Most people can't earn a living wage doing something that is fun or enjoyable to them and sometimes when you do something because you have to it ruins it for you. I have always found that it's best to keep the two parts of your life separate.
This goes for my audio engineering interest too -- I love the good parts of the work, and I really loathe the business side of it, especially so as trying to squeeze money out of promotors and club owners for work performed is like taking water from a stone.
I've got a small gig doing
pro bono audio consulting and engineering for a local outdoor venue. I only want my expenses paid, and I very much want them to succeed and continue their activity.
At work, I'm bordering audio, and that is enough. But my job is computer networks.
-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1236724;image)
This Tek-Demon appeared on my desk today... 
"He who fights with Test Equipment should look to it that he himself does not become a Test Equipment Anonymous. And if you gaze long into a Rabbit Hole, the Rabbit Hole also gazes into you."
~~ DOOMed TEA in 2021
Now you need to design a part in Frustion360 to print so you can put a nice civilized $10 digital camera on that bellows.
mnem
I'm worried. People are starting to talk about their failed marriages and describe their illnesses in unnecessary detail, while bemoaning the shitshow the world has turned into these days. Are we all becoming - hams? 
This thought has crossed my mind too.
TE: I did not buy a Fluke 52 today. Went both too expensively and while I was driving.
Most people can't earn a living wage doing something that is fun or enjoyable to them and sometimes when you do something because you have to it ruins it for you. I have always found that it's best to keep the two parts of your life separate.
This goes for my audio engineering interest too -- I love the good parts of the work, and I really loathe the business side of it, especially so as trying to squeeze money out of promotors and club owners for work performed is like taking water from a stone.
I've got a small gig doing pro bono audio consulting and engineering for a local outdoor venue. I only want my expenses paid, and I very much want them to succeed and continue their activity.
At work, I'm bordering audio, and that is enough. But my job is computer networks.
Same here, I loved the part of my job that involved me and the customer and their engineers / contractors, doing the design, schematics, quote, training the engineers on how to install it and doing any subsequent service calls if things don't quite go as planned, the bits I hated were the management monthly meetings and in general anything to do management at any level. In my view, management just did not really understand their market and how they as a small player fitted in when compared with the bigger corporate players
I'm lucky, I've always worked in a job that was interesting. Right from before I left school. I've had the odd unplanned move but that always seem to lead to an interesting change. No plan on ending the day job until they make me. Even then they tend to keep people like me (I'm accepted by various regulators as a SQEP and to make certification decisions) on as consultants after retirement as they need a certain level of cover to keep approvals. Currently I'm in a bit of the company I don't really like but am free to help other parts. I manage my own time and can pick and choose. Had an appraisal recently and said didn't think I'm in the right place and wasn't doing much for them (they cover my costs and the other parts get me for free) but they are more than happy with what I do with about 20% of my time on their stuff

Apparently the other parts of the group that get me for free gave me good feedback too. Money is good, not excessive. They have an engineering "stream" with similar levels to management so I don't have to be a manager to progress. I actually don't have to do any management crap. Get to travel (pre covid at least) enough to be interesting but not a pain. Often very short notice though. I could make a lot more working for myself but don't want all the crap that comes with running a business. Did have a limited Company for a while when doing some consulting. That was mainnly for liability reasons.
Guess I'm lucky.
I'm worried. People are starting to talk about their failed marriages and describe their illnesses in unnecessary detail, while bemoaning the shitshow the world has turned into these days. Are we all becoming - hams? 
I think there are unsavoury aspects to any job or productive activity, whether it be repetition, politics, boredom, etc.
Yep, there are even unsavoury aspects to being a ham.

The key difference for a hobby is you decide how to handle it, and you decide which rabbit holes to venture into and which to avoid.
For everything else, like work or marriages, the boss decides ...
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #200: Bicycle Chainring Guard (Part 2)
This is the dream (when it works

) of 3DP fulfilled; need a part, make a part. I've spent aboot CAD$30 fixing this old bike up so it could be ridden; the repair parts made for it saved me aboot $25.
Being able to make the battery pack for the headlight (the black thing on the side of the handlebar stem) saved me another $25 over anything even remotely comparable in quality, plus it allowed me to add a switch where even on the "premium" model one had to unplug the wire every time you quit.

As always, for those who care more details
over on the 3DP thread...mnem
ride.
ride. 
I did this morning! I feel good!
By the way, that chain guard actually looks really nice on that bike. The colour is just right and it goes perfectly with that style of bike
-- no chain guards on my bikes
Fireberd 6000A Communications Analyzer...
Not sure about this one. Look at photos #6 & #7. The installed modules are different and the serial numbers are not the same.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373648373434Would be more interesting if the serial module did automotive serial like ISO9141, KWP2000 or even ISO11898.
Somewhat tempting since I could arrange local pickup at either of their locations.
ride. 
I did this morning! I feel good! https://youtu.be/U5TqIdff_DQ
By the way, that chain guard actually looks really nice on that bike. The colour is just right and it goes perfectly with that style of bike 
-- no chain guards on my bikes
Thanks! The bike was a curb-score last summer; it languished in the back of my garage while I fiddle-farted around with several other junkers and building the new ones until I didn't have a garage anymore and...

Anyways... it was too good a bike to let go to the tip; I'm glad I rescued it. Even if it does beat the ever-livin' hell outta my back to ride it, even with that shock-absorber seatpost and suspension forks, which amazingly, still work.

It also weighs less than half what my fatbike does... if I ever do get myself down to a sane weight, it'll be a joy to ride.
mnem
These logic analysers are getting fancy. This one even has a beard
Haha, whats more he has a grey beard and he certainly looks as if he has an attitude... is that a photo of Med?
Now you need to design a part in Frustion360 to print so you can put a nice civilized $10 digital camera on that bellows.
mnem

Haha, that is true

I need to learn CAE first... My suffering shall be legendary

These logic analysers are getting fancy. This one even has a beard 
Epic

Looks like an ancient Greek! Which component will fail first? Heart, Liver, Eyes or Brain? Does his logic analysis base on Aristotle or is he more of Heidegger?
Hope they poke some holes in the shipping box so he can breathe!
-Pat
I learned something when I looked up the wikipedia definition of SQEP.
-- Let's go with that one
On the road again, so followed that Wikipedia rabbit-hole for a few minutes...

Quite frankly, that is a bit horrifying... Especially considering how much nuclear energy there is in this region...
mnem
Hell no, we don't want to glow...!
I learned something when I looked up the wikipedia definition of SQEP.
-- Let's go with that one
On the road again, so followed that Wikipedia rabbit-hole for a few minutes... 
Quite frankly, that is a bit horrifying... Especially considering how much nuclear energy there is in this region...
mnem
Hell no, we don't want to glow...!
My other collection habit is radiation detectors and radioactive samples. I have several that glow in the dark
Ooooh, I need something that will produce Cherenkov radiation to keep looters out.

Mmmmmmm... Tastes kind of...
purple...
mnem
...mixed with burnt pennies...

Mmmmmmm... Tastes kind of... purple...
mnem
...mixed with burnt pennies...
... and that, lovely children, is the story of how the dragon got it's magic powers.
But for now, it's time to sleep.
Ooooh, I need something that will produce Cherenkov radiation to keep looters out.
You need something like
20F sending out electrons with an energy of about 5391keV.
This should do the job and produce a nice Cerenkov-blue-radiation.