Author Topic: Siglent SDS3000X HD and upgraded SDS1000X HD  (Read 48920 times)

Martin72 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Siglent SDS3000X HD and upgraded SDS1000X HD
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2023, 12:11:16 pm »
At least there is already a "placeholder" on the Chinese website.
Possibly an answer to Rigol's DHO800/900 after all... We don't know, maybe nothing will come at all. ;)
Today I discover otherwise.

We will see SDS800X HD quite soon.
Is it a portable scope like the other 800 series?
It would be really nice if not everything would be called exactly the same, I mean there is 4 different 1000 series scope from Siglent now.

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2023, 02:21:27 pm »
Siglent's naming convention annoys me too. Why do they now need two suffixes for all the scope models (X, X plus, X HD)? Why not encode some family information in the prefix, instead of the "it's a scope" standard SDS prefix? The current naming convention leads to all kinds of false-positive hits on Google which actually refer to different product lines.

Its not only the naming (why is the SDS6000 Pro no "HD" / SDS7000A 12bits also no "HD") its also this grey (SDS2000X-HD/SDS6000A)  -black (all other HD & SDS7000A) design.

Kind of confusing...

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2023, 11:26:01 pm »
Kind of confusing...

They're probably waiting to see which design change gets the least amount of complaints. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Ulrich.G

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2023, 12:04:33 am »
Its not only the naming (why is the SDS6000 Pro no "HD" / SDS7000A 12bits also no "HD") its also this grey (SDS2000X-HD/SDS6000A)  -black (all other HD & SDS7000A) design.
Kind of confusing...

The confusion is due to the fact that we can see all markets, Chinese and global, although only one is actually interesting.
The "A" in 6000A and 7000A indicates the "Pro line", while the "X" represents the consumer line.
1000X, 2000X, 3000X, 5000X, 6000A, 7000A.
Until now, you could read the sample rate from this.
1GSa/s =1000, 2 GSa/s = 2000, 4 GSa/s =3000, 5 GSa/s = 5000, 10GSa/s = 6000, 20GSa/s = 7000.
There are several 6000A variants on the Chinese market, which is why they are called differently there.
6000pro H10, H12, for example, depending on the (calibrated) resolution.
"We" only have the 8 bit version and that is called 6000A.
There don't seem to be any variants of the latest absolute top model, which is why it is called 7000A everywhere.
For the 1000X and 2000X models there are 12 bit variants, hence 1000X HD and 2000X HD.
So that you don't confuse the latest smallest 12 bit variant with the 1000X HD, it is called 800X HD.
At least that's how I figure it.
Nevertheless, there are two illogical cases.
Because the 800X HD and the (newly revised) 1000X HD have max. 2GSa/s.
That's probably why the black housing to differentiate them.
Why then the 7000A also has a black housing...Oh man, I feel confused right now too ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 12:30:30 am by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Mortymore, Ulrich.G

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2023, 12:17:32 am »
Martin, the odd one out is your SDS2000X HD when all other 12 bit models will be black.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2023, 12:31:36 am »
Thank you Rob for crushing down my build of thoughts... :P ;D

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2023, 01:32:02 am »
Thank you Rob for crushing down my build of thoughts... :P ;D
You're welcome.  ;D

Rather than be different.....a SDS3000X HD will fix that.  8)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2023, 08:52:26 am »
Black housings are just time mark. They started appearing after SDSD2000X HD was released.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2023, 10:33:08 am »
"We" only have the 8 bit version and that is called 6000A.
There don't seem to be any variants of the latest absolute top model, which is why it is called 7000A everywhere.
In fact its full designation is "SDS7000A H12", according to the data sheet. But since there will be no variant with less than 12 bits, the "H12" term will probably be omitted.

Nevertheless, there are two illogical cases.
Because the 800X HD and the (newly revised) 1000X HD have max. 2GSa/s.
That's probably why the black housing to differentiate them.
Why then the 7000A also has a black housing...Oh man, I feel confused right now too ;D
Yes - as you could see, the 1000X HD was planned with max. 1 GSa/s initially, but with only a single ADC for 4 channels, which is a novum for Siglent scopes (except the rather meaningless SDS1000X-U). At one point it must have dawned to Siglent product management, that the equivalent of 2 x 1 GSa/s can only be 1 x 2 GSa/s ;)

So all in all, the ranking should be correct: 4 x 500 MSa/s in the 1000 class, 4 x 1 GSa/s for the 2000 series.

Regarding the color, it's just a matter of fashion. Siglent  dosn't follow each new trend immediately (and I personally like that!), but eventually quite obviously couldn't resist any longer. So it's just a matter of release date what color an instrument gets.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2023, 10:53:16 am »

In that price class they should offer customized color schemes :)

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2023, 03:13:15 pm »
If I have possibility to select color scheme  if Siglent sell both colors and buyer can select...

Here is light grey and dark grey/graphite.

I do not think even one second if I can select... and then other... I do not like "horrible" pink channel trace color what user can not even change..

But yes my selection is of course left one. But we are personal individuals...  why we can not select color. I can select even shoes and shirt color and my coffee cup, my car, my many other things... please give us even these two colors  for select... Or sell color change kit...

But yes I guess,  Santa Claus is deaf and blind.  :-DD

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 03:15:21 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2023, 03:28:08 pm »
I guess I'm one of the weirdos that prefer the darker scheme, but ideally only if it matches the rest of my gear so it doesn't just stick out like a sore thumb. Since the rest of my gear, other than one small bench SMPS, is the archaic boring white color, then I reluctantly would prefer the same for new gear. If I had a chance to replace it ALL, then I'd definitely prefer the dark color.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2023, 04:42:34 pm »
I don't know if it's just the product photography with bright studio lights and high color temperature, but none of my Sigent gear looks anything like in that photo. It is a very decent beige color and when you place a white sheet of paper next to it, it's a difference like day and night. This beige is easy on the eyes and probaly not by accident that it's the standard color for office furniture.

If the Instrument was actually pure white (like some Apple products in the past), I would prefer the darker gray over white too.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2023, 04:54:03 pm »
I personally don't dislike black, aesthetically speaking, as my computers, printers, monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc are all black and I'm fine with that.
I haven't found the DSOX1204 particularly problematic either, but the lighter colour of the rest of my equipment (GWInstek and older Keysight) is certainly easier on the eyes, and the buttons are also easier to read.
This would be the last thing impacting my purchase decision, but I would certainly buy beige rather than black.
Black text over white is just better for the eyes than white text over black, and that's a fact. "Cheap appearance" is a fundamentally subjective appreciation (unless the finish falls apart, and then black won't help either).

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2023, 05:52:27 pm »
If I have possibility to select color scheme  if Siglent sell both colors and buyer can select...

I want a red one, because everybody knows red scopes go faster!
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2023, 06:31:11 pm »
Since all our newer Lecroy scopes are black, I've gotten used to it by now and wouldn't have a problem if the 3000X HD came in "dark".
Even if it would clash visually with the rest of my equipment. ;)

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2023, 07:15:30 pm »
The advantage of black is that will remain black.
The white will go yellow sooner or latter.

So I don't mind if it's black. Will look as new for a much longer time.

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2023, 06:13:24 am »
I'm just glad that Apple is not designing scopes, otherwise it would be in a silver aluminium case with no buttons at all, but one proprietary input, incompatible to everything else. The first scope on the market with a HD camera and a heartbeat monitor. On the other side - the display would be just amazing...

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2023, 07:11:19 am »

I have some experience with this. But the time is so short with the Siglent devices that I don't know how it will go in the long term at least.
I have a Siglent (SDG5000) here that is over 10 years old and when I compare it a lot with some new Siglent SDG and other products I can't detect any discoloration. I also look at these in a different light... no, I don't see any change. I don't have a high quality color analyzer, but my eyes are very sensitive to color, sometimes I feel it's too sensitive.

But yes, if the air is not clear, if there are some bad pollutants like for example cigarette smoke (or many other possible things), they can affect the colors very quickly and deeply... and no way to clean. I remember one project when I was trying to clean old Tektronix and HP front panels... some of them have been in a room where stupid peoples smoke...(never ever smoke in electronics lab!)  no way to clean because it's absorbed into the plastic or paint layer. (It also may do bad things in some sensitive contacts etc) Also This smell also never goes away...no matter if it's a light or black color. Black(dark) color just hides dirt from the eyes, except dust what is extremely visible on black. (also other smoke ruins many other things (not only color) and not just cigarette smoke...also industrial smoke and house heating smoke and ancient smoke cars and other motor vehicles).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:17:14 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2023, 07:51:11 am »

I have some experience with this. But the time is so short with the Siglent devices that I don't know how it will go in the long term at least.
I have a Siglent (SDG5000) here that is over 10 years old and when I compare it a lot with some new Siglent SDG and other products I can't detect any discoloration. I also look at these in a different light... no, I don't see any change. I don't have a high quality color analyzer, but my eyes are very sensitive to color, sometimes I feel it's too sensitive.

But yes, if the air is not clear, if there are some bad pollutants like for example cigarette smoke (or many other possible things), they can affect the colors very quickly and deeply... and no way to clean. I remember one project when I was trying to clean old Tektronix and HP front panels... some of them have been in a room where stupid peoples smoke...(never ever smoke in electronics lab!)  no way to clean because it's absorbed into the plastic or paint layer. (It also may do bad things in some sensitive contacts etc) Also This smell also never goes away...no matter if it's a light or black color. Black(dark) color just hides dirt from the eyes, except dust what is extremely visible on black. (also other smoke ruins many other things (not only color) and not just cigarette smoke...also industrial smoke and house heating smoke and ancient smoke cars and other motor vehicles).

You are right about smoking. I hate the smoking smell in a room or the electronic devices smelling like that.

I was thinking at plastic material reaction at UV component from sun's light. White plastic goes yellow because it was exposed to sun light.
In a closed lab, without the sun light, it is possible to avoid this.

I keep my devices clean, but if will stay longer near the window, the exposed side become yellow. Maybe the present plastic is not so reactive at UV.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2023, 08:08:21 am »

You are right about smoking. I hate the smoking smell in a room or the electronic devices smelling like that.

I was thinking at plastic material reaction at UV component from sun's light. White plastic goes yellow because it was exposed to sun light.
In a closed lab, without the sun light, it is possible to avoid this.

I keep my devices clean, but if will stay longer near the window, the exposed side become yellow. Maybe the present plastic is not so reactive at UV.

Modern glass on windows blocks UV quite well. Especially if you have thermal 2/3 panes glass sandwich.
You would need to keep equipment right next to open window on south side of house to have significant impact. Which you don't want to do where I live, because in summer it is too hot....

I don't remember seeing much of the lab equipment damaged by sun, but have seen few handheld meters damaged by sun...
Plastic gets discolorated, dry and gets brittle, rubber boots gets dry and crumble...

But cigarettes, damage from those I've seen plenty.  And darn cigarette tar gets inside and contaminates everything.. Not to mention how air filters smell like septic tank... Horrible thing. I for one like that smoking is not so popular anymore...

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2024, 01:02:15 am »
Happy new year to everyone..
So, Q1/24* has now started.
What will come, the 1000 or the 800?
I've already made up my mind and would be very surprised if it turned out differently. ;)

*(As a reminder, Siglent EU, i.e. not a user, had "said" that a 12-bit entry-level scope would be coming in Q1/24)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2024, 05:43:09 am »
Happy New Year!

Q1...so some time in late March? 😉

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2024, 10:24:03 am »
Happy New Year!

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf