Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 606566 times)

dziobu, lifei7408 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #2375 on: September 12, 2019, 03:47:24 pm »
Hey Guys,

I consider to send my scope to Keysight for calibration.
The scope is hw and sw modded from 100Mhz to 500Mhz and has FW 2.50.
My plan is to reinstall the origial FW 2.50 before i sent it in.
Question: Can I always change back from the origial fw 2.50? Will there be leftovers of the fw hack after the FW update on the scope?
Do you think its a good idea to do a full calibration after the scope has been modified in general?

Regards B0B
A 100MHz to 500MHz hack? Is that even possible?

Offline mlloyd1

• Contributor
« Reply #2376 on: September 12, 2019, 04:34:25 pm »
allegedly, the HW BW hack is possible if the hacker is skilled enough and uses the appropriate parts.

the question i have is if one performs the HW BW improvement hack, modifies the FW to include use HW BW improvement hack, then removes the modified FW hack by "downgrading" to the OEM FW before sending the unit in for servicing/calibration, won't the "downgraded" software be unhappy about the HW change and flag this for servicing when it goes in for calibration, causing a "warranty issue"?

mlloyd1

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #2377 on: September 12, 2019, 06:41:01 pm »
There is no downgraded software, it is the same firmware for both the modded and original HW.

The HW mod to bring 100MHz - 200MHz to 500MHz involves changing the front end and also the resistors that change the model to be at least 350MHz base, so it is impossible to send it back to Keysight, even with the original factory firmware unless you replace back all the components to be the original 100MHz - 200MHz model.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:17:25 pm by TK »

Offline rodpp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2378 on: September 12, 2019, 07:45:20 pm »
If you are paying for the calibration service, I see nothing wrong in sending a DSOX3014A hacked to 500MHz to calibrate as a DSOX3054A, of course paying for a DSOX3054A calibration service.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:47:14 pm by rodpp »

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: September 12, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »
Well, the problem is, if I send it in with just a altered Hardware they only can deny the service. But if the Firmware on this scope is manipulated I can get into real trouble because of copyright laws.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #2380 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:08 pm »
The automated calibration routines they likely use won't work properly I don't think. A 200 MHZ scope modified to 500 MHz reports it is still a dsox3024 - so the cal computer interface won't go above 200 MHz. There won't be an override button for hacked scopes.
VE7FM

Offline rodpp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: September 12, 2019, 09:39:52 pm »
I don't think so, because one can buy a bandwidth upgrade. So a hacked DSOX3014A probably behaves like a upgraded DSOX3014A.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #2382 on: September 12, 2019, 10:34:44 pm »
I don't think so, because one can buy a bandwidth upgrade. So a hacked DSOX3014A probably behaves like a upgraded DSOX3014A.

That is different as the 100/200 MHz are always calibrated as a 200 MHz unit. The 350/500 are always calibrated as a 500 MHz model. So if you did buy the BW upgrade they are ready to go. But there is no official 200-500 upgrade that doesn't require returning the scope to Keysight which would change the official model # as well.
VE7FM

Offline rodpp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: September 12, 2019, 11:54:21 pm »
Are you sure that the bandwidth upgrade changes the model #?

Be it a SW upgrade (100MHz to 200MHz) or a HW upgrade (100/200MHz to 350/500MHz), I suppose that the model number (and serial # too) does not change.

If they change model and/or serial #, it has potential to cause problems because: a) the model printed in front of the instrument will not match with the SW number anymore, including if you query it remotely; b) all papers related with that instrument will not match too, including proof of purchase, calibration data, etc; c) companies would must update their inventory, and changes in model and serial # could not be allowed.

EDIT: Anyone with a HW upgraded bandwidth or HW hacked could inform what model # the scope is showing?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:57:57 pm by rodpp »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #2384 on: September 13, 2019, 12:19:49 am »
I don't think the model number changes with the hardware mod.  When I modded my EDUX1002G to DSOX1102G, it still showed as EDUX1002G in the display.  The model number and serial number is written somewhere in the NAND memory.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #2385 on: September 13, 2019, 01:11:35 am »
The model number doesn't change when the BW is hacked via hardware or software. But if you send your scope back for an upgrade from 200 to 500 MHz the model number will change as they replace the entire mainboard.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: B0B45

Offline rodpp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2386 on: September 13, 2019, 01:58:07 pm »
Ok, but if I remember correctly, inside the first firmware update package there was a tool to change the model number...

Does anyone knows a scope that had the bandwidth upgraded by Keysight (replacing the board) to confirm that?

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2387 on: September 13, 2019, 02:44:46 pm »
I would think that Keysight would be more than happy taking your money for a cal.  If it fails cal and the hardware BW hack is there.  They will just laugh and ship the scope back to you and charge your credit card for the cal.

Or if the tech is bored.  They will try to sell you a new board for more $$$$.

Offline rodpp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2388 on: September 13, 2019, 07:54:41 pm »
The model number doesn't change when the BW is hacked via hardware or software. But if you send your scope back for an upgrade from 200 to 500 MHz the model number will change as they replace the entire mainboard.

I checked with Keysight, the model number remains the same.

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: September 29, 2019, 11:16:46 pm »
End of story: calibration successful, no adjustment required.

Edited because we have some experts here :D

I noticed some time ago that the screen (as shown in the appendix) is getting blury. My guess, there is moisture between the front glass and the screen itself. Does anyone have any idea how to clean it up? By disassembling the scope, I could not separate the screen and the glass.

With best regards
B0B
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:14:50 am by B0B45 »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #2390 on: September 30, 2019, 01:39:15 am »
You can remove the front glass - it is held in place with double sided tape around the edges on the LCD's I have seen.
I have used fishing line or dental floss between the glass and tape to remove it. You can then clean it and put the glass back in place.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: B0B45

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
Hey Steve,
thanks for the tipp, the screen is now nice and clean.

But I noticed after the assembly my channel 4 is now high senitive to shocks on the surface of the scope. I added a screenshot of a singleshot.
Does somebody have an idee what causes this?
edit: It's fine on 50 Ohms or terminal resistor.

Best regards
B0B

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
I'd think a cold solder joint or cracked component.
VE7FM

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
A relay contact bouncing?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline B0B45

• Contributor
Hey,

guess i found the error. It's the BNC connector.
I used a 1:1 probe on channel 1 on the solder spot on BNC and got the same result.
As soon as i touch the white isolator of the BNC the effect is gone.

Edit: I fixed it. It was the (too tight) screw next to the solder spot.   

-B0B
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:57:40 pm by B0B45 »

Offline swineone

Hello everyone!

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I just got a used DSOX2004A and I'm interested in enabling some of the options, in particular the wave generator.

After reading back a few pages starting from the end, I found this extremely helpful post:

Thank You!
Worked perfectly :-+

For others wanting to do this, the Scopes for Dummies version as follows:

Download Phillyflier's patched firmware from post #2167 on page 87
Download Luminax's license patch from post #1529 on page 62
Extract license patch, open cmd window (if using MS Windows), navigate to license patch folder and rename infiniivision.lnk to .txt
Edit infiniivision.txt and replace text in the file with Odessa's modification from post#2197 on page 88
80#infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l DIS -l MSO --perf -l BW20 -l SCPIPS -l CABLE -l VID
Save and rename file back to .lnk
Copy firmware file (rename from .ksx to .cab if current scope fireware is older than v2.41) to FAT32 formatted USB drive
Copy licence files (2x .cab files and .lnk file) to same USB drive

Now go to your scope, turn on and plug in USB drive to front USB port
Press [Utility] > File Explorer, select the firmware file (3000XSeries.02.50.2019022736_patched.cab); then, press Load File, wait for scope to load and reboot.
Check firmware has updated to v2.5, if successful continue
Press [Utility] > File Explorer, select v241_link_install.cab file; then, press Load File, wait for scope to load and reboot.
Check licenses have all been added and if so... :clap: :phew:

Thank you to all those that made this possible  8)

I did a dry run (download files, edit .lnk file, etc.) but I'm a little bit afraid of actually going ahead with this and bricking my shiny new toy (used, actually, but whatever...) Hence I came to check with you guys, since a few of you have done this so often I imagine it's second nature by now.

First of all, has anyone ever heard of this process bricking any scopes? I know there's no such thing as 0% probability in this case, but if it hasn't happened yet, I'll feel better about trying it.

My scope, like I said, is a DSOX2004A, and is currently at FW version 02.41.2015102200. I understand I can still use the patched images even though they refer to 3000X since, according to another poster here:

Hi,
The 2000 and 3000 are the same firmware. I used the 2.5 firmware posted by phillyflyers to upgrade to 2.5.

Then I created the lnk file using the code I posted and replaced the one in the hack posted by Luminax.

After the scope rebooted I ran the install.cab in Luminax's hack and that's it.

I also unlocked my 2004A using the above and it works perfectly, no nag messages, fully unlocked.

Edit: To answer your question about which firmware I started with, I used official 2.41 but I've flashed modded 2.43 and modded 2.5 whilst trying different things. The scope accepted them all without a problem.

Is that correct? Can I use the instructions above by scribble in my DSOX2004A with 02.41 FW?

Finally, although it appears to be implied, I just wanted to make extra sure no hardware hacks are required, no LAN/VGA modules, etc. Can I do the process above on a bare scope that's never been tinkered with?

If anyone helps me I'd be immensely grateful -- and should you ever stop by Brazil I promise to cook you a marvelous dinner and make some strong caipirinhas!

EDIT: one last question: from the instructions, I shouldn't have to rename the .ksx file to .cab since I'm on FW 02.41 -- if anyone could confirm this is the case I'd also be grateful.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:18:42 pm by swineone »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
You should be fine. As far as I'm aware anyone who ran into trouble neglected to follow instructions carefully. The upgrade works on 2000X models too.

The following users thanked this post: swineone

Offline swineone

You should be fine. As far as I'm aware anyone who ran into trouble neglected to follow instructions carefully. The upgrade works on 2000X models too.

It worked! I can't thank you enough! I owe you this!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
It worked! I can't thank you enough! I owe you this!
I'm just a parrot. Thank the people who made this all possible. Enjoy your scope!  :)

Online tv84

• Frequent Contributor
Just for the record, I include a list of the Options as seen in the FW of the 3000/4000.

BTW, I have looked at FERCSA hack for the 1002X series and I would be very surprised if his hack couldn't be applied to the 3000 and 4000 series.

Seems a simple and clean solution.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, MarkL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf