Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Security / Re: Microsoft repackages apps with a telemetry .NET wrapper
« Last post by madires on Today at 08:50:55 pm »
Unfortunately the GDPR enforcement is slow, especially when the Irish DPC is involved.
If I needed a new bench PSU, I'd choose between the GPP-4323 and the hackable SPD3303X-E. Budget would most likely be the deciding factor.
General Technical Chat / Re: Cable Management
« Last post by Smokey on Today at 08:45:25 pm »
My workbench is in a small bedroom and all my parts and cables are kept in the closet.
The clothes shelf in the closet is a wire mesh and I 3D printed a cable hanger to clip
onto the outer edge.

I do this.  One of these racks on the wall next to the lab bench.  Cables draped through slots.  Bonus feature is you get to also fill the shelf with junk!  Win-Win!
General Technical Chat / Re: Cable Management
« Last post by Smokey on Today at 08:43:24 pm »
Each individual cable loosely coiled inside a ziplock bag, with a descriptive label on a card insert. All the bags stacked filing cabinet style (on edge) so the labels are visible, in a drawer. Apart from mains leads, which breed when you don’t look at them.

With the bags, don't forget the desiccant packet and moisture monitor card!  That is, unless you are purging with argon.  Or better yet, full vacuum.
Beginners / Re: Convert US standard 115V to International 230V
« Last post by Jwillis on Today at 08:41:09 pm »
On a SMPS, frequency of the mains voltage doesn't matter because the mains power is rectified to DC then the frequency is set to a by the PWM for the transformer.
You have to be very careful when making such very general statements. A SMPS designed for 60 Hz will have greater ripple at the capacitor when connected to 50 Hz. Most of the time the capacitor will have enough margin but if the capacitor is very tight initially or if it loses some of its capacitance it could lead to problems.

I agree that the statement is a simplified explanation of how a SMPS. But if you look at main stream switching power supplies on the market they are designed for a broad range of frequencies and input voltages. You need to choose a power supply rated for the application to which it is intended. There are SMPS's rated for medical applications. So why reinvent the wheel just get a power supply rated for your application. 
Test Equipment / Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Last post by Vince on Today at 08:40:55 pm »
I never heard of a 735 Tek scope ? Are you sure ?

Looks 100% to me like a bog standard 535 scope, an early one, pre-round cabinet.

Neither Google nor Tekwiki know of a 735 Tek tube scope, but I am all for learning new exciting stuff if it did actually exist !  8)

The 535 is good for 10MHz, 15MHz depending on serial number.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/535

The plug-in is easy, no room for error. It's a type 53B, good for 10MHz tops, it's even written on it, see your picture !  8)

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/B

EDIT : messages collided... OK so no mystery 735  then...
DP832.  Most used gen purpose power supply on the bench (out of a lot of power supplies).
Very short introduction, hopefully there will be more to come.
The housing and the very good workmanship also seem to be the same as the 2000X HD.
The front-end comparison is interesting in the sense that the 1000 can be adjusted manually using the trimmer Cs and the poti - whereas this is completely missing on the 2000.
Is that what the “FE Tweak Wizard” in the menu of the 2000X HD is for?
In any case, this seems to be something unique to the 2000X HD.
The 1000X HD doesn't have it, the 800X HD doesn't have it - and neither does the 3000X HD, just checked.
There's a lot of such services. Yes PCBWay does that, but also many companies dedicated to just 3D printing. A simple Google search should give heaps of links.
Why do you want to replace the capacitor?

It looks fine.

A friend of mine also has one of these actuators and his board got eaten away, more than mine, with saltwater dripping on it.  I made a replacement board, but need the cap!
If you're making your own board, then presumably you can change the footprint, so long as it's not too big for the case.

Have you measured the voltage across the capacitor? Does it actually get anywhere near 106V, the RMS voltage with a peak of 150V? As mentioned above, the voltage rating is probably selected for the size.

I would use two 68µF low ESR capacitors connected back-to-back, to form a 34µF non-polarised capacitor. Choose as larger case size as you possibly can, given the space constraints and voltage rating, which presumably doesn't need to be above 50V, although check first to be sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next