Gone are the days when the only thing that you needed to do something with your oscilloscope were some probes.
I'm looking for a keyboard for the incoming TDS5104 now. It should be as compact as possible and best would be one with an integrated trackball. I found a Siemens Nixdorf one with a touchpad, which has the desired PS2 interfaces (2, as one for the keyboard and one for the pointing function). But knowing that S-N gear was in many cases not really compatible with anything else, I am a bit wary. Looking on. If someone does know a unit fulfilling the requirements outlined above, please let me know..
Gone are the days when the only thing that you needed to do something with your oscilloscope were some probes.
I'm looking for a keyboard for the incoming TDS5104 now. It should be as compact as possible and best would be one with an integrated trackball. I found a Siemens Nixdorf one with a touchpad, which has the desired PS2 interfaces (2, as one for the keyboard and one for the pointing function). But knowing that S-N gear was in many cases not really compatible with anything else, I am a bit wary. Looking on. If someone does know a unit fulfilling the requirements outlined above, please let me know..
Gone are the days when the only thing that you needed to do something with your oscilloscope were some probes.
I'm looking for a keyboard for the incoming TDS5104 now. It should be as compact as possible and best would be one with an integrated trackball. I found a Siemens Nixdorf one with a touchpad, which has the desired PS2 interfaces (2, as one for the keyboard and one for the pointing function). But knowing that S-N gear was in many cases not really compatible with anything else, I am a bit wary. Looking on. If someone does know a unit fulfilling the requirements outlined above, please let me know..
I have one of these http://www.riitek.com/product/k12x.html
Bluetooth, touchpad, usable keyboard with some tactile feedback.
Gone are the days when the only thing that you needed to do something with your oscilloscope were some probes.
I'm looking for a keyboard for the incoming TDS5104 now. It should be as compact as possible and best would be one with an integrated trackball. I found a Siemens Nixdorf one with a touchpad, which has the desired PS2 interfaces (2, as one for the keyboard and one for the pointing function). But knowing that S-N gear was in many cases not really compatible with anything else, I am a bit wary. Looking on. If someone does know a unit fulfilling the requirements outlined above, please let me know..
You probably want a Cherry ML4400 G84-4400PPADE/01 keyboard. This kind of keyboards were widely used in 19 inch server racks.
Example: https://www.ebay.de/itm/273797654692
...then measure the same voltage but using the HV probe, note difference and run the math to know what error is introduced by the probe, and take that into account... or calibrate it out of course if the probe has such a luxury.
That would be Calibration and Adjustment, not Calibration only.
![]()
/HTH, HAND
Edit: My probes are calibrated with the meter they came in a kit. I trust them, but have of course pondered how to create a suitably high DC voltage to make a dent in the reading while also having a non-probe-fitted meter that will measure it.
It's not so clear to me. the Tek manuals for my old scopes, to me, make it sound like Tek uses "adjustments" in order to perform the "calibration". So the calibration is the act of .. well acting on the scope so that it meet its spec again. The "adjustments" are the form that this act, takes.
In French we use the term "Etalonné", that's not ambiguous and means that performance has been checked/measured, but measured only. No action has been taken to correct anything.
When we say "calibrate", in contrast, that means acting has been performed on the TE to bring it back to spec. Said action of course is in the form of adjustments... rarely in the form of a sledge hammer, or throwing the TE out the window from the 5th floor...
I don't know if there is a word in English like that, to clearly say that the performance has been checked but no adjustments have been made. You say that's the very meaning of " calibration", but reading Tek manuals, it's not how they use the term.Well, the way I read it of course... I am not a native English of course...
If fear there might be some difference between the rosy world of a dictionary definition of the term "calibrate", and how it gets used in practice.This has always been my understanding as well, I have workshop manuals that refer to calibration, then they proceed to instruct you in the test parameters are and what to adjust if the equipment does not match the reading that the manual states. The manuals also give a performance check section, again where they tell you what parameters to set up, and they also tell you what indicated values you expect to, this section of the manuals is then followed by the calibration section.
With that in mind, when you send something away to be calibrated, I would expect them to conduct a performance check and note down the ranges that fell into the pass mark parameters the manual gives and then move onto making adjustments where possible to the ranges that did not make the pass mark, and adjust them until they did achieve the pass mark status. Seems logical to me
Only problem left is the trace moving up and down a bit. With now zero filtering on the voltage divider, plus crappy caps decoupling that pre-amp supply... no wonder. So I will replace these x3 10uF caps and I guess it should get rid of that problem !





...then measure the same voltage but using the HV probe, note difference and run the math to know what error is introduced by the probe, and take that into account... or calibrate it out of course if the probe has such a luxury.
That would be Calibration and Adjustment, not Calibration only.
![]()
/HTH, HAND
Edit: My probes are calibrated with the meter they came in a kit. I trust them, but have of course pondered how to create a suitably high DC voltage to make a dent in the reading while also having a non-probe-fitted meter that will measure it.
It's not so clear to me. the Tek manuals for my old scopes, to me, make it sound like Tek uses "adjustments" in order to perform the "calibration". So the calibration is the act of .. well acting on the scope so that it meet its spec again. The "adjustments" are the form that this act, takes.
In French we use the term "Etalonné", that's not ambiguous and means that performance has been checked/measured, but measured only. No action has been taken to correct anything.
When we say "calibrate", in contrast, that means acting has been performed on the TE to bring it back to spec. Said action of course is in the form of adjustments... rarely in the form of a sledge hammer, or throwing the TE out the window from the 5th floor...
I don't know if there is a word in English like that, to clearly say that the performance has been checked but no adjustments have been made. You say that's the very meaning of " calibration", but reading Tek manuals, it's not how they use the term.Well, the way I read it of course... I am not a native English of course...
If fear there might be some difference between the rosy world of a dictionary definition of the term "calibrate", and how it gets used in practice.This has always been my understanding as well, I have workshop manuals that refer to calibration, then they proceed to instruct you in the test parameters are and what to adjust if the equipment does not match the reading that the manual states. The manuals also give a performance check section, again where they tell you what parameters to set up, and they also tell you what indicated values you expect to, this section of the manuals is then followed by the calibration section.
With that in mind, when you send something away to be calibrated, I would expect them to conduct a performance check and note down the ranges that fell into the pass mark parameters the manual gives and then move onto making adjustments where possible to the ranges that did not make the pass mark, and adjust them until they did achieve the pass mark status. Seems logical to me
All well and good until you consider that calibration labs also do weights, rulers, micrometers and many other things that cannot be adjusted. A proper calibration lab will always differentiate between calibration and adjustment; Mick, who can "Calibrate your tester for you gov." probably won't.
however just having good gear doesn't mean they have competent staff to use it. 


Study the attached PDF Performance verification report (part of) and it demonstrates how some staff get into positions where they should know how properly to use 50 Ohm inputs but don't.
Study the attached PDF Performance verification report (part of) and it demonstrates how some staff get into positions where they should know how properly to use 50 Ohm inputs but don't.
Oh... wow.... I hope at least that the guy got his money back and some apologies !

Results after a 2 hour continuous run.....
I'm calling it fixed. The HV Oscillator is loafing along at a stable 72V. Mounty.....please let Herr Felgendreher know that the repair was indeed successful and tell him how much I appreciate his efforts. He does some excellent work.
So onward and upward with the balance of the restoration/recap/calibration.

Don't ya just hate the smell of burning flesh![]()
Pineapple and Bits o' Pig are a taste combination made in heaven... mixed with any form of tomato sauce, not so much.
mnem
and fuck anchovies. with a shovel.
Do these connectors fit for an old HP3400A?
If the [hp] is made in what was then West Germany, yes, they probably fit. I've got a Model 400h VTVM made in the early Bundesrepublik that takes that connector.
It's an US one.
It's a GPIB printer, looks like basically an heavy-duty receipt printer, I guess it mostly just prints out screenshots.
I have the enhanced printer software already, so should be fun to play with (I'll have to replace/3D print the cosmetic plastic front and rear trim pieces too).
Gone are the days when the only thing that you needed to do something with your oscilloscope were some probes.
I'm looking for a keyboard for the incoming TDS5104 now. It should be as compact as possible and best would be one with an integrated trackball. I found a Siemens Nixdorf one with a touchpad, which has the desired PS2 interfaces (2, as one for the keyboard and one for the pointing function). But knowing that S-N gear was in many cases not really compatible with anything else, I am a bit wary. Looking on. If someone does know a unit fulfilling the requirements outlined above, please let me know..
I have one of these http://www.riitek.com/product/k12x.html
Bluetooth, touchpad, usable keyboard with some tactile feedback.Nice, except for the Bluetooth, which has (imo) no place at the lab bench.
no. But the data should be recoverable.
It's a GPIB printer, looks like basically an heavy-duty receipt printer, I guess it mostly just prints out screenshots.
I have the enhanced printer software already, so should be fun to play with (I'll have to replace/3D print the cosmetic plastic front and rear trim pieces too).Announcement instead of content: From Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN is no longer available in the EEA and the United Kingdom
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1047442985
From Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN is no longer available in the EEA and the United Kingdom
Please be informed that from Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN’s services are no longer available to our users in the EEA (European Economic Area) and the United Kingdom, as it has been determined by Yahoo! JAPAN that providing a continuous service environment in these regions would be difficult. Please note that services listed under “Services available after Wednesday, April 6, 2022” below will continue to be available.
Please note that all Yahoo! JAPAN services are accessible after this date if access is made from Japan.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.