Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 36033047 times)

_Wim_, Robert763 and 2338 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134475 on: August 10, 2023, 04:21:03 am »
Just to rub it in, I paid ¥15000 (just over USD$100), which includes the THS720A, wall-wart power supply, (dead) battery, serial cable and adapter set, two probes, and Japanese user manual, all in a soft carry case.  8)

It'll get a new battery and a CCFL-LED conversion in the display.

If you want to buy it, I can ship international. Practically all shipping restrictions are finished now. :)


I also have a THS720 in a case with new foam and a bunch of accessories with LED conversion and modded to accept standard C-cells.
And another THS720 that is currently getting a new LCD.


My good THS720P with all accessories (minus P5102 probes, I'm still searching for some. Found some in USA, but exchange rate makes the price insane) you can pry out of my cold, dead hands..  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline srb1954

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1205
  • Country: nz
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Re: Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134476 on: August 10, 2023, 07:29:26 am »
Hi
Normally I leave these show-you-what-I-purchased type threads feeling depressed because it never happens to me.  Good used test equipment in my country is rare and because of that, usually way over priced. 

Ha.  That's how I feel every time I see Terra has bought yet another THS720 scope while I sit here in the US looking at eBay, where everything for less than $300 looks like it has been drug behind a truck or the BNC connectors were chewed on by an animal.
And also to rub it there is a THS720A on the New Zealand auction site at the moment currently at NZ$45 or about US$27. This looks in good condition but is missing most accessories.

Such listings are quite rare in NZ and, like dazz1, I am also envious of the vastly larger range of test equipment available in overseas markets compared to our tiny local market. We can try and buy stuff off eBay but the cost of shipping from the US often triples or quadruples what otherwise would be an acceptable price.

Having said all that we very occasionally get some good deals here. I managed to pick up a very nice Tektronix TDS684B last week, complete with a P6245 probe and a whole lot of the normally ridiculously priced SureFoot adapters, all for under US$1000. Such deals only come along once in a decade on the tiny NZ market.
 

Online BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134477 on: August 10, 2023, 09:03:43 am »
tautech should sell more units in NZ, then the bargain market would be bigger too.

 8) ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31968
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134478 on: August 10, 2023, 09:15:38 am »
tautech should sell more units in NZ, then the bargain market would be bigger too.

 8) ;D
I do sell a few but Trademe fees are a damn ripoff so we need price higher to cover them.  :(
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/electronics-photography/other-electronics/other/listing/4267460736?bof=eJOfu3Gt
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134479 on: August 10, 2023, 12:02:11 pm »
One of the best is kWeld Vince, by member tatus1969:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/guesses-on-what-i-am-attempting-here/

1,000 Euros for a DIY thing ?! :wtf:
Kinda defeats the purpose of a DIY kit in the first place...
I do'nt even, understand why people want to a welder with electronics, how did they do it 50 years ago ?
I need to find a used old spot welder that doesn't use any electronics. Something simple an rugged, old school.

Nickel strip is readily available from many sources, just search for nickel strips for battery packs

Cool, good to know, one less problem  8)

I'm gonna cheat and use cells that have tabs already welded on. :D

Ah, didn't know that existed... but I don't understand how sellers of pre-welded packs can guess what configuration every battery pack under the sun might need. Sounds unrealistic an expectation  :-//
I guess many cordless tools use a similar layout, seeing as there battery has roughlt the same shape and dimension and output voltage... with some luck most of them use the same cell and strip configuration, and only the exterior shape and looks of the pack enclosure actually changes. That would be very cool indeed...


The THS700 battery pack is just a stick of 4 cells wrapped in heat shrink.
Most battery drill packs (even the cheap ones) are screwed together, so are often not too difficult to open up.

Oh that sounds good indeed  8)
I just checked the battery on my Bosh Pro drill, indeed it's held together with screws, yeah !!  :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:04:54 pm by Vince »
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Agilent HP 54645D 100 MHz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope and a 16 ch Logic Analyser
« Reply #134480 on: August 10, 2023, 04:38:14 pm »
And also to rub it there is a THS720A on the New Zealand auction site at the moment currently at NZ$45 or about US$27. This looks in good condition but is missing most accessories.

BUUUYYY IIITTTT!!!!!  ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134481 on: August 10, 2023, 05:00:03 pm »
Even if the bids get to 55,659 bucks ?  ;D
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134482 on: August 10, 2023, 05:02:08 pm »
Even if the bids get to 55,659 bucks ?  ;D

That's still only about €50...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 
The following users thanked this post: m k

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134483 on: August 10, 2023, 05:09:43 pm »
NZ bucks not Japanese bucks !  :-DD

Auction is in New Zealand...
 

Offline m k

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3489
  • Country: fi
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134484 on: August 10, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »
some of the vacuum bulbs are ex-vacuum bulbs as a result.

Has tube situation changed recently?
I remember that A><7 was special, but now I see them regularly with reasonable price.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Precision-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Schneider-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus work shop of the world unknowns)
 

Offline Vince

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4564
  • Country: fr
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134485 on: August 10, 2023, 05:51:11 pm »
That's because I sold all my old Tek scopes and flooded the market, as a result prices crashed, my bad sorry ! ;D

Nope, wasn't me...
 

Offline factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3756
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134486 on: August 10, 2023, 06:11:46 pm »
No idea, I looked up 1><2B a few weeks ago and determined that they were cheaper to buy in bulk from the USA, than buy locally.  :palm:

Will have to see what I have here first, apparently I bought a incomplete 428 from "07773" in 2016 (no transformer & various other bits missing, only one out of 11 bulbs missing) and 8 vacuum bulbs from "zhoefler" in 2015 (ex 428).

David
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134487 on: August 10, 2023, 08:02:11 pm »
For Germans that want a good scope at an acceptable price (IMHO, not affiliated in any way with the seller):

From TekWiki, we can read that a TDS5054-NV is a variant without the touch screen, which nobody should miss. But the significance of the designation TDS5054-NV-AV eludes me. On the TekScopes group there is a claim that it comes from a military contract, but no further info.
 

Offline AVGresponding

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5477
  • Country: england
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134488 on: August 10, 2023, 10:24:32 pm »
NZ bucks not Japanese bucks !  :-DD

Auction is in New Zealand...

That's the joke!    :P

Works for Canadianian kopecks too.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT
 

Offline DC1MC

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1925
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134489 on: August 11, 2023, 11:17:35 am »
For Germans that want a good scope at an acceptable price (IMHO, not affiliated in any way with the seller):

From TekWiki, we can read that a TDS5054-NV is a variant without the touch screen, which nobody should miss. But the significance of the designation TDS5054-NV-AV eludes me. On the TekScopes group there is a claim that it comes from a military contract, but no further info.

Well, the good man doesn't respond to messages that mention the word "Abholung" (pick-up), so most likely is something strange. Strangely enough, there is a person with this name in that village, I'm really curious, a hacked account or a very old person ?!?!?
Maybe you should try as well, I can go and pick it up if you allow me to play with it ;).

 Cheers,
 DC1MC
 

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134490 on: August 11, 2023, 12:03:05 pm »
If anyone buys that AWG520, hit me up. I know a few things to do to keep it running properly.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134491 on: August 11, 2023, 01:01:29 pm »
On at least 3 occaisions I have had Kleinanzeigen.de email me with "Account <foo> has been suspended due to suspicious activity <blabla>". So... not at all impossible that this might be a "compromised account" !

Wilko
 

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134492 on: August 11, 2023, 01:04:32 pm »
That is a nice clean unit! Alas... my ham shack is already overflowing with equipment 😬


Also, another beast for the Germanians ;), again, not affiliated in any way with the seller, if you can't do pickup, pay via the site secure payment with buyer protection:
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-awg520-2ch-1gss-arbitrary-waveform-generator/2517094036-168-1421



Cheers,
DC1MC
 

Offline RolandK

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134493 on: August 11, 2023, 02:12:45 pm »
That is a nice clean unit! Alas... my ham shack is already overflowing with equipment 😬


Also, another beast for the Germanians ;), again, not affiliated in any way with the seller, if you can't do pickup, pay via the site secure payment with buyer protection:

and here is the original:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/204334097159




Cheers,
DC1MC

don't worry, if you send your money to paypal friend's nirwana, nothing will clutter your shack.  :popcorn: :horse:

kleinanzeigen is actually a paradise for cheaters and offenders. :wtf:

What is to good to be true is not true. Only use paypal with shopping security or local pickup. No money transfer oder paypal friend's nirvana.
For the TDS5054 i just tried to send money with paypal shopping security. The offender send it back instantly and complained about overrunning paypal account.  :blah: :blah:
Another cheater ask to send an advance of € 50  :blah:  :blah: - jeah some pocket money for offspring hackers.

They use the human greed and the fear that someone else comes first, so that your brain stem takes over and cheats you into doing something you normally would not do.

So stay to your principles and listen to your gut feeling.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 02:28:59 pm by RolandK »
Why do old schaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.
 
The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2798
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134494 on: August 11, 2023, 02:26:45 pm »
Paypal accounts don't have a balance limit, so you can't have an "overloaded" Paypal account.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.
 

Offline RolandK

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134495 on: August 11, 2023, 02:29:44 pm »
of course not - it is just bla bla.
They don't want to have a case opened which may lead to a ban.
Why do old schaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.
 

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 521
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134496 on: August 11, 2023, 02:46:55 pm »
I replaced the NVRAM in my Tek scope.

The programmer I have (Xgecu T48) tries to program the chip too fast. It seems like the DS1225 can handle it, but not the 16W08. I had to modify the InfoIC2Plus.DLL file in a hex editor to make it programming happen slower. After that, I stopped getting errors during verification.

Anyways everything worked well when I plugged in the chip. Thanks TERRA!

 
The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, duckduck, m k, Fractal

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 521
  • Country: us
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134497 on: August 11, 2023, 03:30:11 pm »
Here’s some more cool Tek gear on ebay (again not affiliated but I did buy from them before)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134676505260

If I didn’t already have six oscilloscopes in my garage I would have gotten it since I can pick it up in person.

Edit: looks like the person doubled the price...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 02:05:20 am by EggertEnjoyer123 »
 
The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline TERRA Operative

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4084
  • Country: jp
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134498 on: August 11, 2023, 04:07:26 pm »
I replaced the NVRAM in my Tek scope.

The programmer I have (Xgecu T48) tries to program the chip too fast. It seems like the DS1225 can handle it, but not the 16W08. I had to modify the InfoIC2Plus.DLL file in a hex editor to make it programming happen slower. After that, I stopped getting errors during verification.

Anyways everything worked well when I plugged in the chip. Thanks TERRA!



Nice! Great to hear it worked. Now you'll never need to replace a battery in there again. :)

Did you program the FRAM as a DS1225Y or as a 16W08?
I didn't have a problem programming the FRAM as a 16W08 on my TL866II Plus that I remember.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/
 

Online BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #134499 on: August 11, 2023, 04:15:08 pm »
On at least 3 occaisions I have had Kleinanzeigen.de email me with "Account <foo> has been suspended due to suspicious activity <blabla>". So... not at all impossible that this might be a "compromised account" !

I do regularly report suspicious offers in Kleinanzeigen. Last case, an hour ago or so a Keithley DMM 6500 for 480 Euro.
The seller has used the same picture as for another ad a few days ago.
Reported it and the ad was gone within minutes.

There are from time to time other scam attempts, mostly with 34401A. Prices asked are around 200 Euro, often something like 234 or 227 Euro.
As soon as I spot such a price, I'm getting suspicious.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->