Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 4866647 times)

0 Members and 352 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline deadlylover

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 369
  • Country: au
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14475 on: June 09, 2026, 09:21:53 am »
42kWh solar battery system installed just as the sun came down (AUD9000 or USD6400, payback is about 4-5 years with our usage, very comfortable within the 10y warranty). Factory SoC about 50% that's worth $7 woohoo.  :P

Oh now I have guilt-free CRT monitor usage, or I can do long term experiments like li-ion cycle tests. It was too wasteful having test equipment on overnight.
 

Offline bsw_m

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 302
  • Country: by
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14476 on: June 12, 2026, 09:14:53 pm »
New Old Stock 100MOhm standard resistor with zero alpha/beta coefficients.
 
The following users thanked this post: MathWizard, d-el

Offline gamalot

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1937
  • Country: au
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14477 on: June 14, 2026, 11:23:06 pm »
Pulled the trigger on a Siglent SDG1022X Plus on Taobao, all in with shipping, payment charges, and GST it was around AUD 480.

Delivered this morning.  :-+
I'm a poet, I didn't even know it. |  https://youtube.com/@gamalot | https://github.com/gamalot
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline JimKnopf

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 357
  • Country: 00
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14478 on: June 24, 2026, 08:37:42 pm »
Today one more Kickstarter project arrived. A Crysound Acoustic Camera. Nice device. A 64 microphone array Camera that let you spot the source of a sound, it's loudness and frequency.

The only downside, i'm a linux user and not only my PC but also my phone runs on linux (SailfishOS). There is only an Android and Apple App available. I can run some Android Apps on my SailfishOS phone. But it's limited if you need additional hardware access to BT/Wifi. The Android App did not start on my phone.
I had to write a python App to use the device native in my lab environment. Works pretty well. I did some calibrations with a SDG6022X and a speaker. Very accurate. I love it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2026, 11:30:43 am by JimKnopf »
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Zucca, Mortymore, Martin72, Renate

Online Renate

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1749
  • Country: de
    • Renate's Android Page
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14479 on: June 25, 2026, 02:11:35 am »
That sounds interesting.
Have you tried it on crickets in a field?
How about bats?
 

Offline JimKnopf

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 357
  • Country: 00
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14480 on: June 25, 2026, 10:38:53 am »
@Renate Not tested yet. But a nice idea came up when i read your post. I added geo tagging and a OSM map in my SailfishOS phone app. Now, if i find a cricket in a field, or something else interesting, i can remember where i found it. The camera itself seems to have no GPS inside (didn't open it). But the json file i found on the http server inside has data fields for geo-coordinates.

I can't remote control the camera or get a live stream. But i can combine the image data laying on the http server (x_1.jpg color image, x_0.jpg sound overlay with magic number as png instead of jpg, .doa, .wav .json and dateTime). Now, i can add geo-coordinate and OSM from the phone during assembling. So very limited functionallity in my App, but ok for my use case.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2026, 11:29:58 am by JimKnopf »
 

Offline MathWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2534
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14481 on: June 27, 2026, 06:31:52 am »
New Old Stock 100MOhm standard resistor with zero alpha/beta coefficients.
Wow that makes my 100Mohm 1/4 W 1% resistors seem lame. I can't remember the tempco, nothing special I guess.

I ordered 3 things from amazon for maybe ~$200US, one of which is a new Guitar FX processor, Mooer GE150pro, and they somehow sent me a duplicate order as well in another box, so 2 of each. So far I can't get the AI chat to think this matters any, or that I have to do anything. I can't find 'received duplicate orders' in the help section either. I tried to contact the seller, but it says amazon handles it, and then lead me back to the same AI chat.

Anyone have that happen before? I figured they'd send me a return shipping label, and maybe some store credit for my troubles and honesty.
 
The following users thanked this post: bsw_m

Offline MathWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2534
  • Country: ca
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14482 on: June 27, 2026, 06:55:17 am »
Today one more Kickstarter project arrived. A Crysound Acoustic Camera. Nice device. A 64 microphone array Camera that let you spot the source of a sound, it's loudness and frequency.

The only downside, i'm a linux user and not only my PC but also my phone runs on linux (SailfishOS). There is only an Android and Apple App available. I can run some Android Apps on my SailfishOS phone. But it's limited if you need additional hardware access to BT/Wifi. The Android App did not start on my phone.
I had to write a python App to use the device native in my lab environment. Works pretty well. I did some calibrations with a SDG6022X and a speaker. Very accurate. I love it.
So can you point it at say a computer and find a buzzing cap or inductor ??
 

Offline bsw_m

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 302
  • Country: by
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14483 on: June 29, 2026, 12:06:25 pm »
The ADCMT7470 multimeter arrived.
I bought it out of curiosity to see what it was.

I can preliminarily say that the internal design is 100% identical to the ADCMT7480T multimeter, a review of which is available here on the forum.
 

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14484 on: July 02, 2026, 04:25:06 pm »
...collected this morning a Peak Atlas ESR70 Gold - somewhat adventurously, via a long cycle ride (with a few hills walked):

Moscar, Bamford, Bradwell, Tideswell, Millers' Dale, Buxton, w3w digital.beep.copying - Ashford in-the-Water, Baslow, Totley

Back just in time to accept a CPC delivery - order, except for some 10k log pots and 500 ohm trimmers, made up to get free delivery - went for some op-amps, logic chips, breadboard power supply, Arduino compatible data logging shield, voltage regulators, 16-pin sockets, IR leds.

p.s. - the 2-channel power module for breadboards 3.3V/5V only fits breadboard's horizontal rows, not the typical power supply which connects the columns. i.e. these dimensions are slightly different - the horizontal distance being about a mm or so longer.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2026, 08:18:09 am by armandine2 »
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 

Online jonpaul

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3979
  • Country: fr
  • Analog, magnetics, Pwr high voltage, Audio, Cinema
    • IEEE Spectrum
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14485 on: July 03, 2026, 07:04:07 am »
For my Paris lab: Bargin  LIDL: EU 7.99! (reg pr EU 13.99)

40W solder station (Parkside brand) Uncalibrated temp control....

works OK, incl. 2  LF solder rolls and extra tip.

Jon
The Internet Dinosaur..
passionate about analog electronics since 1950s
 

Online Renate

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1749
  • Country: de
    • Renate's Android Page
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14486 on: July 03, 2026, 11:59:42 am »
Lidl also had a triple of solder sucker, flush cutters and a coppery brass wire ball thing with holder for 7.99 €.
(What the heck do you call that? Solder tip cleaner.)
I really just needed the flush cutter desperately.

I have another solder sucker and when it gets to the end it hits a hard stop with a bullet shot.
The Parkside solder sucker gives a more subdued "whump" when it finishes.
 

Offline Gyro

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11172
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14487 on: July 03, 2026, 12:49:00 pm »
For my Paris lab: Bargin  LIDL: EU 7.99! (reg pr EU 13.99)

40W solder station (Parkside brand) Uncalibrated temp control....

works OK, incl. 2  LF solder rolls and extra tip.

Jon

Good to see that they have deleted the ventilation slots from the top of the case!  :-+
Best Regards, Chris
 

Offline Gyro

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11172
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14488 on: July 07, 2026, 06:10:06 pm »
A chance find in our local second hand emporium. A Sullivan 1uF Precision Mica capacitor. It's a bit of a monster, nearly 200mm in diameter and 70mm tall (plus terminals). It seemed worth grabbing as a lab reference for £15. Missing a shield terminal and strap, I should be able to turn up a matching one though.

I estimate that it is 1940s, black crackle paint finish and the Absolute standard was adopted in ~1947. it is marked 'Int.' (International Farad) but I doubt the correction factor 0.999506 against Absolute (NBS) is going to trouble me! There's no calibration sticker anyway. No voltage rating shown either, I assume these were intended for bridge comparisons rather than high voltage work.

I've found an image of a 0.1uF one in the University of Queensland Physics Museum but I need to start the catalogue entry search (grateful for any info).


EDIT: The University of Queensland one is rather earlier judging from the more ornate terminals. It also doesn't indicate 'Abs.' or 'Int.'   The 'Int.' indication on mine must mean that they were aware of the (upcoming?) introduction of the Absolute Farad.
https://physicsmuseum.uq.edu.au/sites/default/files/IMG_2206_0.JPG

Edit continued: I found the date - 1947, after a slash on the end of the serial number! :palm:  I guess it shows that my reasoning was correct anyway.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2026, 06:03:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris
 
The following users thanked this post: exe

Online Renate

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1749
  • Country: de
    • Renate's Android Page
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14489 on: July 07, 2026, 06:27:28 pm »
The black wrinkle paint reminds me of the:
Brown Bros. Machine, St. Louis, Missouri, Model ST Morse code key
I had one years ago. (Not my photo.)
 

Offline Salient666

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 232
  • Country: nl
  • Ohm Sweet Ohm
    • Wavetable.nl
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14490 on: July 08, 2026, 03:01:32 pm »
My latest purchases of approx. last month.

- Fluke 96B 50MHz scopemeter
- Fluke 29 Series II multimeter
- Fluke 8022A multimeter
- Fluke 8020B multimeter
- Fluke 1507 insulation tester
- Fluke 360 earth leakage clamp
- Fluke 369FC earth leakage clamp
Buying 6-1/2 digit bench multimeters just to check if a regular nine-volt battery is still alive.
 

Offline JimKnopf

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 357
  • Country: 00
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14491 on: July 08, 2026, 08:44:51 pm »
@Renate Took me a while, but some minutes ago i could find a bat flying around the house.
 
The following users thanked this post: odessa, PlainName, Zucca, exe, Renate, booscrawl

Offline d-el

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 259
  • Country: ua
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14492 on: July 13, 2026, 11:19:47 pm »
Agilent 34970A + bundle various Cards.
 
The following users thanked this post: Smokey, Zucca, bsw_m

Offline u666sa

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 893
  • Country: us
  • Miami, FL
    • Codernov Electronics Repair
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14493 on: July 14, 2026, 10:19:00 pm »
DeoxIT D100L-25C

 

Offline exe

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3027
  • Country: nl
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14494 on: July 15, 2026, 02:31:48 pm »
Oh yeah, how come I forgot to lube my mp3 player and my pda...
 

Offline Muttley Snickers

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2415
  • Country: au
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14495 on: July 20, 2026, 03:37:30 am »
I bought and just received a Skmei 2523 from Aliexpress for $9.80, a really nice full featured watch which runs on a CR2032. Yesterday I also ordered a Casio W800H-1AV along with a Casio W738H-1A, the latter is their new model and sold out in most places so at $70 I just couldn’t resist getting one.
 

Offline Zucca

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 5148
  • Country: it
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14496 on: July 20, 2026, 03:18:34 pm »
@Renate Took me a while, but some minutes ago i could find a bat flying around the house.

Please stop posting I have no money in the bank, I just can't....

It looks sick, so effing cool!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca
 

Offline armandine2

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 968
  • Country: gb
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14497 on: July 22, 2026, 07:16:05 am »
...buy it from Farnell then it will soon deflate and stifle the experience  :palm:

later

[edit - the screen is "code" for update your account to proceed - which I have as a hobbyist and ordered a Metcal micro-fine series upgrade]  :-+
 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2026, 02:50:17 pm by armandine2 »
Gold Capacitor Prize - 2025
 

Offline exe

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3027
  • Country: nl
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14498 on: July 28, 2026, 02:21:32 pm »
Mountain bike from Germany. Given that I live in the Netherlands (i.e. Flatland), it's not the smartest move, but I wanted it badly.

I guess there was a little bit of misunderstanding with the bike consultant, but, to my surprise, he didn't flinch when I said I'm gonna use it in the city to do wheelies. I guess they are used to stupid demands and/or don't care.

My experience is... weird. It really feels like it was built for trails, not asphalt. It's also quite large. So, I went to a park near-by test it a little bit, it was doing fine. On normal roads it's noisy and feels not very efficient, but fine otherwise. Oh, and I often hit the top speed, esp. downhill. So, it's too slow on the smallest gear, but also too slow on the highest.

Anyway, jumping on a curb is no problem, and I'm happy about it. Oh, and that dropper seat, it's awesome. Don't know how I lived without it. Basically, I can adjust seat height any moment I want with a lever on the handlebar.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline wkb

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1156
  • Country: nl
  • PA1WBU
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #14499 on: July 28, 2026, 03:01:00 pm »
In Arnhem & surrounding area there are plenty hills to test your bicycle  :-//
 
The following users thanked this post: exe


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->