Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 181884 times)

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2024, 02:59:53 pm »
Confirmed 171 installed/updated without issue - Thanks Ian,

TonyG

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2024, 07:58:04 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download.
WinGPIB_V3_172.zip
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1

Slight tweak to the Command Line tab. When doing a Query Async it no longer adds in a extra carriage return (blank line). Each line for each command and its reply now occupies a single line now, per below.

PS. Sadly, it's not possible to auto-detect Query Async versus Send Async with GPIB as every manufacturer has it's own command structure. If they had ALL had a question mark after a Query Async command then it would have been easy!

Ian.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:00:41 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #752 on: April 24, 2024, 05:19:04 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download.
WinGPIB_V3_173.zip
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1

- Fixed slight bug in the Playback Chart, the Manual Refresh and Zoom All buttons now refresh the CSV without upsetting the x-scale labels and Time in mins.
- Add simple instructions/info on the GPIB Command Line tab.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: 0x2102

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #753 on: May 15, 2024, 01:40:51 pm »
Just having a play with this app here.
I have two questions..

Is there a way to change the directory that the cal dump for the 3457A is saved to?
I have 'My Documents' on my D drive and I get an Unhandled Exception until I manually made the required folders on my C drive.
Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\WinGPIBdata\3457ACalram_date_time.bin"

Also, how does one determine what addresses to copy for a particular instrument? Is there an easy way to determine if I have an early or late type instrument?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #754 on: May 15, 2024, 02:31:21 pm »
Just having a play with this app here.
I have two questions..

Is there a way to change the directory that the cal dump for the 3457A is saved to?
I have 'My Documents' on my D drive and I get an Unhandled Exception until I manually made the required folders on my C drive.
Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\WinGPIBdata\3457ACalram_date_time.bin"

Also, how does one determine what addresses to copy for a particular instrument? Is there an easy way to determine if I have an early or late type instrument?

I have updated WinGPIB, see the download in Post #1 with a new version V3.174
This version doesn't not discriminate between C: and D: drives etc.

I have NOT tested the installation .msi file so please let me know how you get on.
I the event your D: drive \WinGPIBdata folder isn't created at installation then manually create it, then run the .exe

The .exe runs on my system and finds the C: drive WinGPIBdata folder as normal, so I know my non-discriminatory code is working.

To get the address of your instrument say you are using the Keysight libraries then run the Keysight Connection Expert and scan for instruments and it should appear.
Note that certainly under the Keysight libraries you can setup aliases etc so the exact address folks use can vary, as well as depending on what or how many GPIB gateways are in use.
The detection of addresses is not within the scope of WinGPIB.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, TERRA Operative

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #755 on: May 15, 2024, 02:58:55 pm »
And if you use the Rhode Schwartz  Visa package 7.2.3     

They include a tool called : Tester 32 and 64 bit

see the attached image, you click on the   Find Resource  and anything detected / connected will show

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #756 on: May 15, 2024, 03:06:19 pm »
@Terra    if  you normally  do a call of the instrument id  *IDN?  or else

some  not all for sure, may spit their revision,   if the company made it so... if not go into their menu system properties

My generator answer this  with an IDN command

Siglent Technologies,SSG3032X,SSG3XXXXXXXXXX,3.1.19R5   i put x'es on the number  loll

there you see it's fw  version : 3.1.19R5
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:09:06 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #757 on: May 15, 2024, 03:48:44 pm »
Thanks for the revision! It works perfectly now using my D drive and makes the needed folders itself. :)

For the address, what I mean is that when I'm copying out the calibration data, I can choose two options for either an older or newer 3457A as the calibration data is held in different addresses in RAM.
I'm just wondering how to determine which selection to make for my instrument. i.e, looking at the serial number or a revision number on the PCB etc?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #758 on: May 15, 2024, 05:24:38 pm »
Thanks for the revision! It works perfectly now using my D drive and makes the needed folders itself. :)

For the address, what I mean is that when I'm copying out the calibration data, I can choose two options for either an older or newer 3457A as the calibration data is held in different addresses in RAM.
I'm just wondering how to determine which selection to make for my instrument. i.e, looking at the serial number or a revision number on the PCB etc?

Ahhh, I see.
On page 8-23 of the service manual it gives some instruction to work out which version you have based on the serial number of your 3457A.
There is also some info on the following page where folks have identified the different versions:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/dumping-cal-ram-of-a-hp3457a/50/

Ian.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 05:26:32 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #759 on: May 15, 2024, 05:35:09 pm »
I think the next question would be :

Q:would it be possible from within WinGPB to execute some -pre programmed commands     say:  python or else

Meaning   WinGpib connect to the instrument and  "from the 3457 linked page",     you execute a cal dump thru it and save it elsewhere ?

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #760 on: May 15, 2024, 06:57:32 pm »
I think the next question would be :

Q:would it be possible from within WinGPB to execute some -pre programmed commands     say:  python or else

Meaning   WinGpib connect to the instrument and  "from the 3457 linked page",     you execute a cal dump thru it and save it elsewhere ?

Actually, it's something I would like to add....i.e. a Python scripting interface from within WinGPIB......but it's likely quite complicated to do....for me anyways.

Ian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf