Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Repair / Leader 3216 Signal Generator Repair help
« Last post by alonsojar on Today at 04:34:57 pm »
I've recently got a Leader 3216 AM and FM signal generator. It is very well conserved and in general nicely working. The signals are clean and as far as I can verify, very accurate. I intend to use it in FM stereo receivers alignments (what else!).

The only problem is that from time to time it hangs and the keyboard is frozen. In this situation the SG continues issuing the RF signal with the last setup, but a power off/on is required to recover.
This problem only happens after a random keystroke (I cannot find any pattern), and seems not related with time of use or components heating. It may happen in a minute or after an hour, but always following a keyboard hit. If not using the keyboard it can be hours and never hangs.It is not a mechanical issue.

The unit inside looks clean and never repaired. I did some preliminary homework, resetting and cleaning contacts, reviewing the power rails and filter capacitors, but everything looks under specs.

I'm focusing in the cpu board. It has basically a Hitachi CPU HD6303R + PIA HD6231P chips, an 32k eprom and a static ram to save the setups. I suspect the problem is there because even when frozen, the keyborad input signals are received in the PIA PAx and PBx lines, while the CPU Address, Data buses and control signals are in loop like crazy. Resetting only the cpu board power rail will recover the system.

I've checked the electrolytics in this board and were showing good capacity and low ESR. Anyway I replaced them, but no success.
I also tested the eprom, reading it sequentially end to end with an arduino board at least 20 times without any error and with always matching results cell by cell, so it's probably good.
By the way, the eprom has a sticker label hiding the erasing UV window indicating it's a 1.7 level. I've seen a pic of another Leader 3216  board in a japanese web, and the eprom sticker was 2.1
May this problem could be solved with a newer code? There is no information and perhaps a newer level will require a matching hw revision... I haven't been able to find any eprom dump of any level, so this is probably a dead track unless someone can extract and share it (It has been reported here that Leader support didn't provide any code either). If anyone is interested I've dumped mine to a file.

Checking the signals with the oscilloscope I've found something that I don't know if is right or not. I will appreciate your comments.
The 3.6MHz xtal signal looks clean and steady, The A0 to A14 address bus signals are looking good to me (see screenshot), but the Data bus D0 to D7 looks weird. As you can see the signal has a wide rise curve and looks dirty when in high state. The image is the same in all the 8 bits and no matter the chip leg I test (cpu, pia, sram, eprom). This signal was captured while in normal operation, but in case of loop this is not changing.
I have null experience debugging this kind of electronics, so I will appreciate any comment or advice.

I have the temptation to start changing components in the board, but the risk is to damage it removing the large chips and I don't know where to begin.
I'm also afraid this could be just a sw bug and changing all hw will do nothing.
At the end and for the light use I intend it's not really a big issue restarting it from time to time. Since the critical RF part is working ok, perhaps I should forget my curiosity and perfectionism and live with this. What do you think? 
(Sorry for the long post)

I will appreciate any advice

Alonso
Computers / Re: Format a 256GB pendrive with FAT32 using a windows 10 pc
« Last post by magic on Today at 04:34:54 pm »
I seem to recall that you can format large FAT32 volumes in Windows using its bundled command line tools (format or something like that). The 32GB limitation is only imposed by the GUI.
"55BZ " looks like a MOSFET.

Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SSA 3021X... Ooops
« Last post by wofritz on Today at 04:34:03 pm »
I didn't check the schematic fragments I "re-engineered" during my repair attempts, but depending on the attenuator settings the signal may or may not go through the faulty path / switch.

Maybe you can experiment with manual attenuator settings.

I attached my schematics fragment.

Microcontrollers / Re: STM32H7 CortexM4 USART DMA issue
« Last post by Silenos on Today at 04:31:16 pm »
What's "RTS"? How it "does not work"? What are DMA registers values and what they mean? Did you set DMAMUX? Is the M4 core running nominal?
Also at least some H7s have botched USARTs which hang after some time when used with DMA. You have to flip certain undocumented magic bit to make it work, it is described in some errata.
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: High bandwidth FM signal generation
« Last post by ejeffrey on Today at 04:27:22 pm »
The xilinx RFSoC dev kits are the usual thing people use when the commercials available SDRs run out of  bandwidth.  The dev boards cost about $10-15k, but give you several channels of several GHz depending on the model.  They also have a "mix mode" where the DAC output can be chopped by the clock to put more of the power in the second Nyquist zone.  That can allow you to cover 0-8 GHz with no external mixer.

It's a fair bit of development work to get it to work compared to an SDR or off the shelf instrument but there are pretty good examples / documentation and they are supported by the Pynq project although I havent used that so I don't know how well it works.
Repair / Tektronix DM501A repair
« Last post by Rax on Today at 04:26:57 pm »
Working on a few units I got, hoping to put together one or two fully working if the other ones may become parts harvesters.

They all have slightly different signs of trouble, but essentially nothing works well, starting with non-sensical display annunciations. I'll stick with one particular unit for now to not confuse the conversation with inconsistencies.

Unit #1, hence, exhibits this inconsistent display of measurements. Typically, applying a certain excitation would change the screen somewhat, but information displayed would still be inconsistent and hard to interpret.

Here's some data I collected this far on this particular unit:
  • The core voltage measurement stages are not working well (as I assume all other measurement modes boil down to this). I've followed the troubleshooting tree for DC voltage and I see no voltage present at U1601-pin15.
  • In checking the clock, I enclose what I'm seeing at the base of Q1435 and the OSC input of U1603-pin8.
  • I reseated the display board (access is quite tight, so I didn't pull it completely out, just enough to be able to apply some deoxit to the board pins and then pushed it back in.
  • The PS rails seem to be close enough.
  • I haven't checked the electrolytic and tantalum caps on the board, but given the health of the rails, I am not prioritizing these at this time.
  • I reseated all ICs on sockets. To flesh that out a bit, I pulled them, sanded the pins a bit with an abrasive pen, cleaned them with IPA, then applied a touch of Deoxit with a swab.
  • I've resoldered Q1415. Its solder points seemed to be pretty severely starved from solder.
  • Access is not easy, but I've parsimoniously washed the switches with Deoxit. In hindsight, maybe I should have just tried an IPA wash first, particularly as that's less risky in terms of contamination. So maybe I'll give it another go with IPA on the switches, and seek to limit contamination with Deoxit oils on everywhere else than the inside of the switches (which will not be easy, I don't think).

The troubleshooting tree for DC Voltage is not too clear to me. For instance, what to do in case the U1601-pin15 levels are wrong (or non-existent).
Repair / Re: Rohde Schwarz CMU200
« Last post by Harry_22 on Today at 04:26:45 pm »
Please remove the modules 1135.5206.02 as well as 1100.2400.25 and place burned part areas in the center of photo. The burned parts are seen on both sides.
Thanks for the example calculation, it was very insightful.

There is always the option of running the RP2040 without a PLL from an external 48MHz clock (which would also work out in terms of timing, 48MHz is exactly half of the 96MHz I chose for the previous code). I am not sure if this would yield much improvement.

Would I be right in assuming that the faster a logic IC is meant to be clocked, the lower the jitter? For example, the SN74LVTH273 [1] can be clocked at up to 150MHz. The latch can be clocked from the same oscillator that is feeding the RP2040, that might help with synchronization issues.

[1]: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvth273-ep.pdf
Repair / Re: Help needed identifying a Zener/TVS Diode (Toyota ECU)
« Last post by fzabkar on Today at 04:25:32 pm »
This vendor rates it at 27V 3W, if you can believe it:

https://www.lazada.vn/products/voltage-regulator-s5225-zener-3w-27v-thao-may-test-ok-i2423357599.html

Here is a discussion about a circuit that uses this diode:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59362&page=2

The diode appears to be D4 in this circuit diagram (D4 is a place holder):

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?s=76c57ef43ebf18a1041f22109cc5937f&attachmentid=16095&d=1331498282

The IC (μPC1251) in that diagram has a maximum supply rating of 32V:

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/document/dst/upc1251-upc358-datasheet
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next