Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2805657 times)

at_sr and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8900 on: October 19, 2019, 12:27:02 pm »
Got my self an oscilloscope, a SDS1104X-E.   :-+
A very nice oscilloscope with very good bang for buck!   :-+

(I got one as a second unit and to take it with me because it's also small and lightweight but I happen to use it more often than my primary oscilloscope.)

Yeah especially when you can hack it to 200MHz. :)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8901 on: October 19, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »
Just a couple of bits and pieces....  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8902 on: October 19, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
Another NanoVNA. Shown with case off.

857486-0

857490-1
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8903 on: October 20, 2019, 10:56:57 pm »
Another NanoVNA. Shown with case off.

How long do those Lipo's last?
"Last" as in before bulging, not as in before discharging?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8904 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:11 pm »
I accidentally bought a Keysight 1253B. Always make sure you've eaten and slept before ebaying.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8905 on: October 22, 2019, 12:22:34 am »
Well, my $550 Deckel CNC from back in 2017 is finally fully fixed and rebuild to about factory specifications and nearly back in operation. ;D ;D ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1298855/#msg1298855

Should be capable of 3D milling and has universal table fitted, with a 0.001° DRO fitted in the rotation axis.

Never mind the trigger stick, that picture was a bit tricky, with all the mess on the floor ;-)

Price  back in 1986 was about $150'000, btw, so I paid about 0.4% original price, even better than most old test gear nowadays. Or about $0.4/kg. Rebuild was a lot of work and not exactly cheap, though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:40:44 am by MadTux »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8906 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:57 am »
Nice! Yeah with CNC and other machinery the biggest and heaviest and best gear is usually cheap since little hobbieists have the room or the tens of kW sockets to connect them  :)
Great for those who have the room and power to run it and a spouse who allows it.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8907 on: October 22, 2019, 07:14:25 am »
My dream in terms of CNC Machining:

VARIAXIS 630-5X II T 5-Axis

Quite impossible to have it at home, 3 Phase with at least a Power Requirement of 82.2 kVA. I installed back in 2007 2 of these in a Plastic Moulding manifold manufacturing plant in Portugal and this machine is a beast. 5 Axis simultaneous machining via EIA/ISO Programming (CAD/CAM), 3 axis simultaneous via the Mazatrol easy programming directly on the machine controller or application installed on a PC.

The new ones are way more powerful and modern that this one, but this one was the most expensive one that I gone from the ordering to the delivery, installing and testing. All the process were coordinated by me to the customer, so it kept a soft spot on my heart.

If I had the money and the space and nothing more to worry, I would buy one of these. Yes totally overly overkill, totally, but a pleasure to see working in 5 axis simultaneous

Sorry about the tacky music, all Yamazaki Mazak Promotional Videos had this bad kind of musics. I always told the Japanese that they should put a more soft and mundane music and keep only the machining sounds, but they never listen, not when I was only the worker from a Distributor not a Main Branch like UK or the US.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:22:17 am by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8908 on: October 22, 2019, 07:19:13 am »
The more CNC based gear you have the more you realize you NEED. Ask me how I know  :palm:

I have been making a 'small' list of Router bits I 'need' for my 2.2kW router  :o At least the router was fairly cheap.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8909 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:13 am »
Yes, cheap is something they weren't: The 2 of them, plus 2x 24 Tool Magazines that you would connect to the back, plus extra 2 work tables, plus options could buy you a Bugatti Veyron and still have money for some tyre replacements and maintenance cost plus some full tanks of gasoline...

You had to have work to pay them, a lot of work, and Yudo Inc. Plastics had.

The cheapest lathe that we had, the QTN200 2 Axes simple without any options, the basics of basics were around EU€50,000
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:39:56 am by Black Phoenix »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8910 on: October 22, 2019, 07:49:25 am »
Like with all gear easy access to the services for $ I factor in before buying and also what an expected payback time will be. I regard my 3D printers as paid for in jobs done for $. The first toy CNC that proceeded it was a learning experience but largely a step I should have maybe avoided (cheap Ali Express 3020). The Laser cutter is well on the way to payback and the larger CNC Router is still a WIP. Locally (within 3 hours drive) no one offers this sort of service.

Locally we have good metalworking and welding options from basic to Water, Plasma and Laser along with CNC Mills and Lathes if needed and paying some $ for those guys is far better for my mix than keeping the gear myself even though I am an OK welder. Part of why this works is I have been working on some CAD skills which was always the costly part for one offs done by others in the past.

Buying a 30-100k+ Mill would be nice but I can buy a heap of time on someone elses if needed.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8911 on: October 22, 2019, 08:05:29 am »
Well, my $550 Deckel CNC from back in 2017 is finally fully fixed and rebuild to about factory specifications and nearly back in operation. ;D ;D ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1298855/#msg1298855

Should be capable of 3D milling and has universal table fitted, with a 0.001° DRO fitted in the rotation axis.

Never mind the trigger stick, that picture was a bit tricky, with all the mess on the floor ;-)

Price  back in 1986 was about $150'000, btw, so I paid about 0.4% original price, even better than most old test gear nowadays. Or about $0.4/kg. Rebuild was a lot of work and not exactly cheap, though.

Top marks for the redneck selfie-stick! :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8912 on: October 22, 2019, 10:15:48 am »
Two pieces of equipment turned-up yesterday:

Another F' ed-up arc welder: A Gys Spark 130.

Unbelievable how badly designed these things are: The control PCB is attached to the power IMS through tin soldered binding posts that also serve as electrical interconnect for the high currents.
Users bashing the welder around carelessly will tear the binding posts off the IMS, on this one the IMS is a complete wreck, I've phoned Gys who do replace them (themselves only) but won't sell me a spare. This is going to be quite challenging to repair.

A Metrix MX52 DMM, 35€ posted. Sold as untested.
Sure, when you can't read the display you can't really test the rest...

LCD display on initial test.
Not really readable.

Looking for battery corrosion under the foam.
Luckily this one is clean.

Checking rotary switch contacts with the endo-cam.
The early models were known for loosing the contact fingers.
One side...

And the other side, they are all in place.
They'll get a good spraying, just because a good spraying feels good.

Cleaning ze zebras.
Spraying the interconnect between main and display PCB with contact cleaner eases disassembly.

Re-checking the LCD.

Quick calibration check and readjustment where possible.
There is no easy adjustment for the Amps, needs to be tweaked by swapping resistors.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #8913 on: October 22, 2019, 10:50:17 am »
Doesn't work for me. I always get rid of the old one before the new one. I got rid of my Carbide 3D in favor of Bantam.

Why did you change? I have a Nomad 883, and I like it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #8914 on: October 22, 2019, 10:59:33 am »
Furthering my solar install by taking 24-7 loads off grid:

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #8915 on: October 22, 2019, 07:46:06 pm »
Right, it is smaller, but the work area is smaller, too. Sometimes I wish the work area of my machine is bigger, like the Shapeoko, but I wouldn't have much room for it. But looks like the Bantam is perfect for small PCBs.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8916 on: October 24, 2019, 04:30:00 am »
After spending time and money with chinese junk I decided to buy some real good quality 0.5mm 63/37 solder wire from a local company. What a difference! Worth every penny and this roll should last for ever for my needs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:33:13 am by Microcheap »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Teti

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #8917 on: October 24, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
Yes, 4L has different capabilities and allows tighter constraints than 2L.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8918 on: October 24, 2019, 09:47:31 am »
After spending time and money with chinese junk I decided to buy some real good quality 0.5mm 63/37 solder wire from a local company. What a difference! Worth every penny and this roll should last for ever for my needs.
Yep. I do not understand why people waste their time with Chinese solder. Even "expensive" solder is still cheap, when you consider how little of it you use in a project. I doubt if I've spent much more than $100 on solder in my whole lifetime, and I still have most of it!

Offline Teti

• Regular Contributor
    • www.martenelectric.cz
« Reply #8919 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:34 pm »

Now you got me intrigued, I might do the same. yeah, cheap Chinese solder wires are not the best for the serious stuff. :-+
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker.
http://www.martenelectric.cz/

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8920 on: October 25, 2019, 12:33:29 am »
Now you got me intrigued, I might do the same. yeah, cheap Chinese solder wires are not the best for the serious stuff. :-+

Never cheap out on solder wick and flux too!, speaking of which...

Bit of a tool haul from China, the wick was only a couple bucks and I was expecting it to be fake but I think it's the real deal.  ^-^

I also ordered some connector pliers from Japan, the KTC AD101. I'm just sick and tired of busting my fingers unplugging connectors that haven't been touched for 25 years, so I'm hoping this tool works well. It's like 80 dollarydoos so not a cheap one!
I've been getting by using normal needlenose pliers and slipping in a screwdriver to undo the "locks" but sometimes when you're upside down head first in a footwell trying to unplug the blower fan on an air-conditioning unit in a 1993 Toyota Supra because the heater core is leaking...yeah...I'll gladly pay $1000 for some damn pliers that work.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8921 on: October 25, 2019, 12:48:55 am »
I usually buy a 10 pack of mg chem wick for $35. Works well and not expensive.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8922 on: October 25, 2019, 07:10:50 am »

Never cheap out on solder wick and flux too!, speaking of which...

Bit of a tool haul from China, the wick was only a couple bucks and I was expecting it to be fake but I think it's the real deal.  ^-^

I also ordered some connector pliers from Japan, the KTC AD101. I'm just sick and tired of busting my fingers unplugging connectors that haven't been touched for 25 years, so I'm hoping this tool works well. It's like 80 dollarydoos so not a cheap one!
I've been getting by using normal needlenose pliers and slipping in a screwdriver to undo the "locks" but sometimes when you're upside down head first in a footwell trying to unplug the blower fan on an air-conditioning unit in a 1993 Toyota Supra because the heater core is leaking...yeah...I'll gladly pay $1000 for some damn pliers that work.

:o     :-+

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #8923 on: October 25, 2019, 07:38:08 am »
Finally, my own spectrum analyzer... got it really cheap, works :)
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8924 on: October 25, 2019, 08:21:00 am »
Finally, my own spectrum analyzer... got it really cheap, works :)
(Attachment Link)

Nice 1 buddy! Looks like a beauty  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf