Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Test Equipment / Current Probe
« Last post by Hacked on Today at 05:39:44 pm »
Hello all,

I am looking to buy current probe for my analog discovery 1 (I will probably buy new scope next year) :)
I would mostly use it to hobby design smps and audio electronics.

Was looking at micsig current probes:
Micsig-CP2100A
https://www.batronix.com/shop/measurement/probes/Micsig-CP2100A.html

Micsig-CP2100B
https://www.batronix.com/shop/measurement/probes/Micsig-CP2100B.html

Micsig-CP503B
https://www.batronix.com/shop/measurement/probes/Micsig-CP503B.html

CP2100A has smallest bandwidth (800kH), but I remember that I was reading here that most CP2100A has better bandwidth than declared, closer to CP2100B. Don't know if this is still true.
Micsig-CP503B has best specs but also significant price increase :D
Would CP2100A be enough to see switching currents in 100kHz range?

Best Regards
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by Mechatrommer on Today at 05:36:37 pm »
For the screenshot below, a 1.6 Vpp signal has been used, i.e. it fills the screen height at lower frequencies such as 100 MHz.
from the screenshot, 0.2Vpp, so its 8X multiplication factor, ok i'm wrong. and i'm glad to know i'm wrong ;) (but this fact can also invalidate the claim made by some fans that sds800x is "properly BW limited" scope)

It sounds a little bit comical indeed when a 200 MHz instrument is demanded to “see” a 500 MHz signal.
No, not really ;)
But I'm still wondering how 490 MHz @1GSa/s and 10ns/div look like?
asking Sr / 2.04 maybe too much. i would say 450MHz (Sr / 2.22)

btw i'm with shapirus. at 2GSps single channel, there probably some 800MHz signal can be seen? at much higher multiplication factor, or probably its front end hackable, but that will be hardcore hack for anyone who seriously in need for it without spending 10K money.. since i already own a 2nd hand lecroy real scope, i'm not the one who need it, but if i want to waste some more money on entry level scope, i'll get sds800x, as i already stated many weeks  ago... cheers.
Hello,
due to having been infected by Zenwizard and NFM with a medium severe vintage-Tek-syndrome, I tried to get my hands on a Tektronix calibration set, consisting of a PG506A, TG501A and an SG503, which are quite hard to get here in Germany. Recently five years of waiting payed off and I was finally able to acquire a decommissioned set from an equipment rental service via Ebay in a TM503 in surprisingly well condition. However, a few repairs are needed and I have some questions that I hope will find some knowledgeable answers here. Also, documenting this repair here might help others with getting their units repaired. Since the units look like they are in factory condition(apart from some funny bodges), I will take some high quality pictures of the insides to put on Tekwiki later.

At first, it seemed to be impossible to remove the modules from the frame. They were stuck in the slots. To not break the pull tabs, I removed the TM503 top cover and cautiously levered the modules out by pushing from the back side. Is it normal, that the modules fit so tight into the connectors, that they require large forces to remove them?

Unfortunately, with the modules removed, one of the edge connector slots in the TM503 revealed to have a damaged contact spring, which was heavily bent and twisted and also damaged part of the green housing. Apparently someone had incautiously inserted a module, smashing the barrier key into the contact spring and killing the spring and the barrier key in the process. With much luck, I managed to bend the contact spring back using some dentist tools(see attached before and after image). Since I could not reach the lower inner part of the spring safely, something in there is still not correct, causing the spring to have way less spring force that the other contacts. I do not think, I can get in there to correct that without further damaging the contact spring. Does anyone know, if those spring contacts can be pulled out of the connector (when de-soldered) or are those injection molded into the socket and cannot be removed? That way it might be possible to correct its shape. Alternatively: is there a known source for replacement sockets, apart from killing another TM500 Frame to salvage one?

Apart from that, I had to replace the missing barrier key with a 3D-printed one, which came out quite nice on an FDM printer with a 0.25mm nozzle. If anyone needs the 3D-model, just drop me a note.

During trying to figure out, how the slot disaster could have happened, I noticed that the TM501A module in the respective slot did not lock in with a click. This was due to the hook of the locking mechanism being installed backwards(see image). Reversing the hook required disassembling the latch mechanism and loosening the front panel to get it right. Since the hook did not look like a replacement part, I am suspecting a factory fault here. So it looks like, the slightly raised module front in the inserted position due to the reversed hook may have caused the module to damage the connector.

After verifying that the pass elements in the frame were not shorted, I checked all voltages in the TM503 and they looked about right. Does anyone know what the expected ripple currents are on those rails? I could not find that in the specifications in the manual.

After the frame was checked, I ran a basic test on the three modules to discover that they were mostly working. The PG506A, however, showed some strange readings in standard and high amplitude mode. In standard amplitude mode, the DC voltages were only a little over half as high as expected and the high amplitude mode maxed out at about 30V. So I first checked the power rails in the module (5V, -16V, 16V, 120V, -72V) which were all spot on. I could trace back the strange readings in standard amplitude mode to a bad switch (S2020) in the unit. S2020 switches between a square wave and DC for calibration purposes and just needed some basic cleaning to get standard amplitude working again.

To find the fault in high amplitude mode, I searched the respective circuit, which I could not fully understand. My first clue was that the output resistance measured differently, depending on the polarity of the DC resistance measurement (604Ω in one direction, 502Ω the other way). Can anyone verify with another unit that this is indeed not normal? As far as I could see, the -72V rail was fine and setting the amplitude regulated the rail. So the voltage sensing in the high amplitude circuitry should be doing something useful. I put the amplitude on max and measured along the path on which, according to my understanding, -72V rail should feed the output. As can be seen in the attached image nothing too suspicious popped up, except that the drain of Q758 JFET dropped about 30V with respect to the source. Together with the output resistance measurement, I suspected a diode or transistor loading down the output and after some more measurements, the CR810 diode seemed to be the only candidate (and also the only diode in the circuit to show a diode drop in both directions in-circuit). Seeing the location and the voltage rating of the diode, it looks to me like a protection diode which prevents the -72V rail to exceed -80V. Is that for protecting the PG506A from outside threats or for protecting the outside from too much voltage in the PG506A? Unfortunately, the manual only states that CR810 is a silicon diode DA2737 with 80V and 75mA. The PG506 manual mentions an FDH1986 (possibly Fairchild) diode, and I could not find any known replacement types on the net. Does anyone know if this could be replaced with a 1N5282 general purpose diode (80V 200mA)? Does my lousy fault diagnosis sound plausible?

Thank you for reading this and for any helpful advice and comments.
I've seen a lot worse, and on significantly more expensive equipment.

On which one and what there was worse?
Repair / Krell phone stage - just in time
« Last post by cncjerry on Today at 05:31:44 pm »
I've had this Krell KPE powered on for 28yrs continuously.  I was cleaning around the phono and lifted the lid on the phono preamp stage and found this mess.  I'm surprised it was still working!  Also surprised the brown caps in the power supply stage are fine (will be replaced anyway) and these Spragues are all exploding and leaking.

I ordered vishay beyschlag/draloric/bc caps from Digikey.  I was just going to replace them with Spragues but you can't get the 30D types for a reasonable cost.  People are trying to sell them for $20 per.

Jerry
PCB/EDA/CAD / Re: JLCPCB alters soldermask without any notice
« Last post by Smokey on Today at 05:26:48 pm »
Layer Markers:
One thing I do is below the actual board layout, I add text with the layer name on the actual layer.
So "TOP COPPER" is actually text on the top copper layer.  Do that for all layers in a neat grid.  "TOP PASTE", "TOP MASK", etc.

This marks each layer with what that layer is right on the gerbers.  As long as it's outside the board outline, they will just cut all that off when they make the boards (like FAB notes and title block and all the other stuff they just cut out).

No more guessing what layer does what.

About the paste layer:
One thing to be careful of is that JLCPCB will make a paste stencil using whatever you give them on your paste layer.  So if you don't have your apertures right, they won't fix it for you.  This is a bit of a shock, especially if you only have outsourced stencils to assembly CMs previously.
Test Equipment / Re: Magnova oscilloscope
« Last post by Martin72 on Today at 05:26:08 pm »
That's right, that's what it says.
But what would be abnormal operation...
Computers / Re: Format a 256GB pendrive with FAT32 using a windows 10 pc
« Last post by Karel on Today at 05:22:23 pm »
Thank you everybody for the advice but Linux has already saved the day (and not for the first time).

I'm just puzzled why people sometimes say that windows is so easy to use for non-technical people.
Windows users are supposed to search around for random tools and click on some download link in order
to solve a problem? Or they need to go to a forum for assistance in order not to download and install some malware?
Or they need to start cmd.exe or powershell and enter some cryptic command?
Test Equipment / Re: SDS800X HD Wanted Features
« Last post by eTobey on Today at 05:22:08 pm »
Hopefully Siglent will have limited BW and only listen to the very few knowledgable folks, which we know who they are!!
I hope that not more bugs can be found as there were to be fixed after the new release. There obviously was some deficit in the past ...

History has shown world-wide pandemics occur about once every 100 years so you are safe.

That's a risky assumption; because A, always A. Living in the universe is inherently unsafe, probably best not to dwell on it too much, but take sensible precautions (wash your hands before eating, after using public transport etc)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next