Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
must electrically insulate windings(so that vibration and dirt). other thing is esthetics
General Technical Chat / Re: The strange case of phase angles
« Last post by Andy Watson on Today at 12:54:55 pm »
The impedance of the capacitor should be combined with the impedance of the inductor in parallel; you appear to have combined them in series.
Test Equipment / Re: New 2ch pocket DSO+SG - Zeeweii DSO2512G
« Last post by tunk on Today at 12:50:53 pm »
FY3224s has quite good precision (frequency response) up to 10MHz / 10V, but is not very accurate, i.e. the multimeter shows slightly different values in certain voltage ranges from what is set on the FY3224s.
It may be caused by the multimeter - multimeters also have a frequency range.
Beginners / Re: Convert US standard 115V to International 230V
« Last post by tooki on Today at 12:45:55 pm »
Somehow we need to get through to you that you have got to be more receptive to feedback and more accepting of others’ expertise, and to make a real effort to read carefully and thoroughly before responding to threads.

I don't know why you decided that I don't listen to feedback. […]
Because you don’t, and that entire reply is proof of this. You just bark back, but never accept responsibility for mistakes, nor accept that others are correct. Look at the part of my sentence above that is in italics. (And which was in italics in the original.)

Your first reply in this thread, long after OP had listed the part numbers of the power supplies used, you suggested 1. using a motor-generator set, and 2. to consider switching to an SMPS inside.

Both of those suggestions are completely irrelevant and useless at that point in the discussion because it had already been established that it uses two universal-input SMPSs. This shows you did NOT read the discussion before replying. When this was pointed out to you, you responded that the total power didn’t add up, even though this also had already been explained in the prior discussion. Rather than just saying “oh crap, sorry, I responded before reading everything” or “my apologies, you’re right, I missed that detail when reading” (which are things that happen to ALL of us!), you just keep digging and digging for why you can’t possibly be wrong… And that’s why people (plural) got annoyed, and expressed that.
Unless by “anywhere”, you mean on a more microscopic level as it applies to my original question.
I mean, it’s just the stator by itself right now, fairly easy to clean.
Power/Renewable Energy/EV's / Re: SMPS input filter cut off frequency
« Last post by mtwieg on Today at 12:40:22 pm »
The reasoning is likely as follows:
The power supply's control loop will attenuate line disturbances below the controller's crossover frequency.
The LC filter will attenuate disturbances above its cutoff frequency.
In order to attenuate disturbances at all frequencies, then these two bands should overlap, thus the LC filter fc should be lower than the controller's crossover fc.

Of course, whether this is actually worthwhile is very application-specific.
For example, if your primary concern is just passing EMC tests, then there's not much reason to attenuate below 150kHz (or whatever the lower test frequency your device requires).
Sanding or wire wheeling will produce metal swarf which can go anywhere, not really desirable.
You may be right, I thought that switch has 12V output. Any recommendation for footswitch that would have directly the 12V output?
How would it? There’s no standardized 12V plug, unlike the 120V mains plug and receptacle.
Greetings,

I have an old radial arm saw that I’m rebuilding. I’ve cleaned it up, put new bearings in the motor and now want to paint it. The motor has exposed laminations on the body, presumably to save space or something.

As far as I know, there’s usually insulation between laminations, perhaps in the form of “backlack” or other varnish-y type material. Is this insulation also applied to the edges of each lamination? If I were to sand or wire wheel off the existing paint, do I run the risk of removing insulation and causing some lamination to lamination shorts? My thought is that the distance between laminations is already set by the thickness of the insulation between lamination, so I wouldn’t be shorting any together unless i applied severe pressure, enough to deform the laminations “into each other”.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next