Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 759648 times)

Offline Major

Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #2175 on: December 10, 2020, 07:04:41 pm »
I received my SDS2KX+ today and am trying to generate an option key on http://service.siglenteu.com/easyweb/ but simply nothing is being generated. Only some chinese text that translates to 'Getting' on google translate.

Anyone else having such an issue?

And does anyone know if that site even tells you if no match can be found to the filled information or any of that sort?

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2176 on: December 10, 2020, 07:16:41 pm »
I received my SDS2KX+ today and am trying to generate an option key on http://service.siglenteu.com/easyweb/ but simply nothing is being generated. Only some chinese text that translates to 'Getting' on google translate.

And does anyone know if that site even tells you if no match can be found to the filled information or any of that sort?
Do you have a pdf Option Card from Siglent ? (Attached is what one looks like. It has been redeemed/used)
It has the option code to enter into the option web page which will generate the option licenses.

If you have option licenses not on an Option Card you can enter them directly into the scope.

Note, the option codes and option licenses look very similar as they are both 16 character hexadecimal strings.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:27:11 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Major

« Reply #2177 on: December 10, 2020, 07:45:26 pm »

Do you have a pdf Option Card from Siglent ? (Attached is what one looks like. It has been redeemed/used)
It has the option code to enter into the option web page which will generate the option licenses.

If you have option licenses not on an Option Card you can enter them directly into the scope.

Note, the option codes and option licenses look very similar as they are both 16 character hexadecimal strings.

I was provided an option card (like the one you attached), but inserting the given authorized code into the web page gets me nowhere and I cant tell if it is rejected or if Siglent is having issues on their end.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2178 on: December 10, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »

I was provided an option card (like the one you attached), but inserting the given authorized code into the web page gets me nowhere and I cant tell if it is rejected or if Siglent is having issues on their end.
OK, insertion by typing in or Copy/Paste ?

I have found using the scopes webserver the fastest and least error prone method of enabling options.
In particular, in some scopes the SCOPEID is difficult to see whereas Copy/Paste from the System Info page into the Easyweb page removes any chance of error.
The Easyweb page also allows for printing of each license code after license generation for convenient copies of each license and each has the instruction of how to insert licenses into the scope.

I will also check today with the factory if the Easyweb page is operating correctly....some hours yet before they are at work.
In the meanwhile all options are free for 30 trial uses so please just use the scope while we sort this out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:01:23 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2179 on: December 10, 2020, 08:42:54 pm »
So for me, it's not clear love/hate for those built in AWGs..

I´m with you - For doing quick a bode, using the internal gen is a fine thing - and it´s 50Mhz are way over for my needings.. 8)
On the other hand, I'm "afraid" that without the generator placing into the board you might have had a little more "scope"... :D

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2180 on: December 11, 2020, 03:06:04 am »
I don't know of any scope that has built in AWG that is not "toy".
They mostly have very limited capabilities, and low output levels..
The signal generator in the RTB2004 is pretty capable. It can do different modulations, sweeps, bursts and logic signal emulation (I2C, Serial, CAN, SPI...) and can replace a separate unit for most tasks. The output levels are still pretty low though, but I find that to be an acceptable compromise for a built-in feature.

It is not like the signal generator in the SDS2k scope, which can only do static waveforms. The hardware seems capable enough (50MHz, 125Msps!), but the software really lets it down...

The scope part of the SDS2k is a different positive story  :)

Offline Major

« Reply #2181 on: December 11, 2020, 11:19:25 am »

I have found using the scopes webserver the fastest and least error prone method of enabling options.
In particular, in some scopes the SCOPEID is difficult to see whereas Copy/Paste from the System Info page into the Easyweb page removes any chance of error.
The Easyweb page also allows for printing of each license code after license generation for convenient copies of each license and each has the instruction of how to insert licenses into the scope.

I will also check today with the factory if the Easyweb page is operating correctly....some hours yet before they are at work.
In the meanwhile all options are free for 30 trial uses so please just use the scope while we sort this out.

I tried again today with exact same values and this time it did generate a license key which the scope also accepted. So it seems that it was some issue on their end.

On a side note:
About the web interface, I only have 1 ethernet port on my PC which is already in use. Has there been any experiences with an ethernet to usb adapter - do those things work flawlessly?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:33 pm »
I don't know of any scope that has built in AWG that is not "toy".
They mostly have very limited capabilities, and low output levels..
The signal generator in the RTB2004 is pretty capable. It can do different modulations, sweeps, bursts and logic signal emulation (I2C, Serial, CAN, SPI...) and can replace a separate unit for most tasks. The output levels are still pretty low though, but I find that to be an acceptable compromise for a built-in feature.

It is not like the signal generator in the SDS2k scope, which can only do static waveforms. The hardware seems capable enough (50MHz, 125Msps!), but the software really lets it down...

The scope part of the SDS2k is a different positive story  :)

RTB2000 gen looks good on paper, in practice it is limited by output levels.
With siggens, I usually have binary use case: either it is simple signal, maybe sweep, etc.  or it is some complicated thing, usually two channels are needed. Or attenuators needed. Or some other

For digital signals, it is mostly that if I need to generate some signals, then I need to be able to send specific, real messages. Pseudorandom messages RTB2000 makes are good only for scope demonstrations..
They are only datasheet feature.

Fact is that most siggens in scopes have primary use for FRA and for grab and replay AWG functions. Even for that, there is sometimes need to supplement them with amplifier to make for weak output amps.

Even cheapest standalone AWG will be more powerful.
For digital signals I use Digital Discovery that will give you multichannel pattern generator with serial protocols and decoding, scripting, ROM logic mode etc etc. Very powerful little thing.

I would not pay for AWG option on a scope, same money gives real standalone appliance that is superior.
I have siggen enabled on my MSOX3000T, but only because it came free in bundle.

After 2 years, I used it only for those two purposes ( those I used quite a lot ). Make note that 3000T gen is also quite capable, not that basic. It is much better than my old Hameg analog HM8030-6.
I did use it maybe few times, when I needed simple signal to check something.. It was there and already on.  But if it weren't there, I wouldn't miss it.

So in my opinion, Siglent made appropriate amount of effort with AWG that fits well for my use case. I would hate for them to spend time on unimportant AWG when they can refine FFT, FRA, and scope in general. Once that is polished enough, they could add a thing or two to AWG if they can. That is fine. Better is better. But I think it shouldn't be priority.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, zerto

Offline Mouse69

• Contributor
« Reply #2183 on: December 11, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »
Have a look at getting an ethernet hub or switch, I've used NetGear ones and you can get a five port hub for UK £25.

Connect you PC to the Hub and your other item currently connected (so you will need 1 additional ethernet cable) and then connect your scope (another ethernet cable) to the hub as well.

Each item will need it's own IP address (but not the hub/switch).  So it should just be the scope you need to set the IP address on as your current setup (if working) should have them.

Hope this helps. 
Cut towards your chum, not towards your thumb

The following users thanked this post: Major

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2184 on: December 11, 2020, 01:51:37 pm »

I tried again today with exact same values and this time it did generate a license key which the scope also accepted. So it seems that it was some issue on their end.

On a side note:
About the web interface, I only have 1 ethernet port on my PC which is already in use. Has there been any experiences with an ethernet to usb adapter - do those things work flawlessly?

What Mouse69 said.
Get a switch, even brand new 1Gbit 5 port switches are cheap and not much more expensive than cables...

The following users thanked this post: Major

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: December 11, 2020, 03:22:29 pm »
10G switches are even cheap now these days..

a 4 10G / 16 1G for 150? crazy

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/DS_AIO_1930SwitchSeries.pdf

If you were around ohio i'd just give you one out of my junk bin.. i got so many 8 port switches hanging around i should send them to the scrapyard and appease the wife unit

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2186 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:55 am »
I would hate for them to spend time on unimportant AWG...
OK, now we know you dont need it. Good for you. :clap: However, others may have other needs...

Yes, output levels are always limited ::). However 5-6Vpp is more than enough for many tasks: Interfacing logic, driving transistors, providing line audio signal, RF signals up to ~10dBm.

Adding an external amplifier or using a separate generator when needing higher levels is an excellent hardware trade-off. However gimping the siggen software just to sell a separate unit is not. So I would rather Siglent spent a little more time on giving the siggen some love.  ;D

Also being a bit imaginative, some unique and innovative scope/siggen features (like the Bode plotter) could be made: Trigging waveforms/bursts when scope trigs, modulate signal with scope input (BW limited of course). :popcorn:

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2187 on: December 12, 2020, 12:06:53 pm »
I would hate for them to spend time on unimportant AWG...
OK, now we know you dont need it. Good for you. :clap: However, others may have other needs...

Yes, output levels are always limited ::). However 5-6Vpp is more than enough for many tasks: Interfacing logic, driving transistors, providing line audio signal, RF signals up to ~10dBm.

Adding an external amplifier or using a separate generator when needing higher levels is an excellent hardware trade-off. However gimping the siggen software just to sell a separate unit is not. So I would rather Siglent spent a little more time on giving the siggen some love.  ;D

Also being a bit imaginative, some unique and innovative scope/siggen features (like the Bode plotter) could be made: Trigging waveforms/bursts when scope trigs, modulate signal with scope input (BW limited of course). :popcorn:

No need to be snarky..
I'm speaking from position of my experience.. I don't speak from a position of what I like, but what I experienced in practice.
I can't pretend those are universal truth. So hence I use those words.

But, I do have a lot of experience, and work on many different types of projects (customers choose what I do), and I'm sharing that experience with people.

In practice built in siggens are used for easy replay of captured data (for better quality, you still need to upload data somewhere, massage it on PC  and then load in higher quality/capability AWG for more control),
they are best way to have FRA in a scope (outside gens work but it is not as elegant),
they are used for scope demonstrations,
they are used in EDU environments,
and they are used when you have nothing else around .

They are more than enough to do basic check of audio amps, AM radio, and lots of other stuff. They are infinitely better than nothing.

I still think, that you and everybody else would get better value if they had put simple, stupid AWG in RTB2000 like the one in SDS2000X+ (which would still be useful for FRA and simple stuff)  and in return for that simplification, to have given you 4 ch simplex of decodes instead of 2ch simplex. Because there a dozens of people bitching about that here on forum, and I don't remember many here decided which scope to buy based on AWG as very important point.

Siglent simply kept their priorities right : It's a scope with auxiliary siggen. R&S has more of a marketing approach: Lets see what gizmos can we add that will not cost much in BOM and they will be nice to see on datasheet, so we have "more stuff" than competition.. That is fine, but in practice, as I explained before, not necessarily very useful in real life. And you paid for it. You want for Siglent to give you all that development for free, but R&S made you pay for that additional AWG development through higher base price of instrument (and license to enable it), whether you use it or not.

And also those "unique and innovative scope/siggen features (like the Bode plotter) could be made: " could be made on any scope with built in AWG. It's just code, really..

You know why those built in AWG's are not better or have no those advanced features? Because those are scopes. All those already exists in standalone siggens.
And in order to use them, you need separate instrument, with its own screen, and buttons... Operating scope and AWG at the same time on the same screen is horrible user experience..

That is why scope manufacturers put in those (deliberately) simple AWGs in scopes: they need it for FRA, they don't cost much in BOM, and it makes for nice help in a pinch. And makes them look good in datasheets in this era of "featuritis" wars...

But they will always stay that way, because adding separate, good, clean power for AWG to make output swing at least+-10V, adding second channel and making them synchronised while independent, putting in separate low jitter TCXO, it's own large FPGA ... They simply would have to take complete separate AWG and put it in same case as scope. Together with all hardware and software development and then they have to make kludge of U/I that will share front panel/screen between the two, all that interactively....
And that's a mess.. And it would increase price, to the one of a scope, full AWG and integration. It would actually be more expensive than scope and awg separately..
So scope's AWG will stay simple for a while..

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: December 12, 2020, 06:05:17 pm »

No need to be snarky..
I'm speaking from position of my experience.. I don't speak from a position of what I like, but what I experienced in practice.
I can't pretend those are universal truth. So hence I use those words.

But, I do have a lot of experience, and work on many different types of projects (customers choose what I do), and I'm sharing that experience with people.
And it would increase price, to the one of a scope, full AWG and integration. It would actually be more expensive than scope and awg separately..
So scope's AWG will stay simple for a while..
And no need to man-splain it any further. I also have 20+ years of experience, but don't tell people what they don't need or want.

But you still don't get, that nobody wants to increase the price of the scope. I just wish Siglent would make the software features worth the price of the siggen license. And some other companies (e.g. R&S) have shown it does not need to be a "horrible user experience" (although some people probably still think so...).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: December 12, 2020, 07:44:05 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2190 on: December 12, 2020, 08:41:10 pm »
R&S has more of a marketing approach: Lets see what gizmos can we add that will not cost much in BOM and they will be nice to see on datasheet, so we have "more stuff" than competition.. That is fine, but in practice, as I explained before, not necessarily very useful in real life. And you paid for it. You want for Siglent to give you all that development for free, but R&S made you pay for that additional AWG development through higher base price of instrument (and license to enable it), whether you use it or not.
I have to disagree here. The waveform generator in the R&S RTM3004 (and probably the RTB2004 as well because it is closely related) is very useful. Yes, the amplitude is limited but it still allows to do an awful lot before you need an external function generator. IOW: it doesn't run out of steam that quickly with 10Vpp into a high-z load. Sure it costs extra for the hardware but it is not like it is useless if you get it as part of a package deal.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:07:13 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2191 on: December 12, 2020, 10:39:32 pm »
And no need to man-splain it any further. I also have 20+ years of experience, but don't tell people what they don't need or want.

I disagree, you are doing just that, you just don't like that I think you're wrong. I also explained exactly why I'm advocating my stance..

I don't have a problem that you think differently. It's just not everybody thinks the same. I just represent that other group, you 're not a part of.. It's sort of balanced thing.
We both are right for our standpoint. Professionals will know better than blindly trust you or me.. Beginners might see it's not that simple, see different opinions, and maybe recognize themselves in examples and draw parallels. And maybe make better decision.

But you still don't get, that nobody wants to increase the price of the scope. I just wish Siglent would make the software features worth the price of the siggen license. And some other companies (e.g. R&S) have shown it does not need to be a "horrible user experience" (although some people probably still think so...).

And you failed to respect that our Chinese colleagues don't work for free, and that they gave you siggen worth the price. It is much cheaper than RTB2000, so simpler AWG, and effort went to make great scope.
If you wanted to get same features on SDS2000X+ it would have to be more expensive. Developing features takes time and money, even in China.
R&S charges you much more money for it, it  should be much better than it is..

Siglent SDS2104X Plus is 1400 € with full option (no hacking), R&S® RTB2K-104 is 2600€ +560€ siggen .. Despite that huge price difference, scope part on Siglent is on par with R&S....
So you either expect Siglent to give even more for less than half of the money...  For 560€ siggen price of license you can buy great external AWG  plus SDS2104X+ and still have 500€ left...
That is what I have in mind...

Best regards,

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, Martin72

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: December 12, 2020, 10:52:29 pm »
Think having a moderately capable AWG available within the DSO can be handy sometimes. Certainly useful for the nice built-in Bode Plots, however many occasions require more capability that an In-DSO AWG can provide.

Here's an example of a test we needed to make on a Successive Detection Log Amp when driven by a pulsed RF input waveform. The In-DSO AWG with the SDS2102X Plus doesn't have the capability to produce pulsed RF and analog waveforms, so we utilized the SDG2042X which does. Since I didn't have a power supply readily available we used the second channel to power the DUT using the DC output at 9V from the 2nd channel :)

AWG second channels can come in handy in many ways if they can support a higher output voltage (and current). ;)

The input to the Log Amp has a 30dB attenuator in front and the Log Amp has a scale factor of 37.5mv/dB. The SDG2042 conveniently has a dBm scale which made stepping the input power in 10dB steps easy, from -40 to +10dBm. Since the Log Amp has a 30dB attenuator in front the input is from -70 to -20dBm, it has an intercept of -88.3dBM and a range of over 80dB. The RF input is selected to provide 20 cycles at 10MHz with a 10ms repeat period.

Anyway, having an In-DSO AWG is very handy, we've used it many times, but it can't replace a quality full-functioned AWG for more involved testing. So have your cake and eat it too with and internal and external AWG (use the wonderful help function here on EEVBlog if you are a hobbiest to keep the cost down :)

BTW we even use the cheap Juntek Dual Channel DPA-1698 to bump the 2042X AWG outputs to 40VPP @1amp, although the BW is limited to 100KHz. It's noisy but can be a Poor Mans Programmable PS or higher power LF (noisy) AWG in a pinch (stepper motor drive).

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Jacon

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2193 on: December 12, 2020, 10:54:09 pm »
I also have 20+ years of experience

And mine is bigger than the others... 8)

For me, internal awgs are too weak what output amplitude concerns, in general.
It´s easy to say, well then use an additional amplifier - So I got a second, external unit on the bench - What is the difference having this in an external awg.. ???
A few months ago, I´ve bought a siglent 2-ch awg with max 20Vpp and two channels and (now... ;) ) 60Mhz bandwith.
It can do much more than other internal awgs and got better specs also - And costs appx around 300 bucks.
So I give a s*** on the int. awg and don´t care about the very rudimental (siglent internal awg) functions.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Jacon

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: December 12, 2020, 10:59:27 pm »
SDS2104X freshly received, all good but one minor detail - the select and level (small) rotational knobs are annoyingly behaving like contaminated with particles, something rubbing and scratching around when turned. I have not seen this from other Siglent equipment. Scope cal sheet says it is from the end of 09.2020. Anyone else has noticed similar? (And yes, yes, princess and the pea syndrome...) ???

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: December 12, 2020, 11:01:37 pm »
R&S has more of a marketing approach: Lets see what gizmos can we add that will not cost much in BOM and they will be nice to see on datasheet, so we have "more stuff" than competition.. That is fine, but in practice, as I explained before, not necessarily very useful in real life. And you paid for it. You want for Siglent to give you all that development for free, but R&S made you pay for that additional AWG development through higher base price of instrument (and license to enable it), whether you use it or not.
I have to disagree here. The waveform generator in the R&S RTM3004 (and probably the RTB2004 as well because it is closely related) is very useful. Yes, the amplitude is limited but it still allows to do an awful lot before you need an external function generator. IOW: it doesn't run out of steam that quickly with 10Vpp into a high-z load. Sure it costs extra for the hardware but it is not like it is useless if you get it as part of a package deal.
And same thing with MSOX3000T siggen. It is quite capable, I got it for free as a part of bundle, and although it's there, I use it only in occasions I mentioned.
I mentioned that you can do quite a lot with them, and that any gen is better than nothing. But I wouldn't ever buy it as an option because I can get one helluva AWG for the money.
SDS2000X+ siggen is simpler because it was deliberate design decision to give you better oscilloscope for less money. If they would remove the control of AWG completely and use it only for FRA, and dropping price another 200 € that would sell even better. I guarantee.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: December 12, 2020, 11:14:00 pm »
SDS2104X freshly received, all good but one minor detail - the select and level (small) rotational knobs are annoyingly behaving like contaminated with particles, something rubbing and scratching around when turned. I have not seen this from other Siglent equipment. Scope cal sheet says it is from the end of 09.2020. Anyone else has noticed similar? (And yes, yes, princess and the pea syndrome...) ???
Just pull the encoder knobs off and check for shaft clearance against the case. It may be the knobs have been pressed on too far or the shafts are a tad too short in which case pack the inside of the knob so the knob doesn't press fully home.

Please report what you find.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: NCG

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2197 on: December 12, 2020, 11:15:58 pm »
And same thing with MSOX3000T siggen. It is quite capable, I got it for free as a part of bundle, and although it's there, I use it only in occasions I mentioned.
I mentioned that you can do quite a lot with them, and that any gen is better than nothing. But I wouldn't ever buy it as an option because I can get one helluva AWG for the money.
I tend to disagree. A good, reliable (as in 'works as expected') AWG sets you back several k€ and you'll still be below 30MHz.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2198 on: December 12, 2020, 11:25:27 pm »
the select and level (small) rotational knobs are annoyingly behaving like contaminated with particles, something rubbing and scratching around when turned.

Can confirm this..

The following users thanked this post: NCG

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #2199 on: December 13, 2020, 12:02:51 am »
Ah, ok, so this is the age old case of cheap rotary encoders used (button caps are placed at correct depth). So, does the front panel come off without desoldering the input stage BNC jacks so the damn encoders can be changed for good ones?  >:D

(And does the 5000 series have same problem?)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 12:05:41 am by NCG »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf