Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Keep the PWM voltage between ground and whatever IO voltage your micro uses, e.g. 3.3V.
This is a simple RC filter to the non-inverting input of the OPAMP.
Then put the gain into the OPAMP wiring it up as a non-inverting amplifier.
Resistor between the inverting input and ground, e.g.10k and one between the inverting input and the output (20k).
This will give you 0 - 9.9 V nominal on the output.
My understanding from the datasheet is that SMTC-0185 would have 357 °C temp, whereas the STTC-136 would have 413 °C. My Hakko is set to 350 °C.
The tip that works at 413 °C apart from struggling to melt solder, also burnt the flux.
Always solder the capacitors directly on the pins.
Don't you see the solder bridge in pin 12?
This sum looks bad on the surface, but it is actually convergent for all polynomial transfer functions. It is pretty easy to convince yourself of why this would be. For a polynomial transfer function, the corrected sum error function has coefficients of 0 for the constant, linear, and quadratic terms. Because the kth term of the sum is  (2^k) * E_sc(x / (2^k)), so if E_sc = x^3, the term reduces to x/(2^2k). If, however, there is a linear term, then the kth term just reduces to x, and the sum obviously diverges. This gives a simple test for whether the sum diverges. If you can approximate the corrected sum error function as a Maclaurin series for an arbitrarily small domain centered around zero, then the coefficient of the linear term of the Maclaurin expansion is the the first derivative at zero. So, if the first derivative of the corrected sum error function at zero is zero, the sum will converge.

The thing is, if over some domain centered on zero you can approximate the transfer function error as a Maclaurin series, the corrected sum error will have a first derivative of zero at zero because it always has coefficients of zero for the constant, linear, and quadratic terms. Also, as you approach zero, the cubic term in the corrected sum error is dominant, and for a E_sc(x) = x^3, this sum equals (4/3)*E_sc(x). In fact, for any polynomial fit term Ax^n in E_sc(x), this sum will be equal to A*(2^(n-1))/(2^(n-1) - 1)*x^n. So you can do a polynomial fit over part of the domain of the sum error function and use that to avoid infinite recursion.

I am looking at using a bipolar sum error to marginally reduce the sensitivity to error near zero. The error term is (V(DAC,GND) - V(GND,DAC)) - (V(DAC,CT) - V(CT,DAC) + V(CT,GND) - V(GND,CT)). I'll also take a closer look at the topology near zero. I should include that even with my spline fitted sum error function without the correction factor, the shape of the transfer function converged around five terms in the sum, and I could not differentiate the plots between six and 20 terms by eye, which is good enough when the limits of the vertical axes are less than 200 ppb fs.

E(v) = E_t(v) + sum(i = 0 to inf)( (2^i) * Esc(v / (2^i))
Sorry for my late response. I came to the same equation seems the begin of exploring the idea of R-R divider idea. 
The equation itself speak for fundamental limitation of algorithm, even if if is quite easy to implement in recursive software  algorithm.
I suspended any HW development until I'm satisfied with sim results.
I was playing with idea of combining of multiple Sum=0 divider based on 1*R/1*R    n*R/m*R.
I have tried applying  Kalman filter to mitigate disadvantages between different resistor divider configurations. I'm still not satisfieed with results. There many parameters. Just to mention few of them  error sensitivity, calibration points coverage, measurement time. sensitivity for temperature and time  drifts.
I'm almost at he point to give up the idea of multiple divider ratios.
What is next - I'm considering to explore the initial idea from Echo88 and  use DAC + resistive string or not DAC at all

With regards to the ideal topology for a source like this, I haven't compared the math between this and the string DAC, but I can say for noise, the limiting factor is definitely the DUT with the design I am using. Rod White at New Zealand's NMI has published some work about using a similar principle but with various series and parallel combinations of four resistors to measure linearity errors of bridges for resistance thermometry down to the 100 ppb level, and this might be worth checking out for ideas.

Developing the HW for this was really not that much work, I think the total time I spent was around a week. I believe that having a prototype, potentially with the ability to implement different methods of testing linearity, is probably going to yield more productive results at a certain point. Given the simplicity of the actual schemes, having tested this board, I would say the best way of approaching the design is to implement all of them on one board. Actually, if you just feed the string DAC with an IC DAC, that gives you all everything you need, and you can test all three of those possibilities. Just add a handful of muxes, an MCU with isolated UART to USB, and a reference, and that's it. If I were going to make this again, I would probably also include something where the DAC voltage bootstraps a, say, 2V048 or 2V5 reference, which feeds a divider between itself and the DAC voltage. Then you could calculate the sum error by measuring the bias voltage and the other components of the sum, so you would be getting something like 8, 9, 1, and 10 V for bias, the two centertap readings, and the total, respectively. This would be useful to be able to probe the average concavity around zero without needing to use points in the sum that are spaced very close together. It would give similar information to that available with the string DAC but with better resolution. Imperfect CMRR for the bootstrapped reference would just give horizontal scale compression. Whatever your design, I would recommend being able to bias with bipolar references to cancel out residual thermocouple errors. Also, the DAC11001 is overkill, but that's not really news.
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Last post by rolfdegen on Today at 05:08:59 pm »
I have installed Keysight Bench but it doesn't work :( Is there no alternative to old EasyDMM software. EasyDMM doesn't have a modern look. It looks like software from the Stone Age of Windows :(
Just some thoughts:

Pops has a DC motor driven lathe, humble Myford ML7. The controller is an old Fenner Speedranger, that is a three phase thyristor job but the principles are transferable.

We built a controller that sensed the DC supply to the motor and the control signal to the Speedranger, it was basically a scaled comparator that would drop out the no volt release if it 'saw' excess output, over controller input.

Purely analog.

The reason it was necessary was that one time the 3 Thyristors in the Fenner failed dead short, which is the kind of rare scenario that I understand the op is concerned about.

As for the emergency stop safety switch, an unfortunately named dead man foot bar must be the best choice IMHO for a lathe.

Regards,
Xena.
Actually after rewiring the Uart to Tx/Rx = PA9/PA10 :
- i do get garbage on the Terminal - if I click the Reset pin.
Wihich shows that the Ch32v203 is booting some with a bad speed, then crashing (stops because no Led blink).
@madires - Hello, I have this clone (mega328 - DIP package) bought from Aliexpress in 2021 - see the attached file. I have tried the lastest 1.52m firmware and I got only a strange number(s) on the first line and that it is all. Any ideea what could be wrong? The clone was dead since some time - took a blast from a not so discharged cap.. :-) - The MCU dead, the protection device SRV5-04 also gone.. All replaced, but still no luck. Using another firmware - a previous version could not remmember which one - I got this (looks like an address maybe?)

006BCF:1000E004

Tried with a second MCU but got into the same issue. What I am missing here?

Thank you.
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDS800X HD Review & Demonstration Thread
« Last post by Martin72 on Today at 05:06:22 pm »
Hi,
What is that source-signal in your last post?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next