Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Repair / Re: Mig welder wire feeder controller board not working
« Last post by xavier60 on Today at 02:25:24 am »
A little off topic but wire feed related. Since repairing a no wire feed problem with my brother's WIA 250i, it now will stop feeding if an arc doesn't strike within a second of pulling the trigger. Seems to be a feature that has been activated somehow, but no mention of it in the manual. Not a problem in practice.
Beginners / Re: 555 driver and Transformer questions
« Last post by DanMann on Today at 02:24:23 am »
to confirm, I attempting to use this power supply for its original intended purpose.

I do not want to replace the power supply as it passes all checks I  am looking to maintain as much of the original parts as possible, such as the vacuum tube rectifier.

I am trying to replace the mechanical vibrator (interrupter) which is the weak link and is shown in the purple box in the diagram I posted in my previous post. 

How does this look to you?

I added a plastic washer under that screw on mine.
I recently wrote a simple piece of code that could be helpful to others. Note that the code here needs a little customization to be used. I posted a generic version of it to facilitate such customization. Pretty self explanatory, however, please ask questions if needed. Hopefully it helps.
Best
AL

Code: [Select]

//set pins
const int pinOne = 2; //
const int pinTwo = 3; //
const int pinN = n; // define as many pins needed for as many input signals needed to be validated

//variables
double currentMillis; //the current time in milliseconds (begins count at power on)
unsigned long lastDebounceTime;  //  (miliseconds) the last time the signals were checked
unsigned long debounceDelay;    // (miliseconds) the debounce time

//arrays
#define numSignals N //define array
// INDEX..............................[0].......[1].........[N]............
const int signalPins[numSignals] = {pinOne, pinTwo, pinN,...}; //include  as many pins declared
boolean signalValidation[numSignals]; //validation output (1=valid)
boolean signalState[numSignals];        // current state of the signal
boolean lastSignalState[numSignals];    // previous state of the signal
int highSignalValidationCounter[numSignals]; // signal counter for valid high signals
int lowSignalValidationCounter[numSignals]; // signal counter for valid low signals

void setup() { //system variables initial set values
  lastDebounceTime = 0;
  debounceDelay = 10;//change to suit sensitivity needs
  //arrays initial set values
  for (int i = 0; i < numSignals ; i++) {
    signalValidation[i] = 0; //validation output (1=valid)
    signalState[i] = 0;      // current state of the button
    lastSignalState[i] = 0;  // previous state of the button
    highSignalValidationCounter[i] = 0; // signal counter for valid open or close signals
    lowSignalValidationCounter[i] = 0; // signal counter for valid open or close signals
  }
}

void loop() {
    currentMillis = millis(); //get the current millis at the beginning of the loop
    signalVal (); //validates input signals
  }

I recently wrote a simple piece of code that could be helpful to others. Note that the code here needs a little customization to be used. I posted a generic version of it to facilitate such customization. Pretty self explanatory, however, please ask questions if needed. Hopefully it helps.
Best
AL

Code: [Select]

//set pins
const int pinOne = 2; //
const int pinTwo = 3; //
const int pinN = n; // define as many pins needed for as many input signals needed to be validated

//variables
double currentMillis; //the current time in milliseconds (begins count at power on)
unsigned long lastDebounceTime;  //  (miliseconds) the last time the signals were checked
unsigned long debounceDelay;    // (miliseconds) the debounce time

//arrays
#define numSignals N //define array
// INDEX..............................[0].......[1].........[N]............
const int signalPins[numSignals] = {pinOne, pinTwo, pinN,...}; //include  as many pins declared
boolean signalValidation[numSignals]; //validation output (1=valid)
boolean signalState[numSignals];        // current state of the signal
boolean lastSignalState[numSignals];    // previous state of the signal
int highSignalValidationCounter[numSignals]; // signal counter for valid high signals
int lowSignalValidationCounter[numSignals]; // signal counter for valid low signals

void setup() { //system variables initial set values
  lastDebounceTime = 0;
  debounceDelay = 10;//change to suit sensitivity needs
  //arrays initial set values
  for (int i = 0; i < numSignals ; i++) {
    signalValidation[i] = 0; //validation output (1=valid)
    signalState[i] = 0;      // current state of the button
    lastSignalState[i] = 0;  // previous state of the button
    highSignalValidationCounter[i] = 0; // signal counter for valid open or close signals
    lowSignalValidationCounter[i] = 0; // signal counter for valid open or close signals
  }
}

void loop() {
    currentMillis = millis(); //get the current millis at the beginning of the loop
    signalVal (); //validates input signals
  }

« Last post by coppercone2 on Today at 02:19:01 am »
I imagine  the degree of porosity added by some oil would require x-ray to find, it must be very minor.

Not that I care, but you know, boeing might be using mig welders for airframe repair or something

But I do have the mentality that a non professional will benefit from the best possible conditions because the work you put out without it being basically a trade job might be so marginal in some cases that the extra steps keep it barely in line. If I can get some extra help from essentially a passive system I will take it, I just don't have the time and inclination to always do a practice bead and stuff that a pro would get paid to do
I measured via visual and electrical methods, so there is no doubt about my measurements.
Pleaae publish your measuremenets.
   it's the same story as my Chinese made trailer, it will almost meet the stated load but there is NO safety margin.

There's a Chinese EE located near me, running a transformer rewinding business. He's from Shanghai. Many years ago, he told me that
Chinese electronics are made to a price, and they will only just meet spec. (if at all).

He went on to say that, unlike US or EU equipment, Chinese-brand equipment will not have any overload capability, not even
short-term overload.
Test Equipment / Re: Agilent 54845A Failing all trigger self tests
« Last post by MarkL on Today at 02:13:53 am »
I've been following your progress on this thread, but I can't really add much since I don't have this scope.

However, I will point out that the Agilent 16533A and 16534A scope cards for their logic analyzer line (which I do have) uses the same Logic Trigger 1FJ9-0002 ASIC or 1821-4786 carrier board, and the same Time Base 1SE6-0056 ASIC.  Other scopes from that era also use this chip set.  I'm sure HPAK re-used this design as much as they could.

I think you're right that the Logic Trigger carrier card replaced the ASIC at some point for unknown reasons.  The 16533A/16534A cards also exhibit this change in their lineage as well.  I have some of both types and the behavior and specifications are identical.  However, I don't think the 1821-4786 carrier card is a complete drop-in for the 1FJ9-0002 ASIC because there are other changes in that area on the 16533A/16534A cards between the two versions.

I'm just pointing this out since these cards might be a possible source for ASIC replacements, if you should determine you need one.

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase since you are working on a completely different device, but I can also say the scope cards have a history of bad resistors, either completely open or wrongly high value.  I've had a couple of bad termination resistors, one of which was on a clock line which caused multiple errors during self-test.

I've also bad resistors on the output setting pins of local voltage regulators that caused the wrong voltage to be output.  In one instance, it was on a regulator used to supply ECL termination networks on the card, again causing multiple and seemingly unrelated self-tests to fail.
« Last post by TERRA Operative on Today at 02:11:50 am »
Yeah, basic, non critical MIG welding on mild steel is pretty forgiving. I never really understood why some people end up with no penetration on their bird-poop welds....

TIG does need a clean surface, but there are welders that provide cleaning settings (AC balance IIRC?) especially for aluminium alloys etc, but nothing beats a pre-cleaned surface.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next