic Instruments the week before last, knowing they were on back order and received an email advising me that they'd shipped it via APC last Wednesday. Unlike my previous order where APC had emailed an ETA, I saw no such email this time round but it did nevertheless arrive the next afternoon. However, in the intervening two days, I've spent more time reading this topic thread from the point where it morphed from " Siglent SSA3000X Spectrum Analyzers" into  a "Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus  Spectrum Analyzers" thread than I've spent doing any tests with it.

I'd simply like to hack it to a 3032XPlus for the time being but despite reading through the thread from page 34 onward, I wasn't able to find a complete description of how to do this. I rather suspect the enthusiasm to go straight for a hack to convert it into an SVA1032X had derailed any further interest in the 3021XPlus to 3032XPlus hack. It worries me that the hack to the SVA1032 has mostly involved loss of the serial number and reversion to 'developer mode' along with a few occurrences of 'brickage' and the subsequent and rather fraught recovery exercises.

I have seen screen photos by other members who have seemingly succeeded in hacking to an SVA1032X and avoided 'developer mode' but it's not clear to me how this was achieved, hence my reluctance to jump straight into such a hacking exercise before trying the seemingly less risky BW upgrade. This seems a rather more risky enterprise than my previous SDS2104XPlus and SDG2042X hacking adventures which did succeed after some very thorough research. I feel I have to do yet more thorough research to avoid the stress of having to 'unbrick'  a brand new barely used SA. :-//

Harking back to those images, did you compare the three short coax jumpers? I know it seems a bit late to ask but for those who've cross-flashed to the SVA1032 and discovered they'd been short changed, it would be very useful to know that they just need one of exactly the same length as either of the two remaining short jumpers which I suspect to be the case.

No need to provide a millimetric measure, just a confirmation that all three are identical - you can leave the measuring to those looking to order or make up replacements.  :)

John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:25:36 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1330 on: December 05, 2020, 06:30:24 pm »
Look for tv84's cross flash packages, that will convert you to a SVA pretty easily then you can flash stock SVA firmware from then on.  If you botch something you just need to connect to the uart port inside the back case.. I posted pin outs for those sometime ago.  As far as license keys vs pro mode, you have to look around under some rocks.. its not public.

If you leave it in pro mode you can see the realtime bits but it wont do anything as its missing the hardware to command.

The jumpers are all different sizes and end connectors,  I posted someways back a link to a site that offers one off the shelf you could use or you can roll your own if you got at least rg316 cable and quality right angle sma connectors.. technically you should torque it as well but dont think many do this step

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1331 on: December 08, 2020, 09:57:17 pm »
With the help of betatester @Bicurico here is the WORKING script that enables telnet on the SSA3000X.   #STOP_THE_BRICKS

The port is 10101 as always.

A special thanks to Bicurico who has tested it successfully.  :clap:

Link to the .ADS file.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:05:16 am by tv84 »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1332 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:27 pm »
Instructions:

1) Run tv84's modified ADS. This will give you temporary telnet on port 10101. Note that the FW upgrade will freeze at 60%. At this point you can telnet. After reboot, the SSA3000X will behave normal again (without telnet on port 10101).

2) Run the attached script to create the links for the telnet daemon

OR

2) Type the commands manually:

Code: [Select]
ln -s -f -r /etc/init.d/telnetd /etc/rc0.d/K10telnetd
ln -s -f -r /etc/init.d/telnetd /etc/rc1.d/K10telnetd
ln -s -f -r /etc/init.d/telnetd /etc/rc5.d/S10telnetd
ln -s -f -r /etc/init.d/telnetd /etc/rc6.d/K10telnetd

These links get deleted by the FW upgrade.

Important: The telnet.sh uses Unix style line break - do not edit this on Windows with Notepad or the script will not run (CRLF instead of just LF).

Thanks to tv84!

Regards,
Vitor

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1333 on: December 08, 2020, 10:08:58 pm »
With the help of betatester @Bicurico here is the WORKING script that enables telnet on the SSA3000X.   #STOP_THE_BRICKS

Oh good. DL4RAJ has a problem with his however as I don't have a recovery package for these older analysers you 2 may have saved his bacon.  :phew: 
I'll pop him a message about this. :clap:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:05:21 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1334 on: December 09, 2020, 02:38:55 am »

Would I be correct in assuming that this replaces the earlier version (telnet_SSA3000X.zip dated  2020-06-07) from the list of telnet session *.ADS files associated with the "How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown" which I'd downloaded back in August?

I only ask, because up to now, all the subsequent links to these ADS files have been identical to those in that list and this is the first one that's been slightly different in size and of a later modified date/time stamp. IOW, can I simply replace the original telnet_SSA3000X.zip in that list with this later version? I doubt I'd ever need to use it since I have the SSA3000XPlus but I'd like to keep that list up to date for future reference just in case an SSA3021X owner happens to ask me for a copy of the required telnet session ADS file.

Also, whilst I have your attention so to speak, is there some "secret sauce" to cross flashing an SSA3021XPlus to an SVA3032X without losing the serial number and landing up in 'developer mode' and all the unwanted baggage of the -R only options that this entails?

I ask because I've seen a few members' screenshots clearly showing a partially blanked out serial number and an option list exclusive of the -R only options and it's not entirely clear whether your latest instructions on cross-flashing would lead to such a happy result or else just leave it in developer mode with a bunch of -R only options leaving me with another mysterious exercise in exorcising the ghost of "developer mode".

I've already made good use of the SDS2000XPlus and SDG2042X telnet ADS files (hence my having a "Full Set" of telnet ADS files) and have run the full backup ADS script on my untouched SSA3021XPlus (which begs the question, "Is there a complementary restore ADS script or would I be obliged to access the internal serial port?").

I've read through this topic thread some 5 or 6 times now (from page 34 when it had been renamed to include the 3000XPlus) and can't help the feeling that I'm missing some vital, possibly privately communicated, information on avoiding or fixing this developer mode issue.

I'd like to avoid any questions over 'tampered warranty stickers' if I ever find myself having to make a warranty return if this is at all possible since, unlike the case of the Feeltech FY6600-60M I'd purchased over a year ago, Siglent's three year warranty is actually worth holding onto. It's one thing to cheerfully open up a 76 quid "Toy AWG" less than a month from new to start modifying the hell out of it... several times over! Hell! I can't remember whether it even had a 'warranty sticker to begin with! The case fixing screws haven't seen the plastic for over 11 months now ::) ).

Apologies for unloading so many questions onto you but, compared to the DSO and AWG 'upgrade' hacks, this one has left me more than a little confused and frustrated to say the least. :(

John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:09:07 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1335 on: December 09, 2020, 08:00:16 am »
Would I be correct in assuming that this replaces the earlier version (telnet_SSA3000X.zip dated  2020-06-07) from the list of telnet session *.ADS files associated with the "How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown" which I'd downloaded back in August?

Yes, this replaces any previous such script for the SSA3000X model.

Regarding other questions, there are "secret sauces" for all tastes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:01:58 am by tv84 »

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1336 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »
@tv84

Thank you for clarifying the situation with the replacement  telnet ADS version. I can delete the earlier one from my list to avoid any confusion in the future.

As for the 'secret sauce', I guess I'd best hang on for the time being in the hope of a version eventually entering the public domain. I can well understand the reluctance to make such hacks in this case publicly available. It's one thing for Siglent to "turn a blind eye" to impoverished hobbyists hacking an SDG2042X into an SDG2122X where only the sine wave limit is increased and that for the SDS2000XPlus where the 500MHz BW option involves an effective reduction from  four channels down to just two but something else altogether when it's a cross flash from an SSA3000XPlus to an SVA1032X.

The first two cases (DSO and AWG) represent a PR gain and a chance to upsell those 'expensive' options to SMEs who would see such costs as 'chump change'. The SSA to SVA conversion, much less so. Discretion being the better part of valour, it would seem only sensible to avoid biting the hand that feeds you in this case.

John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:23:56 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #1337 on: December 09, 2020, 07:38:38 pm »
3021x plus, starting with native v2.2.1.2.5, going directly to v3.2.2.3.2 as upgrade.

Steps as in post #1223, minor problem:
Do not use step 3 (causes running out of space, freezing to initialisation screen with no telnet):

"3. Rename ecomb_p to ecomb
mv /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb_p /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb"

After going trough UART console, deleting ecomb and running ecomb from external usb thumb drive, normal update with v3.2.2.3.2 worked, all other steps spot on post #1223 and #1224

# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                61.7M     61.7M         0 100% /
devtmpfs                 68.2M         0     68.2M   0% /dev
none                     76.3M      4.0K     76.3M   0% /tmp
ubi1_0                   29.7M     25.1M      4.6M  85% /usr/bin/siglent
ubi2_0                    5.7M    796.0K      4.9M  14% /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
ubi3_0                    5.7M     24.0K      5.7M   0% /usr/bin/siglent/log
ubi0_0                   82.8M    308.0K     82.5M   0% /usr/bin/siglent/usr

Now going further to either bankrupt or to TEA thread...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:41:47 pm by NCG »

Offline s57mhj

• Contributor
« Reply #1338 on: December 10, 2020, 11:42:29 am »
Dear all
I am about to order SSA300X with the clear goal in mind  >:D… and I am asking myself if the SSA3015X plus is suitable (same HW platform?) for cross flashing, or SSA3021X (Plus) minimum platform/model is required to become an SVA3032X?
Reading Choosing "hobbyist grade" spectrum analyzer - Page 1 (eevblog.com) I am not being any smarter.
Best regards, and vy 73, Joe

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1339 on: December 10, 2020, 12:50:26 pm »
Dear all
I am about to order SSA300X with the clear goal in mind  >:D… and I am asking myself if the SSA3015X plus is suitable (same HW platform?) for cross flashing, or SSA3021X (Plus) minimum platform/model is required to become an SVA3032X?
Reading Choosing "hobbyist grade" spectrum analyzer - Page 1 (eevblog.com) I am not being any smarter.
Best regards, and vy 73, Joe

Simply. No.
Try to keep also these model numbers right.

There is

Spectrum analyzers

SSA3021X, SSA3032X  Older serie.

SSA3015XPlus, SSA3021XPlus, SSA3032XPus, SSA3075XPlus

VNA models

SVA1015X, SVA1032X and SVA1075X

Rumors tell that if user do some "semirandom but careful user mistakes" -  it can sometimes happen, the machine’s perception of itself changes ... it can evolve.

SSA3021X --> SSA3032X

SSA3015XPlus --> SVA1015X

SSA3021XPlus --> SSA3032XPus --> SVA1032X

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:56:52 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1340 on: December 10, 2020, 12:55:40 pm »
Rumors tell that if user do some "semirandom but careful mistakes" it can some times happen the machine's perception of itself changes... :-/O

:-DD I'll have to open a thread with this title: Semirandom but careful mistakes

Offline s57mhj

• Contributor
« Reply #1341 on: December 10, 2020, 01:24:31 pm »
Thank you both!
With some semi-random but careful chosen user mistakes in mind (I read all 54 pages) and with a clear goal that the machine’s perception of itself will evolve (in the near future), SSA3021XPlus ordered  :-+
BR Joe

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1342 on: December 10, 2020, 06:56:12 pm »
BTW ...

Has anyone tried using a Wi-Fi dongle on USB - does this device support (existing driver in FW) any 5G dongles - or would we need to load our 'own' Linux driver to do this??

Also - anyone tried a mini USB hub - for simultaneous connection of  Wi-Fi, Flash memory and wireless keyboard devices?

Sometimes the USB port / driver will not support multiple channels - just wondering if the SVA is one of these  :(

This question over wi-fi support in an SA or VNA bugs me every time I see it (I must be on my seventh read-through from page 34 by now ::) ).

I'm just surprised that no one ever bothered to chime in and state the bleedin' obvious that the last thing anyone would want anywhere near these items of test gear is a strong RFI source such as Wi-Fi and any manufacturer who thinks providing support for such a "feature" needs their head examined before being shipped off to the nearest Loony Bin imho.

Sorry to bring this up so late in the day some six months on but it finally 'got to me' and I just had to say something. :phew:

JBG
John

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, tautech

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1343 on: December 10, 2020, 07:04:40 pm »
Rumors tell that if user do some "semirandom but careful mistakes" it can some times happen the machine's perception of itself changes... :-/O

:-DD I'll have to open a thread with this title: Semirandom but careful mistakes

That's a nice euphemism for the phrase "Hacking the hell out of (insert name here of choice of T&M kit)"  :-DD

John
John

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1344 on: December 10, 2020, 07:11:14 pm »
What are the login credentials for the serial port, or VNC?

This?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1345 on: December 11, 2020, 07:39:11 pm »
New firmware for SSA3000X Plus models

Version V3.2.2.3.3R1
~16 MB
Be sure to select the correct download for your instrument.
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=48

Release notes
New Functionality:
• Add EMI filter in SA for EMI option
Solved Issues:
• Optimize the TG flatness and control procedure
• Optimize Help
• Fix Correction, .csv file, add peak numbers to 20 in EMI mode
• Fix amplitude error in DMA Mode
• Fix upgrade failure issue
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #1346 on: December 12, 2020, 04:32:10 am »

This is likely, if you watch Dave's teardown you can see the PCB areas that might be populated for the -R version. I would think that a higher speed (maybe resolution) ADC than the 12 Bit 40MSPS ADC would need be employed, and the additional components would be for a high performance anti-aliasing LPF.
Maybe someone with the -R version could do a teardown  ::)

Best,

The 40MHz realtime bandwidth limit makes me speculate, that there might be no significant changes :).

Offline alannz

• Contributor
« Reply #1347 on: December 13, 2020, 04:37:00 am »
So I have found and interesting problem, when I use VI to make these changes;

3. in file /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh change the line
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb_p &
   to
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb &

The last line of the test file startup_app.sh is missing (which is where the change needs to go)

If I cat or tail the file I can see it there!

Strange I know...

IN VI:

f [ -d /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits ]; then
        mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
        cp -rpf /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits/ /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/
        echo "cp -pf /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits/ /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/"
        sync
        mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent
        rm /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits -r
        mount -o remount,ro /usr/bin/siglent
        sync
        mount -o remount,ro /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
fi

/usr/bin/siglent/config_eth0.sh
- /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh 71/71 100%

Using CAT:
if [ -d /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits ]; then
        mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
        cp -rpf /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits/ /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/
        echo "cp -pf /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits/ /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/"
        sync
        mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent
        rm /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/Limits -r
        mount -o remount,ro /usr/bin/siglent
        sync
        mount -o remount,ro /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
fi

/usr/bin/siglent/config_eth0.sh
/usr/bin/siglent/ecomb_p &/usr/bin/siglent #

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1348 on: December 13, 2020, 03:05:35 pm »
So I have found and interesting problem, when I use VI to make these changes;

Maybe it has ESC-chars embedded.

Copy the file to USB and upload it here so that we can have an hex view of it.

Attached is the FULL contents of the stock FW, excluding the ecomb_p app.

Offline Andy_eat

« Reply #1349 on: December 16, 2020, 05:36:11 pm »
Hi Gents,

Got a brand new SSA3032X-Plus with TG enabled (standard) and the option AMK enabled (had to pay for it - noticed too late that there might be a chance to get this enabled for free).
Anyway the analyzer works fine - I would like to ask you guys for some help even when the answer could have been discussed earlier:
(I have checked all pages here before and spent a full day but the full info is complex and changes often - depending on models and on F/W-releases)

My analyzer uses the latest F/W "V3.2.2.3.3R1". I tried around for long and could finally get access via Telnet (port 10101 with a file of tv84 - no password etc necessary?). I tried some mods but could not get the remaining options to "permanent"  :-BROKE

Any idea what I am missing or is this F/W not hacked so far?
Another topic: How can I eventually modify the analyzer to become a SVA1032X?

Sorry, I am not deep into those things - being only a RF engineer. BTW, I could hack my Siglent SDG2000X within minutes with the help of this excellent forum. Thanks for that!

BTW, somebody asked for the new Real-Time Analyzer SSA3032X-R. I have tested that one for 3 days - very nice instrument with one major downside: Once you enable the TG, RBW starts from 3 KHz! Nothing below that.......
That was a real killer - you can't measure any narrow filters. I had to return that nice instrument and ordered the SSA3032X-Plus instead.....hard decision....

Thanks folks,

Regards,

Andy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf