There's a shit-ton of personal attack occurring. If you complain, then the mods blame you for it, as if you can't throw mud back and are expected to sit here and just take it endlessly, as they do in a monastery.
Anyone else notice a rise in normal typically intelligent and technically competent users going off the rails and getting into arguments that spiral into pages and pages of shit talking? I feel like that's happening way more than it used to. It's like a black hole of crap that pulls in other people until it collapses on itself.
No other forums are this rough. I would welcome some change.
> Certainly you and [person X] can diddle one another endlessly. Don't bother your little heads with hard stuff like electronics.
>
> Flame on, gentlemen.
[Person Y] doesn't bother his little head with electronics either. He posts simulations of circuits that he has cobbled together from time to time, but he's remarkably unwilling to talk about why he put them together the way he did, and avoids components that are tricky to understand, like transformers designed and custom wound to do a specific job.
He's happy to pose as a circuit designer and attempt to flame other people by suggesting they should design his electronics for him, but designing stuff from scratch seems to be beyond him.
)Clowns like Flyguy think that they are always potentially dangerous, which saves him from actually having to think about what is going on - not something he can actually manage.
...
> Again, you lie about lying - a KNOWN trait of a congenital liar.
Of course you aren't a congenital liar. You are just too pig-ignorant to realise that you are lying, and quite how obvious your lies are.
I too have noticed threads with pages of mud slinging going on, increasingly so.
My feelings are the forum's rules are not being enforced well enough:
2) No personal attacks. This is the biggest rule on this forum. If you don't follow it, you are not welcome here."
... "The main rule is NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, they will not be tolerated here. If you can't follow that simple rule, you are not welcome here."
There's a shit-ton of personal attack occurring. If you complain, then the mods blame you for it, as if you can't throw mud back and are expected to sit here and just take it endlessly, as they do in a monastery.
So I'm seeing great people pull back or leave the forum entirely after they get shit on. It's a big loss.
Sometimes I wonder if they aren't paid agents sowing discord or shitposting here.
No other forums are this rough. I would welcome some change.
We can't ban someone from just one thread for example to prevent trouble in a certain topic, we can only ask them to calm down or leave the tread of their accord.
And if we start deleting posts then people get pissed off and leave, so have to use that sparingly.
We can temporarily ban people for a few day so they have time to calm down, but I'm not sure it achieves much.
I'm convinced EEVBlog is mostly grumpy old men
there have been a few exchanges that were appalling and I'm sure that sort of thing drives people away.
One variable that is sort of unknown but worth considering is how many people there might be who would be valuable contributors but choose not to because of the tone of some discussions. I'm convinced EEVBlog is mostly grumpy old men and most flare-ups are just bickering, but there have been a few exchanges that were appalling and I'm sure that sort of thing drives people away.
I get that moderation is hard, there are limited resources, and there are tradeoffs in any moderation actions taken... but I also wonder if this forum's standards are veering farther from the current "expected norms" of discourse by not exercising a bit more control, and as a result losing more potential members.
It would be impossible to moderate a forum to a point where someone doesn't take a offense.
Don't moderate so people don't take offence, moderate people who go out of their way to give it. You've just given one example of a member doing exactly that. I could name others, but it's better if moderation is done with an open mind. That and I can't claim total innocence.
So I'm seeing great people pull back or leave the forum entirely after they get shit on. It's a big loss.
Sometimes I wonder if they aren't paid agents sowing discord or shitposting here.
No other forums are this rough. I would welcome some change.
I looked at the reported (by more than one person) post and who made it, and told them to leave the thread, and they responded with "Feel free to ban me". Should I have banned this otherwise prolific and respected poster?, or was the right move to lock the thread to de-escalate the whole thing?
So please, tell me, what should I have done? I'd like to know what people think.
Sometimes you should give people exactly what they ask for.
You might also consider if the respect is as widespread as you believe - I would not describe his attitude in that thread as unusual.
So please, tell me, what should I have done? I'd like to know what people think.
Anyone else notice a rise in normal typically intelligent and technically competent users going off the rails and getting into arguments that spiral into pages and pages of shit talking? I feel like that's happening way more than it used to. It's like a black hole of crap that pulls in other people until it collapses on itself.
Sure there are the trolls you sort of expect to cause trouble, but I'm talking about users that are usually "upstanding citizens".
Not sure what to do about it. Just more of an observation.
I looked at the reported (by more than one person) post and who made it, and told them to leave the thread, and they responded with "Feel free to ban me". Should I have banned this otherwise prolific and respected poster?, or was the right move to lock the thread to de-escalate the whole thing?
So please, tell me, what should I have done? I'd like to know what people think.
Sometimes you should give people exactly what they ask for.
You might also consider if the respect is as widespread as you believe - I would not describe his attitude in that thread as unusual.
13,800 posts, 4333 Thanks

So please, tell me, what should I have done? I'd like to know what people think.
I think locking the thread and letting the participants reflect (if they do) on their own statements is a good compromise and temporary fix, but it just seems somehow odd to be locking a thread about measuring ESR of capacitors.
I think banning any of the participants would be a loss to all of us
One variable that is sort of unknown but worth considering is how many people there might be who would be valuable contributors but choose not to because of the tone of some discussions. I'm convinced EEVBlog is mostly grumpy old men and most flare-ups are just bickering, but there have been a few exchanges that were appalling and I'm sure that sort of thing drives people away.
I've seen far more forums destroyed by over moderation.
We had a hand full of top contributors leave here because of perceived over moderation on the TEA thread.
Even when offered their own forum section with their own moderator, they didn't want to come back.
I get that moderation is hard, there are limited resources, and there are tradeoffs in any moderation actions taken... but I also wonder if this forum's standards are veering farther from the current "expected norms" of discourse by not exercising a bit more control, and as a result losing more potential members.
We have had to ban some of the top contributors to the forum. Even at one point, the biggest poster on the forum. How far do you want us to take it?
It would be impossible to moderate a forum to a point where someone doesn't take a offense. And if just that one person has reach online, it can literally take just one person to spread the rumor that the forum sucks etc.
So it doesn't matter how we do it, there will always be people who think this forum is full of xxxxxxxx and you should stay away. And likewise there will always be people who think this forum is over-moderated to the point that it should be avoided because of that.
...
In all cases the posted is unfortunately not notified. And we have had many complaints that post have "mysteriously vanished", and this is part of what caused the mass exodus in the TEA thread.
If we use option 3 a lot then we end up with a forum filled with "Post deleted by moderator messages", which also isn't a good look for those who visit.
Sometimes you should give people exactly what they ask for.
You might also consider if the respect is as widespread as you believe - I would not describe his attitude in that thread as unusual.
13,800 posts, 4333 Thanks
I'm 100% certain there would have been a huge uproar if I had just banned them.
Yes, that person can be what I would describe as a bit "gruff", but no more so than countless people on here really.
To my knowledge they have never made a ban worthy post before, and IIRC have rarely if ever been reported before.