Author Topic: New Zoyi multimeter+oscilloscopes - ZT-70xS, up to 50MHz/250MSps (nov 2022)  (Read 73526 times)

Offline guyincog

Re: New Zoyi multimeter+oscilloscopes - ZT-70xS, up to 50MHz/250MSps (nov 2022)
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2024, 10:34:02 pm »
What port / jack is the "generator output" port?
My 703 has one usb-c, and two BNC's at the top.

They use the probe compensation loops next to the USB-C port

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2024, 11:21:41 pm »
What port / jack is the "generator output" port?
My 703 has one usb-c, and two BNC's at the top.

They use the probe compensation loops next to the USB-C port
Lug gnd is tx- and signal lug is tx+ ?
So you just alligator clip it for serial data? That's an odd way to make a serial connection. Adding 1/8 phono would have been easy.

Is it the same lugs for Generator too? Or is one of BNC's the Generator?

My 703 Signal Generator stops at 344kHz.

Also, a slight bug. When exiting Signal Generator, it exits back to Scope default mode, not where the settings were, and, it knocks backlight down to 30%.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2024, 11:29:12 pm »
That's exactly what I used for settings.  For hardware, I used something like this from Amazon.  It only has RX, TX and GND so there's no way to mess up the handshaking options! ;) https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-3-5mm-Cable-Interface/dp/B07XXVF4RM
Did you cut off the 1/8" end and wire it to a USB-C male end? My 703 only has USB-C
Is there a 1/8" female to USB-C adapter made for just the serial lines?

Not to the USB-C port.  The serial output is on the probe calibration lug and the ground next to it.  Very strange, but the serial data output seems to be just a throw-away idea.  There's much wrong with the way they implemented this, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 11:33:57 pm by kwass »
-katie

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2024, 11:46:47 pm »
So you just alligator clip it for serial data? That's an odd way to make a serial connection. Adding 1/8 phono would have been easy.

Yes, same lugs. Connect the TTL GND line to the GND (small) lug, and the RX line to the signal output (big) lug. Set your PC terminal to 115200/8/N/1. When UART mode is on the meter sends continuously.

It's crude, but it works.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2024, 03:30:31 pm »

Yes, same lugs. Connect the TTL GND line to the GND (small) lug, and the RX line to the signal output (big) lug. Set your PC terminal to 115200/8/N/1. When UART mode is on the meter sends continuously.

But the TTL interface is needed, right?
Posted earlier --> https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-3-5mm-Cable-Interface/dp/B07XXVF4RM

So with that adapter, we need some type of clip-on to 1/8 female to make it usable. A clip-on that slips on over the lugs, makes contact and retains connection.
Spring loaded pcb with pads, in a 3D printed case ?

Printed a concept connector. Slip boxes basically (one fits in the other). One side plugs into the lugs, the other side accepts 1/8" plug. Obviously would need to be bigger, and will need to house the connections.

Anyone interested in such?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 06:03:06 pm by Randy222 »

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2024, 06:01:33 pm »

Posted earlier --> https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-3-5mm-Cable-Interface/dp/B07XXVF4RM

So with that adapter, we need some type of clip-on to 1/8 female to make it usable. A clip-on that slips on over the lugs, makes contact and retains connection.
Spring loaded pcb with pads, in a 3D printed case ?

Just cut off the 3.5mm plug and solder some alligator/crocodile clips to the leads.  They work well with these lugs.
-katie

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2024, 08:01:53 pm »

My USB to UART cable does not terminate in a 3.5mm plug, it terminates in female Dupont connectors, handy for fitting to header pins. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GZTCC6

For the 703S I used a pair of breadboard Dupont wires in between and just wedged the pins into the generator lug holes to test the UART feature. If I were actually doing some logging with it I'd fasten it with crocodile clips or some other fixed attachment.

If you have the 3.5mm version, then yeah you either cut off the plug and use the bare wires (or attach clips or pins or whatever). Or if you want to keep it intact, rig a female 3.5mm jack to bare wires to mate with it.

It's unlikely I'd use the 703S for logging or remote display, I was just testing out the feature since some were asking and I had a TTL cable handy. All of my bench DMMs and scopes have LXI (ethernet) connections, and for handhelds I have a couple of more serious DMMs plus an Owon HDS2202S scope with USB interfaces that I'd use before this one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:10:08 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2024, 11:06:51 pm »
I suspected low interest in such connector. I'll drum up something from spare parts, just to have as a data cable for the 703. Perhaps a good additional to have when it comes time to sell off the unit.  ;)

Offline Altair8800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2024, 08:43:29 am »

It looks like the learnelectronics YouTube channel is the first to give a review of the ZT-703S DMM/Oscilloscope.

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2024, 10:50:38 am »

It looks like the learnelectronics YouTube channel is the first to give a review of the ZT-703S DMM/Oscilloscope.

Does the 703S have X,Y mode?

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2024, 11:07:05 am »
Yes it has x-y but it seems to be slow.
Zoyi has now the official release
https://youtu.be/7oOIPuvy2qU?si=wwuMHl1cxUcE-zXd

I've ordered a 703S in their shop.

The following users thanked this post: naiclub

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2024, 11:21:15 am »
Yes it has x-y but it seems to be slow.
Zoyi has now the official release
https://youtu.be/7oOIPuvy2qU?si=wwuMHl1cxUcE-zXd

I've ordered a 703S in their shop.
Is this mode right?

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2024, 11:51:25 am »
From my experience using the SOYI 702s, the ohm measurement in the circuit is worse than the Uni-T 61X. The measurement is not very accurate and the result display is very slow. I think if I had the money I would probably move to the Owon-HDS242S which is very accurate. Plus it shows results quickly.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2024, 02:02:35 pm »

These Youtube testers are a strange lot!   ;D
I really don't know much about measuring equipment, but the first thing you get told when you buy a new oscilloscope is:
"Calibrate the probes" and the second thing you get told is "don't measure above 5/6MHz with a 1x probe".
"learnelectronics" has 160,000 subscribers and he does exactly that!

Then he wonders why the amplitude drops at 10MHz
He then says that he doesn't believe it can do 50MHz.
Why "believe" and not measure?

Also, what does a 500KHz sine test mean with a 50MHz oscilloscope?
Have I misunderstood something? I am not a native English speaker.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:38:17 pm by Aldo22 »

The following users thanked this post: winkot, gtv

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2024, 02:29:18 pm »
These Youtube testers are a strange lot!   ;D
I really don't know much about measuring equipment, but the first thing you get told when you buy a new oscilloscope is:
Calibrate the probes and the second thing you get told is don't measure above 5/6MHz with a 1x probe.
"learnelectronics" has 160,000 subscribers and he does exactly that!

I've watched Richard for awhile. I like him but he is an odd fellow, and while he has considerable theoretical knowledge of fundamentals and an easy way of explaining things in a way that beginners & hobbyists can understand, he's awkward as hell when it comes to physically using/doing things. Be it soldering, using a hot air station, test equipment, probing, etc. He tilts me every time he grabs his hot air nozzle and starts waving it around, taking a minute and a half to desolder something. Or when he probes with his beat up Fluke 77 and can't seem to keep the probe tips in place while also pressing so hard his hands shake. I cringe when I watch him sometimes.

That said, his graph paper drawings and video series "All You Need to Know about XXX to Fix Stuff" are his best work, IMO, if you're a hobbyist trying to gain some practical theory quickly. It's just his hands-on work that gives me fits.

EDIT: My mistake, I misread the channel as "learnelectronicsrepair" which is Richards channel. "learnelectronics" is a different channel entirely. I've actually been a long-time subscriber to both.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 08:41:46 pm by Veteran68 »

The following users thanked this post: Hoggy, RAPo, Aldo22

Offline Altair8800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2024, 03:11:07 pm »

@ Veteran68 et al.

I find the computing and electronics fields to be the most peer teaching fields out there.  This is easy to teach others and tons of free (and not so free) resources out there (instructor videos, blogs, books, websites, forum boards, etc.).  Because a lot of people are self-taught (and even if they learn formally get a Comp Sci or EE degree they still learn a lot more on own after formal training...), therefore people tend to be experts in some specific areas while being maybe lacking (or not as strong suit) in others.   

I'm under the assumption Richard/learnelectronics guy started out in electronics from the USA Navy.  So likely learned a lot on his own afterwards...  He is likely popular because he knows more than first time electronics people and willing to share what he knows...

I'm looking forward on other ZT-703S reviews from other YouTubers...  Especially on it's capabilities/limitations and a few Tips or Tricks...

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2024, 03:33:39 pm »
Richard/learnelectronics writes that there is something wrong with his heart:

"Yes, I know my hands are large/fat. It's because of a heart condition I suffer from called Congestive Heart Failure. (...)
One of the symptoms is that it causes fluid retention, mostly in the hands, feet/ankles, and face.."

That explains his physical problems, but not the 1x probe.

Offline idolclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2024, 05:12:12 pm »
ZT-703s Firmware v1.2.7 ~ 2024.01.15

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2024, 05:40:57 pm »
Where did you get this from?  Is there a change log?
-katie

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2024, 06:52:07 pm »
That Richard Paul vid is just a preview of the meter.
Does not appear to be a full test/compare vid.
Yeah, he perhaps missed a few things to highlight or look at, but it did not appear to me to be anything more than a quick setup and push the buttons.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:30:41 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2024, 08:40:21 pm »
My apologies, I read "learnelectronics" as "learnelectronicsrepair." Richard from learnelectronicsrepair is the guy I was referring to.

I've actually subscribed to both for awhile now. They're similar size channels in terms of subscribers, although learnelectronics has been at it longer and has about 3x as many videos.

Yes,
Richard/learnelectronics writes that there is something wrong with his heart:

"Yes, I know my hands are large/fat. It's because of a heart condition I suffer from called Congestive Heart Failure. (...)
One of the symptoms is that it causes fluid retention, mostly in the hands, feet/ankles, and face.."

That explains his physical problems, but not the 1x probe.

Yes he did get his start in the US Navy, and unfortunately suffers from CHF. And even so, I don't find him as physically awkward as Richard from learningelectronicsrepair when it comes to being hands-on. As I mentioned, Richard excels at lecturing and diagramming the theory and fundamentals, while learnelectronics (I can't recall his name) is better at the hands-on aspects. Both are good channels in their own way.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2024, 08:52:55 pm »
..., while learnelectronics (I can't recall his name)...

I think his name is Paul, as some people in the comments thanked "Paul" for the video.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2024, 09:12:14 pm »
..., while learnelectronics (I can't recall his name)...

I think his name is Paul, as some people in the comments thanked "Paul" for the video.

Yes, now that you mention it, I do recall his name being Paul.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2024, 09:31:18 pm »
Anyone know the cpu/architecture these 702/703's are built on?

Offline Altair8800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2024, 11:46:05 pm »
Katie/kwass et al.,  I started a nice post explaining on how to get the updated ZT-703S firmware upgrade, but thought better to install on mine first, but when I did I got the following error message.

I'm trying to contact Zotek (maybe a few hours they will start work) to try and let them know there is an issue, figure out what this exactly mean, and if they can solve it...

In the meanwhile, here is what I was going to originally post...  Maybe you have better luck than me...?

=====

@ Katie et al.,

If you go to Zoyi's website here:
https://zotektools.com/products/zoyi-zt-703s/

Click "Up Date the File" button/link

Then click  "Update the file" button/link

It will take you to a Google Drive and if you click Download it will give you a file called something like:
ZOYI-703S-FW-V127(1).ZTK

I assume the *.ZTK extension is Zoyi's DMM firmware update extension.

To see how to update the firmware there is a YouTube video on how here (with older sister DMM 702S, assume same way to do firmware update)

Nutshell steps (at least for Windows, correct me if I'm wrong)
Turn off ZT-703S
Plug in USB-C cable from PC to ZT-703S
Press F1 and then Power (might have to hold)
On Windows computer should create a new Drive something like RAM E: (note drive letter might be different on your particular computer)
If you go to this new RAM Drive letter it should show a folder called "firmware"
Place the above file *.ZTK inside the "firmware" folder
On the ZT-703S it should show progression bar and "upgrading, do not power off"
=====

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf