Recent Posts

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next
I placed a stopwatch in front of my scope's display.  Connected to a RF generator set to sweep from 5M - 100M.  Very small data set.  Norm trigger.  All processing turned off.  Camera set to 1000fps.   Recorded for 1sec.  Manually counted each screen update. I measured a pathetic 30fps.  It's an 18 year old PC and based on how poorly it handles the X-Y music, not surprised.

Not long ago (10 years?), 30fps was pretty standard for most application on a PC. Now these days it has increased to 60 - 120 fps for dynamic and responsive application. Nevertheless, 30fps is still present. For example you still find a lot of video games running at 30fps.
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by nctnico on Today at 01:17:27 pm »
A step (staircase) plot style is easier to see compared to a single dot and it doesn't pretend to plot a waveform shape that is completely wrong.
as sample rate is increased, say 10-50 points per cycle, stair step plot will be annoyingly disturbing imho, its not suitable to represent continuous analog signal, for statistics that maybe all right. the purpose of graph plot on dso is try to mimick as close as possible actual signal. highly undersampling such case above Sr / 2.2 Fungus demo'ed surely create distortion when plotted with so called first order (line) but thats not an excuse to use zero order. you can sim sampling at 10-20 points per cycle and try to plot it using stair step and look how bad it is.. i cant imagine how bad it is if lecroy is using such an idea for example in the attached plot
Almost all DSOs support linear interpolation to connect the dots but you have to be really careful to have enough sample points to make a visual representation which is close to the actual signal. However, In most situations this is not the case. A step-wise signal at least doesn't pretend to be more than it is. I never use linear interpolation mode as it is very easy to get tricked into mis-interpreting the signal.
Test Equipment / Re: Magnova oscilloscope
« Last post by core on Today at 01:13:47 pm »
We are still on schedule to begin delivering the series devices around the beginning of June. The devices are already available for pre-order on our website, and we will release further information in the upcoming weeks. The datasheet will be available in a few days, and the "damn good software" exist. :)
Is Dave going to get a demo unit for some tests and showcasing?
Would be very interesting to see Dave play around with it and hear his opinion on the new design choices.

Or "The Signal Path" for in-depth analysis, including software implementation.
But it's localized in the USA, so it's not really handy for Batronix.

Considering the prompt response from Andre77, maybe soon we'll find something interesting even on Batronix's Youtube channel.
I'm certainly interested, and it's clear that there are others here who are very interested.
General Technical Chat / Re: Dumpster diving save VFD
« Last post by TERRA Operative on Today at 01:12:09 pm »
Yeah, here in Japan Noritake are known for various types of high grade ceramics both industrial and kitchen, and of course their VFD's, including the Korg Nutube.
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 01:08:52 pm »
...except that other software does the same thing, and I've seen the exact same effect using hardware reconstruction filters (from a DAC feeding into an RC filter).

What it means is that Siglent is doing something weird.
I'd like to see an actual AM signal fed into the Siglent to see what happens.

I am afraid it's too late, you have already lost all credibility. Comparing Rigol's slightly flawed implementation with Mechatrommer's admittedly wrong first homebrew attempt -- and reaching the conclusion that Siglent's implementation must be "weird"?

:palm:
Test Equipment / Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Last post by Fungus on Today at 01:07:40 pm »
After a restart, it would apparently want to load that last used state (maybe waited for a trigger to happen to fill in that buffer?), and that took ages. But eventually it booted.
that means, last setting is stored somewhere not in sd card. but where? we need to find a way to zero those memory..

In the SRAM chip. I assme they don't want to wear the flash out by writing to it after every single twist of a knob.
I don’t know for sure, but consider what other similar products have:

https://www.nintendo.com/eu/media/downloads/support_1/nintendoswitch/NSwitch_DeclarationOfConformity.pdf

Obviously Nintendo is a very high profile company so I’m sure they haven’t cut any corners on certification.

Using pre-certified components may help eliminate some testing, but generally does not clear you of system level evaluation.
« Last post by Fungus on Today at 01:04:01 pm »
262.6 MHz:

That's just the "AM" signal with persistence.

It looks like a software flaw indeed.

...except that other software does the same thing, and I've seen the exact same effect using hardware reconstruction filters (from a DAC feeding into an RC filter).

What it means is that Siglent is doing something weird. I'd like to see an actual AM signal fed into the Siglent to see what happens.

nb. It doesn't have to be at the outer limits of bandwidth. You can drop the sample rate down by fiddling with the horizontal timebase and figure out a suitable frequency from that.

(I can get aliasing on the 1kHz probe compensation signal by making the sample rate drop low enough)
Test Equipment / Re: Fluke 187,189 continuity beep sound
« Last post by anddrej on Today at 01:03:44 pm »
Agree with all what you said.
Nah...I'm using 175 for continuity  :D...was just thinking that will be nice to get same "ear pleasant" tone on 187/189  ;D
My view is, they don't need to know except for delivery purposes. (Unless you have a credit account.)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next