Hey, you step away from the forum for just over a week on vacation and suddenly all hell breaks loose with pages of new posts… 😉
First of all, apologies that Florian and I didn’t respond earlier – we were both on vacation.
I’m happy to catch up now. A lot of points have already been raised here (thanks to everyone for that), but I’d still like to add my perspective as a representative of Batronix.
An additional bug was identified while testing my generator (my unit works fine).
Generator = ON. F = 50Mhz. Amplitude: 1Vpp
HiRes = OFF
Changing horizontal resolution:
20us and less = everything is fine
20us = amplitude of the signal is jittering
50us = only the DC offset (jittering) is on the screen
100us = jittering amplitude, etc.
In Roll mode:
50ms = jittering DC offset only
100ms = ok
200ms = only DC offset.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up and for sharing your detailed observations. I’m sorry to hear that your experience so far hasn’t been a positive one – that’s obviously not what we want.
However, something caught my attention in your original post above and in several of the follow-up screenshots:
In many of the screenshots, the memory depth was manually limited to 100 kpts. Given the time scales used, this naturally results in a significantly reduced sampling rate and thus undersampling for the signal frequency used. With the default setting (Auto Memory), the sampling rate would remain significantly higher - up to about 200 times higher. Using the “Auto (Max)” memory option would even increase it by a factor of up to 3200.
You likely set the memory depth intentionally and had your setup under control, but anyone quickly skimming through the posts might easily overlook this as the root cause of the low sampling rate and, consequently, the aliasing effect. The effect itself is well known; several videos from various manufacturers have already been shared, so I won’t go into that in detail again.
The default setting, Auto-Mem, would already solve the problem in most of the cases shown here (except in Roll Mode).
For roll mode - and for situations where the aliasing effect still appears because the sampling rate is below twice the signal frequency - the solution is to use the Peak Detect acquisition mode. This operates at the full sampling rate and effectively eliminates the issue.
2. Why is my scope dead? ONE wfps (without trigger)? Seriously? If/when I connect the probe to my PCB, I expect an immediate reaction from my scope. Ok, 10..20..30ms delay is acceptable. That means 20..30 wfps at least. Why does my scope turn to total crap at low time scale settings?
Could you share which settings you were using in that situation?
For example, did you have a fixed memory depth configured? That can significantly extend the acquisition time, as the scope waits until the defined number of points is filled. Also, was “extended capture” enabled in the Acquire menu?
3. hires mode. What do you expect? A4-sized paper sheet near my scope, where all BW limitations are calculated for each samplerate/bitrate settings? Ok, when selected, why is max averaging (that doesn't affect BW because of slow sample rate) not added? Or should users change these settings every time they change the time scale?
I’m not entirely sure if I’m interpreting your point correctly, but I think there might be two things mixed together here. HiRes and Average may look similar at first, but they serve different purposes: HiRes works within a single acquisition (useful for slower non-repetitive signals), while averaging operates across multiple acquisitions and only makes sense for stable, repetitive signals. Automatically enabling maximum averaging together with HiRes could therefore easily lead to misleading results depending on the signal.
4. Existing ''peak detection'' in Roll mode doesn't solve problems, mentioned in p.1 (some of the forum users mentioned this as a solution).
I’d be very interested in your exact setup in that case, as this should normally not occur when using Peak Detect. Perhaps you could share a screenshot or provide details of your setup with me or our service team?
If anyone is interested (350MHz + generator), please PM. Location: EU. Purchased one month ago.
Just to mention it: if you decide the Magnova isn’t for you, the return timeline shouldn’t be an issue - we’re quite flexible on that. You’re welcome to return it to us and we’ll refund your purchase, even if the 30 days have already passed. Just reach out to us directly by email.
We can also continue discussing this here or directly via email - whatever you prefer. I’d be happy to take a closer look and see if we can address your concerns.