New find ;-) ... i need to stop this..... will arive in 2 days...
Militairy Fluke... waterprove box.
tggzzz has one of them. Rather nice bit of kit!
Most WAN stuff these days is a complete bodge I have found even if the protocol stack being used is sensible. Right in the middle of one now which involves 4 parties (DC, us, Amazon, MPLS provider) trying to get a redundant 10GbE link up to two DCs. No one appears to have thrown any failure scenarios at it. "oh so if this port goes down, what happens?". Silence apparently! I'm not even the bloody network guy but in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king. And my remaining eye has astigmatism.
Well, I am the network guy ;-) And I've been around long enough to realise that "MPLS Provider" and "10GE link" are sort of mutually exclusive. It'll be more like a "7,2Gbit link". We found out the hard way. Wavelengths and not only that, waves that occupy an entire ITU Grid channel (so ${CARRIER} can't chaos-TDM them via the Netgear-class switch in the WDM "multiservices" card.. ) are the only way to be certain. That, and nukes from orbit.
Yes exactly that. I started asking awkward questions about encapsulation, encryption and throughput. I'm still trying to get someone to draw a damn picture of what it looks like. At the moment it's all unicorn shit and sales folk. Mention BGP and they switch to parseltongue.
And all web programmers should be behind 200ms latency, and only be allowed a text console.
Completely agree.
Right back to work!
terminal + vi is everything what you need 
I did agree. I'm actually using VScode at the moment. TEA archive script horrible date format parser in progress:

Edit: btw for the caffeine whiners back a few hundred pages, I have switched to freshly ground coffee brewed in a press now after accidentally buying a bag of beans
Amazing hoe many people have moved and adopted VScode.
Probably the second best tool from Microsoft after OneNote
New find ;-) ... i need to stop this..... will arive in 2 days...
Militairy Fluke... waterprove box.
Sometimes these waterproof military cases are the only thing that have saved these instruments from destruction. Although having a serious dent in the cover this nice AN/USM-326A counter looks and works like new.
Amazing hoe many people have moved and adopted VScode.
For py stuff I use pycharm community. Should I give VScode a shot?
I'm stymied by a 125ma fuse. Sucks. Be here tomorrow.
I know, that some TEA members have bought a NanoVNA 2.
A few minutes ago I've found this email in my inbox:
(You are receiving this email because you've ordered a NanoVNA V2 from
our store on Tindie).
Hi, we've recently seen a large amount of ePacket shipments take over
60 days to arrive. We are in contact with China Post, who said that
that packages are slow to leave Shanghai airport due to lack of
flights. We would greatly appreciate your patience at this time, and
apologize for the inconvenience caused. China Post has assured us that
your shipments are not lost, they are just waiting for a flight.
Following Aliexpress's moves we will be extending the order protection
time to 120 days. If your order does not arrive within 120 days of
shipment, or if tracking shows that the package has been returned,
please contact us and we will be sure to give you a resolution.
If you have any questions please use the nanovna-v2 support forum,
which we check regularly:
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2/topics
Thanks
- HJ
Just in case, if you are curious where your NanoVNA 2 is.
Thanks for the update. I don't have a NanoVNA 2 on order, but I've been waiting on some other stuff from China and earlier heard the same issue — lack of outbound flights.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000199637975.htmlUmmm... oklay... so this isn't the correct vendor on AliEx anymore...? Or is the difference that the ones being sold on the Tindie Store have been "calibrated"...?
Kindof discouraging, especially since they're now showing 144 pieces in stock with delivery by end of June...
mnem
New find ;-) ... i need to stop this..... will arive in 2 days...
Militairy Fluke... waterprove box.
Sometimes these waterproof military cases are the only thing that have saved these instruments from destruction. Although having a serious dent in the cover this nice AN/USM-326A counter looks and works like new.
Woow, that is a nice looking device! as you say, like new, kudo's!
knocking-off time hammer:
That must be made in Germany. Every German tool maker I know of have made Flaschenöffner; I've got Rittal and Wera here, and I'm hoping for Wiha next Adventskalender month..
Sure, where else?

Amazon has some collections of these Flaschenöffner:
I know, that some TEA members have bought a NanoVNA 2.
A few minutes ago I've found this email in my inbox:
(You are receiving this email because you've ordered a NanoVNA V2 from
our store on Tindie).
Hi, we've recently seen a large amount of ePacket shipments take over
60 days to arrive. We are in contact with China Post, who said that
that packages are slow to leave Shanghai airport due to lack of
flights. We would greatly appreciate your patience at this time, and
apologize for the inconvenience caused. China Post has assured us that
your shipments are not lost, they are just waiting for a flight.
Following Aliexpress's moves we will be extending the order protection
time to 120 days. If your order does not arrive within 120 days of
shipment, or if tracking shows that the package has been returned,
please contact us and we will be sure to give you a resolution.
If you have any questions please use the nanovna-v2 support forum,
which we check regularly:
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2/topics
Thanks
- HJ
Just in case, if you are curious where your NanoVNA 2 is.
Thanks for the update. I don't have a NanoVNA 2 on order, but I've been waiting on some other stuff from China and earlier heard the same issue — lack of outbound flights.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000199637975.html
Ummm... oklay... so this isn't the correct vendor on AliEx anymore...? Or is the difference that the ones being sold on the Tindie Store have been "calibrated"...?
Kindof discouraging, especially since they're now showing 144 pieces in stock with delivery by end of June...
mnem

Crab.... there is a V2 ??
not directly TEA, but I've bought today this nice printer:
Brother MFC L8690CDW
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283773255940
I needed a printer with scan / copy functionality, because my old beloved HP LaserJet 4000N doesn't have this.
And, as a bonus: I can print now colours
I know, that some TEA members have bought a NanoVNA 2.
A few minutes ago I've found this email in my inbox:
(You are receiving this email because you've ordered a NanoVNA V2 from
our store on Tindie).
Hi, we've recently seen a large amount of ePacket shipments take over
60 days to arrive. We are in contact with China Post, who said that
that packages are slow to leave Shanghai airport due to lack of
flights. We would greatly appreciate your patience at this time, and
apologize for the inconvenience caused. China Post has assured us that
your shipments are not lost, they are just waiting for a flight.
Following Aliexpress's moves we will be extending the order protection
time to 120 days. If your order does not arrive within 120 days of
shipment, or if tracking shows that the package has been returned,
please contact us and we will be sure to give you a resolution.
If you have any questions please use the nanovna-v2 support forum,
which we check regularly:
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2/topics
Thanks
- HJ
Just in case, if you are curious where your NanoVNA 2 is.
Thanks for the update. I don't have a NanoVNA 2 on order, but I've been waiting on some other stuff from China and earlier heard the same issue — lack of outbound flights.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000199637975.html
Ummm... oklay... so this isn't the correct vendor on AliEx anymore...? Or is the difference that the ones being sold on the Tindie Store have been "calibrated"...?
Kindof discouraging, especially since they're now showing 144 pieces in stock with delivery by end of June...
mnem

Crab.... there is a V2 ?? 
There is a V2 Nanovna. There is also an H4. And a fork focused on higher frequency performance (don't remember the name). There is a lot of discussion about clones, fakes, etc, too. If you are wanting to follow the drama that is nanovna, join the group over on groups.io...
A very new Tektronix 475 with DM44. The function is normal, the only regret is that the back frame was broken by logistics.
You bought one of those NOS military backlog ones from a while back...?
How did the damage claim go...? Was the damage structural, or just the feet, which rot with age and turn into Oreo cookie crumblies anyways?
Rack of ribs has been rubbed with Montreal Steak seasoning, seared both sides & slathered in a layer of the good stuff; now for the "Texas Crutch" : Seal it all up in aluminum foil and roast at 275-295°F. In a couple hours should be fall off the bone tender and ready for the final coats of sauce. 
mnem
yummeh.
Man, oh man, oh man. It's too late at night to suddenly be so hungry.
Yum!
It's okay... the danger has passed. They literally did not last long enough to get cold.

mnem
You missed the best pro framing hammer Estwing ever made:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224V9/ref=dp_cerb_1
Nope. I've had several, and the 25-oz Big Blue beats 'em all hollow; and honestly, so do the Utra Series for getting work done. Estwing's implementation of the magnetic nail starter is a game-changer.
When I worked interior construction & make-ready out of a Bucket Boss, the E22L (same hammer in leather grip) was my "everyday" hammer; again, an awesome peg-beater. Too effing long for a toolbox hammer tho. 
Grand-dad was a great bear of a man... he favored a E30L in leather grip. That fucking this is a toothpick short of a post maul. 
mnem
*mallet-head*
Right, 45 years ago as a new apprentice we were issued with ya std blue 20oz Estwing and they were a pretty good hammer and a few years later I bought a leather handled one that I used for some years and it's still with me minus a few leather rings. 
Way back when, Estwing made their name with leather handled offerings as it was before the days synthetic handles yet in a lifetime affiliated with the trades it's very rare to see a tradesman swinging leather handled Estwings here, maybe the climate here doesn't suit the leather as it's not unusual to need to work in the wet when a job has to be done.
There's very good reason the 20oz has been the universal trademans hammer as it's versatile enough for framing and finishing but more the weight of it is such that the average guy can spend his working life swinging 20oz without the wrist or elbow problems that force some from the trade.
I well remember my first day being assigned to a 3rd year apprentice nailing bone dry ceiling battens underneath bone dry trusses.....I thought my arm was gunna fall off !
No nail guns in them days and the oldies didn't like the piss thin nails they shot so reckoned they were only good for sissies ! 
Used the 24oz's later in life but didn't like them as they are too heavy for the av guy and not versatile like the little 20oz. An uncle got the 24oz when in the states and he loved it primarily for fencing where he could reach staples on the bottom wire from the wrong side of the fence.
The 22oz I have now is hard to beat except for finishing as it's got the cross hatched head but the straight claw for demo work is better than anything else I've used except in close quarters work where you can stab yourself with the backswing if not awake to it. 
Cross hatched heads are something many have never had experience with but when you've never lost staple since using one speaks volumes IME.
Only had mine for 10 years now and would replace it with the same in an instant......now we can get them in NZ. 
Yes the 24oz can bash a 4" nail in with a single hit but try that all day and you'll be wishing for a hammer with a little less weight
Yeah, I think the difference here is the user for sure. Just as some are better suited to swing a Claymore and some a Roman Shortsword or a Rapier, some feel more at home with a heavier thwacker in hand. I always liked the feel of the 22L for general use, but Estwing's Ultra series are simply a better balanced (more weight at the head) hammer with just the right arc for my old ape arms. I can get more different kinds of work done correctly and quicker with one of them without damaging the base material. But if I'm JUST framing... I prefer the big guns. A 22-25 oz Big Blue is still my preferred hammer for rough carpentry work; but ALWAYS in smooth-face. I don't need the crutch of a milled face, and I loathe the damage it does to the base material and to wiring especially.
Grand-dad taught me (in the machinist's tradition) how to swing solid and true at a young age; he felt (and quite rightly, IMO) that if you couldn't be arsed to learn how to swing a hammer correctly you were "no better than a caveman with a club". He also taught me how to choose and wield a hammer differently for different tasks; just like with a bat, you "choke up" on the grip when you need more control and a light tap-tap.
That skill has served me well on the farm, as a carpenter, as a mechanic, and as a Engineer in multiple disciplines; and the knowledge that even with something as fundamental as a hammer, "There is a correct tool for the job" has ALSO served me well in all the varied disciplines of my life.

mnem
Most WAN stuff these days is a complete bodge I have found even if the protocol stack being used is sensible. Right in the middle of one now which involves 4 parties (DC, us, Amazon, MPLS provider) trying to get a redundant 10GbE link up to two DCs. No one appears to have thrown any failure scenarios at it. "oh so if this port goes down, what happens?". Silence apparently! I'm not even the bloody network guy but in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king. And my remaining eye has astigmatism.
Well, I am the network guy ;-) And I've been around long enough to realise that "MPLS Provider" and "10GE link" are sort of mutually exclusive. It'll be more like a "7,2Gbit link". We found out the hard way. Wavelengths and not only that, waves that occupy an entire ITU Grid channel (so ${CARRIER} can't chaos-TDM them via the Netgear-class switch in the WDM "multiservices" card.. ) are the only way to be certain. That, and nukes from orbit.
Yes exactly that. I started asking awkward questions about encapsulation, encryption and throughput. I'm still trying to get someone to draw a damn picture of what it looks like. At the moment it's all unicorn shit and sales folk. Mention BGP and they switch to parseltongue.
Ask them if the "redundancy" goes via the Isle of Dogs (or relies on a NOC on there) and then ask them whether they go through
both the fibre pinch points there or only one of them.
Hopefully this isn't true any more, but a few years back there were only two routes that fibre took into the Docklands. Not just one service provider's fibre but everybody's. Essentially there were two manhole covers and if you blew both of them up then the UK's Internet and telephones basically stopped working. It turned out that a lot of people's 'redundant' routing ran through two or more service providers, but the actual physical fibre routes went through just one of the pinch points. We discovered this when we started considering the LINX as National Critical Infrastructure and had the muscle to actually force people to show us their fibre maps. We also later discovered that we weren't the first people to spot this. Anybody who knew this at the time kept quiet about it as advertising a target like that would be somewhat irresponsible - especially considering that the IRA once managed to detonate a lorry full of ANFO in the middle of the Docklands. There's been enough fibre dug around there since that I'm reasonably confident that this is no longer true, but you know how these things work so I wouldn't be overly surprised if it still wasn't fixed.
As usual, I find myself behind in the conversation. Yes, I actually went through 30 pages or so to catch up, instead of asking Cubdriver for a synopsis 
Anyway, in the meantime I ordered a SSD from a shop 500m away from my office to be delivered home 50km away and instead it shipped from near a dwagon lair 500km away. It felt like it took forever, but now my Windows7 desktop works again. It actually was forever, since bd139 was able to order a SSD, send it back, order the correct SDD and receive it in less time than the shop took to send mine out... and then delivery took a long time after that 
With a working computer again, I topped up my Digikey shopping list with an ESD mat to get free shipping and was surprised at the price. I took a second look and found a nice ESD mat on ebay based on this recommendation: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/so-what_s-a-decent-but-cheap-esd-workbench-mat/msg1354206/#msg1354206. So now I have what I want; the mat also shipped from near the dwagon lair, but this time only took 5 days from order to delivery.
However, what I need is stuck in a Digikey shoppping list for $2, only $98 short of free shipping. 
At least the money saved can go to TEA, right? WRONG. SWMBO reminded me that the garcon is almost old enough to be allowed to play Minecraft; we have been telling him for almost two years that he needed to wait until he was old enough. I took a look and it turns out our home office computer (the one mentioned above that needed the SSD replacement) is the only machine we have that is capable of running that game. So, it is time for a new home desktop, which is not as good as TEA, but will be a nice upgrade. Not only that, but I have not assembled a computer in over 15 years now.
The recent recommendations on computer components in this thread might be wee bit expensive since the budget will be approximately $1000CAD; of course I will do my best to let it go a bit over budget (shhhh).
With computers being a common topic, I did try to pull my old laptop off the dust pile and fire it up. I thought it only sat there on the pile a few months. Must have been longer since it was next to useless. It has an Intel N270 running Windows XP
Time to experiment; I am thinking of trying xubuntu 18 but open to recommendations of suitable OS for a small boat anchor.
I like this one; it's "Classic Linus" style.

Note that Linus is using the same case I chose for my Ryzen 7 Build; mostly for the
PSU Channel/cavity design with glass side and dual 120/140mm top rad and dual/triple 120/240mm front rad for $37 on the ShellShocker. This configuration, IMO, is a MINIMUM requirement for any modern build. The fact mine came with RGB lighting was a "Meh..." point for me; it meant I could color-coordinate with my LED thermometer, but once the LED color was set to blue, I disabled the color management and forgot about it.
Good building!
mnem