Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Programming / Re: Linux Dependency Black Hole
« Last post by mag_therm on Today at 01:10:01 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging replies.

The software project I did was actually the largest  single project of my whole engineering career,
It is a numerical simulation of electro thermal process.
Took more than 5 years for me to develop, about 350 k lines of code and uses multi core parallel processing.
Trips around the world to various steel processing plants to measure and verify the accuracy.

At the start I intended multi platform and was going to use C.

Due to deployment and maintenance world wide and expected life of 20 years,
I looked at various "friendly" IDE and eventually selected Xojo.
There were to be no dependencies and the whole application was to be in user's space.
I used a pro programmers initially to do the GUIs and the sqlite.
And client's engineers assisted with scada/plc interfaces

Fairly early in the project, having trouble, we decided to abandon multi platform and just use linux.
We were fortunate that the original code and graphics continued to function over many Xojo updates from 2008 to 2019.
 But in 2019 XoJo did major changes to graphics and so we also had to do an update taking a few months

I suppose that is how I came to dislike dependencies and to rely on IDE !

And yes, I am partly doing this HackRF1 firmware job to try to keep up to date, as well as hopefully improving the FOSS firmware.
Anyone has any clue where you could get the Tiny1-C 256x192 infrared module without the rest of the dongle?

I have seen cheap dongles that contain it, but when i try to look for actual module without anything else, the price goes up like it just spotted a spider on a toilet chair.
General Technical Chat / Re: Cable Management
« Last post by Wallace Gasiewicz on Today at 01:06:52 pm »
I use something like nfmax.  I use storage bags and put them into expandable files. These are the ones for paper files and kinda resemble accordions..
Thanks for sharing, definitely will have a look!

Also, 150mm f/1 IR lens? That cost like arm and a leg.  :o
Beginners / Re: uCurrent Gold Schematic
« Last post by xvr on Today at 12:57:45 pm »
Remove Q1 from programming circuitry - it was originated in ESP8266 and blindly migrated to ESP32 by some 'clever' Chinese engineer (or student, I don't sure). For ESP32 it really prevent it from programming at all.
And consider take ESP32-S3 or ESP32-C6 based modules. They have on-board USB-to-JTAG adapter and do not required external programming circuitry
must electrically insulate windings(so that vibration and dirt). other thing is esthetics
General Technical Chat / Re: The strange case of phase angles
« Last post by Andy Watson on Today at 12:54:55 pm »
The impedance of the capacitor should be combined with the impedance of the inductor in parallel; you appear to have combined them in series.
Test Equipment / Re: New 2ch pocket DSO+SG - Zeeweii DSO2512G
« Last post by tunk on Today at 12:50:53 pm »
FY3224s has quite good precision (frequency response) up to 10MHz / 10V, but is not very accurate, i.e. the multimeter shows slightly different values in certain voltage ranges from what is set on the FY3224s.
It may be caused by the multimeter - multimeters also have a frequency range.
Beginners / Re: Convert US standard 115V to International 230V
« Last post by tooki on Today at 12:45:55 pm »
Somehow we need to get through to you that you have got to be more receptive to feedback and more accepting of others’ expertise, and to make a real effort to read carefully and thoroughly before responding to threads.

I don't know why you decided that I don't listen to feedback. […]
Because you don’t, and that entire reply is proof of this. You just bark back, but never accept responsibility for mistakes, nor accept that others are correct. Look at the part of my sentence above that is in italics. (And which was in italics in the original.)

Your first reply in this thread, long after OP had listed the part numbers of the power supplies used, you suggested 1. using a motor-generator set, and 2. to consider switching to an SMPS inside.

Both of those suggestions are completely irrelevant and useless at that point in the discussion because it had already been established that it uses two universal-input SMPSs. This shows you did NOT read the discussion before replying. When this was pointed out to you, you responded that the total power didn’t add up, even though this also had already been explained in the prior discussion. Rather than just saying “oh crap, sorry, I responded before reading everything” or “my apologies, you’re right, I missed that detail when reading” (which are things that happen to ALL of us!), you just keep digging and digging for why you can’t possibly be wrong… And that’s why people (plural) got annoyed, and expressed that.
Unless by “anywhere”, you mean on a more microscopic level as it applies to my original question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next