Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: Corrosion on DIP pins
« Last post by Haenk on Today at 05:12:12 pm »
I would rather guess these have been reworked/replaced (maybe even in factory) with a different type of solder and flux has not been cleaned, most types of flux will corrode things over time.
You might want to check the caps as well, they don't seem to have leaked, but 50 years are 50 years - therefor they might have dried out.
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: Corrosion on DIP pins
« Last post by inse on Today at 05:11:07 pm »
Not sure whether it is rust or flux residue.
Why not brush the entire PCB with a stiff paintbrush and PCB cleaner?
If you are afraid of corrosion, you could apply conformal coating after completely overhauling the PCB.
Programming / Re: Linux Dependency Black Hole
« Last post by Siwastaja on Today at 05:06:27 pm »
Because their QA team tested it with this version of Python. And their support teams are ready to assist with this version of Python.

Yes. Using Python in the first place is usually a mistake, although no one got fired by using Python, so I guess it's used because it's popular. The problem with Python that fanboys fail to accept but which in actual reality hits nearly every project is that each version of Python breaks compatibility both backwards and forwards (you might not always notice if the project is very simple and thus not using many of the features, but something breaks every freaking time). It's not just Python2 vs. Python3, but really a moving target. You either target one exact Python version and require user to have that exact version, or you maintain your code all day long to match the newest version, and require user to keep updating their Python to the newest release as well. Or you use something as horrible as docker to distribute your software plus the correct Python version.

PSA to all who want to develop software:
 * Do not use bullcrap like Python or docker
 * Avoid dynamic linking, link statically if possible, and therefore:
 * Avoid library dependencies like plague;
 * Only use libraries to do very complex things, like OpenGL for 3D graphics

The danger of "just using a library" to do something as simple as formatting and sending a certain packet was demonstrated on the xz backdoor disaster.
Here is the UFG series tagline: "Rich sound in the bass register and clearer high end, most suited for AV equipment."
The best part in these is to write some vague fluff yet provide zero measurable specification difference compared to "usual" capacitors.
PDF
Test Equipment / Re: MSO2000 Application module hack
« Last post by Minsoon on Today at 05:03:05 pm »
Hi.~
I purchased mso2014 used only yesterday.
There is no logic probe option, so I plan to create this using artwork.
I received good help from eevblog about the Agilent 54831 hack before.
As expected, mso2014 information is also available here.
I upgraded to the latest version 1.56 today.

The serial port on the rear Side will also need to be made using a PCB.
Can I ask for the patched firmware for App-Module Hack?
thank you!.
Repair / Re: Desoldering advice
« Last post by KrudyZ on Today at 05:00:43 pm »
I don't get why you are trying to save the relay.
You can certainly test its function while soldered in place.
If it tests good, then it's not your problem.
If it's bad then just get it out by all means, the easiest is to deconstruct (destroy) it from the top by sawing grinding snipping whatever works.
Then you can work on each solder joint separately, which should be trivial.
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by shapirus on Today at 05:00:33 pm »
I'd love to play, but I don't have one of these scopes. I have an SDS2504X+ 500MHz scope.
Well, it would still be an interesting data point. What's the lowest samples/sec rate it can do? The idea is to set it to the lowest sampling rate and connect it to a source that outputs a frequency sweep in the range from ~20% to ~60% of the sampling rate.

We can then speculate if the Siglent's 800 HD series have the same wave reconstruction implementation as yours, or not :).

I can sweep up to 841MHz on my scope with the TinySA Ultra.
It can actually output up to 5.4 GHz (or at least so the specs say), but it switches from sine to square wave above 800 MHz.
Beginners / Re: Resistor ????
« Last post by Ian.M on Today at 04:59:35 pm »
blk-grey-blk-blk?

180?
The value wouldn't start with black unless the multiplier band was silver, and 180 would be BROWN grey black black.  The grey/silver band has a sheen to it that differs from the pigment bands so is probably metallic silver rather than grey.   Perhaps this color-balanced zoomed in view of it will help.

Its a tossup between:
   Brown (1) Black (0)  Black(0) Silver (/100) Black (???) = One ohm, with a mystery black final band (as black isn't a tolerance color)
and:
   Brown (1) Black (0)  Black(x1) Silver (10% Tol.) Black (250ppm TC) = Ten ohms, 10% tolerance 250ppm temperature coefficient.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next