Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803858 times)

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5950 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
@ pomonabill221:
As far as I understand these parameters are only applied when you open the web interface, open a certain menu and click on a button on the page. And that wouldn't be of any use for me :(
I am slowly getting the feeling that I have to live with a quality of 85 after a cold boot :(

@ TurboTom:
I agree with OrBy, firmware 1.19.8 has never been available for download. I saved every update package that I could find, and so far I "only" have 1.18.7, 1.21.0, 1.22.0, 2.1.0 and 2.3.0.
But I can say that my E4 is version 1.0 and was delivered with firmware 1.19.8.
It is possible that version 1.1 has a fix for power supply. At a certain battery voltage (and below) I start to see some flickering in the visible camera image. Looks like stepping from a voltage regulator. I don't know if version 1.1 or 1.1L do have the same issue, would be interesting to test. But from the top of my head I can't say at which battery level the flickering starts to set in.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5951 on: November 26, 2014, 06:32:53 pm »
I wrote here about that quality 100 command. Important stuff is loaded by supervisor.
You can set commands like this where they loaded, I think, by defaultuser.
One place for them is menu files. Take some presets and write your lines. Then, after
reboot You need change Measurement away and back to this preset to have Your
command executed.
(.image.services.store.quality int32 100 working fine : )

Offline skynet

« Reply #5952 on: November 26, 2014, 07:42:53 pm »
Sorted the problem above i had. Can anyone tell me how to set the flir e4 back to uvc and msd mode in the usb. Iam stuck in rndis mode and cant change it in usb menu and flirinstaqllnet wont work in that mode so i cant use the Remove_RNDIS_Permament.fif .thx

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5953 on: November 26, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »
FLIRInstallNet should work in RNDIS mode.

Anyway, rename the remove rndis .fif file to .zip, open it and see in the  cmd file inside what file you need to delete from the camera. Run ftp and delete that file, i believe it is called zrndis.something, then reboot the camera.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline skynet

« Reply #5954 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07:51 pm »
thank you Bud
FLIRInstallNet should work in RNDIS mode.

Anyway, rename the remove rndis .fif file to .zip, open it and see in the  cmd file inside what file you need to delete from the camera. Run ftp and delete that file, i believe it is called zrndis.something, then reboot the camera.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5955 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:43 pm »
One place for them is menu files. Take some presets and write your lines. Then, after
reboot You need change Measurement away and back to this preset to have Your
command executed.
(.image.services.store.quality int32 100 working fine : )

So you saying i can open, say, the centerspot preset, put that line there, reboot, then toggle the centerspot in the menu and that extra command will get executed?

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5956 on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:52 pm »
@ janekivi:
Thank you for your hint!
I think that means I have to make some changes to facet_z3.rcc. I have to find out how and where I need to make those changes because I have never done that before and I'm not really familiar with the structure. But if it's the only possibility I have to make it work...

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5957 on: November 26, 2014, 09:17:28 pm »
So you saying i can open, say, the centerspot preset, put that line there, reboot, then toggle the centerspot in the menu and that extra command will get executed?
Yes, after reboot you need to select this preset where your command is. If this preset selected before, reboot not loading your lines. Select something else and after that edited preset, then command executed. After that do whatever you want until next boot.

Offline control4reak

« Reply #5958 on: November 27, 2014, 03:03:34 am »
Im having trouble find the V.03.zip files for version 2.3.  Any suggestions on where to look?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5959 on: November 27, 2014, 05:25:45 am »
Yes, after reboot you need to select this preset where your command is. If this preset selected before, reboot not loading your lines. Select something else and after that edited preset, then command executed. After that do whatever you want until next boot.

Do you need to re-CRC the modified preset file? What tool is to calculate new CRC32 ?

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5960 on: November 27, 2014, 05:59:21 am »
Im having trouble find the V.03.zip files for version 2.3.  Any suggestions on where to look?
Go to post #5633.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5961 on: November 27, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »
Thomas

I have fw 1.18.7 package. Maybe it works for you. I send it over Wetransfer. here is the link
"https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/edc64ec8258772c435577410b990cc8520141126075443/8ede047ffd9b47a7a195b3b5b1b2efa320141126075443/d9d99b"

If link is not working please inform, I can try another service.
Tugbay

Tugbay -

thanks for uploading the package, I downloaded the file but I noticed that I've already got the same one in my archives.

Thanks also to the others who commented on the existance (or rather non-existance) of the requested update package.
So I guess I'll try to assemble a 1.19.8 update package from my backups. At least for the FLIR camera application this should be possible, maybe not so for the OS.

Cheers,
Thomas

PS. Wow, just noticed that I opened page 400 of this thread - impressive considering the relatively small number of owners of these Tools (toys??) ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:42:32 pm by TurboTom »

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #5962 on: November 27, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »
looks like zoro is a zero for a black friday 20%+ coupon! BOO!!!

Offline Diesel

« Reply #5963 on: November 28, 2014, 01:11:45 am »
Hopefully there will be a cyber monday. I believe they have had pretty good ones in the past. I waited out the 20% the other day and am hoping for another chance.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:13:12 am by Diesel »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5964 on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:43 am »
Another step accomplished - .rcc is extracted  ;D

deRcc attachment is the code used to unpack - repacking should work somehow like that

Thanks. Also, typo in instructions. That should be qmake -project && qmake && make (not -profile).

Can someone help compile this and post back a ready to use executable?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5965 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:52 am »
Regarding tripod mounts. There is discussion of such buried in this thread and on the E4 useful information thread. Worth a look. The issue with placing a small threaded insert in the battery endcap is high leverage forces due to the length and weight distribution in the camera.A load spreader plate with a tripod thread tapped into it may be safer option. My Testo 880 has a metal end cap of just such a design.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SCR

• Contributor
« Reply #5966 on: November 29, 2014, 12:20:03 am »
Thank you, will try to get one this week and then report back ^-^

Got my E4 today (E4 1.2L SW2.3.0), applied v0.4 and now have a very nice resolution thermal cam to work with - thank you very much indeed! BTW, the included calibration certificate was from last week, they must sell a lot of these things.

Offline blkphtm

« Reply #5967 on: November 29, 2014, 02:19:19 am »
Just received the E4, 2.3.0, 1.2L and applied v04 hack (had to manually upload the files).  Is the Menu hack also required?  I noticed that I did not have Thermal MSX as an option after the v04 hack, missing the cross hairs and temp, and if I just used the digital camera, I got an AppCore.exe error and the camera had to be shut down.  Anyone else run into these issues with 2.3.0 version?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5968 on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:51 am »
You better revert and look what went wrong.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5969 on: November 29, 2014, 08:34:50 am »
I just want to let you know that I finally managed to return my (acidentally "updated" 2.3.0) 1.1HW camera back to its original 1.19.8 SW configuration with all the resolution/menu hack and web server service functions running.  :-+

To get this done, I used the backup of the original camera (...good to have kept this...) and an OEM 1.18.7 update package and constructed my own 1.19.8 update package. After some "tweaking" of the files, the update went through right to 96% but then terminated with an error (silent flag something...). Anyway, at this point the camera was fully operational and the only fact that indicated that there was a problem with the update was that the software configuration was reported as " >0.1.1". To finally get this sorted, I had to manually replace the two files in  \flashBFS\system\kits.d\ "appkit.rev" and "prodkit.rev" with the ones from my old backup. Even though they were part of the patched 1.19.8 "update package", apparently they were not replaced during the "update" process.

Well, that's a quick description of how an acidentally updated camera could be reverted back to its original configuration even if there isn't a suitable OEM package available. If someone needs more detailed information on this, please let me know.

This method will not work on a factory-shipped higher SW version camera, e.g. 2.3.0. The bootloader or other fuctions buried "deeper" in the camera system will not be compatible with the earlier firmware. Any attempt to "downgrade" such a camera as described above will "brick" it!

Thanks a lot to all who posted the information and hints to finally enable me to get this done.

Cheers,
Thomas

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5970 on: November 29, 2014, 08:36:05 am »

OK that worked! Another improvement to 2.3.0
Yes just a little inconvenience that every time you boot you need to toggle the crosshair, that will set quality to 100. Not a big deal.

A single line did not work for me, I added the following to preset_nomeasure.rsc

.image entry
.image.services entry
.image.services.store entry
.image.services.store.quality int32 100

Attached is a raw image of a PC fan grill under the desk, no MSX, no postprocessing,  quality 100.

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5971 on: November 29, 2014, 10:23:49 am »
Well, there it goes for me. That's the price you have to pay for an easier hack.

No wonder I couldn't find these preset files in my backup. These were introduced in firmware 2.1.0.
I compared the current firmware update package with my backup and I don't have a folder "presets.d", see attached screenshot. So this isn't an option for me.

I'm sure there would be another possibility for me, but as I said earlier I don't know anything about menu hacking, so I have to live with it.

But nevertheless, thanks to everyone who tried to help me! :)

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5972 on: November 29, 2014, 02:11:51 pm »
@BUD

Does that work on firmware 1.19 ? Or has it not been tried? Mine does have the presetsd folder.

That picture of the fan grill is quite good! You should do a side by side with quality at it's default and that photo.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:15:25 pm by heavybarrel »

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5973 on: November 29, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »
I'm not Bud but I have firmware 1.19.8 and I do not have this preset-folder. And I have to admit that I haven't tried it yet. But I'll give it a go now. I'll report back in a few minutes.
Just out of curiosity: Do you only have the folder itself or are there 4 files present also?

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5974 on: November 29, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »
Stefbeer,

I just checked, the folder is there but it is empty! Can't say i ever made the effort to open it before!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf