Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Microcontrollers / Re: Memory model for Microcontrollers
« Last post by westfw on Today at 07:41:13 pm »
two or more, separate cores.
Usually you compile and one set of sources into a single binary, so that that stage of development doesn't know that there are going to be more than one CPU.  Stack and Heap can be assigned to each cpu (or task) at runtime, but data, text, and rodata can be freely and randomly interleaved.
Relevance: all the probing considerations apply unchanged to both "digital" circuits and "analogue" circuits.
Do you really think rise time and amplitude are equally important in analog and (binary) digital signals? Is amplitude a critical parameter for an accurate eye diagram? Is rise time important in what's generally a more narrow band analog signal like RF?
Going to start simple here, so don't be offended.

10R resistor should be at R3 location.

You can check that you get 0dB Gain and 0deg Phase by clipping both of your probes together (grounds to grounds, and tip to tip) and doing a sweep, you should get flat-line across your scope.

Next, hook up the injection transformer output across the R3 resistor.  Hook up one probe on either side of the resistor.  Connect the scope ground clips close to a ground plane for minimal noise.

Start with 0.25V stimulus and run a plot.  There shouldn't be a lower frequency resonance like you're showing.

Is the above the steps that you've taken?  I can't quite tell.
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Last post by Performa01 on Today at 07:32:56 pm »
It should be obvious that the waveform update rate depends on the record length and not the sample rate. Thus it’s not fair to compare 10 Mpts on the Siglent to a DSO that can only use a total of 2 Mpts in run mode.

Furthermore, Keysight MSOX-series is optimized for speed; in fact, everything else is subordinate to this. Functionality is implemented in hardware in the Megazoom ASIC, which is blazingly fast, but also rather inflexible. By contrast, on the Siglent there’s always some processing time for the data, which pauses the acquisition. And if speed and waveform update rate are really that important, anything other than a Keysight Megazoom DSO will be a disapointment.

The average waveform update rates for the SDS800X HD can be found here (reply #2, section “History & Sequence Mode”):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293747/#msg5293747

Instead of complaining about the update rate, most engineers would be excited about the analytic capabilities they get with the SDS800X HD and the many things it can do, which are beyond an MSOX3000, such as:

True 12 bit resolution.
0.5 % accuracy.
Custom probes.
Permanently visible 7-digit trigger frequency counter.
True 500 µV/div full resolution sensitivity and not just 4 mV/div and software zoom below, which would not be so bad on a 12-bit instrument, but with only 8 bits it certainly is.
<2.4 nV/√Hz voltage noise above 1 MHz when 50 Ω terminated.
Deep memory up to 100 Mpts total, which is not halved in run mode.
History recording permanently active in the background, where past trigger events can be looked up and analyzed to our your hearts content.
Deep math and measurements up to 10 Mpts, not just 32-64 kpts.
Up to 4 math channels incl. FFT and formula editor.
FFT up to 2 Mpts.
Measurement statistics with Histicons that can be enlarged to histogram windows.
Track Plots.
Bode Plots, up to 3 channels and up to 120 MHz with frequency selective detector and AGC, providing more than 100 dB dynamic range.
Last not least: the price!

For anyone not caring for these features, Analytic (Siglent) scopes in general are not for them.
Test Equipment / Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Last post by BTO on Today at 07:32:46 pm »
so if you're getting it TRULY for free, and they're not just inflating the price and telling you crap, then just get it, No problem.
it'll activate the same way
The scope is €899+VAT (8.1% here in Switzerland) so there's clearly no pricing shenanigans going on:

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5074.html

I'll definitely get or build a logic probe at some point, though probably not immediately.
The scope is €899+VAT (8.1% here in Switzerland) so there's clearly no pricing shenanigans going on:

Yeah that seems right, that's around $1500 Australian, here the scope is currently $2,000 and $1500 is the USD price
so that looks good, if you want to get the LA probe later, that's fine, Just get it as some point.

so it looks like you're good to go, So when do you expect to receive the scope ?
General Technical Chat / 1SS86 Hitachi Diodes Source?
« Last post by W4PJB on Today at 07:25:50 pm »
I'm looking for some 1SS86 diodes to build some lectenna's. I'm told the Hitachi's are the best but are no longer in production.

There seems to be a few sellers of these on the 'ol AliExpress, but I have only slightly more faith in getting genuine articles from AE than I do from Wish.

Does anyone have experience buying these from AliExpress, or have a trustworthy source for these?

I'd be open to other Schottky diodes as well, but from what I understand these are the most sensitive.
« Last post by BTO on Today at 07:24:46 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply.  It all makes sense.

2. JUST GET A STANDARD MSO5074  NO BUNDLES INSTALLED AND SAVE YOURSELF $600

The thing is that every Rigol distributor around here is currently including the bundle as standard, free of charge.  It seems that getting the scope without the bundle would actually be more hassle than having it pre-installed.

Ohh, and when buying the Logic Probe, Tell them (Make it part of the agreement)
SEE...
The stickers on the little channel logic probes (which are really just little squares with numbers on them) and the Ground one's , You have
16GND stickers, of which you only need 1, as they share a common ground
but.. The stickers have a piss weak glue on them   so

1. Get them to send you a new set of stickers (they'll have to order it in, and they will) Make it part of the deal.
this is a KNOWN EXISTING PROBLEM and they will happily send you a set of stickers.

2. When you get home, You're gonna notice a few fall off, My advice,   Just put a touch of superglue or some glue on them
and they'll be fine, but again, if you have a spare sticker pack, that's the better way to go isn't it .

I paid a bit extra for the L.A. probe... HAVEN'T REGRETTED IT FOR A SECOND

Actually i'll say this..
a little over 10 years ago when dave was doing the video on DS1052E Vs  DS2000A
the consensus was.... DS2000A was more expensive,   It was $1100 at the time and the 1052E was $800
I MADE THE DECISION TO GET THE HIGHER ONE... never regretted that decision
and , i wasn't even aware of the hack, Just got the Base model, 2 Ch, 70MHz
but yeah this MSO5000   THIS IS NUTS ,  and i heard of a guy doing a shootout with a MSO5000, MSO7000 and MSO8000 as well as one of the 12bit scopes and an RTB Series Rohde and Shwarz
and he still prefers the MSO5000

it's a very cool scope, YOU ARE GOING TO BE IMPRESSED
so after you activate it, go to this link
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/post-hacking-rigol-mso5000-post-hacking-tutorial-deep-dive/
where i have made a set of some 13 odd videos that go through step by step , Deep Dive into the scope so you now how to use everything
instead of just staying on a basic level of understanding, We go into everything FFT, MATH, REFERENCE, CURSORS etc
and you learn some cool troubleshooting tricks along the way

so seriously, don't worry about anything, You have conveniently jumped in at a very good time when all the bugs have been worked out.
there's really nothing for to be concerned about other than
Don't Lose Power
Don't Lose Network
that's it !
FPGA / Re: OpenCores.org login
« Last post by bson on Today at 07:24:45 pm »
I can't even register to create an account.  After filling out all info on screen 1/7, Basic Info, the "next" button remains grayed out.  I think I had an account sometime in the past, but it doesn't seem able to find it, maybe it got deleted due to inactivity.  I wonder how hard it would be to set up a better hosting service for this...
Metrology / Re: Is anyone into quantum technologies and quantum metrology?
« Last post by vonB on Today at 07:24:44 pm »
Hello guys.

Im currently working in quantum technologies as ee

Something about quantum computers and quantum key distribution
« Last post by aix on Today at 07:24:06 pm »
so if you're getting it TRULY for free, and they're not just inflating the price and telling you crap, then just get it, No problem.
it'll activate the same way

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5074.html

I'll definitely get or build a logic probe at some point, though probably not immediately.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next