Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 828361 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Does anybody know what kind of logic probe is suitable for RTB2004 ?
I assume there is no one in promo package (only software option is enabled)
and this is not just a straight 250MHz wires ... :-)
Why would you assume it wouldn't be included? It's sold as a MSO.
 On the RTO, the probe has the comparators and LVDS drivers to send a differential signal over the ribbon.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline pm.llb

• Contributor
Why would you assume it wouldn't be included? It's sold as a MSO.
 On the RTO, the probe has the comparators and LVDS drivers to send a differential signal over the ribbon.

Maybe it's a little overthink of myself but tequipment says clearly that there are:

What's In The Box
(1) RTB2004 Digital oscilloscope (70 MHz 4 channel)
(1) RTB-B243 Upgrade of R&S RTB2004 oscilloscope to 300 MHz bandwidth
(1) RTB-B1 Mixed Signal Upgrade for non-MSO models (250 MHz)
(1) RTB-B6 ARB Generator
(1) RTB-K1 I2C/SPI Trigger and Decode
(1) RTB-K2 UART/RS232 Trigger and Decode
(1) RTB-K3 CAN/LIN Trigger and Decode
(1) RTB-K15 History and Segment Meomry
(1) RT-ZP03 300 MHz/10 MHz, 10:1/1:1, 10 M?/1 M?, 400 V, 12 pF/82 pF Single-ended Passive Probe
(1) Power Cord

I've found that some other source say 4 Analog probes so I hope (1) does not mean one piece of ... in this case. But I can't found pictures/spec etc. what does RTB-B1 include. I've spoke to one of the distributors and he was very uncetrain about those logic probe. I feelt that he do not want to say for potential buyer that there is none.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:31:35 am by pm.llb »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra

I've found that some other source say 4 Analog probes so I hope (1) does not mean one piece of ... in this case. But I can't found pictures/spec etc. what does RTB-B1 include. I've spoke to one of the distributors and he was very uncetrain about those logic probe. I feelt that he do not want to say for potential buyer that there is none.

R&S is saying here, that the basic model RTB2004 - 70MHz comes with four probes:                          edit: typo
https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/RTB2000_bro_en_3607-4270-12_v0300.pdf    ---   see page 13

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:23:35 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: pm.llb

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Typically, an mso upgrade includes probes and a some kind of entitlement to generate a license key on the R&S website. However, in the case of this special offer, since the distributiors have 4 weeks lead time, maybe they're factory special packed. None of the scopes comes with the logic pods per default unless you buy the option at the time of purchase.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:21:03 am by Neganur »

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Something that makes me wonder is that all the listed accessory probes (current probes, HV diff probes etc.) are 50 ohm. Free feed through terminator included ...?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Incoming!
Let me know any specific questions. At show today so can't play til later.

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Offline pm.llb

• Contributor
Incoming!

Unboxing. What is in the package ?

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
*sigh* So jealous.
Can't wait for the vid.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Incoming!
Why does that mirror have knobs on the side?

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
huh. looked nicer in photo/other video

Offline stuartk

• Regular Contributor
I purchased my scope from TestForce here in Canada.

According to them the MSO logic probes are included.

I reviewed the R&S website. There is no option to purchase logic probes or logic pods separately from the MSO option.

I thinks it's reasonable to conclude that the logic probe comes with the MSO option.

If it doesn't, R&S will have a lot of very unhappy customers.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Incoming!

Does the UI work smothly, and does the display, typically, update at a decent rate? How are the decoding functions?

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
I asked R&S UK about the MSO and the person I spoke with was under the impression the digital probes are not included. I would try and clarify this because it is an expensive addition.

Offline Skagit

Testequity states under the Mixed Signal Option:

"Rohde & Schwarz RTB-B1.02 Mixed Signal Option (250 MHz)
 Adds 16 digital channels (hardware option). (1333.1105.02)  "

Which would point to the logic probes being included in that option. I believe the hmo series doesn't require you to unlock the LA feature, you just need to plug the probes in. It looks like the RTB is the same way.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
Cancelled my Tequipment order
« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »
Nevermind.  :) I've spoken with Tequipment this morning and cancelled the cancellation. I'm even buying a second one from another vendor.  Good work R&S on this scope!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:27:49 pm by agdr »

Offline corn11

• Regular Contributor
Does the UI work smothly, and does the display, typically, update at a decent rate? How are the decoding functions?

Thats also one of my major concerns. I've really hated my DS1054Z for the slowish UI.

Altough the KS DSOX2K series is realtively old now, the 30%-off trade-in deal looks kind of appealing to me and the special RTB deal even more but not at the european price point  |O. On the other hand KS might release the successor of the DSOX2K earlier than before to compete against the RTB ?

So the question is, is the RTB2004 base model (without any options) worth considering when you could get a DSO-X2004A for ~600€ less (ex. VAT) (also hackable) or is it maybe better to wait for while ? :-//

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
On the other hand KS might release the successor of the DSOX2K earlier than before to compete against the RTB ?

buit with what? a new asic they haven't even introduced yet? i'd rather put my money on a keysight dsox-2000T
AFAIR there are some things the dsox2000 can't do, like trigger on MSO and multi-channel pattern generator.
wether you need them is another story
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:04:46 pm by JPortici »

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Sorry for being late to the party - I had the guy in my hands at embeddedworld:

I am not going to grab it. Multiple reasons:
a) Shit expensive options
b) The scope is real small
c) The pattern generator is lobotomized
d) the "Menu bar" at the right hand of the screen is very sleek

Tam
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline JanJansen

• Frequent Contributor
http://www.datatec.de/Rohde-Schwarz-RTB2004-Oszilloskop.htm

EUR 1900.-- + VAT
It is interesting that this website lists Hameg MSO probes as an acessoiry. I think there is more Hameg under the hood than R&S. I hope this scope has the BNCs bolted to the front and the PCB properly fixed to the chassis unlike the cheaply built Hameg scopes.

edit: OMG: they use ribbon cable for the MSO probes which cost over 300 euro each:

:palm:
aliexpress parachute

Offline NA5WH

• Contributor
Re: Cancelled my Tequipment order
« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2017, 04:47:58 pm »
Well it looks like this one isn't going to happen.  >:(  The story at Tequipment has changed.  On Friday I was told the unit had been shipped by the R&S warehouse and they would get it in 2 day to reship to me.  I had placed the order at 5AM the morning of the announcement.  Now they are telling me May 3, maybe.  >:( 

Noticed on the TestEquity site "Temporarily Sold Out. Delivery for all new orders is 30 days. Approximately 11 left for new orders as of 3/20 - Place your order before supplies run out completely!"

Still unclear if all scope sold are "new orders" and "delivery for all new orders is 30 days" or if at some point in the past  was okay and that new orders now (for the 11 additional .... allocated?... scopes) is 30 days.   Either way, my "expected date" is 0000-00-00 .

Wonder if R&S just allocated x-number for all of NA, and was going to fulfill direct from EU, but under-estimated the demand...   or if it was a calculated hook to get sales but their were not ready (so far all the versions I've seen on off-hand pictures are identified as "beta" firmware).   But then again, Mike got his hands on his... *shrugs*       I don't mind pre-ordering things, but wish that was made more clear initially, instead of the marking information that said stock was available at their regional distributors.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Quick first impression - some UI aspects are fractionally more sluggish than you might like, e.g. rotary but probably not enough to be annoying. Probably the most annoying thing so far is the position and general entry knobs are detented.
UART Decode looks reasonably good, though datasheet says UART to 32Mbaud but it seems to stop at 3Mbaud. I have queried this as IMO 3M is too low.
I've also had the touchscreen completely stop working on one occasion, needing a power cycle to restore.

Offline JanJansen

• Frequent Contributor
I,m happy i did not bought a 4 year old scope at this moment,
oh wait, no serial decoding for free ?

Given that R&S are the only company to ever approach me to have hack material removed from the website,

(BTW, they never did get back to me on exact which posts violated their copyright...)

More copyright infrigments soon ?, i might buy this scope then, glad i waited.

A "true game changer" would be to simply make good scopes, with no ransom payments to enable crippled hardware features.

Don't forget as a buyer you are also paying for the counterproductive development of the security features and obfuscation they had to build into the machine to protect their precious cripple-ware tricks.

I could not say it better, thank you for these words, i will repeat it to others, its a no brainer.

I hope this scope has the BNCs bolted to the front and the PCB properly fixed to the chassis unlike the cheaply built Hameg scopes.

The picture dont seems like it, i was looking instantly, maybe they did not read your comments, or wanto save 1 euro ? ( only gold bolts on a gold BNC looks nice)

Let's see if they do a promotion with free decode options as they have done in the past. 800 bucks for UART, I2C and SPI is insane.

Hooraay for the promotion action, yes €800 is insane in 2017, what did they make ?, they already had the software made so it should be free, soon 3rd party promotion actions? , lets wait!
aliexpress parachute

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cancelled my Tequipment order
« Reply #422 on: March 21, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »

Noticed on the TestEquity site "Temporarily Sold Out. Delivery for all new orders is 30 days. Approximately 11 left for new orders as of 3/20 - Place your order before supplies run out completely!"

Still unclear if all scope sold are "new orders" and "delivery for all new orders is 30 days" or if at some point in the past  was okay and that new orders now (for the 11 additional .... allocated?... scopes) is 30 days.   Either way, my "expected date" is 0000-00-00 .

I ordered mine as soon as I heard about it on March 15th, and I was just told it is going to be "about 4 weeks" until delivery.  It wasn't until several days after I ordered it that they put the Temporarily Sold Out banner up, so I too and somewhat curious as to what is going on.

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
I asked R&S UK about the MSO and the person I spoke with was under the impression the digital probes are not included. I would try and clarify this because it is an expensive addition.

On the page for the RTB-B1 Mixed Signal Option on the R&S web page, there is a specification for input impedance of 100 k? ± 2 % || ~4 pF (meas.) at probe tips, which implies to me that, in order for the probes to have input impedance, they have to exist.

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm new here, but a long term electronics hobbyist and ordered the RTB2k deal at TestEquity.
Got an order confirmation and an expected ship date of 2017-03-31.

Michael
W4MFT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf