Author Topic: MDO3000 hacking  (Read 156661 times)

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lern01

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 149
  • Country: cn
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2023, 02:43:29 am »
copyright violation? the keygenerator has been NOT developed by Tektronix, so how can they claim that?

The AES key and option keys/values are in clear text visible, there is no need to "reverse" anything, therefore nothing
what one could "protect with anti-reverse copyright" whatsoever crap.

It is funny that Tektronix is veeeeery slow when goes to GPL violation or GPL source publishing, but that fast to claim
copyright on code that they haven't developed. There are keygen sources inside, not a single line belongs to Tektronix.


Does DPO3000 series work?

 

Offline lern01

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 149
  • Country: cn
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2023, 09:25:24 am »
You need to have Python installed on your PC.

Skip the validate.py step, it's unnecessary.

On your PC, use gen.py with, as arguments, your scope model and serial number along with the wanted bandwidth and options.

python gen.py <model> <serial> <bandwidth> <options>


My python2.7, running according to the format described, appears the following situation, what is the reason? Thank you!


« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:06:24 am by lern01 »
 

Offline ken246810

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2023, 09:18:03 pm »
Dammed if I can get this to work but then I have never used python before, i want to open up my MDO3034 :palm:
 

Offline ikkeharry

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: nl
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2024, 08:00:40 pm »
Question, where can I get the needed Python script?
I cannot find it. Please can you give me a hint where to  get it?
Thanks!
 

Offline mk_

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 257
  • Country: at
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2024, 09:16:46 pm »
Question, where can I get the needed Python script?
I cannot find it. Please can you give me a hint where to  get it?
Thanks!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mdo3000-hacking/msg485114/#msg485114
 
The following users thanked this post: ikkeharry

Offline dmderev

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 39
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2024, 12:47:25 am »
Did anyone confirm that TEK LA cables are lossy? There are two types of probes in TEK list - active probes have a bit thicker wires and are for sure just non-lossy gang coaxial cables, and there are also thinner passive probes. Are the latter lossy? Anyone measured parameters? Or any references to their design?
 

Offline Howardlong

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5520
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2024, 02:05:45 pm »
Did anyone confirm that TEK LA cables are lossy? There are two types of probes in TEK list - active probes have a bit thicker wires and are for sure just non-lossy gang coaxial cables, and there are also thinner passive probes. Are the latter lossy? Anyone measured parameters? Or any references to their design?

Here you go https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mdo3000-hacking/msg765377/#msg765377
 

Offline 44kgk1lkf6u

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 151
  • Country: 00
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2024, 02:36:03 am »
You might even get away with fabricating an entire probe, but that inline resistance is in there for a reason, there's a really old Tek document about it somewhere that I can't locate right now, but it's also covered here http://www.dfad.com.au/links/THE%20SECRET%20WORLD%20OF%20PROBES%20OCt09.pdf.

There is a Circuit Concepts series.  Page 15 of volume Oscilloscope Probe Circuits talks about the lossy cable.

I don't know if the Agilent/Keysight probes have this distributed resistance too, they do have a fancy woven cable on the two examples I have so I wouldn't be surprised.

It looks like they also use lossy cables.  I searched on the web and found this in the 16557D logic analyzer card service manual.

Quote
The probe tip networks comprise a series of resistors (250 Ohm) connected to a parallel combination of a 90 KΩ resistor and a 8.5 pF capacitor.  The parallel 90 KΩ and 8.5 pF capacitor along with the lossy cable and terminations form a divide-by-ten probe system.  The 250-Ohm tip resistor is used to buffer (or raise the impedance of) the 8.5 pF capacitor that is in series with the cable capacitance.
 

Offline mgonee

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: kr
  • Have a great day..!
    • The Pale Blue Dot.
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2024, 07:38:29 am »
hello.
I tried to do this but without success.

python gen.py MDO3012 C024186 500MHz AERO AFG AUDIO AUTOMAX COMP DVM EMBD FLEX LMT MSO PWR SA USB VID AUTO SEC

Could you please help me.
Thank you very much.

 

Offline Evan.Cornell

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 189
  • Country: us
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2024, 04:02:28 pm »
I had to use python2 instead of python3 when doing this.
 

Offline skander36

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 970
  • Country: ro
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2024, 04:30:56 pm »
In the mdo3evalpkg archive, folder gen must contain compiled version: gen.exe.
For me running command "./gen.py MDO3012 C024186 500MHz AERO AFG AUDIO AUTOMAX COMP DVM EMBD FLEX LMT MSO PWR SA USB VID AUTO SEC" give the result key:

EMCRY-AALYN-6BASY-62RB3-RS5RB-H

 

Offline Alinc

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: ro
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2024, 06:28:15 am »

took me about 3 hours to figure how the generator works. all options activated on MDO3024 with 1.26sw
« Last Edit: December 21, 2024, 06:42:54 am by Alinc »
 

Offline WD40

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2025, 09:40:13 am »
Is there a way to determine how many on / off cycles or hours powered up with this series of scope? I am not seeing an obvious option in the menus... Thanks
 

Offline TopLoser

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1959
  • Country: fr
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2025, 01:27:13 am »
Self test menu certainly shows number of power cycles.

Pretty sure there is a power on hours counter lurking somewhere as well, I've had about a dozen of the bloody things.

I've got an MDO3104 here new in box with 3 power cycles and I'm not going to increase it just to check!
 

Offline analogRF

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1106
  • Country: ca
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2025, 01:30:34 am »
in all tek scopes from TDS3000 to DPO/MSO/MDO3000 and MDO/MSO/DPO4000/B/C
the hours and power on always show on the top of error log screen
 
The following users thanked this post: WD40

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31961
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2025, 02:11:38 am »
in all tek scopes from TDS3000 to DPO/MSO/MDO3000 and MDO/MSO/DPO4000/B/C
the hours and power on always show on the top of error log screen
And IIRC the TDS2000B also.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: WD40

Offline mk_

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 257
  • Country: at
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2025, 06:05:04 am »
 
The following users thanked this post: TopLoser, jack-daniels

Offline WD40

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2025, 04:21:22 pm »
Thanks. My MDO3000 has 1480 power-ups and 18109 hours of use. The weird thing about it is that the previous owner didn't bother to claim the DVM module, so it didn't have the feature. I wonder where it came from?
 

Offline TopLoser

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 1959
  • Country: fr
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2025, 02:29:40 am »
Thank you mk_ !

Slowly getting back on track after the 'Big Brexit Breakup' and my move to France.

I have things under my desk that need selling to fund renovation work....
 
The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, jack-daniels

Offline Howardlong

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5520
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2025, 01:32:41 pm »
Self test menu certainly shows number of power cycles.

Pretty sure there is a power on hours counter lurking somewhere as well, I've had about a dozen of the bloody things.


Yes, it's here:



Quote
I've got an MDO3104 here new in box with 3 power cycles and I'm not going to increase it just to check!

Might be interested, PM me if still available.
 

Offline pgugi

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2025, 08:40:59 pm »
Hi, I have FW 1.24 and I generate the code , oscilloscope accept it without error but it says there is nothing to add?
 

Offline Howardlong

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5520
  • Country: gb
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2025, 09:11:43 am »
When you restart the scope after adding the key, what is on the Utility => About => Application Modules and Instrument Options?

Presumably it accepted your key?



 

Offline clepenji1150

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: in
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2026, 12:08:46 am »
I have to say, I am gen-z and this is my first time in a community forum on a boomer-ass website. But man it was fun reading through the thread! Glad to say this hack still works.  :scared:

I dug out an old MDO3012 in my college club space; updated the firmware to 1.30 and then tried the hack. It worked!!  :-+

PS dw if you don't have an option key for validate.py. Just go to Utility>About>Application Modules/Instrument Options. This and readme2 should be sufficient for you to figure out what to do.  :rant:
 

Offline zhongzuocheng520

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 23
  • Country: cn
Re: MDO3000 hacking
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2026, 03:50:18 am »
How can this problem be solved? Does anyone know, big shots?
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->