Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 4869471 times)

0 Members and 616 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BennoG

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 381
  • Country: nl
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14450 on: May 07, 2026, 05:49:05 am »
over wifi
There are plenty of displays and devices with this kind of display available for sale, so you can find a suitable one. But it matters to me because I don’t like “hacky” solutions. IMHO, having a radio module inside a precision instrument isn’t the best idea.
Yes for now it is only going to USB and ethernet on the back side of the k2001. Will be a long term project but the replacement display's are rare (K7001 comes to mind but they ask even $200 for them) and you dont know if the display is worn out.

 

Offline bat

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 79
  • Country: fr
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14451 on: May 12, 2026, 02:30:14 pm »
Bought an Adret 7200A generator with option 06
10Hz to 1.3GHz, I've always wanted to have one. It will stay alongside my 103A and 7100D.
I traded it for a bunch of other instruments.

Unfortunately it doesn't boot, seems to be the main voltage sector filter, smells like RIFA caps haha!
It's a rare unit!
 
The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline djsb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1122
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14452 on: May 15, 2026, 02:42:54 pm »
Bought a HP Prime G2 calculator. Still got an TI Nspire CAS (version 1) and an old TI 85 but can get along with the trackpad/pointer on the Nspire and the battery runs down with the calculator turned off. Thought I'd try the HP as it should be faster and have better battery life and I read the PPL programming is better. I'm mainly interested in the python capability as well. Thanks.
David
Hertfordshire, UK
Retired University Electronics Technician, London, PIC16/18, CCS PCM C, Arduino UNO, NANO,ESP32, KiCad V10+, Altium Designer 21.4.1, Alibre Design Expert 28 & FreeCAD beginner. LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Credited KiCad French to English translator.
 

Offline Zoli

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 799
  • Country: ca
  • Grumpy old men
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14453 on: May 16, 2026, 08:27:51 pm »
Open box(7pcs) of 3.5" DD floppy disks for $2.10CAD:
 

Offline JimKnopf

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 357
  • Country: 00
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14454 on: May 16, 2026, 08:30:39 pm »
@Zoli 3D printed "Save" symbols?
 
The following users thanked this post: abeyer

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14455 on: May 16, 2026, 08:40:23 pm »
bought a Marconi Adret 4101A 15-200 kHz frequency standard receiver at a ham rally.

Essentially an OCXO dsciplined against a VLF time standard transmitter. Had to clean out the old NiCd batteries that had long ago dumped their electrolyte on the mainboard but for the rest it is very clean for a 1990 unit. I am using it with DCF77 at 77.5 kHz for now, as it came with a nice Meinberg DCF77 outdoor antenna,

*** Please PM me if you happen to have docs on this model, sofar I only found a spec sheet by Adret.

Wilko
 
The following users thanked this post: bat

Offline Zoli

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 799
  • Country: ca
  • Grumpy old men
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14456 on: May 16, 2026, 08:44:51 pm »
@Zoli 3D printed "Save" symbols?
I wish to have a printer which prints plastic, brass, aluminum and steel in the same work piece... :-DD
 

Online tom66

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8849
  • Country: gb
  • Professional HW / FPGA / Embedded Engr. & Hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14457 on: May 16, 2026, 09:35:22 pm »
I spent about £500 on a suit and nice shoes.  It's something that I've needed for some time and certain personal events necessitate it... I am not much of a "formalwear" guy but I can see how it can make things better sometimes.  The question is... will it get any use outside of weddings and funerals?  I guess I might wear it to a job interview, but I'm not planning to interview any time soon.
 

Offline deadlylover

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: au
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14458 on: May 18, 2026, 06:39:53 am »
Those Japanese electronic dictionaries I ordered came in.

Unbelievable LCD on that Seiko to the right, it is biased/tuned(?) to be extremely reflective for light sources above it, I've never seen one like it, you can see it compared to a standard LCD on the left. There is no backlight that's just the ambient lighting! I swear it's brighter and has better contrast than the modern e-ink display on my Kobo ereader.

I now understand why there are Seiko dictionary "fanboys", their keyboards are a lot better it has chiclet style keys like on a laptop. Oh man I'm gonna have to collect their whole range aren't I....(with parts spares too haha)

On the more modern Casio/Sharp they use this weird diving board mechanism so you have to press on the bottom of the key, really annoying lol. Unlike the Seiko you have to whip out the stylus or use the touch screen to highlight a word to do a quick jump lookup, the Seiko has a "jump" key that reveals a cursor so you can just use the fantastic keyboard to navigate.
 

Offline exe

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3027
  • Country: nl
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14459 on: May 18, 2026, 12:27:10 pm »
I went to Digit in Osaka and bought those:

- LM3999Z (didn't know it exists), 4euro/piece. It's a small cousin of LM399 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/lm3999/
- LM320 in metal can (negative regulator)
- LM336 (shunt voltage reference)
- TL431C clone from "HTC Korea"
- TL2426 (rail splitter)
- 2N5089 (super-beta npn)
- J111 (jfet, but with "large" current)
- a bunch of less rare jfets, mosfets and transistors, a few leds, a neon lamp, and a small incandescent lamp.
 

Offline gamalot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14460 on: May 18, 2026, 03:55:15 pm »
Just picked up a Tek DPO4104, Ch2 and Ch3 fail self-test and just output garbage waveforms. Sounds like dead ADC or the typical BGA solder fatigue. Still not a bad deal to use as a 2-channel scope.

I'm a poet, I didn't even know it. |  https://youtube.com/@gamalot | https://github.com/gamalot
 

Offline Vertamps

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Country: us
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14461 on: May 21, 2026, 10:18:44 pm »
To good to be true turned out to be true! They had it listed at $250 and had zero history buying or selling on ebay. Offered it to me less after i said its an obvious scam and after they changed the listing to $500(after a few back and forth messages). So being purchases are generally protected i purchased it. Only gripe it was shipped in its factory foam i think and was kinda loose but it survived. I honestly thought the box (iv gotten a letter as a package scam before) was gonna be empty.
 

Offline macboy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2410
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14462 on: May 22, 2026, 06:40:29 pm »
I found this while thrifting today: An HP-35 in really nice condition, with original AC power adapter. Pictured showing Pi/1000 just to light up some digits. Seems to work perfectly; keys have that beautiful distinct HP calculator clicky feeling, not sticky at all. I am not a collector, but I couldn't pass it up, especially as I paid only $5.99 Canuck bucks. I think it's worth something quite more than that. I love the bubble LED display, but a one-line display for a RPN calculator with a stack is cumbersome to say the least.
 

Offline richnormand

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 775
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14463 on: May 22, 2026, 09:19:56 pm »
To good to be true turned out to be true! They had it listed at $250 and had zero history buying or selling on ebay. Offered it to me less after i said its an obvious scam and after they changed the listing to $500(after a few back and forth messages). So being purchases are generally protected i purchased it. Only gripe it was shipped in its factory foam i think and was kinda loose but it survived. I honestly thought the box (iv gotten a letter as a package scam before) was gonna be empty.

Hope you left a good feedback!
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate
 

Offline JimKnopf

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 357
  • Country: 00
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14464 on: May 23, 2026, 06:18:16 pm »
Today I received my YH.801 capacitor discharger and the FNIRSI C2.

I'm not fully satisfied with the C2 though. Unlike the FNIRSI C1, which I've been using on my bench for quite some time, the C2 no longer includes Bluetooth support.

The C2 definitely has some advantages:

* slightly larger display
* support for more charging protocols
* useful USB cable detection

However, for my particular use case, the missing Bluetooth functionality is a major downside.

When testing and repairing devices, I often use OBS with an instrument overlay for screenshots and documentation. I had Claude Code create a custom overlay for me.
Most of my instruments are connected via LAN, while the FNIRSI C1 sends its measurements over Bluetooth.
That setup allows me to display all important values directly on screen and document everything properly. That's exactly why the BT feature was so useful to me.

I don't understand why FNIRSI decided to remove Bluetooth support from the C2.
 

Offline Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7933
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14465 on: May 23, 2026, 08:41:14 pm »
Bought an Adret 7200A generator with option 06
10Hz to 1.3GHz, I've always wanted to have one. It will stay alongside my 103A and 7100D.
I traded it for a bunch of other instruments.

Unfortunately it doesn't boot, seems to be the main voltage sector filter, smells like RIFA caps haha!
It's a rare unit!

That is what i call a proper instrument. I've got a couple which i am going to take to my grave with me.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Offline Mortymore

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 484
  • Country: pt
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14466 on: May 28, 2026, 11:44:03 pm »
Bought a couple of Wera sets:
Wera 2025 Christmas Calendar, 28 Pieces
Wera Kraftform Micro Special Edition 1 6-Piece Screwdriver Set


 
The following users thanked this post: bookaboo, HighVoltage

Offline w9gb

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 45
  • Country: us
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14467 on: June 01, 2026, 01:03:02 am »
I upgraded my HP/Agilent/Symmetricom GPSDO 58503B without Clock Display in early 2024,
with the Synergy SSR GPS Receiver Replacement (uses newer uBlox GPS receiver with Oncore conversion).
https://synergy-gps.com/synergy-products/ssr-series-ut-vp-single-board-replacement/

I had sent my 58503B to Art Sepin at Synergy to assure all the Symmetricom and Oncore receiver messages
were being properly captured and interpreted/converted by the new SSR GPS Receiver board.

Rock Solid operation for over two years with no Week Rollover issues.

• Designed for Navigation and timing applications
• Motorola binary message emulation at 9600 baud for backward compatibility
with legacy Motorola 6 and 8 channel VP and 8 channel UT+ and GT+ receivers.
• 12 channels included for updated UT+ legacy products
• Super-Fast TTFF and State-of-the-Art Sensitivity
• More satellites tracked than receivers being replaced
• Better ADEV performance in legacy timing instruments
• Drop-In to most VP, GT+ and UT+ GPS receiver slots Without the need for user intervention
• *No Receiver 1024 Week Roll-Overs!

Synergy SSR Data Sheet (January 12, 2026)
https://synergy-gps.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/SSR-M8TL-VP-Drop-In-TN-502-Pgs-1-2-010226.pdf

greg, w9gb
 

Offline 6h8c

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 14
  • Country: pl
  • Analog system
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14468 on: June 01, 2026, 03:43:20 pm »
Nowy zakup: HEATHKIT CR-9502
Don't tell my wife how much this fun costs ... I want to live to build.
 

Offline porter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 98
  • Country: us
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14469 on: June 02, 2026, 08:40:25 pm »
I bought the Peak Atlas DCA75Pro from Digikey.
 
The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline exe

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3027
  • Country: nl
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14470 on: June 03, 2026, 12:11:48 pm »
Two resistors from @derZockerMP, 10 ohm and 10K. The latter came with a temperature sweep data showing average tempco 0.24ppm/K in range 18..28C (measured at 18, 23 and 28C). Can't wait to measure them with my DMM7510.
 

Offline gamalot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14471 on: June 06, 2026, 10:42:50 am »
Pulled the trigger on a Siglent SDG1022X Plus on Taobao, all in with shipping, payment charges, and GST it was around AUD 480.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2026, 11:56:35 am by gamalot »
I'm a poet, I didn't even know it. |  https://youtube.com/@gamalot | https://github.com/gamalot
 

Offline Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7933
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14472 on: June 06, 2026, 05:47:06 pm »
Did not buy but found on the city's lawn, a 10 A/h power bank. Tested and measured 9.5 A/h capacity  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Offline apetersw

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 7
  • Country: de
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14473 on: June 09, 2026, 07:56:41 am »
After finally getting fed up with the finicky Hti-301 Thermal Imager and its accompanying crummy software I got a Guide E4S as a replacement.

Bit expensive, but otherwise a nice, robust instrument that just works out of the box.

Hi, I am looking for a thermal camera for PCB debugging and design. Did u buy the macro lense with the E4S? And how about not having a manual focus.
Mind sharing your experience with this device?
 

Offline Albert7283

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: sg
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14474 on: June 09, 2026, 08:29:41 am »
Got myself an RXN-303D power supply, gonna run some tests on it soon.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->