Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36480633 times)

Robert763, diskcopy and 973 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134450 on: August 08, 2023, 07:11:32 pm »
So, I really, really really do need to buy a more powerful iron... there is just no way around it.

I must admit I'm a convert to Metcal, with a selection of different size and temperature tips. (Lead and lead-free solder)

The key point is that the temperature is sensed and controlled right in the tip, and when the temperature is low a lot of heat is dumped into the tip until is reaches the defined temperature.

Changing tip is fast too.ad

The Thermaltronics tips are chaeaper and compatible.

Consider scouring fleabay and local auctions, and pouncing when you see one.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4566
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134451 on: August 08, 2023, 07:39:04 pm »
Yes, we discussed that a year ago I vivdly remember.

BD139 said he was very happy with his little PS900 model, saying it could take anything he threw at it.

However the PS900 i srated a tonly 60W which is barely more than the 50W Weller "Magnastat" I have here.

I think we figured the 60W of a Metcal actually could be compared to 90 or more Watts "conventional" iron, though I can remember what the technical reasoning was.

Maybe the induction thing get more of that 60W into the actual tip, compared to a resistive heating element, I don't know.

The affordable tips and ablity to change them on the fly easily is great indeed. 

 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3762
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134452 on: August 08, 2023, 07:51:51 pm »
OK the caps got delivered a couple hours ago. I just finished fitting them.

Recap is now 99.9% done.  Am just missing one single cap, that 3.3uF 350V one.

Then of course fix that fan motor and fan itself.

My soldering iron is really under powered. There are a few caps that sit flush on the PCB so you can't inspect the joint on the component side to make sure the solder flowed properly to the other side of the board.
Since my iron is under powered and some grounds had too high a thermal mass for my iron to handle comfortably... it makes me nervous. Some invisible joints are maybe not 100% good and might cause problems who knows.

So, I really, really really do need to buy a more powerful iron... there is just no way around it.

Vince, I've got your capacitor & a couple of extra bits packed (to fill the letter up to 100g), will post it tomorrow.

David
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4566
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134453 on: August 08, 2023, 08:04:22 pm »
Wow, thank you very much !!! :D
 

Offline dazz1

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1142
  • Country: nz
Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134454 on: August 09, 2023, 03:04:17 am »
Hi
Normally I leave these show-you-what-I-purchased type threads feeling depressed because it never happens to me.  Good used test equipment in my country is rare and because of that, usually way over priced. 

Today I received my latest acquisition that I can gloat about.  I purchased an HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 channel Logic Analyzer.    It is the first and only one I have seen in this country.    Normally this type of kit sells for eye-watering prices, but this one was reasonable.  Not cheap, but not stupid either. 

I don't know anything of its history, but it is 25years old and in pristine condition.  Even the bottom of the feet are almost unmarked.  It has had a kind life.

It came without test leads but it is fitted with the not terribly useful parallel/serial ports interface.    The logic analyser is a new capability for my workshop, but I need leads for that too.

This won't replace my Phillips 3070 because that has the x,y,z inputs that will interface to my Electro-Metrics EM30 EMC receiver to make it a spectrum analyzer. 

The only niggle with the HP is that the fan is noisy.  I tried opening the case but failed. 

The CRT is scalpel blade sharp with no sign of burn-in.    The CRT tube is very short.

OK so now I need to start hunting for digital probes on e-bay.   It would be nice to get the maths module but they seem to have very high asking prices.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 03:15:35 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, Robert763, ch_scr, factory, AVGresponding, duckduck, m k

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4086
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134455 on: August 09, 2023, 03:11:30 am »
Do a search on this forum, there was some discussion a while back about mods and stuff for these units.
You might be able to unlock some options etc. ;)

I am of no help with specifics though, I'm a TekScope whore through-and-through. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:06:48 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: dazz1

Offline dazz1

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1142
  • Country: nz
Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134456 on: August 09, 2023, 04:36:49 am »
Hi
I opened the case.  I just needed to push harder.
The main processor board is underneath.
Inside is just really clean. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:40:02 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?
 

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: us
Re: Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134457 on: August 09, 2023, 04:48:11 am »
Today I received my latest acquisition that I can gloat about.  I purchased an HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 channel Logic Analyzer.   

Does it have the game?

 
The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline dazz1

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1142
  • Country: nz
Re: Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134458 on: August 09, 2023, 08:40:06 am »

Does it have the game?


Not Tetris.
Mine has Bugs !
A lot like a fancy version of Space Invaders.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 10:04:48 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4566
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134459 on: August 09, 2023, 10:59:25 am »
Congratulations !

I have the exact same scope, welcome to the club !  :-+

I love mine, bought it just a year ago now, time flies.

If you want to address the RIFA caps, there is one, hiding in the middle of the PSU board.
From what I remember, it was not easy to work on, surrounded by tall components.
Oh wait, I have pictures of it ! It pays to take pictures...



« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 11:02:55 am by Vince »
 
The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134460 on: August 09, 2023, 12:36:18 pm »
Before I will be forcefully removed from this thread for not buying any "new" TE in too long a time, a strange coincidence occurred. I wanted something, I looked at the bay for the first time in almost a year, and there was exactly what I was hoping for, with the auction ending about a day later: A Philips PM3231 dual-beam CRO. Perhaps easier to get working than its ill-faited mixed hollow-state/semiconductor predecessor, the PM3230 (one day I will look at this, too).

Since I want to focus on the repair, I decided to open a thread in the repair section: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/philips-pm3231-repairrestoration/

Ero-Shan
 
The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline RolandK

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134461 on: August 09, 2023, 01:48:07 pm »
For Germans that want a good scope at an acceptable price (IMHO, not affiliated in any way with the seller):

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-tds5054b/2515212504-168-4440



(If you can't do pick-up, use the EBAY-like buyer protection method provided by the site, it saved me a couple of times for a reasonable fee).

Cheers,
DC1MC

Insists on paypal friends with funny reasoning: "The paypal account of his wife is overloaded." I don't belive you will get anything for your money.
:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:
Why do old schaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.
 

Online Robert763

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3058
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134462 on: August 09, 2023, 03:46:37 pm »
Good find on the 54645D. I've have one (my first was 20 years ago) and it's my favorite all-purpose 'scope.
Note that some of the I/O modules add functionality as well as I/O. I managed to buy a dirty non mixed signal 'scope with a 54659B RS-232 and Centronics Measurement/storage module at a good price. I cleaned it up kept the 54659B and sold the 'scope for a profit.
for GPIB go for the 54657A GPIB Measurement/storage module.

Robert.
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4086
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134463 on: August 09, 2023, 04:06:25 pm »
Heeeyyyy, wait a minute!  :-/O
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 
The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, m k

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4566
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134464 on: August 09, 2023, 04:16:55 pm »
That doesn't add up, clearly this scope has been messed with ! I hope you can get a refund  >:D
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4086
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134465 on: August 09, 2023, 04:19:50 pm »
With great mental anguish, I think I can bear to live with this terrible deception.


Seeing as I did the evil deed myself!  :-DD



I think I'll head past Akihabara tomorrow to buy some new Ni-MH C-cells to repack the battery.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline DC1MC

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1925
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134466 on: August 09, 2023, 04:20:50 pm »
What about Abholung, I actually live something like an hour away, I have a Deutschland-Ticket and not afraid to use it  :D. I'm getting requests for pick-up via PM, it will cost you some, but I'll get it for you and even clean it.
Assuming that is not a crook, I'm actually sending him a message.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Insists on paypal friends with funny reasoning: "The paypal account of his wife is overloaded." I don't belive you will get anything for your money.
:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:
 

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134467 on: August 09, 2023, 05:27:04 pm »
"Its alive Jim". Eh..
 
The following users thanked this post: m k

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134468 on: August 09, 2023, 05:28:18 pm »
Heh.. never underestimate the Power of the Deutsche Bahn!  :-+

What about Abholung, I actually live something like an hour away, I have a Deutschland-Ticket and not afraid to use it  :D. I'm getting requests for pick-up via PM, it will cost you some, but I'll get it for you and even clean it.
Assuming that is not a crook, I'm actually sending him a message.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Insists on paypal friends with funny reasoning: "The paypal account of his wife is overloaded." I don't belive you will get anything for your money.
:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:
 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3762
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134469 on: August 09, 2023, 08:20:20 pm »
Another TE arrival that I don't need, this was advertised as a voltmeter (the model plate was missing). As usual for the UK, it's a bit corroded from storage in damp environment, some of the vacuum bulbs are ex-vacuum bulbs as a result. At least the probe is still with it and the serial numbers match.







This one is earlier than the others I have, not seen the large trannystor in one of these before.



David
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 08:26:58 pm by factory »
 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, duckduck, m k

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4566
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134470 on: August 09, 2023, 09:03:12 pm »
I think I'll head past Akihabara tomorrow to buy some new Ni-MH C-cells to repack the battery.

Please make a YT video about it.
I am getting more and more interested about repacking batteries.
Every tool manufacturer uses a proprietary format so being able to repack them myself economically when they die, is of great value in the long term.
That would also allow me to buy cheap older used power tools, rather than brand new, with tired or dead batteries, and just repack them myself.

Please include details of what spor welder you use, how much it cost, specs, what brand model / model it is, where you got it etc.
And where to buy the new metal strips you will need to weld to the new cells.

I guess the biggest problem is.... how the heck does one know how to crack a given battery open to begin with, without damaging it ?!  :-//
Say you cut it open with  Dremel because you thought it was ultrasonic welded, then once open you see that it was designed to be opened non-destructively... bummer.

 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31975
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134471 on: August 09, 2023, 11:15:51 pm »
One of the best is kWeld Vince, by member tatus1969:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/guesses-on-what-i-am-attempting-here/

Nickel strip is readily available from many sources, just search for nickel strips for battery packs
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4086
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134472 on: August 09, 2023, 11:40:13 pm »
I'm gonna cheat and use cells that have tabs already welded on. :D

The THS700 battery pack is just a stick of 4 cells wrapped in heat shrink.
Most battery drill packs (even the cheap ones) are screwed together, so are often not too difficult to open up. I have a couple ebay spot welder PCB's here, but I've never got around to hooking them up. I should do that one day..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31975
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134473 on: August 10, 2023, 12:04:41 am »
I'm gonna cheat and use cells that have tabs already welded on. :D
That's my preferred MO also however very recently I wanted a couple pair of AAA NiMH cells and everywhere I looked they wanted a kidney for them !  |O

They also must now be caught in the current shipping batteries is bad BS  :horse:
Then believe it or not they can be found locally for cheaper than from most anywhere and in the pack I want anyway.  :phew:
 https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/rechargeable-battery-packs/1769368?gb=b
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline Carl_Smith

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 288
  • Country: us
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
Re: Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134474 on: August 10, 2023, 02:25:05 am »
Hi
Normally I leave these show-you-what-I-purchased type threads feeling depressed because it never happens to me.  Good used test equipment in my country is rare and because of that, usually way over priced. 

Ha.  That's how I feel every time I see Terra has bought yet another THS720 scope while I sit here in the US looking at eBay, where everything for less than $300 looks like it has been drug behind a truck or the BNC connectors were chewed on by an animal.


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->