Oxy is my weapon of choice
I am useless on stick welding

I have tried a well set up friend's MIG and liked it - never tried TIG - but I can't justify getting a good TIG setup for the little I would use it.
I still have the inherited oxy-acet regulators - the local gas supply company used to charge 'rent' on the cylinders - up to $300/yr - highway robbery.

As a young lad managed to give myself 'zinc fume fever' - my GP wasn't aware of it (residential area) but the guys at my father's Uni metal workshop all had a good laugh!

Oxy is my weapon of choiceWas mine too at 14 when I went in halves with dad for a set. Happily he paid for the gas and rods and he got lots of stuff fixed and built in exchange.QuoteI am useless on stick weldingLOL we all were once ! After piles of molten steel blow throughs are dancing all around you pinky's you learn real quick to keep the molten stuff in the weld pool.QuoteI have tried a well set up friend's MIG and liked it - never tried TIG - but I can't justify getting a good TIG setup for the little I would use it.MIG is great and easier to keep control of the molten pool as it doesn't have the arc push of stick welding.
TIG is a lot like oxy in that it's quite versatile but more suited to small mass and/or thin metals. Good for Ali too but you really need HF start otherwise you risk contaminating the electrode if you stick it trying to get a start.
Technique is the key for both MIG and TIG as Mig require an uphand weld while TIG downhand like oxy.
Arc is much different and depends on rod types and welding positions with vertical mostly uphand and most other positions downhand. Practice and initially a good overseer can have you making fine welds in no time.QuoteI still have the inherited oxy-acet regulators - the local gas supply company used to charge 'rent' on the cylinders - up to $300/yr - highway robbery.
Yep we got that obnoxious behaviour from the big 2 gas suppliers here too. The bastards used to sell bottles so with some investment you were able to exchange MT's and run just for the price of a fill but the buggers phased that out a few years back so I went to a new supplier that would fill anyone's bottles subject to being 'in test' for just the price of a fill.QuoteAs a young lad managed to give myself 'zinc fume fever' - my GP wasn't aware of it (residential area) but the guys at my father's Uni metal workshop all had a good laugh!I worked with quite a bit of galv pipe in those early days and for sure it's not pleasant to use just oxy on. Arc is lots better but still you can smoke the shop out with zinc fumes. I try to do all galv welding at the door so the breeze can carry the fumes elsewhere whereas with oxy the breeze is an enemy to be avoided but less so with arc.


Needs far more U's to be useful for real TEA
I am thinking about building a bench topped Gear Rack but todays job is a flip top Router Table for last weeks repair.
Our equivalent over here has had a long and pretty serious article on EMC, co-written by some clued amateurs, the interference hunters at Elsäkerhetsverket (Electrical Safety Authority) and the technical manager of the local utility company where they went on a hunt and found a couple of isolators on a utility pole intermittently drenching the entire HF band in crap.Now that's reasoned. All we get usually is some old luddites whining about all technological progression causing QRM on 80m so they can't exchange weekly ailment reports/







Edit: I'm not sure how strong it is as the surfaces are made of fartboard and this is no med class job but it might suffice.

Edit: I'm not sure how strong it is as the surfaces are made of fartboard and this is no med class job but it might suffice.
They will be 1% stronger than is anticipated necessary for their intended use.
Sometimes Ikea gets it wrong, e.g. a 2m high cabinet mirror mounted on a fibreboard door. During delivery the mirror flexed sufficiently that the fibreboard creased.
Despite that, I like the "doing more with less" attitude of their engineering.

I saw this earlier. An interesting Ikea rack hack which might suit TE use cases.
Buy two Ikea Lack tables (£6 here for the white one), turn one upside down and stick some Rill castors on it. The picture below doesn't depict it but drill some holes into the legs and stick the other lack surface on the top. Seems to fit 19" stuff nicely. Also turns into a nice side table for the living room
Edit: I'm not sure how strong it is as the surfaces are made of fartboard and this is no med class job but it might suffice.
As a young lad managed to give myself 'zinc fume fever' - my GP wasn't aware of it (residential area) but the guys at my father's Uni metal workshop all had a good laugh!
As a young lad managed to give myself 'zinc fume fever' - my GP wasn't aware of it (residential area) but the guys at my father's Uni metal workshop all had a good laugh!
Milk is the cure, IIRC.
I saw this earlier. An interesting Ikea rack hack which might suit TE use cases.
And there isn't one in NY. The closest one is in Paramus, New Jersey.I'm more of a Rittal person in 19" hardware.
It's very well engineered to a price point. Which IMNSHO is the true art in engineering, doing things just right. Anyone can overspec, that's fairly easy, actually. But optimization is way harder.
@Med there is one right next to Newark Int'l.
Can anyone of our US friends look into getting https://www.ebay.de/itm/223981992003 this for me ? He declined my offers and said that he was not going to ship internationally.
Cheers
Saskia
I just got back from the Px and the grocery; peeked in to hear Pat & Saskia gabbling about old vs new DSOs and found FireFlump didn't wanna talk to my mic, so I bailed. meh.
mnem
*toddles off to go walkies with the kiddles*Interesting topic, especially as I was quite amazed to hear MNEMs faint praise for the much maligned 2430.
This scope was even wrongly described as an A/D hybrid akin to the 2335, which it isn't, because it is always sampling. After having used a slower DSO, it was the scope giving me the 'WHOA, that is what a DSO can do' effect back when I encountered it first. Tek 2430/2440 remains as my backup and it is the scope that you can expect me to operate even when half asleep. We just got very intimate over the time and I know where is what and what to expect. Apart from the known vulnerability of cooking chips when the fan fails, it is one of Tektronix major strikes.


Oxy is my weapon of choice - as it was available - I am useless on stick welding - I have tried a well set up friend's MIG and liked it - never tried TIG - but I can't justify getting a good TIG setup for the little I would use it. I still have the inherited oxy-acet regulators - the local gas supply company used to charge 'rent' on the cylinders - up to $300/yr - highway robbery. You can now get disposable oxy-acet set ups - terrible regulators but usable for the little stuff I use it for.
As a young lad managed to give myself 'zinc fume fever' - my GP wasn't aware of it (residential area) but the guys at my father's Uni metal workshop all had a good laugh!
(Never stopped me either
)
Stick and MIG are for the heavy shit... TIG is for anything even remotely resembling precision work.
I saw this earlier. An interesting Ikea rack hack which might suit TE use cases.Buy two Ikea Lack tables (£6 here for the white one), turn one upside down and stick some Rill castors on it. The picture below doesn't depict it but drill some holes into the legs and stick the other lack surface on the top. Seems to fit 19" stuff nicely. Also turns into a nice side table for the living room
Edit: I'm not sure how strong it is as the surfaces are made of fartboard and this is no med class job but it might suffice.
Still, not a bad way to "knock something together quick & dirty" when you need it. Jupiter 2000 was the FG I took to university with me. I was the only one with a lab in the halls
I could only afford to take some pliers/cutters, multimeter, and a homebrew 8038 oscillator.
I never used the oscillator since I could use those in the university labs.
I still have the multimeter, but don't use it.
45 years later, I use the cutters and pliers daily