Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Repair / Re: APC Smart-UPS 1500 (SMT1500)
« Last post by fenugrec on Today at 10:00:30 pm »
Good to know about the battery.

You may be able to cobble something with an incandescent bulb (say 100W) in series with the battery as a current "limiter". May prevent the UPS from working properly but would reduce risk of a catastrophic short.
Manufacturing & Assembly / Re: Metcal MX-5210 underwhelming performance
« Last post by shabaz on Today at 09:53:46 pm »
The unit may be faulty. In comparison, here is a JBC station with a small (1mm) tip, using a small 40W iron handle, on copper ground plane, you can see that the solder flows smoothly on the copper. Metcal performance is for sure at least similar. Are you not seeing a similar level of performance as shown in the video?

General Technical Chat / Re: What ICs are used in this rocket?
« Last post by tom66 on Today at 09:51:06 pm »
For anyone who is curious as to the answer rather than just with Faringdon being a troll  :).

Radiation-hardened FPGAs and microcontrollers/SoCs most likely if they are "old space". 

Or they could be using consumer devices with higher tolerance to single event upsets which is the SpaceX ("new space") approach - reasonably normal computers (they use x86 Intel processors of one kind or another) but with much redundancy and self-checking. See here:  https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/9243/what-computer-and-software-is-used-by-the-falcon-9
I bought the bigger Metcal after using the smaller for a few years, and I was expecting more too.
Maybe it is the tips - given these actually set the temp.

Maybe it's my technique. But certainly it feels like it is underpowered. I had similar experience when soldering with cheap soldering iron.
FPGA / Re: Help on translate schematics to Verilog.
« Last post by caius on Today at 09:45:24 pm »
A lot of generated clocks, as BrainHG say. In this form it will not work. You need to recreate all RTL based on logic of original schema, but made if fully synchronous. You can use PLL to boost original 8MHz clock to some high frequency clock to have a room for maneuvers, it definitely will help (ratio of speed of original circuit and speed of MAX FPGA will allow using of a LOT of ticks to implement logic that originally would be fit in one tick).
But it is not an easy task.

Alternatively you can try implement original schema, using low level primitives of FPGA and disabling optimization in synthesizer, but it quite hard and do not grantee result  :-// Timing of FPGA primitives is different from timing of original logic.

I can tr to implement the original schematics using Quartus primitives, the only doubt is how to model the RAM blocks (perhaps using the Quartus MegaWizard).How to disable optmization on Quartus snthesizer?
General Technical Chat / Re: What ICs are used in this rocket?
« Last post by Bud on Today at 09:45:22 pm »
Watch CuriousMarc channel, they often post on (at least vintage) space electronics teardowns and repair.
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDS3000X HD and upgraded SDS1000X HD
« Last post by Martin72 on Today at 09:44:15 pm »
Maybe we'll get to see something from Dave.

As I said, I can't imagine it.
Siglent sees the 3000 series as a kind of entry into their "Pro" series, even if the "X" suggests otherwise.
I imagine their expectations of a review are accordingly.
Taking the thing apart and commenting on it, then playing around with it a bit to get the 20...25min full won't be enough to send a copy for it.
Of course, I could be completely wrong and he would have received one long ago if it was available.
Because that's the point, you can't get it at the moment, the last updated date was the end of May and I think even that is at risk.

FPGA / Re: Help on translate schematics to Verilog.
« Last post by caius on Today at 09:43:15 pm »
For the PLL, what you want is a simple PLL, 8MHz in, 8MHz out.
It is the output phase you want to adjust.
Something like +/-45 degrees, or 90 degrees.

Remember, you want the PLL source clock to be a dedicated clock input pin.

Then, the output of the PLL should feed the verilog source code's input.

Originally I assumed you had your own verilog source module which was wired to the IO pins, which was wired to the source module you provided above.  This was where I thought you were inserting your custom PLL or LCELL logic.  Without having your own middle man module, I see how you may have difficulty adding your own middleman logic buffers, delays, inverters, or anything other logic you might be trying to add as a max10 is a little overkill for the provided logic.

I can try to implement a PLL if you assist me
- Yes, everything is new.

- I tried to solder using SMTC-0185 (the same size and shape I typically use with Hakko). I also tried STTC-125, STTC-136 but they had similar issue with heating up, but once I got solder to melt, they'd burn the flux and generally joint would look pretty bad, like insufficiently heated but also burnt if that makes sense.

I also had a smaller tip STTC-128 but that one would struggle with everything. It would take ages for it to melt solder.

- I tried that, I am pretty sure I've only used the port I had the hand piece connected to.

I am using K100LD Kester Lead Free solder.

When I am using Hakko, it is set to 350 degree.
Any ARRL Handbook. Though they are focus more on radio circuits, there is lots of stuff in them on test and measurement, power supplies and other generic stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next