Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Test Equipment / Re: New Hantek DSO2X1X models?
« Last post by OLderDan on Today at 07:19:27 am »
I have just learned what the ref save and recall does and was wondering if there was any way to reposition the image or do I continue to setup the trace in the position I want the reference image to be displayed.
I wish there was a more complete help system for this oscilloscope, some of the inbuilt pages are empty and the only way I even understood what save and recall a ref even did was an out of context comment on a you tube video I was watching!
I finally understand the connection to time in ms ns and the actual frequency in Hz thanks to experimenting with my dso2d15, and even more useful, how to convert between SI units while measuring a capacitors charge rise to determine its value, I discovered the use of zooming the screen when looking at a long uart packet, and using the two probe tips and math function to make differential readings.

Maybe there is room in this thread for a RTFM tips section?
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by shapirus on Today at 07:13:55 am »
I didn't get any wobble within normal range, and then I still don't get anything as crazy as what you showed in your screenshot. It mostly shrinks and the counter gets farther and farther off. Near the end before it resets, it looks a little wonkier.
Yeah looks very reasonable. I think there's no doubt now that the signal processing algorithms are implemented much better in this scope than in the Rigol's DHO800/900.

Now, let's see if someone will be willing to repeat a similar test with the Siglent's SDS800X HD series :).
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: Homebrew Lock-In Amplifier
« Last post by RoGeorge on Today at 07:10:29 am »
In case you don't have the time to build a dedicated LIA, this oscilloscope trick might be a good-enough replacement:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/oscilloscope-with-trace-averaging-as-a-lock-in-amplifier-(rigol-ds1054z)/
What's wrong with the tl494?

The output is slow archaic junk.

I have heard other people say fairly often that there are much better PWM IC out there, but nobody seems to be able to point to one with access to both inverting and non inverting pins of the error amplifiers.
I have spent many hours on digikey looking, but havent had much luck.

Voltage feed-forward would be nice

and pulse skipping too

The Tl598 seems to be the tl494 with a better output section.
And states "Internal Circuitry Prohibits Double Pulse at Either Output"
The Vicor modules seem "stable enough" in terms of inrush current and availability. The text you just posted is full of generalizations that don't seem to add up.

I don't know what's going on at Vicor, but it seems odd that a product regularly stocked in the thousands at multiple distributors would suddenly evaporate.
Repair / Re: JBC SL-2300
« Last post by lionelkjh on Today at 07:06:05 am »
Hello, and thank you for the feedback...I have the documentation for this product, but unfortunately I am looking for the diagram, or photos of the board of a functional soldering station....I measured the tension on the iron; it is located at 160v and should be around 24v...Cdt ;)
What's wrong with the tl494?

The output is slow archaic junk.

I have heard other people say fairly often that there are much better PWM IC out there, but nobody seems to be able to point to one with access to both inverting and non inverting pins of the error amplifiers.
I have spent many hours on digikey looking, but havent had much luck.

Voltage feed-forward would be nice

and pulse skipping too

The Tl598 seems to be the tl494 with a better output section.
Microcontrollers / Re: RIP Z80
« Last post by brucehoult on Today at 07:00:12 am »
Cool, I hope it'll work with the sifive/t-head/WCH implementations. I really would not want stuff like https://discourse.llvm.org/t/rfc-prestacked-annotation-to-solve-risc-v-interrupt-stacking-mess/74120 proliferating

I don't have a problem with that proposal at all, or indeed even see the situation as a "mess".

Some people are used to hardware saved registers on other ISAs and want that feature on their RISC-V processors, and probably more manufacturers than at present will (in my opinion) waste transistors that could have been used for better things (or just use less silicon) on duplicate register sets (worse) or a FSM to stack registers.

Maybe the people who want to implement/use this will agree on a single spec for it, but as it's pretty much 100% "we think it give us a competitive advantage" thing I wouldn't hold my breath, at least in the short term.

That's pretty much inevitable with a community-owned ISA. You can see it as a disadvantage, but I see it as a strength.

And I think @jnk0le's proposal is both very easy to implement and solves the problem neatly. It makes perfect sense.
Would you mind sharing what version firmware the Zoyi 703S used in your testing has? Thanks!
fw was 1.32. I now tried 1.35 and there is no change in the results (as I would assume).
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: Transistor tester
« Last post by Calambres on Today at 06:48:12 am »
Those chinese testers work so-so with Ge trannies.

Their firmware is based on an older version of the OSHW k-firmware with issues discerning Ge BJTs from JFETs. If you have a tester with a genuine ATmega you could flash the m-firmware which comes with a few additional checks to tell Ge BJTs and JFETs apart.
I have some of those units, even a couple with genuine ATmega processor (AY-AT) and have never experienced a Ge trannie being identified as a JFET. On the other hand, the measurements are off, always reading high beta and leakage.

I have not investigated the reflashing method. It seems to me a bit cumbersome from what I've seen. Is there a "dummies guide" to do it easily?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next