Author Topic: Tariffs  (Read 377324 times)

0 Members and 68 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MarginallyStable

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Country: us
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2950 on: March 05, 2026, 07:25:24 pm »
And instead of "America First" this time it appears to be "Israel First". Seems like Mossad found some nasty things about the stable genius. The three USAF jets shot down by Katar alone represent a value of US$ 10E8 or more. And currently it seems like tariffs paid have to be paid back by the government..

Regards, Dieter

You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information". So much TDS in this thread
 

Online KE5FX

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2638
  • Country: us
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2951 on: March 05, 2026, 07:54:38 pm »
You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information".

I assume he meant US$ 1E8, or $100,000,000, which sounds about right.

"10Esomething" is a pet peeve of mine as well.  No one who has ever picked up a pocket calculator should make a mistake like that.

Quote
So much TDS in this thread

If you're not deranged, you're not paying attention.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Cyclotron

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2236
  • Country: us
  • *POOF*
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2952 on: March 05, 2026, 08:00:56 pm »
And instead of "America First" this time it appears to be "Israel First". Seems like Mossad found some nasty things about the stable genius. The three USAF jets shot down by Katar alone represent a value of US$ 10E8 or more. And currently it seems like tariffs paid have to be paid back by the government..

Regards, Dieter

You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information". So much TDS in this thread

I think the latest term I've been appreciative of is "mud slinging," but I also agree that, at least, the intent of the moniker "TDS" seems to describe an unreasonable, illogical, and possibly angry reaction to anything related to Donald Trump.

I have no idea what dieter1 is intending. They seem to have inaccurately said that Qatar shot down 3 jets and, as you say, wildly misstated the cost of those aircraft. I had to look up the "stable genius" comment, but it seems related to something Trump called himself, so your mention of TDS may be accurate.

 

Offline dietert1

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3007
  • Country: br
    • CADT Homepage
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2953 on: March 05, 2026, 08:04:08 pm »
And instead of "America First" this time it appears to be "Israel First". Seems like Mossad found some nasty things about the stable genius. The three USAF jets shot down by Katar alone represent a value of US$ 10E8 or more. And currently it seems like tariffs paid have to be paid back by the government..

Regards, Dieter

You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information". So much TDS in this thread
I did not look up the cost before but as far as i remember any modern fighter jets costs about US$ 10E8 and three of them is more than that.
According to the USAF fact sheet the F15 price is 31.1 Million US$ of 1998, maybe a factor two higher in todays US$. So the statement "more than US$ 10E8" for three jets was certainly correct.
It's just a mess.
Nobody wants to discuss the tariff pay back?

Regards, Dieter
 

Online Cyclotron

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2236
  • Country: us
  • *POOF*
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2954 on: March 05, 2026, 08:11:21 pm »
You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information".

I assume he meant US$ 1E8, or $100,000,000, which sounds about right.

"10Esomething" is a pet peeve of mine as well.  No one who has ever picked up a pocket calculator should make a mistake like that.

Quote
So much TDS in this thread

If you're not deranged, you're not paying attention.

I certainly get ticked with Trump's boorish and childish comments, narcissism, and so on. I really disliked the last president, too. We have one that portrays US as an angry 12-year-old, and another that looks like "A Weekend at Bernie's." With one pushing the button for stampy foot vs the other pushing it because he wants tapioca ice cream.

As for the notation, I've got friends with master's degrees and one with a doctorate in Math, and they often use this notation out of habit. When I see it in common use, it seems to be an indication that the person is projecting instead of speaking plainly.  It is often error-prone, as has been illustrated here. Where common language of about 300mill USD or probably closer to 270M is what commoners are going to use and be familiar with. 10E# is so easy to get wrong by orders of magnitude if not well considered.
 

Online Cyclotron

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2236
  • Country: us
  • *POOF*
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2955 on: March 05, 2026, 08:15:49 pm »
And instead of "America First" this time it appears to be "Israel First". Seems like Mossad found some nasty things about the stable genius. The three USAF jets shot down by Katar alone represent a value of US$ 10E8 or more. And currently it seems like tariffs paid have to be paid back by the government..

Regards, Dieter

You can lookup how much an F15 costs, so I assume you are intentionally trying to spread "mis-information". So much TDS in this thread
I did not look up the cost before but as far as i remember any modern fighter jets costs about US$ 10E8 and three of them is more than that.
According to the USAF fact sheet the F15 price is 31.1 Million US$ of 1998, maybe a factor two higher in todays US$. So the statement "more than US$ 10E8" for three jets was certainly correct.
It's just a mess.
Nobody wants to discuss the tariff pay back?

Regards, Dieter

Did you really see that Qatar/Katar shot down 3 USAF jets? An F15 is approximately 90-95M USD each. The ones I know that were shot down were shot down by mistake by Kuwait, not Qatar. If both Kuwait and Qatar have each shot down 3 jets, that's an amazing coincidence.

I posted about the tariffs payback earlier. The court has at least found that one claimant will be paid back, and I questioned whether the end users will get anything, or if this will just make the companies wealthier.   

As you didn't seem to engage with that prior post, but made comments about the loss of fighters that didn't make sense. I assumed you didn't really want to talk about the tariff payback.
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9811
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2956 on: March 06, 2026, 10:12:08 pm »
I see the court has found in favor of refunds. At least in the case of the company(s) that filed grievances. I'm unclear if the court has ordered a direct refund of all tariffs to all companies, even if they haven't filed claims.

All 330,000 importers who follow the future refund process: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/mar/06/us-judge-lawyers-175bn-trump-tariffs-refunds

Quote
I imagine this will be a windfall for these companies, as I doubt they will refund their customers for their portion of the tariffs.

Oh we won't see a cent of those refunds as consumers. Money literally siphoned from your pocket into big businesses.

A good chunk of it will also go to the people that orchestrated them in the first place (via insider trading and direct buyout of tariffs): https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-secretary-silent-sons-poised-213852683.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 
The following users thanked this post: TUMEMBER

Online Cyclotron

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2236
  • Country: us
  • *POOF*
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2957 on: March 06, 2026, 10:18:47 pm »
I see the court has found in favor of refunds. At least in the case of the company(s) that filed grievances. I'm unclear if the court has ordered a direct refund of all tariffs to all companies, even if they haven't filed claims.

All 330,000 importers who follow the future refund process: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/mar/06/us-judge-lawyers-175bn-trump-tariffs-refunds

Quote
I imagine this will be a windfall for these companies, as I doubt they will refund their customers for their portion of the tariffs.

Oh we won't see a cent of those refunds as consumers. Money literally siphoned from your pocket into big businesses.

A good chunk of it will also go to the people that orchestrated them in the first place (via insider trading and direct buyout of tariffs): https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-secretary-silent-sons-poised-213852683.html

Figures. BOHICA!
The fact that government people get to stay out of prison for insider trading is so blatantly a problem, and no one in politics is interested in "fixing" that.
It's like the US Congress just voted in a huge bipartisan way to kill an effort to release all congressional sexual misconduct and harassment reports
 

Offline TimFox

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11932
  • Country: us
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2958 on: March 06, 2026, 10:49:50 pm »
"No man shall be a judge in his own case." -- Blackwell  Commentaries on the Laws of England  1765-1769.
It sounds better in Latin:  Nemo iudex in causa sua
 

Offline soldar

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4035
  • Country: es
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2959 on: March 10, 2026, 03:46:36 pm »
Transliteration difference from Arabic.

"Q" is standard in English, but "K" is standard in German.

Spanish also tends to avoid the q in Arabic names so writes "Irak" instead of "Iraq".

I still write the names with q though, even in Spanish, because I think they look more "authentic". But it is not correct in Spanish.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.
 

Offline u666sa

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 893
  • Country: us
  • Miami, FL
    • Codernov Electronics Repair
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2960 on: May 19, 2026, 02:32:15 am »
Well time to update. 1 year+ have gone by. Let me remind you -- Miami, Fla.

Basically, aliexpress ordering is back. No problems with tariffs and stuff. For example:

Summary
Subtotal
$13.30

Saved
Max discounts & coupon codes auto-applied
-$0.15
Promo codes
Escribe el código aquí
Shipping fee
Free
Additional charges

$0.92
Total
$14.07

Additional charges appear to be sales tax.


However, when I go to places like DigiKey, I do get tariffs, for example:

Subtotal
$25.99
Tariff
$2.25
Shipping
$6.99
Sales Tax
$1.98
Total
$37.21

Another recent order. $2.25 tariff on a freaking USB3.0 type-A connector.


So 1 year after it all began, China is unaffected, locals seem to be affected.  :-/O
 

Offline EEVblog

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 42257
  • Country: au
    • EEVblog
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2961 on: May 24, 2026, 05:12:45 am »
So I'm confused.
The tariff is now a "10% Temporary Import Surcharge" for Australian Imports?

https://export.business.gov.au/pricing-costs-and-finance/tariffs-taxes-and-duties/us-tariff-rates-and-exemptions
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12606
  • Country: au
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2962 on: May 24, 2026, 06:16:41 am »
So I'm confused.

I have a thought on your confusion....

You are trying to see the logic of it.    :-//
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31970
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2963 on: May 24, 2026, 07:10:59 am »
So I'm confused.
The tariff is now a "10% Temporary Import Surcharge" for Australian Imports?

Weasel words to put the WTO off the Orange man's scent.

An import surcharge is still a tariff by another name.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Offline u666sa

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 893
  • Country: us
  • Miami, FL
    • Codernov Electronics Repair
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2964 on: May 24, 2026, 04:56:44 pm »

Quote from: Brumby on Today at 02:16:41 am
the logic of it


TBTH to even begin to comprehend the logic of current happenings one has to go 11 to 14 centuries back in time to the volga-don region. But in super-short and in "the now" chewed up version for normal folks, tariffs, the straight of hormuz blockade, and ukraine situation are intricately related subjects. Iran is a detonator that launches oil prices sky high, much higher than what they are now, in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 per barrel. These are not my words by the way, a political strategist Vladimir Zhirinovsky said this https://www.instagram.com/reel/DVTEcCziA0g/ at that 14 years ago. With this one blow China and Europe are taken care of, economically destroyed. Russia is weakened by influx of migrants, which naturally move to the north from Iran, alas Russia closes borders, conflict begins in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, southern doorstep of Russia. In one of his later videos Zhirinovsky named the date https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fUZhdhj-I3c beginning of 2027. Which fits perfectly with current situation, as present situation suggest it's not over, more escalation is going to happen. Idea is simple, Iran wipes out oil and gas infrastructure, United States causes massive damage to Iran and launches migrant crisis. What this means is that what we have seen so far, is nothing compared to what's to come. Massive regional war is about to happen with the use of nuclear weapons, all pieces are in place. End result is complete rewrite of the world stage, who controls access to energy. The new world order. There will be two players after this, Russia with its multi-polar world and developing countries, and United States. Other two players, Europe and China will be reduced similar to how Soviet Union was reduced in 1991. You want to circumvent sanctions and buy oil and gas from Russia? Well you won't be able to do business with United States without paying. Tariffs are a control mechanism for the world trade past this WW3 localized, contained, regional scenario. Ukraine is simply another situation, similar to Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, but instead it is instability in western doorstep of Russia and source of economic sanctions, barrier so to say, a wall separating Russian and European economies, a localized situation that is preventing Europe from purchasing energy directly from Russia while this other crisis are ripening and are about to bloom.

Cuba will go soon too, probably before this big war. Cuba is Russian plazdarm in the Caribbean. Others are Venezuela gone, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Brazil.  :-//

Without energy and trade there is no economy. That who controls energy and trade controls the world.

 

Online Cyclotron

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2236
  • Country: us
  • *POOF*
Re: Tariffs
« Reply #2965 on: May 24, 2026, 05:55:55 pm »
So I'm confused.
The tariff is now a "10% Temporary Import Surcharge" for Australian Imports?

https://export.business.gov.au/pricing-costs-and-finance/tariffs-taxes-and-duties/us-tariff-rates-and-exemptions

Instead of raising income taxes on US citizens, the government is raising taxes through these duties and charges. The net impact is probably the same. The US consumer has less money to spend on products. There's a famous historical event in the US with taxes on tea or something.

 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->