Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 627747 times)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1125 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:00 am »
I came across something useful for myself – at least a ‘hands free’ way of investigating circuit behaviour :)

My question is if something similar can be implemented (if not already) that can be used for SSA’s
– especially when matched impedances are required
– not to mention much higher frequencies than typical with MSO’s

It’s possible to fabricate a suitable cable with an appropriate termination at the SSA end

Can we do same at the probe end?

I guess it’s a matter of simply trying to see what the frequency response will be – using the SSA itself ??

We can create two cables terminated at the TG and SSA input using suitable N terminations
– then simply ‘tune’ the 'probe end' and if not perfectly flat response for the entire 3.2G span
– normalize it before use :-\

This should work I guess for TG sweeps … but if just ‘probing’ with SSA input alone will we have any problems??

Has anyone attempted something similar?

Any feedback welcome ;)

I took the lazy path and just picked up one of these for poking things with needles, dead flat for the most part

https://www.tequipment.net/AuburnP-20B/

I do also have that same set with 4 scope probes and 8 digital probes

very handy

sad they only go up to 100MHz ;(

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1126 on: June 11, 2020, 11:16:42 am »

very handy

P20B - NICE :-+

Any chance of getting the Sensepeek probe (100Mhz) and hooking it up to the SSA - to see how long it stays 'flat' for ??

- just curious if its labeled at 100Mhz but has some more milage  :P

Offline TrAndy

« Reply #1127 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:59 pm »
I was in doubt if I should post it here or in the post for the SVA but sinds the calibration is still a hot topic for the upgraded SSA I decided for this forum. If I was wrong then please move or delete this post.
I came along this post:
https://www.instructables.com/id/23GHz-SMA-Calibration-Kit/
I build it on a N-connector to see how good that was only to discover that the SVA showed a poor open. My ohmmeter confirmed 50 Ohms? After close up inspection I notisted that the pin was much tinner, probebly a 75 Ohm connector. :-X
I still think the site is good and I will try again when I have the right connectors.

Making your own calibration set is possible, but you need to keep high precision here.
In the case of the N connector there are greater distances and it should be remembered that the cable connected to the resistor must have an impedance of 50ohm (impedance not resistance). In principle, the resistor should also be non-inductive.
However, by using very short connections and a small resistor, this condition can be omitted (Can be made with small SMA connectors)...

Therefore, such a set will be easier to make using SMA connectors and using the SMA to N adapter.

Let's be more precise on this argument. It is positively possible to replicate a test kit, no doubt, therefore there are two main problems on such DIY products:
. as stated previously to get precision of results... you have to have high precision, big wallet instrumentation otherwise how do you think to get a kit fulfilling reference characteristics?
. The most important problem is... repeatability. The electrical characteristics of each single component of the kit must not significantly vary with else slight variations of test conditions or result in significant wear of the parts after few test sessions.
The mechanical stability of kit's components are the big culprit. The fact that at every connection/disconnection a mechanical degradation occurs is inevitable.
Only a professional can with much experience dimension, select and couple the materials used so that either after say 50 measure sessions each component shows nearly the same electrical characteristics as at its very first run.
If a test kit shows different results under the same testing conditions, sorry, it becomes a nonsense trying to calibrate an instrument with it.
This is the real reason why serious calibration kits cost in the thousands and more, stability of results reflecting in repeteatability of measures without near no divergence in values obtained.
That said, to make measures and calibrations as trustworthy as possible...:

. use as few transitions (between cables, adapters, connectors etc.) as feasible
. use good quality materials (e.g. Amphenol, Suhner etc.), no Chinese or whatever low cost material even if with very shiny and goldy look.
. no, I underline this in red, NO flexible or semi-rigid cables, use possibly rigid prebuild cables
. create a structural rigid setup connected to the ports of your instrument, possibly firmly fixed to a little tablet of RF insulating material e.g. PRFV, ceramic, PTFE etc.. I use a simple low cost porcelain stoneware tile from my last renovation and got optimal results up to and over 200Ghz.

Have precise measures.

My 10cents.

Offline TrAndy

« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2020, 11:37:09 pm »
I was in doubt if I should post it here or in the post for the SVA but sinds the calibration is still a hot topic for the upgraded SSA I decided for this forum. If I was wrong then please move or delete this post.
I came along this post:
https://www.instructables.com/id/23GHz-SMA-Calibration-Kit/
I build it on a N-connector to see how good that was only to discover that the SVA showed a poor open. My ohmmeter confirmed 50 Ohms? After close up inspection I notisted that the pin was much tinner, probebly a 75 Ohm connector. :-X
I still think the site is good and I will try again when I have the right connectors.

Making your own calibration set is possible, but you need to keep high precision here.
In the case of the N connector there are greater distances and it should be remembered that the cable connected to the resistor must have an impedance of 50ohm (impedance not resistance). In principle, the resistor should also be non-inductive.
However, by using very short connections and a small resistor, this condition can be omitted (Can be made with small SMA connectors)...

Therefore, such a set will be easier to make using SMA connectors and using the SMA to N adapter.

Let's be more precise on this argument. It is positively possible to replicate a test kit, no doubt, therefore there are two main problems connected with DIY products:
. as already stated previously, to get precision of results... you have to have high precision, big wallet instrumentation otherwise how do you think to get a kit fulfilling reference characteristics?
. The most important problem is... repeatability. The electrical characteristics of each single component of the kit must not significantly vary with else slight variations of test conditions or result in significant wear of the parts after few test sessions.
The mechanical stability of kit's components are the big culprit. The fact that at every connection/disconnection a mechanical degradation occurs is inevitable.
Only a professional can with much experience dimension, select and couple the materials used so that either after say 50 measure sessions each component shows nearly the same electrical characteristics as at its very first run.
If a test kit shows different results under the same testing conditions, sorry, it becomes a nonsense trying to calibrate an instrument with it.
This is the real reason why serious calibration kits cost in the thousands and more, stability of results reflecting in repeatability of measures without near no divergence in values obtained.
That said, to make measures and calibrations as trustworthy as possible...:

. use as few transitions (between cables, adapters, connectors etc.) as feasible
. use good quality materials (e.g. Amphenol, Suhner etc.), no Chinese or whatever low cost material even if with very shiny and goldy look.
. no, I underline this in red, NO flexible or semi-rigid cables, use possibly rigid prebuild cables
. create a structural rigid setup connected to the ports of your instrument, possibly firmly fixed to a little tablet of RF insulating material e.g. PRFV, ceramic, PTFE etc.. I use a simple low cost porcelain stoneware tile from my last renovation and got optimal results up to and over 200Ghz.

Have precise measures.

My 10cents.

Andreas

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1129 on: June 16, 2020, 12:38:35 am »

very handy

Any chance of getting the Sensepeek probe (100Mhz) and hooking it up to the SSA - to see how long it stays 'flat' for ??

Yeah i'll sweep it if i remember sometime next week.. gear is busy atm :P

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: June 16, 2020, 01:10:39 pm »

very handy

Yeah i'll sweep it if i remember sometime next week.. gear is busy atm :P

I pushed the button - should have my probes in the next day  ;)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1131 on: June 18, 2020, 09:31:22 pm »
Pics of the official sma cal kit... spare no expenses! Look at that fine wood craftsmanship

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: June 18, 2020, 09:32:43 pm »
nt

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1133 on: June 18, 2020, 11:18:50 pm »
Official as from Siglent?  Looks good, it is like the box they deliver limited edition in.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: June 18, 2020, 11:26:05 pm »
Official as from Siglent?  Looks good, it is like the box they deliver limited edition in.

Yeah its singlets sma vna calibrators, the software already knows their specs and compensates as needed

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1135 on: June 19, 2020, 12:31:01 am »
Yep, SVA1000X models accessory F603FE:
https://siglentna.com/product/sma-type-vna-calibration-kit/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: June 19, 2020, 12:56:44 am »
Very nice!  Congrats, very nice setup.  Siglent continues to delivers great value with the help of the EEVBLOG community.

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: June 19, 2020, 01:05:23 am »
Pics of the official sma cal kit... spare no expenses! Look at that fine wood craftsmanship

If you still have (or ever got) the NanoVNA's SMA calibration kit - would be nice to see a direct comparison to the 'official' Siglent kit  ;)

My bet is that the NanoVNA's kit is not that far off the 'official'  :P

But I can always be wrong  :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: June 19, 2020, 01:36:57 am »

If you still have (or ever got) the NanoVNA's SMA calibration kit - would be nice to see a direct comparison to the 'official' Siglent kit  ;)

Keep you eyes peeled on the SVA thread in a few weeks when my F603FE Cal kit arrives.
I have a 7 GHz Kirkby SMA calibration 'correction' loaded into a fair dinkum SVA1032X and F603FE will be checked against it and another trip to see hendorog (my local VNA guru) might arise if he has any full Nano Cal kits left.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:42:49 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1139 on: June 19, 2020, 01:42:46 am »
More than likely or close.. Just get tau to chime in.... Edit: He posted just before me lol

I just got these to not have to muck around and they are known to the software already + sma type so easy to calibrate to whatever dut, all mine use sma connectors anyway

Or maybe I just wanted the box.... :-DD

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: June 19, 2020, 01:50:30 am »

Well I am exhibiting some signs of Jealousy for the 'box' already - you know the old saying ... good things come inside small boxes :P :P :P

... looking foward to tautech feedback soon ...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: June 19, 2020, 01:56:37 am »

Well I am exhibiting some signs of Jealousy for the 'box' already - you know the old saying ... good things come inside small boxes :P :P :P

... looking foward to tautech feedback soon ...
Oh and you can be sure it'll get tested on all of hendorog's VNA's as well !

~ mid July a few days after new shipment of Siglent goodies arrives....that's our midwinter so a good excuse to stay inside and play with toys.  8)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: June 19, 2020, 02:11:37 am »

Keep you eyes peeled on the SVA thread in a few weeks when my F603FE Cal kit arrives.
I have a 7 GHz Kirkby SMA calibration 'correction' loaded into a fair dinkum SVA1032X and F603FE will be checked against it and another trip to see hendorog (my local VNA guru) might arise if he has any full Nano Cal kits left.

Yeah its more complicated than that. The SVA doesn't have data for my cal kit, and the SVA is limited to delay correction for custom cal kits. So you will see a difference, and logically it will be due to that limitation.

But bring it over and we can cal it again with your new kit. Then we can measure my cal kit and compare what it says with the measurements that Dr Kirkby supplied with it.
All going well they should be very close.

Then we can do the same with the Nano parts. Intuitively; it won't matter very much at lower frequencies, but will matter a lot at high frequencies.

I do like that box :)

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1143 on: June 20, 2020, 07:19:00 am »
Regarding calibrators, if you talk about amateur use, do not overdo it. SVA doesn't have great technical parameters and only hobbyists will buy it (dynamics 80-90dB is low for VNA). In addition to calibrators, make sure you have good cables, a torque wrench, and check connector geometry, etc. - and these are high prices that may exceed the price of SVA or converted SAA...

Recently, I was looking for Chinese calibrators and found a few that have positive reviews - I wonder if I would buy and test ...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Calibration-ANT-SWR-Antenna-Analyzer/706973_513292899.html

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:22:12 am by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: June 22, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
As promised - my first SSA /SVA accessory project

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-test-equipment-hw-and-accessories-share-your-design-here/

Enjoy ...

Thanks to all for the comradeship during the SSA to SVA cross flashing  :-+

Offline RellikJM

« Reply #1145 on: June 23, 2020, 03:28:53 pm »
Yet another SSA3012X Plus cross-flashed to SVA1032X.  :-+

1006200-0

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: June 24, 2020, 02:38:03 pm »
Just did some characterization (Freq response vs. gain)  of a few RF amplifiers using the TG

As I did this – I noted that it’s possible to set the TG level (I believe from -20dbm to 0dbm)

Is there a way to ‘sweep’ the TG level – for a fixed frequency?

It’s useful to characterize the RF amplifier’s input level gain vs. output gain and not just the general Freq response for a ‘fixed’ input gain

... just asking  ... in case I missed something in the use of the TG and possibly other settings I have not discoverd as yet :-\

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: June 24, 2020, 10:28:32 pm »
How is it possible to convert a Spectrum Analyzer into a Network Vector Analyzer by just reflashing the firmware?

Is the hardware identical?

Is an NVA better than an SA in all categories?

Is there a good detailed description available about the differences in capabilities of both devices?

How to crossflash a SSA3000X Plus into a SVA1032X:

1. Telnet into the equipment
2. rename
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb_p
   to
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb
3. in file /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh change the line
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb_p &
   to
   /usr/bin/siglent/ecomb &
4. in file /usr/bin/siglent/config/NSP_config_upgrade_info.xml change the line
   <upgrade_static_id>11405</upgrade_static_id>
   to
   <upgrade_static_id>11403</upgrade_static_id>
5. Reboot
6. Now you can update your SSA with the Siglent's SVA stock FW.
   (should work with SVA1032X_2.2.1.2.5 or SVA1032X_2.2.1.2.7, at least)
7. After having flashed your first SVA stock FW, the SSA has become a "true" SVA.

To lower the risk you can do an additional step which is to activate the telned daemon before the line reference in step 3.
(for example, place there: /sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh -p 10101  &     )

As always: do it at your own risk.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:02 pm »
How is it possible to convert a Spectrum Analyzer into a Network Vector Analyzer by just reflashing the firmware?

Is an NVA better than an SA in all categories?

Is there a good detailed description available about the differences in capabilities of both devices?

They are both spectrum analyzers first and foremost but SVA models have the VNA additional capability.
Websites and datasheets are your friends.  ;)
https://www.siglenteu.com/spectrum-analyzers/ssa3000x-series-spectrum-analyzers/
https://www.siglenteu.com/spectrum-analyzers/sva1000x-spectrum-vector-analyzer/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: June 24, 2020, 11:20:56 pm »

Yes...

SSA3021X Plus, SSA3032X Plus, SVA1032X this is the same hardware, only restrictions have been introduced using the firmware.

https://www.siglenteu.com/spectrum-analyzers/ssa3000x-plus/
https://www.siglenteu.com/spectrum-analyzers/sva1000x-spectrum-vector-analyzer/

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf