Author Topic: Boeing 737 Max again, it would be nice if the windows stayed in!  (Read 31292 times)

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
Re: Boeing 737 Max again, it would be nice if the windows stayed in!
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2024, 08:55:34 pm »
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/congressman-sold-boeing-stock-hours-doj-probe-was-announced
Zerohedge?
I have a bridge in New York, which I want to sell. Are you interested in buying it from me?

No not "liberal" Zerohedge but "NBC news and NTSB" if you had done your homework and clicked the links in the text. :palm:
Happy now when we found your pacifier? Btw already forgot you bought that bridge from your friend Trump 20 years ago?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 08:59:18 pm by MT »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2024, 09:29:51 pm »
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/congressman-sold-boeing-stock-hours-doj-probe-was-announced
Zerohedge?
I have a bridge in New York, which I want to sell. Are you interested in buying it from me?

No not "liberal" Zerohedge but "NBC news and NTSB" if you had done your homework and clicked the links in the text. :palm:

If you wanted us to read other sources you should have linked to those sources.

Zerohedge is low a very low quality source.

Happy now when we found your pacifier? Btw already forgot you bought that bridge from your friend Trump 20 years ago?

Can you please explain what you mean by that, because I don't understand it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2024, 06:26:11 am »

No-one does, it's gibberish.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2024, 08:33:37 am »

No-one does, it's gibberish.

... and from that we can make inferences about other parts of his post(s).

But should we, and would they be accurate?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2024, 02:26:52 pm »
...aaand another one bites the dust:

Boeing chief executive Dave Calhoun to leave as firm faces safety crisis

Boeing boss Dave Calhoun will leave at the end of this year amid a deepening crisis over the firm's safety record.

The head of its commercial airlines division is retiring immediately too. Golden handshakes all round again I suspect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68656925
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:34:42 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2024, 02:56:50 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/business/boeing-ceo-steps-down.html

Stan Deal, the head of the division that makes planes for commercial customers, will retire immediately and will be replaced by Stephanie Pope, the company’s chief operating officer, the company said in a statement.

Ms. Pope has seen a relatively rapid ascent in recent years. In early 2022, she was promoted from her role as chief financial officer of the company’s commercial airplanes division to head of Boeing Global Services, which provides aftermarket support to customers. After a successful run there, she was promoted in December to chief operating officer of Boeing, a move that was seen as setting her up to take over for Mr. Calhoun in a few years.

So they replaced the head of the commercial airplane division, with the ex-CFO of said division. What could possibly go wrong.   :scared:

The following users thanked this post: tom66, Towger

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2024, 07:41:47 pm »
Lol, it keeps getting better! :-DD
Let's see how low they can sink.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2024, 09:04:08 pm »
Rats fleeing the sinking ship?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2024, 11:32:12 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/business/boeing-ceo-steps-down.html

Stan Deal, the head of the division that makes planes for commercial customers, will retire immediately and will be replaced by Stephanie Pope, the company’s chief operating officer, the company said in a statement.

Ms. Pope has seen a relatively rapid ascent in recent years. In early 2022, she was promoted from her role as chief financial officer of the company’s commercial airplanes division to head of Boeing Global Services, which provides aftermarket support to customers. After a successful run there, she was promoted in December to chief operating officer of Boeing, a move that was seen as setting her up to take over for Mr. Calhoun in a few years.

So they replaced the head of the commercial airplane division, with the ex-CFO of said division. What could possibly go wrong.   :scared:

One would think it wouldn't be too much to ask for an engineering company to have an engineer or two in the upper echelons of management, but it seems it is!
Engineers are not always stellar managers, but they usually do have a better grasp on the realities of the physical world.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2024, 11:36:56 pm »
They should change the company's name, isn't that what happens when some company needs to freshen up its image?

I suggest "Boing".

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2024, 02:35:26 am »
A revolving door door for execs and board members, and it will change nothing.
Imagine working there for a couple years, get the multi-million dollar golden parachute despite the failures. Boeing CEO paid 158x the average worker.
I suspect the DOJ/FBI criminal investigation has the rats worried a little. Better eliminate the whistle blower. Check.

The new CEO she's another B.Sc. bean-counter, like Calhoun. WTF does accounting have to do with safety-critical, top engineered products?

Anyone here remember the ladder manufacturing left inside the 787 tail? That was Spring 2019 and 5 years later SFA has changed. That's quality control lol.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2024, 03:08:41 am »
Damn, the only time I had the opportunity to fly with a 787 (and I was really looking forward to it at the time) was a few years ago, unfortunately it didn't happen as there was a last time "technical problem" with the plane and they had to get us another flight. Oh well.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2024, 08:41:19 pm »
Oh dear, another bit fallen off (737-800)...

Airline regulators in the US have begun an investigation after an engine cowling on a Boeing 737-800 fell off during take-off and struck a wing flap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68758088

It ought to be possible to design some sort of 'maintenance proof' latches or fasteners.

P.S.
I missed this one from a couple of days ago,  Boeing's payout to Alaska Air for the door plug...

Boeing has paid $160m (£126m) to Alaska Air to make up for losses the airline has suffered following a dramatic mid-air blowout in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68737292
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 08:48:57 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2024, 08:59:35 pm »
Oh dear, another bit fallen off (737-800)...

Airline regulators in the US have begun an investigation after an engine cowling on a Boeing 737-800 fell off during take-off and struck a wing flap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68758088

It ought to be possible to design some sort of 'maintenance proof' latches or fasteners.

the 737-800 has been flying for 30 years, almost 5000 produced, that wouldn't happen if it wasn't  a good plane

Airlines screwing up maintenance isn't necessarily on Boeing

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2024, 09:03:24 pm »
It's not like these things didn't happen way before. Or on other jets. It could be a human error, e.g. not closing the latches properly, pilots/techs not checking them during walkarounds, etc. Last-minute maintenance happens all the time.

That could be more on the airline instead of Boeing.

It's "just" that anything failing on a Boeing plane is now big news..

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2024, 01:51:34 am »
 :=\

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2024, 03:03:28 am »
"Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun, who announced last week he’ll step down later this year, received compensation last year currently worth $23.6 million..."
"... despite Boeing’s $2.2 billion loss in 2023...". No bonus I wonder why. source
Dennis Muilenburg, his predecessor, left with a $62 million payout. 346 dead and he's living' the life  :palm:

It's not like these things didn't happen way before. Or on other jets. It could be a human error, e.g. not closing the latches properly, pilots/techs not checking them during walkarounds, etc. Last-minute maintenance happens all the time.

Boeing fully deserves all the media coverage. They have worked hard to earn it. It's the only thing that puts any pressure towards change. What a strange feedback loop.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 03:13:01 am by floobydust »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2024, 02:30:36 pm »

Boeing fully deserves all the media coverage. They have worked hard to earn it. It's the only thing that puts any pressure towards change. What a strange feedback loop.

Don't get me wrong -- I rather step into an Airbus than a Boeing. When you compare the 737 vs A320 incident list, I'm pretty confident that the number of airplanes built doesn't offset its length.
Although Airbus also screwed up with their first demo flight of the A320, despite it being more contributed to pilot error rather than design error. Airbus like to tell people that their FBW protections makes for a plane you cannot crash. However, during the years it has also been shown that the fly-by-wire concept has (had) fundamental flaws.
The 737Max crashes were much worse than that, though, and a door falling out because its not bolted down is also very bad..

But at some point reason has to kick in IMO. The press is now posting every incident with a Boeing as breaking news, while this kept happening for many years, and before many were fine with it. At some point its also impossible to fault a manufacturer for everything. E.g. its hard to fault a car manufacturer for a bonnet flying open if you didn't close it properly.
Of course this means I'm speculating what happened with this jet. But there are many more people touching those parts a plane than Boeing, in particular close to take-off, so it could be anyone's fault.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:32:50 pm by hans »

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2024, 04:49:46 pm »
There is a saying for an empire’s decay, that I believe would also apply to large corporations;

“Empires aren’t vanished from an enemy’s sword, they are obliterated from self-inflicted wounds.”
Or words to the effect. It has been a long time since I read it.

There were several US companies, IBM, GM, GE, Kodak and others, that so thoroughly dominated a particular business, that it was beyond inconceivable to even think about its downfall. Boeing was such a company in the commercial aircraft business. It is still a behemoth, don’t get me wrong. But is no longer the undisputed leader.
"A great civilization is not conquered from without, until it has destroyed itself from within."

This is a quote from Anthony Mann's 1964 film, 'The Fall of the Roman Empire'.

I believe this and I have said it many times. Empires are destroyed and fall from within.

A rising empire, be it a country or a corporation, is willing and eager to take on the competition believing it can prevail.

An empire in decline tries to avoid the open competition and resorts to protectionism, dirty tricks, etc. When you see a country or corporation doing this you know they are in decline.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2024, 07:39:37 pm »
They should change the company's name, isn't that what happens when some company needs to freshen up its image?

I suggest "Boing".
Or, maybe, "Boeing Boeing"

2106740-0
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: April 10, 2024, 10:51:38 am »
Another whistleblower, just to give you that warm fuzzy feeling if your flying in a 777 or 787. It knocked 2% off the share price yesterday, more than I would have expected - the market must be getting jumpy at the mention these days...

Boeing hit after new whistleblower raises safety concerns
Boeing is facing new pressure after a whistleblower reported safety concerns over the manufacturing of some of its planes to US regulators.
Engineer Sam Salehpour accused Boeing of taking shortcuts in the construction of its 787 and 777 jets.
He claimed he was "threatened with termination" after raising concerns with bosses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68775413
Best Regards, Chris

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: April 10, 2024, 03:44:59 pm »
I would wait to see the whistleblowers data before reacting to strongly.  Anyone who has worked ina large organization has encountered the chicken littles who are sure the sky is falling. This guy may have a real issue, or it may be nothing.Just because Boing has lost its right to be presumed correct, the perfect credibility of everyone else cannot be presumed.

The following users thanked this post: langwadt

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2024, 06:42:00 pm »
I would wait to see the whistleblowers data
Id wait to see if they  commit suicide just before they're due to give evidence.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2024, 06:44:42 pm »
I would wait to see the whistleblowers data
Id wait to see if they  commit suicide just before they're due to give evidence.

That would be data.   But sounds like you already know the answer and don't need data

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2024, 08:23:28 pm »
At this point, I don't know how Boeing is going to get out of this mess. Appointing a new CEO every couple years (while giving millions to the former one for all the "good" they did to Boeing) is soon going to show its limits to solve the issues.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf