Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Even that link you mentioned shows that ferrites are not affected by the sort of temperatures you're using. My guess is that you are not reassembling them correctly. Even a tiny air gap will have a huge effect.
Test Equipment / Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Last post by mrisco on Today at 04:38:40 am »
Neat! Can you assign a button to toggle between views?

Maybe it is possible.
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 04:34:18 am »
If you want more space for waves, you can use full screen mode.  ;D

Neat! Can you assign a button to toggle between views?
Test Equipment / VESA mount for Rigol HDO4000 / DHO4000
« Last post by jwise on Today at 04:28:56 am »
Hi all,

On the suggestion (?) of this forum, I got myself a DHO4404.  I find that I'm in a bit of a crunch for desk space, so over the past few days, I modeled together a VESA mount for the back of it that attaches where the battery pack that Rigol couldn't be fucked to sell us would have gone.

I've attached some photos.  If you're in the Bambu universe you can download it from MakerWorld here: https://makerworld.com/en/models/444674

Or if you're in the Prusa universe, from Printables: https://www.printables.com/model/858885-rigol-dho4000-hdo4000-vesa-mount

Or if you want to mod it for yourself, here's the onshape link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bfa89435db8323d375fd32a1/w/511571cd0b08c31e0ffa8b79/e/48ab0b03f2c55600799ae151

I made it out of PETG and a bunch of M4 heat stake thread inserts.  Probably PETG is the right play because the tabs are relatively thin and you want as much layer adhesion as you can get around them.  But if you have an expensive 3D printer and an expensive scope, you can make a decision for yourself as to what kind of plastic you want holding your scope off your desk :-)

I have some other cheap-ass test equipment projects that I should get to writing up.  Some day...

Regards,
joshua
You could make an extra layer for a custom stencil.  Copy the paste layer and add cutouts around the componets that JLC will place so the stencil won't hit them.
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Transistor tester
« Last post by scorponog on Today at 04:25:38 am »
Howdy!
Can anyone recommend a transistor tester that would work for germanium transistor's?
I was looking at the DCA-75 but those seem to be out of stock everywhere. I have a multi unit that does a limited amount of testing now but would like to get a better unit.   
TIA
General Technical Chat / The strange case of phase angles
« Last post by ballsystemlord on Today at 04:21:58 am »
Hello,
I was doing some practice problems in my textbook and came upon a parallel RLC circuit. I calculated the phase angle using the impedance but my value differed from the answer key.

Puzzled, I tried obtaining it from the amperage and power vectors successfully. I tried reviewing my math, but can't figure out why my impedance vector doesn't yield the same result as the amperage and power ones. Which is correct? I thought I could try and build a circuit to test this, but the fact that this is a textbook circuit makes it unrealistic so I can't make one.

Attached are images of the problem, my calculator with results, and the answer key.

So, what's the correct phase angle? Why do the impedance and amperage/power vectors differ in their angles?

Thanks!
Thanks YouTube videos (mainly diodegonewild), I was convinced that modifying a ferrite transformer was easy. Just heat up the core to destroy the glue that holds the core together.

However, I have had many repair attempts where I had to separate the core of small power supplies to modify the windings. All of them have failed. And I always put the blame on something besides the transformer.

Not long ago, I began using a small flyback SMPS with its transformer taken away to test other flyback transformers. A simple idea. And that let me notice that taking apart the transformer killed it every time.

So, after that I performed an experiment. I sacrificed many flyback SMPS to unglue their cores through various methods (boiling, air, iron), and then test them again with to see which of them survive.

None of them survive.

So, simply heating the core until it can be separated, then putting it back together, without modifying anything else, makes the transformer useless. Even with the iron method, in which anything other than the core barely gets hot.
I did my test with small flyback SMPSs, in the range of a tiny 5W USB charger to a 90W CRT TV power supply.

I found a question on StackExchange which declares the same conclusion.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/497489/temperature-degradation-of-ferrite-cores

I had originally planned to modify an ATX supply to suit my needs by modifying the transformer this way. That's cancelled now.
One of the comments in that StackExchange question says that bigger power transformers don't suffer from this problem, but I'm not willing to test that out.

My iron method consists of making the core make contact with the soldering iron, and over the span of ~20 min., slowly raise the temperature to ~160°C.
The core may be ready to take apart way before that. The signal I take is a certain smell, which I assume is the glue giving up.

After I discovered all of this, I have made many transformer mods without taking the core apart, even though painfully and slowly, and all of them have been successful.

Customizing windings without opening the core
« Last post by mrisco on Today at 04:20:22 am »
Is it possible to remove the RIGOL logo in the top left corner to save some space ?

If you want more space for waves, you can use full screen mode.  ;D

2146219-0

I have taken a picture of the oscilloscope and not a capture so that you can see that it is not a clipping.
I've used a mosfet for a few similar circuits.

Do you really just need to drive reset low or do you need a pulse: high -> low -> high?

If you need a pulse, an RC delay and 2 mosfets can do it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next