Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 1754325 times)

0 Members and 104 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4600 on: January 09, 2025, 09:09:32 pm »
Got my SDS2104X plus (as an upgrade to my SDS1202X-E). First thing I noticed after removed the screen protector is that there is a layer of sticky glue on the screen surface, and it took me good amount of effort to rub it off. On the other hand on the screen protector itself there is no residue at all. Very strange. FPGA version shows 2022, so may be an old stock? But still ...
Yeah darn annoying when that happens !  :horse:

Seems only units that have been in stock for a bit give issues with the protective overlay.
However with the toughened glass these scopes use there is little risk of marking it when removing the sticky mess.

Plastic scraper with a little IPA gets most off then some screen wipes or paper toweling and IPA to tidy up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4601 on: January 09, 2025, 09:16:15 pm »
Nothing serious just took some efforts as the flakes of the residue also get stuck in the gap of the screen and body ... Wish they were not so generous with glues!

Got my SDS2104X plus (as an upgrade to my SDS1202X-E). First thing I noticed after removed the screen protector is that there is a layer of sticky glue on the screen surface, and it took me good amount of effort to rub it off. On the other hand on the screen protector itself there is no residue at all. Very strange. FPGA version shows 2022, so may be an old stock? But still ...
Yeah darn annoying when that happens !  :horse:

Seems only units that have been in stock for a bit give issues with the protective overlay.
However with the toughened glass these scopes use there is little risk of marking it when removing the sticky mess.

Plastic scraper with a little IPA gets most off then some screen wipes or paper toweling and IPA to tidy up.
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4602 on: January 09, 2025, 09:39:27 pm »
An example of the unexpected vertical zoom behavior I was talking about:

SDS2104X_Plus_PNG_1: Zoom out (default capture)
SDS2104X_Plus_PNG_2: Zoom in

Got my SDS2104X plus (as an upgrade to my SDS1202X-E). First thing I noticed after removed the screen protector is that there is a layer of sticky glue on the screen surface, and it took me good amount of effort to rub it off. On the other hand on the screen protector itself there is no residue at all. Very strange. FPGA version shows 2022, so may be an old stock? But still ...

One thing puzzled me is that, can SDS2104X-PLUS do vertical zoom? When I enter zoom mode, a split screen shows up, with upper screen shows the whole waveforms capture and a region of interest (ROI) box highlight current visible waveforms on lower screen. When I actually start moving the ROI box (either dragging with finger or using the vertical offset knob), I can see that, on the upper screen, the waveform capture from two channels stay where they are, only the ROI window moves (expected behavior). But on the lower screen only the waveform (current active channel) is moving, which is completely counter-intuitive. And the same thing happens for the zoom window scale change. Is this a bug? or something I did wrong? I never saw anyone complains about it. I did update everything (OS/firmware) to the latest.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4603 on: January 09, 2025, 10:14:36 pm »
An example of the unexpected vertical zoom behavior I was talking about:

SDS2104X_Plus_PNG_1: Zoom out (default capture)
SDS2104X_Plus_PNG_2: Zoom in
Just needed a refresher.....

When in Zoom mode and zoomed window, select channel to permit V/div adjustment and use V Pos to pace the vertically zoomed portion of interest on the display.
In the unzoomed window a box appears around the portion in the zoomed window.

The channel tabs give indication of what's going on. ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Online 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8748
  • Country: hr
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4604 on: January 09, 2025, 10:15:13 pm »
If you look at the bottom of the screen, you can see that Z1 is selected.
If you now use vertical knob you can change secondary vertical V/div and vertical position.
Select Z2 and do the same.
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4605 on: January 09, 2025, 10:44:16 pm »
Thank you guys. I guess my expectation is a little bit different. I thought zoom here is like zooming in a picture, where the scale and relative position of traces do not change. But in this case when I do vertical zoom/pan, there are discrepancies between the upper and lower screen.

Is this behavior consistent in Siglent product line (e.g., the newer SDS2000X HD)?

I don't have lots of experience with scopes of different brand. But I vaguely remember Tektronix zoom is more like zoom everything together, not individual channel
 

Online 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8748
  • Country: hr
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4606 on: January 09, 2025, 10:48:06 pm »
Thank you guys. I guess my expectation is a little bit different. I thought zoom here is like zooming in a picture, where the scale and relative position of traces do not change. But in this case when I do vertical zoom/pan, there are discrepancies between the upper and lower screen.

Is this behavior consistent in Siglent product line (e.g., the newer SDS2000X HD)?

I don't have lots of experience with scopes of different brand. But I vaguely remember Tektronix zoom is more like zoom everything together, not individual channel

Those are two philosophies.
It helps if you think about it as if the Siglent gives you secondary timebase and secondary vertical for each channel.


"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4607 on: January 09, 2025, 10:56:49 pm »
But the position/scale discrepancies between upper/lower screen absolutely do not make sense.
 
Thank you guys. I guess my expectation is a little bit different. I thought zoom here is like zooming in a picture, where the scale and relative position of traces do not change. But in this case when I do vertical zoom/pan, there are discrepancies between the upper and lower screen.

Is this behavior consistent in Siglent product line (e.g., the newer SDS2000X HD)?

I don't have lots of experience with scopes of different brand. But I vaguely remember Tektronix zoom is more like zoom everything together, not individual channel

Those are two philosophies.
It helps if you think about it as if the Siglent gives you secondary timebase and secondary vertical for each channel.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4608 on: January 09, 2025, 10:58:24 pm »
Thank you guys. I guess my expectation is a little bit different. I thought zoom here is like zooming in a picture, where the scale and relative position of traces do not change. But in this case when I do vertical zoom/pan, there are discrepancies between the upper and lower screen.

Is this behavior consistent in Siglent product line (e.g., the newer SDS2000X HD)?

I don't have lots of experience with scopes of different brand. But I vaguely remember Tektronix zoom is more like zoom everything together, not individual channel

Those are two philosophies.
It helps if you think about it as if the Siglent gives you secondary timebase and secondary vertical for each channel.
This ^^^

Doing it this way, to a large extent overcomes the normal vertical offset limitations.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4609 on: January 09, 2025, 11:04:58 pm »
Well the timebase is the same for both channels during zoom. I am not sure there is such things as per-channel timebase (obviously does not quite make sense, either). And this is what I would expect the zoom to work.

Thank you guys. I guess my expectation is a little bit different. I thought zoom here is like zooming in a picture, where the scale and relative position of traces do not change. But in this case when I do vertical zoom/pan, there are discrepancies between the upper and lower screen.

Is this behavior consistent in Siglent product line (e.g., the newer SDS2000X HD)?

I don't have lots of experience with scopes of different brand. But I vaguely remember Tektronix zoom is more like zoom everything together, not individual channel

Those are two philosophies.
It helps if you think about it as if the Siglent gives you secondary timebase and secondary vertical for each channel.
This ^^^

Doing it this way, to a large extent overcomes the normal vertical offset limitations.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4610 on: January 09, 2025, 11:25:57 pm »
Well the timebase is the same for both channels during zoom. I am not sure there is such things as per-channel timebase (obviously does not quite make sense, either). And this is what I would expect the zoom to work.
Yes, just because we have demonstrated vertical zoom.
Select the main or secondary timebase to make the necessary adjustment and whatever channel to engage vertical zoom with V/div and level adjustment.
Toggle between the split display by touch, mouse or channel tab to engage each to the timebase and/or vertical control.
Look for the dotted border change indicating which zoom window you are in.

Much more powerful than your old X-E but I do understand you're trying to get your head around it.
Work with what you have on your new SDS2kX Plus and shortly it will come naturally.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2025, 11:29:30 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4611 on: January 10, 2025, 12:00:39 am »
Thanks. So is this behavior the same across all Siglent scopes? specifically the new HD lines?

Well the timebase is the same for both channels during zoom. I am not sure there is such things as per-channel timebase (obviously does not quite make sense, either). And this is what I would expect the zoom to work.
Yes, just because we have demonstrated vertical zoom.
Select the main or secondary timebase to make the necessary adjustment and whatever channel to engage vertical zoom with V/div and level adjustment.
Toggle between the split display by touch, mouse or channel tab to engage each to the timebase and/or vertical control.
Look for the dotted border change indicating which zoom window you are in.

Much more powerful than your old X-E but I do understand you're trying to get your head around it.
Work with what you have on your new SDS2kX Plus and shortly it will come naturally.
 

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4612 on: January 10, 2025, 12:14:48 am »
Thanks. So is this behavior the same across all Siglent scopes? specifically the new HD lines?
Yes and all those models using the newer UI.

We've all had to adapt and embrace it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline coldfire

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4613 on: January 10, 2025, 12:24:07 am »
Thanks. Now at least I know I did not miss much. Have been debating which model to get. 4-channel/Deep memory/Horizontal zoom are my priorities. The SDS2014X-PLUS seems to provide great value for its price point.

Thanks. So is this behavior the same across all Siglent scopes? specifically the new HD lines?
Yes and all those models using the newer UI.

We've all had to adapt and embrace it.  ;)
 
The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautechTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31965
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4614 on: January 10, 2025, 12:30:08 am »
Thanks. Now at least I know I did not miss much. Have been debating which model to get. 4-channel/Deep memory/Horizontal zoom are my priorities. The SDS2014X-PLUS seems to provide great value for its price point.
It is too IMO.
They still sell well a few years after release.

Their 10bit mode can be handy for enhanced accuracy although it's limited to 100 MHz capability in all SDS2kX Plus models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline bairdbankovic

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4615 on: February 12, 2025, 04:27:13 pm »
@tautech, can you say what wireless keyboard you use? I have tried a number of wireless keyboards and none of them seem to work with the scope. Maybe I am missing something, I am just plugging in an IR receiver to the front USB port on the scope and expecting the wireless keyboard to work. Is that not how to do this?
I can get a wired keyboard to work, but wireless would be very nice.
Thanks!
 

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8280
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4616 on: February 12, 2025, 06:19:54 pm »
@tautech, can you say what wireless keyboard you use? I have tried a number of wireless keyboards and none of them seem to work with the scope. Maybe I am missing something, I am just plugging in an IR receiver to the front USB port on the scope and expecting the wireless keyboard to work. Is that not how to do this?
I can get a wired keyboard to work, but wireless would be very nice.
Thanks!

You need a wireless keyboard that comes with a dongle. I've used different Logitech ones with that scope fine.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: bairdbankovic

Offline Szybkijanek

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 42
  • Country: pl
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4617 on: February 13, 2025, 09:21:45 pm »
Hi, is there any news about the possibility of adding an option view %THD factor from FFT screen? Is it possible?
 

Online 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8748
  • Country: hr
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4618 on: February 13, 2025, 09:34:09 pm »
Hi, is there any news about the possibility of adding an option view %THD factor from FFT screen? Is it possible?

No it does not measure THD%
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 

Offline Paul_GD

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: de
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4619 on: February 14, 2025, 08:27:43 pm »
Been testing around a bit today, unlocked 4 math channels and re-enabled anti-aliasing on the scope.

I haven't had the time to do any actual measurements as of now, but even from just probing a cardiac signal with all four math channels enabled, I can say that it can technically
do it. It is noticably slower, there's some stutters when using the mouse, though I would argue that it also starts stuttering when enabling just one FFT.

Maybe Siglent is gonna give us a gift and make this option official in the next update?   :P
 
The following users thanked this post: Deichgraf

Offline ozkarah

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 125
  • Country: tr
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4620 on: February 17, 2025, 06:14:13 pm »

My SDS2014X Plus decided not to turn on today.
I checked the power cord and the fuse. They seem to be okay.
I tried long and hard pressing the power button.

Do you have any idea to try before disassembling?

 

Offline bdunham7

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9435
  • Country: us
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4621 on: February 17, 2025, 06:34:43 pm »
Been testing around a bit today, unlocked 4 math channels and re-enabled anti-aliasing on the scope.

Did I miss something?  Could you share the details here?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.
 

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8280
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4622 on: February 17, 2025, 06:38:01 pm »

My SDS2014X Plus decided not to turn on today.
I checked the power cord and the fuse. They seem to be okay.
I tried long and hard pressing the power button.

Do you have any idea to try before disassembling?

https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/oscilloscope-hardware-reset/


Quote
In some extreme hardware errors, the oscilloscope may become unresponsive or “hang” during the boot sequence.

If your oscilloscope is frozen, will not boot, or appears to be unresponsive, you can attempt a hardware reset by following these instructions:

1. Disconnect all USB, LAN, and input cables. Leave the power cord connected.

2. Power cycle the instrument by pressing the power button.

3. Immediately begin pressing the MATH button repeatedly at a rate of 2 to 3 times a second while the instrument boots up.

4. If the instrument does not boot up properly, retry steps 2 through 4.

NOTE: If you continue to have problems, contact your nearest SIGLENT office for service.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: ozkarah

Offline ozkarah

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 125
  • Country: tr
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4623 on: February 17, 2025, 06:47:46 pm »
Thanks Josh,

I read this. However, I can not power recycle the unit. Nothing happens when I press power button.
 

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8280
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4624 on: February 17, 2025, 07:01:42 pm »
I read this. However, I can not power recycle the unit. Nothing happens when I press power button.

Try this:

Disconnect ALL cables. Wait 5 minutes. Connect only power cable. Then power on and do the MATH button thing even if you don't see a logo popup.

You might need recovery files, which might help your situation if the above doesn't help.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: ozkarah


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->