Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 959410 times)

Offline apulanta

Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #2875 on: May 05, 2024, 04:59:48 pm »

Quick Question,  Prior to update did you have any bundled options installed ?
Another Question : Did you get an Error when it failed and if so what was the error ?

Hi, I have it installed MSO5102, MSO5000 BND update part..

I didn't get an error message, the options update was just not correct and the options menu update information was completely empty..
I made a new "rigol_kg2_3_000.py" priv.pem file with a different EC PRIVATE KEY and with that I got the complete activation done.

- apulanta

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2876 on: May 05, 2024, 05:59:58 pm »

Quick Question,  Prior to update did you have any bundled options installed ?
Another Question : Did you get an Error when it failed and if so what was the error ?

I didn't get an error message, the options update was just not correct and the options menu update information was completely empty..
I made a new "rigol_kg2_3_000.py" priv.pem file with a different EC PRIVATE KEY and with that I got the complete activation done.

- apulanta

That's Awesome, thank you.
Quick Question, more curiosity than anything else, because you are the first MSO5102 that i came across.
do you now also have  4 CHANNELS ACTIVATED ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline apulanta

« Reply #2877 on: May 05, 2024, 07:04:16 pm »

Hey,

Yes, all 4 channels and all update parts are in use "FOREVER"

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2878 on: May 05, 2024, 08:14:55 pm »

Hey,

Yes, all 4 channels and all update parts are in use "FOREVER"

that's cool, thanks for letting me know.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: apulanta

Offline supertrabuco

• Contributor
« Reply #2879 on: May 06, 2024, 08:52:59 pm »

Hello, at the time I updated a 5104 to version 01_03_03_00 and then I applied the Hack MSO5000.update.GEL and I have all the options unlocked and it works very well

The following users thanked this post: BTO

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2880 on: May 06, 2024, 09:03:01 pm »

Hello, at the time I updated a 5104 to version 01_03_03_00 and then I applied the Hack MSO5000.update.GEL and I have all the options unlocked and it works very well
That's great, But just to be clear.
Did you apply the PYTHON SCRIPT or did you apply THE PATCH ?
and also did your MSO5104 have any bundled options installed ?

it sounds like you just patched it because
- It's not possible to license it correctly by JUST using the GEL file.
- To license it correctly You have to use the script and the priv.pem file

which did you do ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 07:39:03 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2881 on: May 08, 2024, 04:22:06 pm »
I'm thinking of getting an MSO5074 and upgrading the bandwidth to 350 MHz.

The scope will come with the application bundle (MSO5000-BND) as standard.  Is there a way to back it up so that I don't lose these options if the hack doesn't work out for some reason (assuming I don't brick the scope in the process)?

Or am I overthinking it? :-DD
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:29:17 pm by aix »

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2882 on: May 08, 2024, 06:49:05 pm »

The scope will come with the application bundle (MSO5000-BND) as standard.  Is there a way to back it up so that I don't lose these options if the hack doesn't work out for some reason (assuming I don't brick the scope in the process)?

OK, i have tested this extensively and i can assure you of a few things
The scope will come with the application bundle (MSO5000-BND) as standard.
1. I would advise if you can get it WITHOUT the bundle and save money you'll be better off

Is there a way to back it up so that I don't lose these options if the hack doesn't work out for some reason
2. well... Yes there is, there's actually 2 ways.  but i think at this point in the game this point is irrelevant because the hack will work
and does work,  Just to be clear also because 2 hacks exist,  I'm talking about the FULLY LICENSED METHOD, which is going to do
exactly what they do at Rigol and properly license the scope and not just patch it, and in doing so you can freely upgrade
the firmware in the future and not lose any of your options.

The 2 methods are, Using the existing method of backing up the FRAM and NAND
Method 2 - Take it back to rigol, Say... something happened and they'll restore it for you, No problem

but like i said, None of this IS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN, we've just had too many people activate successfully for you to be the unlucky one out.
WON'T HAPPEN !

(assuming I don't brick the scope in the process)?
WELL...
- You're NOT gonna brick the scope by doing the python script , that's for certain

- If you lose power during the write process.. YES, You'll brick the scope (if you're concerned about that happening,
  Hook it up to a U.P.S. at the time) or make sure you don't have electrical storms while upgrading

- If you lose Network connection during the write process YES, You'll brick the scope,  so, Make sure you don't yank out the internet cable
  or, your router doesn't die right at that time

that aside.. You are not going to brick your scope,  You're just listening to old rumours that don't apply anymore
SERIOUSLY...

1. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
2. JUST GET A STANDARD MSO5074  NO BUNDLES INSTALLED AND SAVE YOURSELF $600

The process is simple, Just go here and you'll have everything you need
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-dr-mefisto-licensing-method/
If you have any drama's or are unsure, Let me know, no problem, happy to help you

But don't worry, it's gonna be unlocked... no problem at all.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2883 on: May 08, 2024, 06:59:07 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply.  It all makes sense.

The thing is that every Rigol distributor around here is currently including the bundle as standard, free of charge.  It seems that getting the scope without the bundle would actually be more hassle than having it pre-installed.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2884 on: May 08, 2024, 06:59:36 pm »

i should also add this ....

- Most of what you're heard until say... a month ago has been paranoia

- the more expensive a scope is the more people get scared of doing anything,this is where people jump to conclusions like bricking it.
  this was a concern in the beginning , of course, when they were working on it and working out the kinks,  doesn't apply anymore

- Now when DrMefist0 brought out the Version 2 of the python script a few things happened
1. it worked
2. A lot of people were skeptical
3. The patch process really did seem much simpler to do so most went down that road, but the flaw is, it doesn't survive firmware updates.
4. it seemed to only work on certain models (now we know, that being.. Only MSO5072 and MSO5074 without bundles.
    So some people started saying "the script doesn't work", THAT'S NOT TRUE.

5. But recently WE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH, all those scopes that supposedly were not able to activate and license, ARE NOW GETTING
   ACTIVATED AND LICENSED,
Dr Mefisto's script is
rigol_kg2.py

Me and Seppletronics were looking through the script and he saw a  line of code, he changed it and it worked
and we've tested this and it has now worked on quite a few scopes of MSO5000, MSO51000 and i think 1 MSO52000
and with and without BND Options,  so really there is nothing for you to worry about
this new script (which is probably not going to apply to you and only if you have a MSO5100) is called
rigol_kg2_3_00.py
When this happened, it was a game changer, the Patch method is now redundant in my eyes. and everyone that is attempting this
(except for 1 guy, it's a special circumstance) have activated successfully.
and you, on an MSO5074  ARE NOT A SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCE.

it looks though that you'll be using the first one.
if for some reason (i gather because of the bundled options) it doesn't work,  You use the second one,  that's it !!!

it's gonna work, 
don't worry and don't over think it
Just call them and say you changed your mind about the bundled options (if you can still do that )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 07:01:50 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2885 on: May 08, 2024, 07:13:54 pm »

The thing is that every Rigol distributor around here is currently including the bundle as standard, free of charge.  It seems that getting the scope without the bundle would actually be more hassle than having it pre-installed.

The thing is that every Rigol distributor around here is currently including the bundle as standard, free of charge.
Really ? Free of charge ?  so How much is the scope and where are you located? and are you getting L.A. Probe with it
Because ... If you're gonna have it all activated, it includes Logic Analyzer and without the probe, it's pretty useless.

Really do consider getting the LA Probe, that's my advice , I'm in Sydney
i got the Scope for $2,000  No bundles,  MSO5074 with LA Probe  , it was gonna be $2600 but i made a deal for $2,000

and i see the prices have now come down somewhat as well. Sydney prices when i bought it,  the scope was gonna be $2,000
and the probes $600  , which i thought was ridiculous
Now sydney prices, the scope is $1,500 and the probe $400

It seems that getting the scope without the bundle would actually be more hassle than having it pre-installed.
NO.. NOT REALLY
it's not more a problem per se, it's more that
1. if i can save you money i'd rather do that, Because we're gonna uninstall everything anyway and then reinstall everything.
2. it just adds less confusion for you,  but IT'S NOT HARDER BY ANY MEANS.

so if you're getting it TRULY for free, and they're not just inflating the price and telling you crap, then just get it, No problem.
it'll activate the same way
How soon are you planning to have the scope, so that i know when to expect a message from you?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2886 on: May 08, 2024, 07:24:06 pm »
so if you're getting it TRULY for free, and they're not just inflating the price and telling you crap, then just get it, No problem.
The scope is €899+VAT (8.1% here in Switzerland) so there's clearly no pricing shenanigans going on:

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5074.html

I'll definitely get or build a logic probe at some point, though probably not immediately.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2887 on: May 08, 2024, 07:24:46 pm »

Ohh, and when buying the Logic Probe, Tell them (Make it part of the agreement)
SEE...
The stickers on the little channel logic probes (which are really just little squares with numbers on them) and the Ground one's , You have
16GND stickers, of which you only need 1, as they share a common ground
but.. The stickers have a piss weak glue on them   so

1. Get them to send you a new set of stickers (they'll have to order it in, and they will) Make it part of the deal.
this is a KNOWN EXISTING PROBLEM and they will happily send you a set of stickers.

2. When you get home, You're gonna notice a few fall off, My advice,   Just put a touch of superglue or some glue on them
and they'll be fine, but again, if you have a spare sticker pack, that's the better way to go isn't it .

I paid a bit extra for the L.A. probe... HAVEN'T REGRETTED IT FOR A SECOND

Actually i'll say this..
a little over 10 years ago when dave was doing the video on DS1052E Vs  DS2000A
the consensus was.... DS2000A was more expensive,   It was $1100 at the time and the 1052E was $800
I MADE THE DECISION TO GET THE HIGHER ONE... never regretted that decision
and , i wasn't even aware of the hack, Just got the Base model, 2 Ch, 70MHz
but yeah this MSO5000   THIS IS NUTS ,  and i heard of a guy doing a shootout with a MSO5000, MSO7000 and MSO8000 as well as one of the 12bit scopes and an RTB Series Rohde and Shwarz
and he still prefers the MSO5000

it's a very cool scope, YOU ARE GOING TO BE IMPRESSED
so after you activate it, go to this link
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/post-hacking-rigol-mso5000-post-hacking-tutorial-deep-dive/
where i have made a set of some 13 odd videos that go through step by step , Deep Dive into the scope so you now how to use everything
instead of just staying on a basic level of understanding, We go into everything FFT, MATH, REFERENCE, CURSORS etc
and you learn some cool troubleshooting tricks along the way

so seriously, don't worry about anything, You have conveniently jumped in at a very good time when all the bugs have been worked out.
there's really nothing for to be concerned about other than
Don't Lose Power
Don't Lose Network
that's it !
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2888 on: May 08, 2024, 07:32:46 pm »
The scope is €899+VAT (8.1% here in Switzerland) so there's clearly no pricing shenanigans going on:

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5074.html

I'll definitely get or build a logic probe at some point, though probably not immediately.

Yeah that seems right, that's around $1500 Australian, here the scope is currently $2,000 and $1500 is the USD price
so that looks good, if you want to get the LA probe later, that's fine, Just get it as some point.

so it looks like you're good to go, So when do you expect to receive the scope ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2889 on: May 08, 2024, 08:29:22 pm »
No idea. As I said in my first post, at this point I'm thinking through my options.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2890 on: May 08, 2024, 08:37:02 pm »
No idea. As I said in my first post, at this point I'm thinking through my options.
Oh, i thought you had it on order.
No worries then. Make your decision, Knowing that if you do buy it, you won't have a problem upgrading.
Just let me know when you've got it and i'll help you
Be Cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline williamlee

• Contributor
« Reply #2891 on: May 15, 2024, 03:19:41 pm »
I cannot find the firmware Ver. 00.01.03.03.00 on Rigol's official website  :-// :-//
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:21:13 pm by williamlee »

Offline JCS666

• Contributor
    • ea1dzl
« Reply #2892 on: May 15, 2024, 03:55:40 pm »

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2893 on: May 15, 2024, 06:11:35 pm »
I cannot find the firmware Ver. 00.01.03.03.00 on Rigol's official website  :-// :-//

everything you need is here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-dr-mefisto-licensing-method
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf