The only rusty equipment I've ever seen is Tek.
The only rusty equipment I've ever seen is Tek. 
I bought a Mastech power supply from Rapid once and it was rusty when new
The only rusty equipment I've ever seen is Tek. 
Doing your business blindfolded is quite a feat.
Interesting video 
The trousers! OMG, the trousers!
Wonder if she tested the cap before powering the device. ESR was probably really high.
Wonder if she tested the cap before powering the device. ESR was probably really high.
I was wondering about that “without warning” too.
There were definitely several warnings but they went unmeasured and unheeded.
Now that was a dumbass move.

He's lucky. Was going to work on the 485 this morning but got a frantic phone call because someone's computer is all jammed up. Not the first time and I'm certain won't be the last. Through the wonders of Teamviewer I'm in the process of unfucking it. You'd be flabbergasted to know who this person is. More later.
In the meantime I did determine that the slope switch is hopelessly jammed. But won't you know it the 465B uses same value slope/level assembly. So I harvested one out of my 465B parts mule. And of course the shaft was slightly bent....they all get whacked....but I was able to straighten it out. Now I just have to wire it in and mount it, after I get done playing Mr. Computer Fix-it.
Got cheaper - £5.60 in the end from Rapid inc delivery.
Are you sure it's correct? I'm asking because the eBay one has 6 pins and Rapid one is only 4 pins?
Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Interesting video 
Haha, been there many years ago and that was on an old valve(TUBE) amplifier and that was a big old bastard.
Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
"Waugh... Waugh... Waugh!!!"
mnem
"Arrrou...?"
I THINK this is all of them in one long "Uurrrrk...!"
mnem
*cringe*
Got cheaper - £5.60 in the end from Rapid inc delivery.
Are you sure it's correct? I'm asking because the eBay one has 6 pins and Rapid one is only 4 pins?
Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Yeah only the rear 4 are used in the scope. DPST is needed but the one in it is a DPDT with 2 pins not connected.
Does it use the extra pins as anchor points for strength, or is the crossbar actually screwed to something?
mnem
Bar is screwed down so I'm not too worried about losing the extra two pins.
Mount is as follows:

As you can see from the switch, the flange that holds the spring on has broken off and the latching pin has gone AWOL (probably what blew the scope up to start with!).
I'm not convinced HP's idea to screw a standoff onto the shaft was a great idea (the 18 inch long power switch screws into that)

Some of those, the last loop of the compression spring itself retains the ratchet pawl, like on this one. I'm thinking the clip that retains the other end of the spring went south. Actually, are you sure that's original? Something about what I'm seeing there around that re-purposed standoff feels pretty ghetto-fab... like maybe a custom bit of plastic on the end of the pushrod wire went south, so somebody used that standoff as a substitute.

I just can't see HP designing with that chunk of metal so close to live points on the PCB.
mnem
That was what it looked like before it broke.
It's definitely the original as there are no signs of flux around it. Also it's documented in the service manual that's how it's put together.
HP 3478A has the same switch but uses a plastic bar.
Farnell is being ridiculous. I’ve found a part in the right category and want to look at more so I click one level up in the “directory path”. Page not found. Another level up. Page not found. This is basic stuff Farnell.